• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both of these decks seem interesting, Jeskai Flash and G/B Graveyard.

Splashing red just for Harnessed Lightning (and Wandering Fumarole) is unexpected.

EDIT: Ghoulsteed?!

Wulfric

Well, the way I see it, the cards you are trading away are more replacable then the high demand reserved list cards you're getting. MP/HP though...

We had our LGS owner grade the duals, mostly it was yellowing on the front and whitening on the backside borders. Not too bad imo, but they're more difficult to resell.

I just figured it would be a decent idea since Modern Masters is coming out earlier than usual and my cards seem like decent reprint targets. Noble Hierach and Finks have more than doubled since I got my copies.

Hovis beat the crap out of me at Game Day with that deck. He lost 2x Nissa out of it at rotation, I think. It was just really efficient at going wide and recursion.

PsionBolt

I think I like monocolours a lot more than most folks. Like, for example, even though I'm not a huge fan of black, I'm a huge fan of Phyrexian Obliterator. Now that's a card that knows what it means to be monocolour! I'd say my preferences are something like...

R > U > W >>> UR > WUR > B >>> G > WR > UB >>> everything else > UG.

Even in the colour combos I do like, I mostly like running monocolour cards. I kinda like UWR piles primarily because you can throw together all the best 1-CMC spells and have a great time -- access to multicolour cards like Lightning Helix is just a bonus, really.

sibarraz

Banned
Well, I enjoyed Magic Duels but it took me so long to find a match that I decided that it wasn't worthy to pour money on it.

But thanks to the game I want to play on paper now, and since my brother has a hobby store I could build some things at factory price, so which are the recomended things to buy to start playing? Which editions should I look for?

Well, I enjoyed Magic Duels but it took me so long to find a match that I decided that it wasn't worthy to pour money on it.

But thanks to the game I want to play on paper now, and since my brother has a hobby store I could build some things at factory price, so which are the recomended things to buy to start playing? Which editions should I look for?

If you want to play at the store, then the format most commonly played will likely be Standard. Though they aren't very strong, the Planeswalker Decks are designed for you to be able to bring them to Friday Night Magic events and play Standard.

Now if you just want to play casually, there are a lot more options available to your for starting decks.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
erdLXHy.jpg

feelsgoodman.gif

Gotta say, photos online don't do these things justice. Gorgeous when you see one in the real world.

sibarraz

Banned
If you want to play at the store, then the format most commonly played will likely be Standard. Though they aren't very strong, the Planeswalker Decks are designed for you to be able to bring them to Friday Night Magic events and play Standard.

Now if you just want to play casually, there are a lot more options available to your for starting decks.

Sounds good, of the 2 avaliable, which one is the better to upgrade?

Sounds good, of the 2 avaliable, which one is the better to upgrade?

Both are roughly the same as a starting point, so think more about what sort of deck you want. Chandra's deck is red/white, based around artifacts and vehicles, while Nissa's is green/blue, based on energy and big creatures.

Firemind

then why even play fevered visions wut

i thought fevered visions was supposed to be good once dromoka's command rotated out

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Having played this set in limited a little I'm telling you it is pretty great and I played it with a relative newbie and he said it was his favorite set he's ever played.

El Topo

Never spend money on Magic Duels. There is no lasting value. It's fun enough (for me at least) to check out once a day for a match or two though.

Without Collected Company (and Dromoka's Command), we're back to the typical cycle of aggro being stronger at the start of the format, since that's a safe deck style that everyone understands, with control increasing in strength later as people better understand what cards will be played.

I expect Fevered Visions will come back later.

Without Collected Company (and Dromoka's Command), we're back to the typical cycle of aggro being stronger at the start of the format, since that's a safe deck style that everyone understands, with control increasing in strength later as people better understand what cards will be played.

I expect Fevered Visions will come back later.

Fastlands will make the format more aggressive. I don't think the new control cards are all that exciting.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";218811362]Fastlands will make the format more aggressive. I don't think the new control cards are all that exciting.[/QUOTE]

Fumigate and instant speed removal sucks, even if you got that covered now you have no answer to lili and lose to her emblem.

Redid my GW list to test my theory of my GB list only being good because I played Gearhulk and Copter and Westvale Abbey.

kjhlkjs2qlq.png

...and to be honest I still have no idea. I'm still just winning with gearhulk and copter. The GB deck is slightly better with Abbey and has a better sideboard, but more of the GW maindeck cards can stand on their own. I wonder how good Toolcraft Exemplar would be in this deck, though. I'm already playing 12 artifacts and the Trackers in the board can bump that up to 16. I'm not really taking advantage of the 2nd half of Sylvan Advocate and it's a mild nonbo with Smuggler's Copter since I don't have anything that costs more than 5 other than Westvale Abbey activations.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't like that guy's Temur build at ALL.

Adding Kozilek's Return it requires you to play a third color, increase your land count and cut blockers to play Tormenting Hugs so you can get it in the yard. But activating Marvel for Ulamog is already independently a powerful play. That line is much better just playing Temur Emerge.

Took a look at BBD's GW deck and updated mine with some ideas:

kjhlkj14un6.png

I think Selfless Spirit is enough to protect the Warden and it's insane with Gearhulk. Plus, the Selfless Spirit + Avacyn combo can win games on its own.

Bandini

Yesterday we did a 4 player Conspiracy draft. In game two I cast Platinum Angel then used Daretti's ultimate to make 3 copies of it. That felt pretty good.

Top 8 starting now. R/W Vehicles vs. Grixis Emerge (running Perpetual Timepiece).

EDIT: Vehicles was completely dismantled by Kozilek's Return and the graveyard recursion.

EDIT: It feels like it's been a long time since, "You're at 5, burn you for 6," has happened in Standard.

EDIT: Bomat Courier seems to be working out pretty well.

EDIT: Happy to see Smuggler's Copter attack -> discard Fiery Temper.

EDIT: From the commentary, Skysovereign has actually been pretty bad this tournament?

EDIT: Uh, no one noticing that Hagen should have spent that one energy for the Aether Hub activation? EDIT: Oh right, Boumat Courier is colorless.

EDIT: Weaver of Lightning is really doing work. Hagen should have prioritized killing that.

EDIT: Final will be R/W Vehicles vs. Grixis Emerge again.

Trying the Gearhulk Explosion deck replacing the Tormenting Voices for Collective Brutalities. Seems to be a good move so far. Build's a little more interactive overall now:

kjhlkjbujb5.png

OnPoint

Top 8 starting now. R/W Vehicles vs. Grixis Emerge (running Perpetual Timepiece).

EDIT: Vehicles was completely dismantled by Kozilek's Return and the graveyard recursion.

EDIT: It feels like it's been a long time since, "You're at 5, burn you for 6," has happened in Standard.

EDIT: Bomat Courier seems to be working out pretty well.

EDIT: Happy to see Smuggler's Copter attack -> discard Fiery Temper.

EDIT: From the commentary, Skysovereign has actually been pretty bad this tournament?

EDIT: Uh, no one noticing that Hagen should have spent that one energy for the Aether Hub activation? EDIT: Oh right, Boumat Courier is colorless.

EDIT: Weaver of Lightning is really doing work. Hagen should have prioritized killing that.

EDIT: Final will be R/W Vehicles vs. Grixis Emerge again.
Who won?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I am moist for a Grixis Emerge deck list.

Edit: Here it is! I had a feeling Neonate would be in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom