• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ReCore getting a free 30min trial today on XB1 & Win10

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Are they supporting the game via patches and bug fixes? If so, I'll definitely try it out. I don't want to fall in love with a buggy mess that will forever remain as such.

Just played the 30 minutes demo, whilst I really want more, I sorta feel like it's gonna get boring quick...

but i still want more

Any reason why I can't select a resolution past 1080 and why the game renders only at 720p despite selecting 1080p? I have a 4k TV btw

psyfi

Banned
Cool, I think I'll try this out. I know reviews were mediocre, but it looks fun and I'll just resell it if I don't like it. :)

Were you able to do any platforming like this in the demo?

Impressive Ass Platforming

This looks to be the most interesting part of the game to me.

You won't get to any dungeons like that in the first half an hour, sorry. I've only tried a couple of those traversal dungeons and while they can drive you fucking INSANE trying to get all the objectives, it's unbelievably satisfying when you finally get it done.

The best part is that, apart from some respawn points being stupidly and unforgivably broken (although I think they are patching those?), the controls are tight enough that if you die while platforming it's almost always because you made a mistake and not the game screwing you over.

KiraXD

Think you can get arround 150 easy in 30 min. :)

ha yeah ended up with 130... but, more importantly, i ended up liking the game more than i thought i would. may end up buying it. (i assume that was the point of the trial.. so... mission accomplished ms... lol.)

...The best part is that, apart from some respawn points being stupidly and unforgivably broken (although I think they are patching those?), the controls are tight enough that if you die while platforming it's almost always because you made a mistake and not the game screwing you over.

Agree completely, and that's a really helpful video. From 0:33 to 0:38, you can see how the grappling hook works: when the player orients Joule so that the target (a yellow dot on those rails that the player is traversing) comes closer to the middle of the screen, the 'attach' icon appears, and the player can press 'X' to attach to the rail.

But from 2:40 to 2:45, the player waits too long to orient Joule towards the rail, and thus almost misses his chance to attach: you'll see that the 'attach' icon appeared for only the briefest fraction of a second (at the top-left of the screen, around 2:44), just as the player was about to fall to his death. But you'll also notice that Joule's orientation was entirely under his control during this time: his nearness to death in this case was due to his delay (he might have been rushing just a bit, under pressure) in orienting Joule toward the target, but as soon as he re-oriented himself in the right direction, the 'attach' icon appeared.

As he notes in the comments: "Just so you know how difficult this is. Have to do this under 3 mins, shoot all 10 switches, and collect the hidden yellow key. All in a single run. Hard. But good hard. I miss quality platforming. -Brad"

Sydle

That's pretty far into the game, so that's a no for the demo. The final area has more crazy stuff than what's going on there.

Again, if the platform mechanics and exploration grab you I'd highly recommend it.

4jjiyoon

tried the trial on xbox one and it was surprisingly fun

i wasn't sure if i would like it but yeah it was good fun

definitely going to get it later on when it's cheaper

30 minutes really isn't enough, they should end it when you get through the first dungeon. It's a fun game, it has its flaws, but I still really enjoyed it.

30 minutes really isn't enough, they should end it when you get through the first dungeon. It's a fun game, it has its flaws, but I still really enjoyed it.

....but I finished the first dungeon, got back to home base and fixed my dog, and got well into the next area in the 30 minutes. I felt like 30 minutes was a good taste and I want to play the rest now. I liked it faaaar more than I thought I would. Definitely going to pick it up soon. (After I finish Gears 4)

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Fun game, tight controls.

Where is the location of the download? And can I change it to another drive?

DMONKUMA

It was alright for the type of game it is.

Not really my cup of tea but it's something people should check out and I also agree demo time is rather short.

Arkanius

The controls are tight. Reminds me of PS2 era games.
Still unsure about the price though. Feels a 30€ game.

Performance was fine at 2560x1440 with a 980 Ti. I had drops when opening doors though. What the heck?

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Also, how the heck do you display FPS in Windows games? FRAPS doesn't work.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I love this game. So glad I got to try the 30-minute trial. The reviews (specifically framerate/graphics stuff) scared me off, but I can't say I agree with them at all. Really, really enjoying this right now.

I'll probably pick it up this weekend.

jediyoshi

Fun game, tight controls.

Where is the location of the download? And can I change it to another drive?

Technically, Windows has this feature

Windows Settings -> System -> Apps & features -> click app, click move

But it's ass and I've never seen it work on any UWP game I've tried

Duxxy3

I liked what I played. Got up to the pylon console. The demo didn't get me to buy the game right now, but I'll pick it up after this rather busy season.

Carlius

Banned
30 mins...15 of which were spent trying to run the game..cause everytime i restart the game with a blank screen for 2 minutes, it counts...awesome

Alright, my free trial just ended. Here are my thoughts.

The character controls very well and quite smoothly. I always felt like I was in control, and the platforming was precise. Overall, the player character just felt great to control. I also enjoyed the way she interacted with her mechanical dog companion; it was very cute.

The combat wasn't awful, but it's also not compelling or interesting. In fact, it's not challenging at all. I could sense that it would get very tiring as the game wears on. However, like the character's movements, shooting felt seamless enough that it would never outright become horrible. Very mixed bag here, and I can say that if the platforming doesn't largely carry the experience in interesting ways, it will become old quickly.

The environment in the trial I played was pretty bland and largely devoid of interesting level design. The character design is definitely the highlight here, though that's ultimately inconsequential.

The game's musical score is delightful and fits right at home with the game's aesthetic. This was a highlight of 30-minute session.

I walked away with mixed feelings. I'd like to give the full game a spin to confirm my suspicions or have them totally repudiated, but not until I can acquire it at a deep discount.

Cday

Banned
Played it, got 140 free cheevos. Going to get it when it's cheaper.

Should look and run better and by look I mean there are rampant low res textures and jaggies everywhere. Xbox One version.

Kacho

Yeah, I dug it. Definitely want to play more but I have too many games to play through at the moment. Loved the music especially.

I was almost sold on the game after Jeff's and Brad's opinions on the bombcast. And if they're doing any sorts of corrections at all via updates then I think I'll bite soon enough.

PaulloDEC

The combat wasn't awful, but it's also not compelling or interesting. In fact, it's not challenging at all. I could sense that it would get very tiring as the game wears on. However, like the character's movements, shooting felt seamless enough that it would never outright become horrible. Very mixed bag here, and I can say that if the platforming doesn't largely carry the experience in interesting ways, it will become old quickly.

While the combat never really becomes super deep, it does get more interesting as the game progresses. Ultimately you'll have three ammo colours to switch between (fights will usually involve multiple enemy colours, so you'll be constantly switching on the fly), a charge shot for each that also stuns, two hot-swappable corebot pals at any one time who each have their own "lethal" attacks to use, and your extractor, which can be used to interrupt attacks as well as extract cores.

The most intense combat scenarios will be as much about movement and positioning as firepower though, and the real challenge becomes juggling your offensive abilities while dodging attacks and dashing in and out of danger.

"play the early part of this game when it's still really good before it goes to shit afew hours in..."

Ehh, I wouldn't say the game goes to shit a few hours in. The
story does, and the pacing gets kinda rocky
, but the core (haha) gameplay stayed fun for me all the way through.

Backlogger

Spent 5 minutes of my 30 minute trial trying to setup the video settings still can't get higher than a 720p option on my 1440p monitor....

Had fun with the trial. Ended up getting the red ammo and the second mysterious core at the phylon before it cut off 3 seconds later. I could see myself picking it up later, hopefully around black Friday.

oakenhild

Theres probably even less people with 21:9 screens then 4K HDTV's...so probably not ;)

This is a pretty big deal to me now. Hard to buy games without 21:9 support (for premium prices) these days. The game has to be really good (Overwatch is the last one) for me to overlook having the black bars on the side.

wwm0nkey

Got it to work just fine, Ran pretty good on my PC, will be getting it when I get my $10 gift card from Microsoft rewards because it is a pretty fun game but just not $40 price for me

Mohasus

I liked it. Performed really well on my PC (just a 3570k + GTX 970 combo).

I was expecting waaay worse. Might buy it during a sale.

Really nice to see Microsoft and Armature committing to improving the game post-launch.

If loading times are improved on Xbox, then unfortunately I'm not seeing much of a difference after the update. Well, I hope they at least fix the respawn to death bugs in the game.

For specific feedback on the latest update, worth taking a look at the following post from reddit, and/or perhaps a few of the 153 responses: https://www.reddit.com/r/xboxone/comments/55ynsb/anyone_on_the_fence_should_buy_recore_now_great/

Some excerpts from the OP:

FlameCats @ reddit said:
  • ...Loading times differ, but roughly 30 - 75% better depending on the area... These are all on the OG Xbox One.
  • The respawn glitch where you would instantly die in platforming dungeons, is completely fixed with better respawn points that don't spawn you near the rolling balls
  • All achievements I was working on that had bugged, loaded immediately
  • Some slight texture work on the enemies (cannot confirm), the visuals are cleaner and sharper especially on Joule and Violet, metal textures seemed to be sharper and improved, the Prismatic cores look nicer as well, some of the dungeons look much sharper. Less blur and jaggies...
  • Before the update I would have extraction glitches, these seem to be fixed...

Here's the official description of the two patches that have been released so far:

09/22/16: Patch #1 – Xbox One
10/04/16: Patch #2 – Xbox One & PC

Incidentally, the OP at reddit has a take on the combat (and a sense of humor) that closely matches PaulloDEC's (or perhaps the core puns are just irresistible):
While the combat never really becomes super deep, it does get more interesting as the game progresses. Ultimately you'll have three ammo colours to switch between (fights will usually involve multiple enemy colours, so you'll be constantly switching on the fly), a charge shot for each that also stuns, two hot-swappable corebot pals at any one time who each have their own "lethal" attacks to use, and your extractor, which can be used to interrupt attacks as well as extract cores. The most intense combat scenarios will be as much about movement and positioning as firepower though, and the real challenge becomes juggling your offensive abilities while dodging attacks and dashing in and out of danger... the core (haha) gameplay stayed fun for me all the way through.

FlameCats @ reddit said:
...The core game is very fun, and anyone wanting something new I'd recommend this game especially if you enjoy games like Metroid Prime, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Megaman Legends with Metroidvania styled backtracking and powerups, intense and frenetic but smooth platforming and later on it has some quite chaotic battles that make up for the seemingly simple battle system.

Head.spawn

Why the hell won't this game go higher than 720p?

Also, the timer is bogus. I ended the game, a notification popped up and said 11 minutes left. Returned to the game a few minutes later (I was trying to figure out why the hell it was stuck at 720p) and it started up stating I had 8 minutes left.

Bullocks.

I'll try the game out another time I guess.

JimiNutz

Banned
Was very interested in this but then put off by reviews so I'll definitely give this a go.
Really pleased to see that they are still patching and supporting the game too.

Was sold on the demo last night that I bought the game as spins as my time was up.

It's a pretty laid back platformer, nothing is too difficult.

Although took me ages to defeat the first boss coz I didn't realise the extractor is like a fishing rope and you gotta reel em in by wobbling the right stick essentially!

All in all, I'm like looking forward to getting home and relaxing with recore this evening!

cireza

That's the most difficult dungeon. I completed it recently. It does not unlock until the last part of the game.

If you love platform games that require some good skill, Recore has a lot to offer.

CloakBass

I want to give this trial a go, but I guess need the Windows Anniversary Update. Just going to avoid that situation altogether considering the stories I'm hearing about errors, incompatibilities and lost data.

Top Bottom