• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade |OT| The Adventure Begins

RPGCrazied

The_Technomancer said:
Oh man, I seriously need to stay out of this thread. It just makes the wait/uncertainty worse :(

Tell me about it. =/ I'm just waiting on the word, before I go buy a Wii. :p

desu

Guess I shouldn't post screens then, won't make it easier:D !

Anyway Bebpo, I need your help with a Colony 9 quest.

I am looking for ウィンド・ヴァンプ (5) but I have no clue where and when to look for them. Actually I have checked all locations where I would think they could be, and killed all enemies there and got at least rare drops once, but I just didn't find those. Wonder if you got those and if you remember where I can get them?

RPGCrazied

desu said:

I am looking for ウィンド・ヴァンプ (5) but I have no clue where and when to look for them. Actually I have checked all locations where I would think they could be, and killed all enemies there and got at least rare drops once, but I just didn't find those. Wonder if you got those and if you remember where I can get them?

I don't mind screens! Long as its not like story bosses or whatever.

The Judge

desu said:

They're in Tefla, more specifically in the room with the pool of water and beam of light. There's a few there and IIRC a few a bit further, where there is a smaller pool of water and a few spiders.

desu

The Judge said:
They're in Tefla, more specifically in the room with the pool of water and beam of light. There's a few there and IIRC a few a bit further, where there is a smaller pool of water and a few spiders.

Thanks a lot, I should pay more attention to reading. Found it and now triggered like 10-20 new quests :D.

Bebpo

Banned
Man, the difficulty really ramped up in the part I'm at now,
the sword
. Even with having done like 90% of the quests and having all the best equip and lots of AP in my arts, I'm finding it pretty tough at times in this area. Mainly just big enemies or bosses since they are often immune to being knocked down and OMG POISON HITTING YOU IS SO BAD; HPs drop fast and everyone is dying >_<. Had two fights already where I won at the very last second with everyone dead except shulk and the boss down to 5% hp and about to strike the final blow and I do shulk's strongest attack and win. I need to equip some poison resist gems asap.

The non-unique normal
giant robot base
enemy lvl.52/53 was really tough for me at lvl.52 party. Even with my best party of shulk/dunban/karna it took me about 20 mins of 5-8 retries until I took it down just barely. I've noticed that your AI people don't revive each other when one of them dies. That's...not good. So on hard fights you really gotta stick close to your other people so you can personally revive them if one falls. It also doesn't help that you can't turn off auto-attack so you're aggro-ing the boss while trying to run and revive your dead healer with your life flashing in red. Does not end well at times. I think for hard bosses it's better to play as the tank because it seems like even if you have a tank in your party, the bosses will be targeting the character you control most of the time. Either that or the healer so you time your party heals just right. I always seem to have the most trouble playing as shulk since my tank/healer aren't as smart as I'd like them to be ^^;

DarkPanda said:
Does Dunban only have one arm?

No? ^^;

desu

RPGCrazied said:
I want this game, bad. =(

can you importers take more screens? lol

Okay, one thing, I switched from playing on the Wii to playing on emulator. Before I got the game someone posted screens of how the game looks like emulated. So once I got the game later and after playing it for a moment on the wii ... I simply couldnt get out of my head how much better it looked emulated. Luckily the game runs decently on my pc...

All screens from Elto Sea (which is like between 10-20h (I don't remember the exact time) into the game).

More screens maybe later this week.

Bebpo

Banned
Looks nice. Makes me wish I had played it on an emulator instead. Then I wouldn't be spending another $200 for a replacement Wii so I can finish the game :X

My GPU pixelation errors have been getting worse as I get further into the game. It's really bad right now and nothing kills a dramatic scene than having rainbow dots flickering all around on top of the characters talking :( I think I'm gonna take a break from the game for a few days until I get my new Wii and hack it to region free and move over my save game file.

xenobladeset02.jpg

:\

Here's a non-pixel screen to make up for the gross pic above

xenobladeset03.jpg

dili

Riki looks like the chu-chu of this series. I was hoping they would have avoided these cutesy mascot characters for Xenoblade like Xenosaga did, but oh well.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, but Xenosaga had Momo.

funny animals > loli girls :p

Serious answer: mascot characters add much needed light-heartedness to keep the games from being too serious all the time.

Yeah how exactly does playing on an emulator work? I am pretty sure my PC would run it fine. Is it hard to set up? Can you transfer a save over?

My pixellation issue is still there, but has been more subdued the last few times I have played. Still tends to get more noticable during night scenes.

Yeah I actually kind of like Riki. Especially when you find out he is a
Middle aged deadbeat with 6 kids that was forced into being the hero because he owed the whole town money
lolol

RPGCrazied

desu said:
Okay, one thing, I switched from playing on the Wii to playing on emulator. Before I got the game someone posted screens of how the game looks like emulated. So once I got the game later and after playing it for a moment on the wii ... I simply couldnt get out of my head how much better it looked emulated. Luckily the game runs decently on my pc...

All screens from Elto Sea (which is like between 10-20h (I don't remember the exact time) into the game).

More screens maybe later this week.

Thanks you guys!

Is there only 3 characters in this game?

Varion

Son of a bitch those Dolphin screens look nice. Pretty sure I couldn't run it on here, but from the distance I sit at the game looks just fine on the Wii anyway. The Elto Sea in particularly looked really amazing, with the big open starry sky above you raining bits of stardust down, and the city miles up in the distance - which you can look all the way down from and see everything below. They really pushed the boat out for the Wii with this one.

Finally on the sword now myself, and that theory of yours looks pretty likely to play out, Bebpo. Wouldn't mind if it did, quite like the theory. The plot's really got a lot more interesting since hitting Elto, and while some of the twists have been predictable there's a whole of other stuff that doesn't seem predictable at all. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this ends.

(Is this the point where I point out I haven't actually played Xenogears? :lol )

Bebpo

Banned
Varion said:
(Is this the point where I point out I haven't actually played Xenogears? :lol )

There needs to be a gaf replay of XG one of these days. Last one was almost 2 years ago. Game still holds up pretty well I think, I mean people in the last replay thread were playing it for their first time and thought it still held up: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13084596&postcount=176

I played XG for the first time well into the PS2 lifetime before XSep1 came out and I felt it held up perfect back then as well.

Varion

Bebpo said:
There needs to be a gaf replay of XG one of these days. Last one was almost 2 years ago. Game still holds up pretty well I think, I mean people in the last replay thread were playing it for their first time and thought it still held up: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13084596&postcount=176

I played XG for the first time well into the PS2 lifetime before XSep1 came out and I felt it held up perfect back then as well.
Something like that would make it easier to motivate myself, definitely. After playing this I do do intend to play through Gears sometime (it's only 600 Yen on PSN), just don't know when I'll get round to it.

I could probably replay XG. I have very vague memories of playing it when it first came out. I do remember that I loved the combat and the characters. The story got too out of control for my own tastes though.

Oh and that one dungeon later in the game that was basically a maze where almost every room or corridor looked the same. :mad:

Mashing

Bebpo said:

I don't want to even fathom what a PS1 game looks like on a 1080P tv.

Bebpo said:

I didn't finish my play through because of the awful disc two though.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, desu, can you post your settings for how you got the game to look that nice. Whenever I look at the emu it just seems complicated as heck and you need to really adjust settings to get anything to look/run well.

Yeah I am also curious about the emulator. If I can carry over my saves I might just try it later today. I don't want xenoblade to completely kill my wii.

Bebpo

Banned
BudokaiMR2 said:
Yeah I am also curious about the emulator. If I can carry over my saves I might just try it later today. I don't want xenoblade to completely kill my wii.

Hmmm, yeah I hadn't even thought about that. If I can move my save file over I may very well continue the game on my pc if it runs/looks just as good or better.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Bebpo said:

I'd definitely be up for one of those in the future! it's been three years or so since i played it for the first time.

desu

Bebpo said:
Yeah, desu, can you post your settings for how you got the game to look that nice. Whenever I look at the emu it just seems complicated as heck and you need to really adjust settings to get anything to look/run well.

I used the standard settings from the Dolphin thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395121

Worked out pretty well, you just need a decent PC and a good input device (I am plaiyng with a PS3 pad :D).

jett said:
Does the story in this game have anything to do with Xenosaga/gears?

No. They threw the xeno name in there as a ruse to get fans excited way to say that the same themes in the previous Xeno games are present here.

DarkPanda

Bebpo said:

Whoops, my bad. For some reason (I blame solar flares!), it looked like his left arm didn't exist in the shots you posted. Now that I look again though, I can see it. I'm blind, obviously.

B.K.

jett said:
Does the story in this game have anything to do with Xenosaga/gears?

No. They just used the Xeno name as a marketing tool to get more sales. Looks like it's working so far.

Bebpo

Banned
desu said:
I used the standard settings from the Dolphin thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395121

Worked out pretty well, you just need a decent PC and a good input device (I am plaiyng with a PS3 pad :D).

I messed around with it for an hour and boy did it look nice, but it didn't run smooth enough for me and the sound was very scratchy sounding and stuttered a lot :( Also couldn't get v-sync working and it liked to tear. Not sure if it's just my PC (i7 4ghz, 9800 GTX+, 6gigs ram, W7) or just not the right settings. The sound is what bugged me the most. Must've been doing something wrong.

kiryogi

Banned
So could I transfer my save from the wii for dolphin use? I got it to run on Dolphin but I'm having sound issues as well. The scratchy and stuttering. >_< That said, back on the wii, every time I get to a new area. Even in the low resolution, the scope of this game is just astounding.

Bebpo

Banned
Like I thought, I found the quest for Dunban's 4th skill tree. It's
In the mountains, the final power balance quest
. So now I've found Dunban, Meria, Shulk's 4th. Wonder where Rein/Karna have theirs. I'm behind on quests in the
Colony 6 area & the Nopon tree
so I'm guessing they are there.

kiryogi said:
So could I transfer my save from the wii for dolphin use? I got it to run on Dolphin but I'm having sound issues as well. The scratchy and stuttering. >_< That said, back on the wii, every time I get to a new area. Even in the low resolution, the scope of this game is just astounding.

Yeah, transferring saves totally works. Put it on SD card, hook SD to your pc, import save.

kiryogi

Banned
Bebpo said:
Yeah, transferring saves totally works. Put it on SD card, hook SD to your pc, import save.
So awesome. I'll make this leap once we figure out this sound issue. To note my setup:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 (3.4 ghz quad)
8 gigs of ram
Radeon 5750
Windows 7 64bit.

Also I was using 360 pad XD Though, I wonder if I was the only one in this thread using wiimote+nunchuk on the Wii. It felt pretty natural to me.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい

desu

Hmmm, I guess the sound is the biggest issue right now. Seems that currently the sound emulation is faaaar behind the graphic emulation. I guess you just gotta wait for a new sound plugin to appear. The sound problems however are not permanent for me. I played large parts of the game with perfect flowing music and then more than enough with stuttering. Especially using save states (love them) likes to mess the sound up. I guess you have to decide on your own if you can live with a few sound problems or not. I simply couldn't go back to wii graphics after seeing it in hd... (maybe one day there will be a far better sound plugin and you can try again).

As for Bebpo and kiryogi, both your systems are at least as powerful as mine (W7 x64, Q6600, 6GB Ram and GTX 275@285). You really should get awesome speeds (except that there are unknown factors limited the performance). Apparently CPU is the most important thing so Bebpo's i7 is actually the thing I would choose to get better results then I have now. I can only say that you should try messing around with the settings (dolphin forums also have some guides up). In gerenal I think the whole emulation issue is better suited for the dolphin thread as I doubt people want to read tons of posts about emulation in a Xenoblade thread and the dolphin thread has probably more people that emulate more than just a single game.

To get back on topic, batch 2 of pics: (these are very mixed from parts before Elto Sea until the part where Bebpo is right now which is the sword).

Bebpo said:
Like I thought, I found the quest for Dunban's 4th skill tree. It's
In the mountains, the final power balance quest
. So now I've found Dunban, Meria, Shulk's 4th. Wonder where Rein/Karna have theirs. I'm behind on quests in the
Colony 6 area & the Nopon tree
so I'm guessing they are there.

Actually according to the wiki, Rain's is in
Colony 6
, also seeing it right on the wiki, there are actually 2 "hidden" skill trees.

Yeah I finally got the emulator working, but my performance is pretty subpar (i7 920, 6GB ram, HD 4870, W7)

I am especially having problems with the sound. It constantly stutters in cutscene speech and the music sometimes seems to get stuck.

My frames per second seem to be from 20-25. I guess my rig just can't really pull it off well...

desu

BudokaiMR2 said:
My frames per second seem to be from 20-25. I guess my rig just can't really pull it off well...

Hm thats not enough for you? I think I have the same or even a bit less. However when you play it feels totally fluid. The only thing I noticed in contrast to the wii version that it feels a bit slower, however since I played 50h+ with the emulated version, it stopped noticing it.

Sound stutter, yes thats sadly a thing you have to decide on your own.

Yeah it is actually around 15-20 in battles and big areas.

I can't take the sound stutter though. It started in the middle of the battle and I would rather deal with lower resolution than hear that again :(

I think that Dolphin talk should be in the Dolphin thread... It doesn't really have anything to do with Xenoblade itself, that runs fine if you play it on Wii. ;)

Notorious_Roy said:
I think that Dolphin talk should be in the Dolphin thread... It doesn't really have anything to do with Xenoblade itself, that runs fine if you play it on Wii. ;)

No it actually doesn't when your Wii GPU is going kaput and pixels are popping up all over your screen :mad:

Bebpo

Banned
PumpkinPie said:
This is getting a NA release, right? If so, what are my options for playing it (I'm in PAL region)?

Not announced yet. If it does come out in the US and not PAL for whatever reason, your best bet would be to mod your wii to be region free and import the game.

Top Bottom