• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero

Copter is dumb, knew that it was too good and it being colorless means it goes in virtually every deck. They have to ban it at some point.

Inkmoth Nexus, Become Immense, and Simian Spirit Guide all need to go.

Violet_0

Banned
do the Commander 2016 spoilers start dropping tomorrow?

I'm currently eyeing either a Narset spell-recycling deck (Mizzix is probably far stronger but he's boring, too popular, specificially designed for EDH and also sort of hated, as far as I can tell) or a Alesha creature recursion and token deck, or both at some point. If any of the new commanders happen to support the playstyles I'm looking for, I might go 4-colors

Santiako

I'm currently eyeing either a Narset spell-recycling deck (Mizzix is probably far stronger but he's boring, too popular, specificiallty desigened for EDH and also sort of hated, as far as I can tell) or a Alesha creature recursion and token deck, or both at some point. If any of the new commanders happen to support the playstyles I'm looking for, I might go 4-colors

Yes. Tomorrow. If you think Mizzix is hated, as soon as people see Narset they'll be gunning for you with the hatred of a thousand Trumps. I have an Alesha deck and I love it!

I'm currently eyeing either a Narset spell-recycling deck (Mizzix is probably far stronger but he's boring, too popular, specificiallty desigened for EDH and also sort of hated, as far as I can tell) or a Alesha creature recursion and token deck, or both at some point. If any of the new commanders happen to support the playstyles I'm looking for, I might go 4-colors

Yes, yes they do. :)

I'm hoping to get my Leovold deck finished soon, which would be my first Commander that was designed for... Commander.
Though I got to play Daretti a couple of weeks ago and wow was he a blast to play! However that version of him really made a long game. Stax with land destruction.
I haven't played Oloro Enchantments in a long time just because I didn't have a clear cut win condition.
Lastly, my Prossh deck is a favorite, mostly built for 1 vs 1 (Duel/French) Commander but can do some work in multiplayer as well.

Violet_0

Banned
Yes. Tomorrow. If you think Mizzix is hated, as soon as people see Narset they'll be gunning for you with the hatred of a thousand Trumps. I have an Alesha deck and I love it!

Narset is 6 mana though, and needs to attack. Jeleva for example looks like an all-around better commander

Alesha is pretty awesome. I hate decks that need to win early game or run out of steam quickly, but with Assemble the Legion, Mardu Ascendancy, all the repeatable graveyard recursion effects from white and black and lots of cheap token creators like Hanweir Garrison and Hero of Bladehold I feel there's viable deck here that doesn't just fold after the first boardwipe. Plus, I think it would be cool to play a deck that focuses on the low-cost minions

Firemind

Narset is 6 mana though, and needs to attack. Jeleva for example looks like an all-around better commander
What? Jeleva also needs to attack to do anything unless you somehow want to mill your opponents. You can't really build around her ability either. Grixis needs some better commanders. They all suck except for Nekusar.

Alesha is pretty awesome. I hate decks that need to win early game or run out of steam quickly, but with Assemble the Legion, Mardu Ascendancy, all the repeatable graveyard recursion effects from white and black and lots of cheap token creators like Hanweir Garrison and Hero of Bladehold I feel there's viable deck here that doesn't just fold after the first boardwipe. Plus, I think it would be cool to play a deck that focuses on the low-cost minions

Assemble the Legion+ Descent into Madness is one of, if not the best stupid combo in Mardu Commander You have Assemble out first, then Descent, then stack the triggers so Assemble resolves first, saccing all the tokens to Descent.

I've heard it been dubbed as the Zapp Brannigan approach, where you overwhelm your opponents by just grinding them to death with a bunch of Soldiers.

Violet_0

Banned
What? Jeleva also needs to attack to do anything unless you somehow want to mill your opponents. You can't really build around her ability either. Grixis needs some better commanders. They all suck except for Nekusar.

yeah, but she's four mana, flying, and you get to choose from a much larger pool of cards on every attack

though you'd need to find a way to re-cast her repeatedly to really make her viable I guess, and she doesn't have the hexproof

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Would Gitaxian Probe be a reasonable card for ban? It makes a lot of the hyperaggro safer and more consistent.

MoxManiac

I'm currently eyeing either a Narset spell-recycling deck (Mizzix is probably far stronger but he's boring, too popular, specificially designed for EDH and also sort of hated, as far as I can tell) or a Alesha creature recursion and token deck, or both at some point. If any of the new commanders happen to support the playstyles I'm looking for, I might go 4-colors

Mizzix is a she :p

ElyrionX

I mean, looking at the day 2 Metagame:
http://www.starcitygames.com/events/coverage/3891_day_2_metagame_breakdown_.html

Tier 1(Any deck above 3?) is Dredge, Burn, Infect, Affinity, Bant Eldrazi, Jund, and Elves. That's not good by any stretch of the Imagination.

I have been thinking about getting back in to Modern but this meta is ridiculous. Everything is just hyperaggro. Hard control is so dead.

Edit: I've been reading up on Esper Draw-Go Control but that deck sounds extremely hard to pilot with so little payoff for mastering it.

I caught the non-gameplay trailer for Dishonored 2 tonight, and thought how cool that would be for a Magic setting. The art direction looked fantastic. Though it does have some guns...

bigkrev

Just did a draft on MTGO, mulliganed to oblivion without getting any lands in 2 of my 3 matches, and promptly sold my collection.

I feel so much better right now

And everyone saw that coming whenever those cards were spoiled. Why doesn't WotC seem to care?

Because they don't design for Modern, they can always ban stuff later if they need to, and players as a whole are noticeably more whiny than is really constructive about format balance?

I was just listening to Drive to Work - Top 20 Creature Types, and MaRo mentioned as an aside that Mirri (the leonin) was killed off in the Weatherlight Saga because the people handling the story after him didn't like her. Did we know that? I don't think we knew that.

I mean the Creative team writing the Weatherlight Saga after they yanked it from Rosewater were sub-incompetent tier so this doesn't particularly surprise me any extra?

ElyrionX

Because they don't design for Modern, they can always ban stuff later if they need to, and players as a whole are noticeably more whiny than is really constructive about format balance?

I had a Twin deck and 2/3s of a Pod deck when they got banned. I am ok with the financial loss I suffered. But two years ago when I was looking to get into the format, I could choose from UWR control, Twin, Pod, Burn, Scapeshift, Abzan, Affinity, Tron, Infect and maybe even Bogles and Storm. Compare that to what we have today with control dead and combo barely alive. It's just aggro and more aggro.

Like I said above, I want to get back into the format but as someone who started this hobby two years ago with Esper Control in Standard, the current top tier Modern decks do not interest me in the slightest.

Santiako

I had a Twin deck and 2/3s of a Pod deck when they got banned. I am ok with the financial loss I suffered. But two years ago when I was looking to get into the format, I could choose from UWR control, Twin, Pod, Burn, Scapeshift, Abzan, Affinity, Tron, Infect and maybe even Bogles and Storm. Compare that to what we have today with control dead and combo barely alive. It's just aggro and more aggro.

Like I said above, I want to get back into the format but as someone who started this hobby two years ago with Esper Control in Standard, the current top tier Modern decks do not interest me in the slightest.

There are a lot of viable archetypes, Bant Spirits just won the SCG Open and it's not even tier 3. I do think that there are a few decks that are too good (Infect, Dredge mostly, and Bant Eldrazi could become a problem if it keeps growing) and a couple of bans/unbans would be helpful.

You need to stop brushing aside arguments and opinions as whiny.

I'm not talking about any particular argument here. WotC is always going to be inclined to ignore what people say about format balance because the communities that exist, in aggregate, across multiple distinct positions, are going to mostly present unbalanced positions lacking perspective or patience. The way people freak out about whatever new Standard card is apparently good each season is one aspect of this, just like the people who can't let it go when their pet card gets banned contribute from the opposite side.

The point is, if you want to ask why no one at WotC seems to care that Cathartic Reunion is good in Modern Dredge, a large part of it is that people's vocalized opinions really are irrelevant compared to the types of data they actually base these decisions on.

ElyrionX

I'm not talking about any particular argument here. WotC is always going to be inclined to ignore what people say about format balance because the communities that exist, in aggregate, across multiple distinct positions, are going to mostly present unbalanced positions lacking perspective or patience. The way people freak out about whatever new Standard card is apparently good each season is one aspect of this, just like the people who can't let it go when their pet card gets banned contribute from the opposite side.

The point is, if you want to ask why no one at WotC seems to care that Cathartic Reunion is good in Modern Dredge, a large part of it is that people's vocalized opinions really are irrelevant compared to the types of data they actually base these decisions on.

Like the sort of data they used while waiting years before banning Twin which they had only reprinted in a premium set just months before?

I mean, I think it's fair to say that Wizards isn't managing Modern as well as they could be, all things considered, but I'm not quite sure that they want to. I mean, my biggest issue is still that Wizards tries to set up these rules to guide the format but they seem to half ass the rules implementation. They say they don't want cheap/free spells in Modern, while we have Kamikazoo running effectively a 48 card deck because of the number of "free" cycling effects it has. They say that they don't want fast mana(and have banned every good ritual), but they continue to allow SSG. They've said they don't want any decks winning before turn 4 if they can't be interacted with, but Infect is at the point where it's getting consistent enough turn 2/3 kills even with removal by the opponent. They've said that they don't want too strong of card selection in Modern(Hence why Dig is banned), but Ancient Stirrings is a 1-Mana mini-dig for Eldrazi.

I mean if the goal is to make Modern be accessible from both Standard and more "balanced" then Legacy, then you'd think they'd at least try to keep the rules they've made somewhat intact, but they feel more like generic guidelines.

Granted, the Modern Meta is becoming somewhat cyclical, but the issue seems to be less " Which archetype is good" and more "What deck are people cutting sideboard hate for". Between Dredge and Affinity you've got anywhere from 4-8 sideboard slots taken up permanently. Granted, some of the anti-Dredge stuff stops other cards, but Affinity hate cards don't really do much in other matchups. These cards can be such a game changer that your win chance goes up drastically if you can open with them to the point where some view mulling for them to be crucial to victory.

I mean, is Modern bad right now? No, but it could be better.

kirblar

Like the sort of data they used while waiting years before banning Twin which they had only reprinted in a premium set just months before?
Twin was a case of "we know we need to ban it but are saving it until the PT hits".

It becoming a package rather than a standalone deck is when they finally realized how bad it was to have in the format.

This would have been a way better playmate.
Reddit said:
BTIf5rN.jpg
If only this had been an instant.

ironmang

Bannings should only be done when decks are clearly dominating the format. I don't care about the kaladesh cards improving dredge and infect. Unless they just ban those new cards but that's not really their style.

Wulfric

Ugh, last day of SCG was terrible. I lost all 3 rounds of my modern challenge, earned no prize tickets the entire weekend. I knew I'd be losing all my legacy games, but modern too? Good grief.

I don't know, maybe I'm not as good as I thought. I'm kind of considering moving into a different modern deck now that my current one looks to be outdated. Legacy is just going to to take some time to learn. Port is a lot of fun to use, imo.

Holy moly lots of dredge in the top 32 of modern.

bigkrev

Is Sublime Exhalation the first wrath that only needs a single colored mana to cast?

I think Partner is a cute way to allow for 4 color decks without having to design a bunch of 4 colored legends

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom