• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter: RDR2 Chances of Appearing On Nintendo Switch Are ‘Exceedingly Poor’

I feel bad for Pachter. Dude gets asked a question by somebody and simply answers it, it's turned into a news article and you get folks piling the shit on him. Absolutely pointless.

I wouldn't necessarily say I feel bad for him. But I do wonder why so many people seem oblivious as to how these sound bites come to us. He's not just shouting hot takes at anyone who will listen until someone finally does a new story about it. People request interviews with him and he does them. When asked a question you respond. It's pretty innocuous stuff. And yet people seem baffled as to what motivated Pachter to make yet another prognostication that is likely to be wrong because "OMG he's like the worst analyst ever amirite?" every single time a sound bite turns into a thread.

The only thing that is new about it is its size. The actual graphical power contained within is about on par with consoles of 10 years ago.

Keep digging and you might end up in China.

And yes, it does seem to be shaping up to be about as powerful as the Wii U based on the supposed leaked specs. Hope I'm wrong, though.

Based on the leaked specs, it's a pretty significant leap over Wii U.

18-Volt

They are not "deader than dead". People need to drop this fantasy of the Switch getting parity third support with Sony/Ms/PC and then maybe you will see a potential path for success for the product. Nintendo needs to stay in it's own lane and they can have success there, especially now that they are uniting their software development behind one platform.

They're "own lane" is long gone. They were in "their lane" previous gen and they have failed REALLY hard. There is no success with a console that only has Zelda, Mario and Donkey Kong, just forget it. If they want to be alive in today's environment, they have to adapt. They have to get every single bit of third party they can get. And those useless niche Japanese support won't help them a bit. They need games that people actually play. They need OverWatch, Destiny, Call of Duty, Titanfall, GTA. Otherwise all they'd have Monster Hunter and Etrian Odyssey.

They can't afford another Wii U. If that happens, you can be sure Nintendo will quit video game biz and go back making traditional toys.

SgtCobra

It's a pretty safe predicition if we could even call it one as he's just answering a question. Nothing more to add really.

I feel bad for Pachter. Dude gets asked a question by somebody and simply answers it, it's turned into a news article and you get folks piling the shit on him. Absolutely pointless.
Yep, Pachter threads are a mess with users making that same old ass joke that stopped being funny 2 years ago, people complaining about yet another Pachter thread (no one asked you to enter?) and salty Nintendo fans.

Unless he has sources he's just speaking from his own personal bias against Nintendo.
It's common sense.

Could the Switch even run GTA IV?
C'mon man :p pretty sure it can run GTA V better than last gen consoles.

Mariolee

*current gen open world games

And yes, it does seem to be shaping up to be about as powerful as the Wii U based on the supposed leaked specs. Hope I'm wrong, though.

BOTW is a current gen open world game. Wii U is a current gen console.

What of the specs is informing your opinion on the Switch only being as powerful as the Wii U?

And Ubisoft will release a few ports in earnest, Capcom might release a modified port of a 5-year-old game, and there'll always be the Lego games.

You're not WRONG. You also shouldn't get paid for the privelige.

MisterHero

C'mon man :p pretty sure it can run GTA V better than last gen consoles.
But can it run current gen GTAV? GTAO depends on that.

Heck, they could sell me GTAO by itself. Story Mode is eternally gimped even with the current versions. Collecting cars in single player is not fun at all.

And Ubisoft will release a few ports in earnest, Capcom might release a modified port of a 5-year-old game, and there'll always be the Lego games.

You're not WRONG. You also shouldn't get paid for the privelige.

People do realize that he doesn't get paid to offer hot takes about the video games industry right?

Logash

Um I don't get people shitting on Pachter. Sure it is obvious and not news but it's not patchers fault they made it into an article and it's not his fault someone thought it was thread worthy.

I wouldn't necessarily say I feel bad for him. But I do wonder why so many people seem oblivious as to how these sound bites come to us. He's not just shouting hot takes at anyone who will listen until someone finally does a new story about it. People request interviews with him and he does them. When asked a question you respond. It's pretty innocuous stuff. And yet people seem baffled as to what motivated Pachter to make yet another prognostication that is likely to be wrong because "OMG he's like the worst analyst ever amirite?" every single time a sound bite turns into a thread.

On top of all of this, Pachter is more right than he is wrong.

krae_man

People should know this going in. No one bothers to read the OP and see it's a clickbait site that always tries to find seemingly "outlandish" statements from industry people by asking dumb questions and make articles out of it. They read the title and decide to pile on for no reason.

They're not "ramblings". He's an analyst. He's not making a "prediction", he's not "making a statement". He gets a request for an interview, he gets asked a question, and answers.

Anybody can do his job huh? Right. I won't even get into how dumb it is to proclaim such a blanket statement about another profession, especially market analysis, but sure, go ahead.

To be fair, sanstesy didn't say anybody could do Pachter's job well.

Doctre81

Pretty much. From what we've seen so far, it corresponds to about the WiiU in terms of power, which itself was about on par with the X360/PS3. So yeah, about 10-year-old hardware. (In home console tech, that is. For portable tech, it is rather amazing.)

Watch out we got a tech wiz over here lol.

The cpu will more than likely outperform the cpu in even the ps4 pro (depending on how many cores it ends up with) and gpu wise it is several times better than what is in WiiU and based on a newer architecture (pascal) than all three.

They're "own lane" is long gone. They were in "their lane" previous gen and they have failed REALLY hard. There is no success with a console that only has Zelda, Mario and Donkey Kong, just forget it. If they want to be alive in today's environment, they have to adapt. They have to get every single bit of third party they can get. And those useless niche Japanese support won't help them a bit. They need games that people actually play. They need OverWatch, Destiny, Call of Duty, Titanfall, GTA. Otherwise all they'd have Monster Hunter and Etrian Odyssey.

They can't afford another Wii U. If that happens, you can be sure Nintendo will quit video game biz and go back making traditional toys.

You don't "adapt" by just offering people the same things they can get (and are getting) elsewhere. You don't "adapt" by trying to crack into an established market that is currently being served in three directions. You adapt by finding new avenues to success. They did this with the Wii. This doesn't mean they need a "gimmick" or they need "casuals" back, but in the broad sense it means they have to do sometime fresh and new that appeals to people in a way that the current gaming market is not. And it's pretty obvious this is the direction they are trying to hit. The fact that he Switch likely won't be able to run state of the art AAA modern PC/console games should not come as a shock to anybody, as it is essentially a handheld that needs to come in at a reasonable ($200-300 max) price range.

Hawk269

If the leaked specs are accurate I don't see how it can even technically be possible

I think the cart size is what is going to be the issue. We have games on PS4/Xbox One that are over 40g alone and some even a lot higher than that. Unless they make special high capacity carts, but then that adds to manufacturing cost which will be then taken to the consumer.

Imagine if it does and they need to spread the game over 3-4 carts? lol

Kouriozan

Pretty obvious or it would have appeared at the end of the trailer that happened right after Switch reveal.
Even if it ends up on the console, Nintendo would have failed to garner gamers' interest.
The Switch isn't going to magically get a decent 3rd party support.

The more accurate Pachter pattern is that, if you agree with him, he is nostradamus and people are being too hard on him. If you don't agree with him, he is the wrongest person of all time.

He is right sometimes, wrong other times, and occasionally takes both sides of the future so he is both at the same time. That said, my impression is that he's kind of an asshole, so who cares about his win/loss record?

Oersted

He's not some random passerby though Steve! He has power! He has notoriety!

I was referring to Resi 4. Or Dead Rising. But also yes.

A weird thing to refer to, given there is no hint for Resi 4, while a new Monster Hunter is all but confirmed.

Pretty obvious or it would have appeared at the end of the trailer that happened right after Switch reveal.

There was only the Switch reveal trailer? What are you talking about?

Oersted

I think the cart size is what is going to be the issue. We have games on PS4/Xbox One that are over 40g alone and some even a lot higher than that. Unless they make special high capacity carts, but then that adds to manufacturing cost which will be then taken to the consumer.

Imagine if it does and they need to spread the game over 3-4 carts? lol

So MGSIV, just in small?

Good thing I don't care about third party games on Nintendo systems :p

You are missing out

Could the Switch even run GTA IV?
I don't think so......
GTA-V-Xbox-360-SDL767258053-1-bdccd.jpg

Top Bottom