• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Appears To Be Winding Down Production Of Certain Switch Games

Nintendeal appears to have been the first to notify Switch owners that certain games are disappearing from retailers, suggesting that they are out of print. Pikmin 3 Deluxe was the first big title to start disappearing with just one major retailer in the US still having it in stock. If you planned on picking up a physical copy of Pikmin 3 on Switch, I would do it now. The only place it's left in stock is Walmart, and you can buy it through the link in the box below.

One game alone isn't enough to suggest Nintendo is shifting its focus from Switch games to titles on whatever's coming next, but then the same happened to Metroid Dread. Samus's latest 2D adventure has been disappearing from store shelves as well, suggesting it too is now out of print. Much like Pikmin 3 Deluxe, there now appears to be just one place physical copies of Dread remain in stock - Best Buy, and again, you can access its store page and buy it through the link below.

The third suspect is a little less telling. Physical copies of Paper Mario: The Origami King are notoriously hard to find right now too, currently in stock on eBay but nowhere else. Less telling because that might be a case of Nintendo not wanting two Paper Mario games on shelves at the same time to prevent confusion with Thousand Year Door's remake launching in 2024. If I were Nintendo, I'd want as many copies of Origami King out there as possible with a whole new generation of players about to discover Paper Mario, but maybe that's just me.
Until Nintendo confirms one way or the other, none of the above is hard evidence a new console is coming, nor is it proof physical copies of these games have disappeared from stores never to return. It does seem likely though, and if you were thinking of adding some physical Switch games to your collection - whether they're the ones included in this article or not - now is probably the time to do it before the only place you can buy them is through resale sites for inflated prices.

Full list of 1st party physical games that seemingly have gone out of print in the NA market (Nintendeal info):

1) Paper Mario: The Origami King

2) Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

3) The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)

4) Pikmin 3 Deluxe

5) Metroid Dread

6) Kirby Star Allies

7) Xenoblade Chronicles 2

8) New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe

9) Fire Emblem: Three Houses

10) Fire Emblem: Engage

11) Yoshi's Crafted World

12) WarioWare: Get it Together!

13) Nintendo Switch Sports

14) Super Mario Odyssey

15) Splatoon 2

16) Super Mario Maker 2

17) Mario Strikers: Battle League

Hopefully they'll restock them as Nintendo Selects or something like that, but the whole thing is a bit sus.

Last edited:

BlackTron

Even Mario Odyssey is discontinued? Seems too early while Switches are still being sold.

But maybe they care less because digital is an option and they're shifting to Switch 2 total war economy.

Still weird and suspicious.

xrnzaaas

This isn't new I think. They've been limiting some first party physical releases in the previous years as well. And that's not good news since Nintendo isn't known for preserving digital versions of their games and the Switch store may close down one day as well.

Any reason why they are doing it?
these are prolly titles that no longer making big sales numbers anymore so cost saving, if people want these games they just pick them up from 2nd hand market anyways or off the eshop.

This isn't new I think. They've been limiting some first party physical releases in the previous years as well. And that's not good news since Nintendo isn't known for preserving digital versions of their games and the Switch store may close down one day as well.

Hopefully Switch emulation will be 100% solid when that time arrives.

Last edited:

Comandr

The same thing can happen with digital games though (i.e. getting delisted from the eShop). Nintendo already did it with Super Mario 3D All-Stars which is unavailable both physically and digitally.
3D all stars was clearly a marketing scheme to prey on peoples’ FOMO. They told everyone it would only be available for a limited time. Telling someone something will only be available for a few months one way or another is a big difference from suddenly delisting a game for unknown reasons.

3D all stars was clearly a marketing scheme to prey on peoples’ FOMO. They told everyone it would only be available for a limited time. Telling someone something will only be available for a few months one way or another is a big difference from suddenly delisting a game for unknown reasons.
Yeah, you're right. It was not the best example, but the point is that digital games get delisted all the time so it's not just an issue with physical games.

Last edited:
Nintendo does this every time they’re ready to announce a new console. The Disney of video games, welcome to the vault

disney-vault.jpg

Last edited:

Comandr

Yeah, you're right. It was not the best example, but the point is that digital games get delisted all the time so it's not just an issue with physical games.
It is worth noting that while some games may be delisted for sale digitally, even having their page removed, often they can still be downloaded. Dragon Quest 11 just.. doesn’t exist anymore on steam. Only 11S. But I purchased the original and can still download and play it no problem. Clicking on the store link redirects me to S though. My digital purchase of Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for iOS is still available for download through my purchase history. Clicking on the app icon to go to the page just errors out. It doesn’t exist at all but I can still download and play my delisted game.

These are just two examples on completely different platforms.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Any reason why they are doing it?

Guaranteed to drive prices up on the secondhand market, which reinforces the notion that Nintendo games retain their value better than anyone.

Customers feeling good about that allows them to get by on keeping their game prices high, and will quell any resistance when they shift to the $70 price point.

That’s my armchair expert option from decades of watching Nintendo and their fanbase.

Last edited:
It is worth noting that while some games may be delisted for sale digitally, even having their page removed, often they can still be downloaded. Dragon Quest 11 just.. doesn’t exist anymore on steam. Only 11S. But I purchased the original and can still download and play it no problem. Clicking on the store link redirects me to S though. My digital purchase of Monster Hunter Freedom Unite for iOS is still available for download through my purchase history. Clicking on the app icon to go to the page just errors out. It doesn’t exist at all but I can still download and play my delisted game.

These are just two examples on completely different platforms.
All that is true, but a game being delisted from digital stores means you can no longer buy it digitally, just like with these physical games getting out of print which leads to prices on ebay and other marketplaces to inflate... Anyway, the discussion veers into an entirely different topic. :p

Scotty W

Gold Member
Full list of 1st party physical games that seemingly have gone out of print in the NA market (Nintendeal info):

4) Pikmin 3 Deluxe

5) Metroid Dread

6) Kirby Star Allies

14) Super Mario Odyssey

15) Splatoon 2

16) Super Mario Maker 2

Hopefully they'll restock them as Nintendo Selects or something like that, but the whole thing is a bit sus.
Anecdotally, most of these games are pretty easy to find in Japan. Metroid Dread has gone way up in price though.

TidusYuna

A few things. I think Nintendo is making a "switch" to their next console. But also, the availability of the MIG flash cart is probably going to accelerate Nintendo's decision to limit reprints of their switch games, if they believe that piracy is going to cut into their sales.

But with that said, out of stock doesn't necessarily mean out of print. I just asked video game retailer if they would be restocking Metroid Dread and Mario Odd (which sold out over the holidays) and was told that they would be restocking. But that that hasn't happened yet so thanks to op for bringing this to my attention. I'll keep my eye on this.

It’s far more likely they’re just reprinting for a Nintendo Selects/ Player’s Choice line. The system is 7 years old and it’s about time to flip that switch for some of the older games to give them a second life and increase old catalogue software sales while they prepare the next console.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Metroid Dread and Pikmin 3 are both available on Amazon.com when I search for them. Also saw Dread for 40 bucks from Walmart for curbside pickup. Might get a copy just to hang onto for a bit.

It’s far more likely they’re just reprinting for a Nintendo Selects/ Player’s Choice line. The system is 7 years old and it’s about time to flip that switch for some of the older games to give them a second life and increase old catalogue software sales while they prepare the next console.
This is my line of thought as well, but we'll have to wait and see.

I still have to get Metroid Dread, Fire Emblem Engage and Link's Awakening from the list in my OP and I really don't want to buy them just because of FOMO lol. Have other game related purchases to make first.

Last edited:
This is my line of thought as well, but we'll have to wait and see.

I still have to get Metroid Dread, Fire Emblem Engage and Link's Awakening from the list in my OP and I really don't want to buy them just because of FOMO lol. Have other game related purchases to make first.
Right. lol. It doesn't make sense to discontinue printing games that sell. Dread is only 2 years old, and certainly these games sell continually after release as new users buy the hardware. There absolutely is more to it than just "Nintendo is no longer printing these games, too bad so sad."

Last edited:

Trunx81

Didn´t they do this with every console? I expect a "Nintendo Switch Essentials" rebranding with a bit cheaper games, like they did for SNES or Game Cube.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Right. lol. It doesn't make sense to discontinue printing games that sell. Dread is only 2 years old, and certainly these games sell continually after release as new users buy the hardware. There absolutely is more to it than just "Nintendo is no longer printing these games, too bad so sad."
Nintendo has a history of doing things that don't make sense.

Reactions: OCL
Nintendo has a history of doing things that don't make sense.
But not doing things that lose money for no reason. Someone noticed the games were going out of print and assumed that meant they were just going out of print. It's far more likely that they are being re-printed for reintroduction at a reduced price. All you have to do is just look at what they've always done near the end of a console cycle.

ReBurn

Gold Member
But not doing things that lose money for no reason. Someone noticed the games were going out of print and assumed that meant they were just going out of print. It's far more likely that they are being re-printed for reintroduction at a reduced price. All you have to do is just look at what they've always done near the end of a console cycle.
I would be surprised if they see it as losing money, assuming that it's even true that all of these games are going out of print. We also have to keep in mind that their availability at retail is also based on the retailer's desire to stock them. With retailers cutting back on footprint for physical media and their propensity to favor newer releases over older ones it could be that some of the shortages for older games at retail are partly due to the retailers as much as Nintendo.

Seems weird. I would have thought BC for the Switch 2 would be a shoe in.
It *has* to be BC with Switch. It has to. And I'm sure Nintendo knows that. There's too many games that are played continuously nowadays for years and years and everyone has been trained that these games to just carry-over to the next system. On the other hand, a new Mario Kart will have a harder time selling on Switch 2 if the huge Mario Kart 8 Deluxe base isn't super interested in a $70 Mario Kart 9 that doesn't have 96 courses. So it's a weird time, for sure.

Last edited:
I would be surprised if they see it as losing money, assuming that it's even true that all of these games are going out of print. We also have to keep in mind that their availability at retail is also based on the retailer's desire to stock them. With retailers cutting back on footprint for physical media and their propensity to favor newer releases over older ones it could be that some of the shortages for older games at retail are partly due to the retailers as much as Nintendo.
Physical for Nintendo software isn't dying though, in the same way it's dying for Xbox, Blu Rays, or PS5. Switch physical sales are higher proportion vs digital than the other console players. And games like Dread, they're not even old enough to be discontinued. The fact that they're running out of copies is likely a combination of post-holiday season sell-through, and Nintendo needing to catch back up. But I'm quite sure at some point soon they will reintroduce the Nintendo Selects line and re-print many early Switch games that have fallen off the radar, for like $30-$40. It's easy money for them and something they've always done. It's especially helpful as a way to prop up software sales during a hardware transiton period.

Last edited:

ungalo

Xenoblade 2 was hard to find a few months after release. We also know what they did with the Mario collection. So i'm not sure there is a deeper meaning behind this.

Xenoblade 2 was hard to find a few months after release. We also know what they did with the Mario collection. So i'm not sure there is a deeper meaning behind this.
Xenoblade 2 is still available in stores. Or at least it was at most retailers in my area for years and years after release. I'm sure it was hard to find in early 2018 after the first big Switch holiday season. Xenoblade 2 had just come out and sales are way higher than they've ever been for that series, before. Certainly they had to catch back up to meet demand.

3D Mario Collection was a different thing. Nintendo doesn't normally sell that many games together in one package for $60, and they were very upfront to begin with that it was a very limited-time, special thing, and it was going away at the end of March the following spring.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I really doubt they are going to reprint some of these games, like for example Splatoon 2.

Sometimes companies stop printing games. There were times I wanted to get games on SNES and missed the boat because they were OOP (SimCity SNES I explicitly remember). It's surprising to see year old games like FE Engage on this list (I noticed this game was gone after Black Friday), but they also know how much of what they are selling. I doubt they're moving that many Link's Awakening in 2023.

kiphalfton

4) Pikmin 3 Deluxe

5) Metroid Dread

6) Kirby Star Allies

14) Super Mario Odyssey

15) Splatoon 2

16) Super Mario Maker 2

Also The World Ends with You and Xenoblade 2 Torna.

Anyways this is the another thing that really pisses me off about Nintendo. It's not like it's even recent, as they've been doing this for the past couple years. So can't really use the excuse "well they're transitioning from physical to digital" necessarily.

But I'm sure they're going to port all these games to the next switch. To get people who missed out to buy the system (in addition to those who will double or triple or quadruple dip, based on the game).

Xenoblade 2 is still available in stores. Or at least it was at most retailers in my area for years and years after release. I'm sure it was hard to find in early 2018 after the first big Switch holiday season. Xenoblade 2 had just come out and sales are way higher than they've ever been for that series, before. Certainly they had to catch back up to meet demand.

3D Mario Collection was a different thing. Nintendo doesn't normally sell that many games together in one package for $60, and they were very upfront to begin with that it was a very limited-time, special thing, and it was going away at the end of March the following spring.

Okay, go out and find a copy and report back.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I don't think anyone in my circle with the switch consistently bought physical.

I mean I only own one and that was breath of the Wild on launch day 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom