• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Buying a 4K TV for PS4K thread!

All valid points. Though I'm not even sure the XD93 will handle dynamic metadata or not!

Welcome to my world! I started looking at something that might cost me £1000 and ended up at £1600, though that should come down to £1300 after cashback and selling the soundbar.

It's little surprise that the XD93 looked flat compared to the OLED screen, though as you say it might well have been the settings. When I saw the 65 and 55" versions of the XD93 in John Lewis they both looked fantastic, but they also weren't sitting next to a OLED!

How do the OLEDs fare with input lag again?

The numbers are a bit on the high side for HDR content at 4K (67ms, 34ms for non-HDR 4K and 50ms for 1080p HDR content), however after playing Infamous, Uncharted, and Forza Horizon 3 I've had zero complaints about input lag. Best option would be to take your PS4 Pro or XB1S into a store and try it for yourself.

Nevyr

Banned
Any who had the Samsung KS8000 ship date at 11/8 receive theirs yet? The AGS tracker really sucks.

I would make sure to call them if you have not already.

My TV was sitting in their warehouse for a day, and they were waiting for me to call since they did not have my phone number.

Renkax

Hey guys , I got a 49UH6030 4K UHD HDR pro. When I go to the settings on the PS4 for HDR it's not supported it seems yet the HDR option is set on automatic. Anyone know how to get the HDR running ? Really want to play the last of us like that :( did I get a model that they lied me on?

DjRalford

Hey guys , I got a 49UH6030 4K UHD HDR pro. When I go to the settings on the PS4 for HDR it's not supported it seems yet the HDR option is set on automatic. Anyone know how to get the HDR running ? Really want to play the last of us like that :( did I get a model that they lied me on?

You probably havent enabled HDR for that HDMI port through the TV settings, should have a setting for UHD Colour somewhere in the TV settings.

DBT85

A lot of those can be viewed straight from YouTube for quick demo viewing.

Not on my 6mb connection and only with the artifacting that youtube will bring.

EDIT: Well I did it, I ordered the Pioneer VSX-831. Tired of thinking about it so just did it. Also treated my system to some new 1.5mm 2 core flex for the speakers. Been using 0.75mm bell wire for about 10 years lol.

Now the question will be can we arrange our living room to put it all in a great place for me to set up the 5.1 properly or not. Being typically British, we have a sofa that's far too large for the room!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Not on my 6mb connection and only with the artifacting that youtube will bring.

EDIT: Well I did it, I ordered the Pioneer VSX-831. Tired of thinking about it so just did it. Also treated my system to some new 1.5mm 2 core flex for the speakers. Been using 0.75mm bell wire for about 10 years lol.

Now the question will be can we arrange our living room to put it all in a great place for me to set up the 5.1 properly or not. Being typically British, we have a sofa that's far too large for the room!

Ooh - photo. I've wall mounted my rear speakers and they're in a decent position for half the people on the sofa, but anyone sitting around the corner is screwed :) routed the cable up into the ceiling, along and then down to the receiver.

Swaying back towards the Sony now - I'm just used to the way they handle content and wary of comments about LG stutter and general motion handling. No particular logic to it. Regardless, first step is ikea, redo the units and have a spring clean of all my cabling.

DBT85

Ooh - photo. I've wall mounted my rear speakers and they're in a decent position for half the people on the sofa, but anyone sitting around the corner is screwed :) routed the cable up into the ceiling, along and then down to the receiver.

Swaying back towards the Sony now - I'm just used to the way they handle content and wary of comments about LG stutter and general motion handling. No particular logic to it. Regardless, first step is ikea, redo the units and have a spring clean of all my cabling.

No photo for a few days, I'm away at work and nothing has arrived yet. Will probably have to remain in the corner of the room but we'll see.

As regard setting up speakers, I only care about pole position, anyone else can go hang lol.

Hostile_18

Banned
Hi guys, looking for a bit of advice :)

Basically I've got one of the best 55" 1080p sets Sony ever produced (KDL-55W900A) and the picture with the Pro is amazing and I'm wondering if it's going to be much of an upgrade without spending silly money (budget £1000.. UK)?

The 55" KS7000 (America KS8000) looks promising, can the picture be adjusted to "Pop" rather than strictly professionally calibrated. I'm looking for something a little less than usual Vivid presets but I do like a bright, colourful screen rather than 100% realistic/cinema (which I find far to muted and yellow). I'd also be a little gutted about losing 3D... but for the price point there's not many options if a 10bit panel is essential (I certainly wouldn't want a smaller screen than what I have now 55").

If the upgrade won't be worth it I might just treat myself to a PSVR instead (or get both... eventuallly).

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Basically I've got one of the best 55" 1080p sets Sony ever produced (KDL-55W900A) and the picture with the Pro is amazing and I'm wondering if it's going to be much of an upgrade without spending silly money (budget £1000.. UK)?

The 55" KS7000 (America KS8000) looks promising, can the picture be adjusted to "Pop" rather than strictly professionally calibrated. I'm looking for something a little less than usual Vivid presets but I do like a bright, colourful screen rather than 100% realistic/cinema (which I find far to muted and yellow). I'd also be a little gutted about losing 3D... but for the price point there's not many options if a 10bit panel is essential (I certainly wouldn't want a smaller screen than what I have now 55").

If the upgrade won't be worth it I might just treat myself to a PSVR instead (or get both... eventuallly).

You'd get the obvious update to 4K, but I don't know how much of an improvement it would look. At your budget you'd be looking at the Sony XD80xx or XD85, or the Samsung ks7000. The Samsung can definitely go bright and vibrant.

Probably worth a trip to a nearby John Lewis as they tend to have more display TVs hooked up to 4K sources

I finally bit the bullet and got an LG 55B6P yesterday. It's awesome, but I have a question:

Have there been HDR updates for any games on regular PS4 yet? I know they said it was coming, but I can't find anything concrete yet, as everyone is just talking about Pro enhancements.

I will eventually get a Pro, but I grabbed an Xbox S yesterday, so it may be a little while.

Hostile_18

Banned
You'd get the obvious update to 4K, but I don't know how much of an improvement it would look. At your budget you'd be looking at the Sony XD80xx or XD85, or the Samsung ks7000. The Samsung can definitely go bright and vibrant.

Probably worth a trip to a nearby John Lewis as they tend to have more display TVs hooked up to 4K sources

Thank you for the reply :). Yeah think a few visits to check out some of these tvs in "real life" is in order.

I finally bit the bullet and got an LG 55B6P yesterday. It's awesome, but I have a question:

Have there been HDR updates for any games on regular PS4 yet? I know they said it was coming, but I can't find anything concrete yet, as everyone is just talking about Pro enhancements.

I will eventually get a Pro, but I grabbed an Xbox S yesterday, so it may be a little while.

Any games that have HDR on the Pro should have it on the base PS4 as well. The ones I can think of include:

Uncharted 4
Infamous Second Son & First Light
The Last of Us
Ratchet & Clank

I'm sure I'm missing some, but those are a good place to start.

Neifirst

I did the exact same upgrade path you're speaking about - I went from a 55" Sony W900a to a 65" KS8000 and it has been completely worth it. The Pro supported games like Ratchet & Clank in 4K and HDR are simply jaw-dropping, and extra screen real estate has even helped out colorful games like Dragon Quest Builders that haven't received a patch. I set my tv/movie mode to a higher level of backlight and more red than generally recommended to get that 'pop' that I was accustomed to on the Sony, and then switch to game mode for PS4 Pro.

The 4K and HDR are awesome, but make sure you go with a 60" or 65" screen to really appreciate the new level of detail that's discernible.

Hostile_18

Banned
I did the exact same upgrade path you're speaking about - I went from a 55" Sony W900a to a 65" KS8000 and it has been completely worth it. The Pro supported games like Ratchet & Clank in 4K and HDR are simply jaw-dropping, and extra screen real estate has even helped out colorful games like Dragon Quest Builders that haven't received a patch. I set my tv/movie mode to a higher level of backlight and more red than generally recommended to get that 'pop' that I was accustomed to on the Sony, and then switch to game mode for PS4 Pro.

The 4K and HDR are awesome, but make sure you go with a 60" or 65" screen to really appreciate the new level of detail that's discernible.

Oh wow it's good to know it's a worth while upgrade. I best get saving for paying the extra lol.

Did you keep or sell your old tv? :)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Please help.

I'm thinking about buying a HDR10 or HDR Dolby Vision TV, but I'm hearing the Pro doesn't support Dolby Vision. If I buy a Dolby Vision TV, will I still get the HDR in Pro-games?

Also, the LG 65UH615V has something called "HDR PRO", what is that? Is it HDR10?

I think you can safely wait till PS5 - by that time we will have lot more native 4k content and whole HDR standards mess should be resolved plus we should be getting cheaper affordable OLEDs.

Geneijin

Is WCG a deal breaker? Honestly, I dooo have the funds for a KS8000 (depending on the prices from now until Black Friday) but the fact that it's bundled with a Pro is very tempting.
If you like an oversaturated picture or care about HDR, yes, you want WCG. It's a shame the XBR55X700D is bundled instead of the XBR49X800D because even though both are IPS panels, the latter supports WCG for $100 less but 6 inches smaller.

j0hnnix

Is WCG a deal breaker? Honestly, I dooo have the funds for a KS8000 (depending on the prices from now until Black Friday) but the fact that it's bundled with a Pro is very tempting.

WCG is extremely important for hdr. Unless you don't mind upgrading in the future.. If you can get the ks8000, that is really your best tv for the cost.

KronikCity518

Neo Member
If any of you got in on the Samsung EPP deal on the KS8000, the prices have dropped. The 65" is now $1,079, the 60" is $854, and the 55" is at $729. I'm on the phone trying to get the to give me that price. My tv hasn't even arrived yet. smh

Symphonia

Banned
Looks good from the online reviews. What's the TV like in terms of imput lag with and without HDR?

Do you have any issues with it?
The input lag is probably one of the best, even more so considering the price bracket it falls within. Enable 'Game Mode' and it improves further. Battlefield One plays like a dream on it. As for non-HDR content, as long as you have it calibrated correctly, the picture looks amazing. I'm watching Daredevil season one - which is non-HDR - and the picture is very impressive. I would highly recommend this TV to anyone on a budget of below £500.

Kazooie

Banned
The input lag is probably one of the best, even more so considering the price bracket it falls within. Enable 'Game Mode' and it improves further. Battlefield One plays like a dream on it. As for non-HDR content, as long as you have it calibrated correctly, the picture looks amazing. I'm watching Daredevil season one - which is non-HDR - and the picture is very impressive. I would highly recommend this TV to anyone on a budget of below £500.
Thanks man, looks really good from what you've said and the research I've done.

Anyone know if the the UE40KU6020 an improvement over the UE40KU6000?

spannicus

If any of you got in on the Samsung EPP deal on the KS8000, the prices have dropped. The 65" is now $1,079, the 60" is $854, and the 55" is at $729. I'm on the phone trying to get the to give me that price. My tv hasn't even arrived yet. smh
Woooo thanks just bought the 65 inch for 1100 shipped.

j0hnnix

Anyone have an EPP invite? Lol.

Newegg has it for 1397 now too. Ugh autocorrect

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Please help.

I'm thinking about buying a HDR10 or HDR Dolby Vision TV, but I'm hearing the Pro doesn't support Dolby Vision. If I buy a Dolby Vision TV, will I still get the HDR in Pro-games?

Also, the LG 65UH615V has something called "HDR PRO", what is that? Is it HDR10?

Dolby vision TVs like the LG OLEDs also support standard HDR10

Oh wow it's good to know it's a worth while upgrade. I best get saving for paying the extra lol.

Did you keep or sell your old tv? :)

If you stick with your original thinking of a 55" KS7000 that should be plenty good enough and < £1000

lt519

Jesus, wished my credit card matched EPP pricing. That's $300 cheaper than the Black Friday pricing and still can use Discover Deals.

____

Are you calling Samsung or your credit card?

ayob

Weevilone

I'm stoked about the LG OLED I got, but if I had anticipated the Samsung EPP deals going as low as they have now, would have grabbed one and used it to let OLED settle another generation, At 55 inch, that $729 or so deal is amazing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Dolby vision TVs like the LG OLEDs also support standard HDR10
Are you 100% certain of this? So there is no benefit of going HDR10 than HDR1000 (Dolby)?

Top Bottom