• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opal? Stirrings? I don't personally think either of those are in danger. Spirit Guide should preemptively go though.
Opal's not in danger of going for the reason that it's ability requires you to play a bunch of artifacts that are cheap(Lantern, Affinity/Robots), most of which if I'm being honest are kind of shit cards. No one looks at creatures and goes "Yup, I'll play 4x Ornithopter/Spring leaf Drum in a non affinity deck". Anyone who compares it to SSG seems to ignore this point.

Ancient Stirrings got a huge buff from BFZ, but I don't think Wizards is going to push anything in that realm for a long ass time. It does kind of suck that Green has better conditional filtering then Blue does, but that's something that would have to pass by Sam Stoddard who seems to be against anything that isn't creature based.

If SSG needs to go then Noble Hierarch needs to go.
In what world is Hierarch on the same tier of "Allowing stupid shit" that SSG is? One requires an entire turn before you can use it for mana.

You'd never keep a hand with 2x Hierarchs, Stomping Grounds, Blood Moon, and 3x Bolt in some wierd GR Moon deck.

You'd easily keep that hand with SSGs, because it's turn 1 Moon

Wulfric

No ishkanas? Always gotta ask yourself how you're beating UW flash.

*shrug* I don't own any. I don't play standard usually so I've got no clue how to beat it.

Are there any decent artifacts leftover for Revolt masterpieces? Ornithoper would interesting to see. They still have to Swords left to print as well.

kirblar

If SSG needs to go then Noble Hierarch needs to go.
lolwut?

SSG is a ritual. Hierarch is a Birds of Paradise w/ upside and mana restriction.
You'd never keep a hand with 2x Hierarchs, Stomping Grounds, Blood Moon, and 3x Bolt in some wierd GR Moon deck.
That's a Blood Moon Zoo hand, and that's probably a fine keep vs a lot of decks.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
*shrug* I don't own any. I don't play standard usually so I've got no clue how to beat it.

Are there any decent artifacts leftover for Revolt masterpieces? Ornithoper would interesting to see. They still have to Swords left to print as well.

There's lots, actually, e.g.:

Engineered Explosives
Chalice of the Void
Ornithopter
Sword of Body and Mind
Sword of War and Peace
Cranial Plating
Etched Champion
Master of Etherium (can be justified via Tezzeret)
Sphere of Resistance
Arcbound Ravager
Tangle Wire
Lodestone Golem
Thorn of Amethyst
Trinisphere
Triskelion
Ratchet Bomb
Lodestone Golem
Oblivion Stone
Gilded Lotus
Lotus Bloom
Sword of the Meek

There's tons of 'em.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I can't think of a commonly played card less likely to get banned than Noble Fucking Hierarch.

Like, there's a better argument for banning fetchlands than Noble Hierarch.

Ishkanah is one of the best tools at stabilising against a multitude of decks I've added a copy to my summonings deck now even and it's done some serious work.
Deathrite Shaman got banned.
You're kidding, right? DRS is a mana dork, gy hate and a clock in a single card for 1 mana. Hierarch is a glorified bird.

Angry Grimace

Ishkanah is one of my favorite Standard cards because nobody gave a fuck about it when they spoiled it, but its just so good in practice.

Firemind

Because it was seeing play in virtually every deck and pushing Abzan/Jund/etc over the top.
One could argue it's happening with Hierarch in Infect and to a lesser extent Bant Eldrazi.

You are a proponent of a Become Immense ban, but I would argue Hierarch is the core card that allows turn 3/4 kills with counter/vines backup. Some lists are already running 4 copies of Blossoming Defense as additional protection. And what card allows Infect to have an unlosable position in the early game? Noble Hierarch.

kirblar

One could argue it's happening with Hierarch in Infect and to a lesser extent Bant Eldrazi.

You are a proponent of a Become Immense ban, but I would argue Hierarch is the core card that allows turn 3/4 kills with counter/vines backup. Some lists are already running 4 copies of Blossoming Defense as additional protection. And what card allows Infect to have an unlosable position in the early game? Noble Hierarch.
If you want to chop their kill times, you kill the 1 drop infector.

Become Immense is a problem for more than just Infect.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Infect and Eldrazi

A ritual that Storm doesn't care about. Seems fair. I mean, you literally said Ad Nauseum is a terrible deck...

lol Ancient Stirrings and Temple are what allow stupid shit in Eldrazi alongside the efficiency of the creature themselves. Infect its all Probe, Become Immense and protection pump for creatures with the dumbest creature keyword ever invented.

Firemind

SSG is stupid because its a huge net negative when all the unfair decks are sped up because of it.,
And all those decks will die without it. If Hypergenesis was still in the format, I would agree with you, but it's not. None of the current decks using SSG are really broken.

Hierarch has nothing to do with T2 Infect Wins. You literally can't cast it and win on Turn 2.

It has basically nothing to do with Turn 3 Infect Wins. 9ish cards(7+2 on the play against a goldfish) needs Elf, 2x Land and 6 other cards, and you don't want Hierarch because it's a 1 point pump vs 2+.

Hierarch is only good in Infect when they can't go all in, because it makes Blighted Agent be a 2/2 unblockable.

As for Eldrazi, Hierarch is not the issue there. The issue is that Ancient Stirrings became stupid powerful because Wizards pushed Eldrazi. The best draws in the deck use Hierarch as a dork so Turn 2 TKS is easier to get. All you do if you ban Hierarch is they switch to birds and lose maybe half a win percentage.

And all those decks will die without it. If Hypergenesis was still in the format, I would agree with you, but it's not. None of the current decks using SSG are really broken.
Certain Dredge lists are running Guide now to help speed up Cathartic Reunion. It's the Pro Tour Oath problem, where an already strong deck uses the card to become even stronger.

Also, it's not so much an issue of broken as it is that the decks that use him want to "win" in one turn. Ad Nauseum uses him to blow you up, Grishoalbrand used/uses him to win on Turn 2. You ban SSG, you kill off a bunch of the bad decks that win not because of actual good cards/player strategy but because "Surprise! I deal 40 to your face in one turn"

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
There's lots, actually, e.g.:

Engineered Explosives
Chalice of the Void
Ornithopter
Sword of Body and Mind
Sword of War and Peace
Cranial Plating
Etched Champion
Master of Etherium (can be justified via Tezzeret)
Sphere of Resistance
Arcbound Ravager
Tangle Wire
Lodestone Golem
Thorn of Amethyst
Trinisphere
Triskelion
Ratchet Bomb
Lodestone Golem
Oblivion Stone
Gilded Lotus
Lotus Bloom
Sword of the Meek

There's tons of 'em.

Nah Master wouldnt be a good choice. I hope we get a cool Doubling Cube and Isochron Specter. Also I'd be curious to see what a Kaladeshi Expedition Map would look like. Is Defense Grid reserve list?

Angry Grimace

Nah Master wouldnt be a good choice. I hope we get a cool Doubling Cube and Isochron Specter. Also I'd be curious to see what a Kaladeshi Expedition Map would look like. Is Defense Grid reserve list?

I mean, you could take off a bunch of those for flavor reasons and still have lots to fill in. There's Ensnaring Bridge, etc. if you want to really go for it.

The only Masterpiece I ever pulled was a Hangarback Walker.

Firemind

You ban SSG, you kill off a bunch of the bad decks that win not because of actual good cards/player strategy but because "Surprise! I deal 40 to your face in one turn"
That's what combo decks do... Either you make it too consistent and it's broken (Twin) or you make it inconsistent and it's niche (Belcher). And what makes Goryo so good is because of the Nourishing Shoal + Worldspine Wurm combo to basically go infinite. Citing SSG as a problem in Dredge... I don't know about that.

I'm not a combo player but what happened to the combo, aggro, control rock-paper-scissors dynamic?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I mean, you could take off a bunch of those for flavor reasons and still have lots to fill in. There's Ensnaring Bridge, etc. if you want to really go for it.

The only Masterpiece I ever pulled was a Hangarback Walker.

Bad from a monetary standpoint, but its one of the best looking Masterpieces.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I mean red rarely gets the best of a cycle but it has done well in plenty. But it does have a bunch of Combustible Gearhulks and Shivan Gorges too.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
an8G4KV.jpg

Standard Showdown will really put those butts in seats Wizards

Edit for extra content: Fiery Confluence was great in Legacy Cube.

Wulfric

Wootwoot! Standard showdown was a success, imo. There were 10 of us, very casual oriented. The deck I posted earlier didn't do too bad, went 2-1.

My pack was:
Botanical Sanctum
Foil Noah Bradley Plains
Anguished Unmaking

Traded the Plains for a Steam Vents. :D

Wulfric

Giving away random Standard rares when you've deliberately devalued standard rares is.....awkard.

Yeah, winning $5 worth of rares is super rad. I guess it enticed people like me to play standard for the first time in ages, but nearly everything in these sets except for like 10 cards are worth almost nothing. The only compelling reasoning to go play is the increased shot at an expedition.

How did everyone's LGS distribute the boosters? Everyone who participated in our event got a pack.

bigkrev

Giving away random Standard rares when you've deliberately devalued standard rares is.....awkard.

There are 73 Mythic Rares in Standard right now. 12 of them are worth $10 or more, 37 of them are worth $2 or less.

Buying packs is for fucking suckers right now unless you plan on drafting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom