• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

Dovin's motivation seems to be that he just wants order. He's fighting entropy. He listens to Tezzeret only because Tezzeret is his superior in the Consulate. He doesn't seem particularly malicious. He's like the Smithers to Tezzeret's Mr. Burns.

kirblar

O2fCMpz.png

The follow up is that this is more a thing they want to do to all sets, and are just using this as an example
I'm not sure I like Wizards going through and deciding what cards should be removed from classic formats because they would probably be terrible at it.
This is idiotic for the same reason that rebalancing legacy fighting games is idiotic.

Ashodin

Saskia Samurai nearly complete, just waiting for these Samurai to come in the mail (sideboard):

1 Ancient Ziggurat
1 Arid Mesa
1 Ash Barrens
1 Command Tower
1 Dragonskull Summit
1 Eiganjo Castle
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Exotic Orchard
1 Grand Coliseum
1 Hall of the Bandit Lord
1 Jungle Shrine
1 Krosan Verge
1 Marsh Flats
1 Misty Rainforest
2 Mountain
1 Nomad Outpost
1 Overgrown Tomb
2 Plains
1 Rootbound Crag
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Sandsteppe Citadel
1 Savage Lands
1 Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep
1 Shizo, Death's Storehouse
1 Spinerock Knoll
1 Stomping Ground
1 Sunpetal Grove
1 Swamp
1 Temple of the False God
1 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Untaidake, the Cloud Keeper
1 Windbrisk Heights
1 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Abzan Charm
1 Adaptive Automaton
1 Adriana, Captain of the Guard
1 Always Watching
1 Ankle Shanker
1 Araba Mothrider
1 Aurelia, the Warleader
1 Battle-Mad Ronin
1 Beastmaster Ascension
1 Boros Charm
1 Brass Herald
1 Bushi Tenderfoot
1 Chromatic Lantern
1 Conspiracy
1 Cryptic Gateway
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Descendants' Path
1 Devoted Retainer
1 Door of Destinies
1 Eerie Interlude
1 Farseek
1 Fumiko the Lowblood
1 Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
1 Godo, Bandit Warlord
1 Grand Melee
1 Gratuitous Violence
1 Hand of Cruelty
1 Hand of Honor
1 Hold the Line
1 Iizuka the Ruthless
1 Indebted Samurai
1 Inner-Chamber Guard
1 Invasion Plans
1 Iroas, God of Victory
1 Kitsune Blademaster
1 Konda's Banner
1 Konda's Hatamoto
1 Mentor of the Meek
1 Mirror Entity
1 Nagao, Bound by Honor
1 Nezumi Ronin
1 Obelisk of Urd
1 Odric, Lunarch Marshal
1 Odric, Master Tactician
1 Patriarch's Bidding
1 Phyrexian Arena
1 Ravos, Soultender
1 Ronin Cliffrider
1 Ronin Houndmaster
1 Samurai of the Pale Curtain
1 Saskia the Unyielding
1 Shamanic Revelation
1 Skullclamp
1 Sokenzan Spellblade
1 Sol Ring
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Stoneforge Masterwork
1 Takeno, Samurai General
1 Tatsumasa, the Dragon's Fang
1 Taurean Mauler
1 Tenza, Godo's Maul
1 Time of Need
1 Tymna the Weaver
1 Urza's Incubator

Sideboard:

1 Day of Destiny
1 General's Kabuto
1 Isao, Enlightened Bushi
1 Kentaro, the Smiling Cat
1 Konda, Lord of Eiganjo
1 Kusari-Gama
1 Oathkeeper, Takeno's Daisho
1 Sensei Golden-Tail
1 Shared Triumph
1 Toshiro Umezawa

I've gone through several iterations of the deck so far and I've settled on this for now. I can't wait for my samurai!

dzelly

Saskia Samurai nearly complete, just waiting for these Samurai to come in the mail (sideboard):

1 Ancient Ziggurat
1 Arid Mesa
1 Ash Barrens
1 Command Tower
1 Dragonskull Summit
1 Eiganjo Castle
1 Evolving Wilds
1 Exotic Orchard
1 Grand Coliseum
1 Hall of the Bandit Lord
1 Jungle Shrine
1 Krosan Verge
1 Marsh Flats
1 Misty Rainforest
2 Mountain
1 Nomad Outpost
1 Overgrown Tomb
2 Plains
1 Rootbound Crag
1 Sacred Foundry
1 Sandsteppe Citadel
1 Savage Lands
1 Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep
1 Shizo, Death's Storehouse
1 Spinerock Knoll
1 Stomping Ground
1 Sunpetal Grove
1 Swamp
1 Temple of the False God
1 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Untaidake, the Cloud Keeper
1 Windbrisk Heights
1 Windswept Heath
1 Wooded Foothills
1 Abzan Charm
1 Adaptive Automaton
1 Adriana, Captain of the Guard
1 Always Watching
1 Ankle Shanker
1 Araba Mothrider
1 Aurelia, the Warleader
1 Battle-Mad Ronin
1 Beastmaster Ascension
1 Boros Charm
1 Brass Herald
1 Bushi Tenderfoot
1 Chromatic Lantern
1 Conspiracy
1 Cryptic Gateway
1 Demonic Tutor
1 Descendants' Path
1 Devoted Retainer
1 Door of Destinies
1 Eerie Interlude
1 Farseek
1 Fumiko the Lowblood
1 Gisela, Blade of Goldnight
1 Godo, Bandit Warlord
1 Grand Melee
1 Gratuitous Violence
1 Hand of Cruelty
1 Hand of Honor
1 Hold the Line
1 Iizuka the Ruthless
1 Indebted Samurai
1 Inner-Chamber Guard
1 Invasion Plans
1 Iroas, God of Victory
1 Kitsune Blademaster
1 Konda's Banner
1 Konda's Hatamoto
1 Mentor of the Meek
1 Mirror Entity
1 Nagao, Bound by Honor
1 Nezumi Ronin
1 Obelisk of Urd
1 Odric, Lunarch Marshal
1 Odric, Master Tactician
1 Patriarch's Bidding
1 Phyrexian Arena
1 Ravos, Soultender
1 Ronin Cliffrider
1 Ronin Houndmaster
1 Samurai of the Pale Curtain
1 Saskia the Unyielding
1 Shamanic Revelation
1 Skullclamp
1 Sokenzan Spellblade
1 Sol Ring
1 Solemn Simulacrum
1 Stoneforge Masterwork
1 Takeno, Samurai General
1 Tatsumasa, the Dragon's Fang
1 Taurean Mauler
1 Tenza, Godo's Maul
1 Time of Need
1 Tymna the Weaver
1 Urza's Incubator

Sideboard:

1 Day of Destiny
1 General's Kabuto
1 Isao, Enlightened Bushi
1 Kentaro, the Smiling Cat
1 Konda, Lord of Eiganjo
1 Kusari-Gama
1 Oathkeeper, Takeno's Daisho
1 Sensei Golden-Tail
1 Shared Triumph
1 Toshiro Umezawa

I've gone through several iterations of the deck so far and I've settled on this for now. I can't wait for my samurai!

Saskia and Samurai's..now that sounds good. Do you have this on Tapped Out? I'd be interested in looking, but I don't know enough of the cards verbatim to know what's going on here without some help.

Firemind

Ah thanks. Lemme read this...

Seems more like he's a white-blue by the rules kinda guy who is doing what he thinks is right for a leader he thinks is right. Not evil. Not a villain. Not an antihero. Just being played.
Tezz saying "Relax" to Dovin kills me. It's slightly less worse word choice than "Chill."

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
O2fCMpz.png

The follow up is that this is more a thing they want to do to all sets, and are just using this as an example
I'm not sure I like Wizards going through and deciding what cards should be removed from classic formats because they would probably be terrible at it.

Didn't they already do this by screwing up Memory's Journey in Innistrad?

Wulfric

Getting ready for GP Milwaukee, I don't even know if I'll have time to play all these formats. Just wanted to cover all my bases in case Legacy events don't fire. It's gonna be weirdly awesome to switch between three different deck styles in one day lol

Legacy: Death and Taxes
Modern: Naya Burn (w/ Vexing Devil instead of Goblin Guide)
Standard: Abzan Midrange (Kalitas, Liliana, Tireless Tracker)

Getting ready for GP Milwaukee, I don't even know if I'll have time to play all these formats. Just wanted to cover all my bases in case Legacy events don't fire. It's gonna be weirdly awesome to switch between three different deck styles in one day lol

Control, aggro, and Midrange? Doesn't look like a bad deck selection. What's the white for in Standard?

bigkrev

Didn't they already do this by screwing up Memory's Journey in Innistrad?

And Waxmane Baku in MM2015
Because clearly, testing to make sure the product works before asking people to pay an obscene amount of money is something that WOTC decided to steal from AAA gaming

Supast4r

Do you not have the guides because of budget reasons?

Supast4r

I mean the angel isn't all that good.

In Standard sure, but countering an activated/triggered ability isn't all that good in and of itself and it's still 3 mana.
Obviously it isn't the only thing you are doing with it, I'm just presenting the many reasons why it's good. I remember when Kolaghans command was called a shitty blighting and when collective brutality was called unplayable garbage. People always seem to underrate decisions on cards. This seems like another example.

Wulfric

Control, aggro, and Midrange? Doesn't look like a bad deck selection. What's the white for in Standard?

I put white in for Collective Effort and Thalia. Here's the decklist. I don't play standard much. I'm still looking to replace Oath of Nissa. Maybe Ishkanah?

Do you not have the guides because of budget reasons?

Pretty much, yeah. It's more of a pet deck for me, and I'm really at the GP for the legacy eternal weekend trials anyways. I can wait until March and see if Guide is in MM2017 tbqh.

I put white in for Collective Effort and Thalia. Here's the decklist. I don't play standard much. I'm still looking to replace Oath of Nissa. Maybe Ishkanah?

Pretty much, yeah. It's more of a pet deck for me, and I'm really at the GP for the legacy eternal weekend trials anyways. I can wait until March and see if Guide is in MM2017 tbqh.

I'm not quite sure I can get behind Collective Effort without Gideon(even though lol at Gideon's Price). Ishkanah might be a good card to run in there.

Wulfric

I'm not quite sure I can get behind Collective Effort without Gideon(even though lol at Gideon's Price). Ishkanah might be a good card to run in there.

Like I said, it's suboptimal considering the event. Although I do like keeping white in for Shambling Vent. If I had 4x Grim Flayer and 4x Copters I'd solely be in B/G.

hermit7

I play the same decks in legacy and modern and they are great fun!

Finished up assembling my black Chainer EDH deck, it is great fun. Instant speed reanimation in black is brutal.

Re animating an edict effect after someone casts their commander is just brutal and with some lifegain that black offers you can do it over and over again. A touch slow for 2 player but it shines in multiplayer.

bigkrev

Hey, I wonder how that Duels of the Planeswalkers board game is doing for Hasbro. I know they are doing expansions, lets take a look...

Ys8aeJd.png

......oh

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Who cares if there's meme-talk? Magic lore takes itself way too fucking seriously as it is.

C'mon, I got a good laugh at the continued "Gideon doesn't wear shirts" joke.

OnPoint

Who cares if there's meme-talk? Magic lore takes itself way too fucking seriously as it is.

Because it's bad writing. I don't care if the lore is silly or serious -- I can accept it for what it is -- but I don't want to cringe while reading it.

The story itself isn't that bad honestly. Don't understand why they keep giving us planeswalkers-drinking-coffee scenes though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's the lore of a card game. Who cares if the writing is spectacular? Or expects it to be? It's fine.

kirblar

Because it's bad writing. I don't care if the lore is silly or serious -- I can accept it for what it is -- but I don't want to cringe while reading it.

The story itself isn't that bad honestly. Don't understand why they keep giving us planeswalkers-drinking-coffee scenes though.
/|\

If you're gonna do it, do it right.

I don't know, I'd understand it if it wasn't Liliana mocking Ajani, who none of the Gatewatch know very well. We know why he doesn't kill, but to Liliana it's this big joke. Plus, of all the characters to make such an observation, Liliana's probably the best suited.

I honestly don't think it's meant to be a meme reference, it's just Liliana taking the piss of Ajani's serious nature.

I actually liked today's story. Sure, it's not like last week's, but it actually gives Gideon a character conflict that fits him in the block.

OnPoint

I don't know, I'd understand it if it wasn't Liliana mocking Ajani, who none of the Gatewatch know very well. We know why he doesn't kill, but to Liliana it's this big joke. Plus, of all the characters to make such an observation, Liliana's probably the best suited.

I honestly don't think it's meant to be a meme reference, it's just Liliana taking the piss of Ajani's serious nature.

I actually liked today's story. Sure, it's not like last week's, but it actually gives Gideon a character conflict that fits him in the block.

No. You're wrong. It literally IS a meme reference.

Again, I don't mind her joking about Ajani, or not taking it seriously. The tone is not what bothers me. The horrendous use of a dated piece of an irritating sub-culture is.

Maledict

It's literally the Doge meme. You don't write that accidentally.

And it's shockingly bad writing. They really are utterly terrible at this. even if you aren't interested in the lore, a lot of people do like it and enjoy it, and objectively bad writing like they keep vomiting forth is just fucking awful.

Ashodin

Back when mtg lore was about characters and grounded arcs, but now we get fan fiction meme magic and characters who are literal cardboard cut outs

jph139

I mean, it's awful.

But we all know that doge line is going to be talked about ten times more than a decently written but ultimately forgettable C-tier online fantasy story ever would be. They're leaning into the fandom/shipping/social media audience and it's definitely paid off.

They're not going to pay for A-game writers. A-game writers are not going to do the work for free. So they'll push out poorly written stuff that's aimed squarely at an audience that doesn't mind it.

Ashodin

Basically write a shitty story, but put x character gets with x character, or heavily hints at it, sprinkle some LGBT empowerment, add meme magic and stir?

Serve while hot?

kirblar

I mean, it's awful.

But we all know that doge line is going to be talked about ten times more than a decently written but ultimately forgettable C-tier online fantasy story ever would be. They're leaning into the fandom/shipping/social media audience and it's definitely paid off.

They're not going to pay for A-game writers. A-game writers are not going to do the work for free. So they'll push out poorly written stuff that's aimed squarely at an audience that doesn't mind it.
Oddly enough, Kelly Digges's stuff has been pretty good.

No. You're wrong. It literally IS a meme reference.

Again, I don't mind her joking about Ajani, or not taking it seriously. The tone is not what bothers me. The horrendous use of a dated piece of an irritating sub-culture is.
I refuse to believe that it was consciously planned as a meme reference. The writing can be bad, but the rest of the story(and the writers previous work for Uncharted Realms) doesn't point to it being this big catastrophe. The writer wrote the Gitrog and Meren stories, I refuse to believe he just decided "Fuck it, let's make memes"

kirblar

I refuse to believe that it was consciously planned as a meme reference. The writing can be bad, but the rest of the story(and the writers previous work for Uncharted Realms) doesn't point to it being this big catastrophe. The writer wrote the Gitrog and Meren stories, I refuse to believe he just decided "Fuck it, let's make memes"
These things have editors. There is zero chance it was unintentional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom