• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fitness |OT9|...You looked better before

So, last week, my first set of 3x5@370, I pulled/strained my groin/hip (really, the tendons) joint. Immediately dropped the weight and called it a day.

Can't squat for something like 6-12 weeks D: Feels bad, man.

However, I'm not gonna stop going to the gym. Guess I'll just blast my upper body for a few months.

So, Fit-GAF--if you could totally indulge and basically just do upper body work 2-3 days a week, what would you do for the next 2-3 months?

P.S. I am totally going to get lower body work in when I can, but my mobility is limited (I can't even really lie down on a flat bench because my feet planted position strains my hip) so it will be a little while, and even then, I'll have to start very very light.

Damn son. You big boy now. That's what I'm pushing.

Just started squatting again. Last week. 315x5 was tough today after almost 2 years not doing them. If my back feels good I'm going to start deadlifting next week.

Everyone pray never herniate a disk. It sucks. I have to be very careful and not overdo it on the squats and dl

The hardest part honestly is just getting them from my knees to my shoulders. There is a mental block for sure. You are on another level dood. I be happy to be even remotely compared to you haha.

I went from 256 -> 245 lbs in about 1.5 weeks and definitely lost a lot of the "bloat" and water weight. The gf says I look leaner just cause my face isn't as fat/full of water but fuck, I feel so skinny and flat. Getting down to 225/230 will break my soul.

However, I'm not gonna stop going to the gym. Guess I'll just blast my upper body for a few months.

So, Fit-GAF--if you could totally indulge and basically just do upper body work 2-3 days a week, what would you do for the next 2-3 months?

That's basically what I've been doing, except I essentially can't do any compound movements either, so OHP and (barbell) Bench are out too.

Still, I think I should be able to work back into it slowly as of next week.

So, last week, my first set of 3x5@370, I pulled/strained my groin/hip (really, the tendons) joint. Immediately dropped the weight and called it a day.

Can't squat for something like 6-12 weeks D: Feels bad, man.

P.S. I am totally going to get lower body work in when I can, but my mobility is limited (I can't even really lie down on a flat bench because my feet planted position strains my hip) so it will be a little while, and even then, I'll have to start very very light.

man that sucks.

you could try a push/pull bro split program?

Guys my upper thigh hurts like a mother fucker when I try to bend my knee. Like a sharp pain very different from a normal soreness. What did I do :(

Edit:

inner-thigh-muscles.jpg

I think its the adductor magnus?

So, take this with a grain of salt, considering I JUST pulled the tendons around my adductor...but I was having a LOT of similar pain a few months ago. Started in my inner thigh and was sometimes painful enough to feel like it was "pulling" all the way down through my knee (not like a neural pain, but a strain). Would really come into effect when I would squat, especially deeply.

I found that adding this to my warmup mitigated most/all pain:

Butterfly stretches
Lunge stretch with knee on ground
Lunge stretch, but with rear foot propped "up" on the wall (lean back into a real good hip stretch)
Finish with another round of butterfly stretches (this, particularly, seemed to really help)

However, I should note that when I got an x-ray for my tendon strain, the doctor noted my left femur has something of a spur aroudn where it connects to my hip socket. Basically, the socket join is bigger than it should be--extra bone there. He said that this, in a deep squat position, *could* be causing additional stress on the tissue in that area.

This makes sense, as my left hip is almost always the one that pops/needs popping and also causes me pain more often.

That's basically what I've been doing, except I essentially can't do any compound movements either, so OHP and (barbell) Bench are out too.

Still, I think I should be able to work back into it slowly as of next week.

man that sucks.

you could try a push/pull bro split program?

Yeah, I think I may do a push/pull bro split. Could definitely do separate push/pull days, and if I can fit a third day in the week (I work two jobs now so it's hard to fit in days), that could be my "shoulders/arms/abs" day.

I feel dirty. But, also, this could be kinda fun. See what the other side is like...! Hopefully I don't enjoy it too much.

MrToughPants

Brian Burke punched my mom
375 3x8 paused beltless. Did 315 2x3 beltless front squats Monday, haven't done those in months so was surprised I even did that. Will keep 3x3 FS as my second squat days and keep slowly increasing the weight on paused squats. Progress 😊

M.D

Is this the right place to ask about my a diet (even if I don't exercise)? Can't find any other relevant thread

M.D

^Sure - though any advice is probably coming from an exercise perspective rather than general dieting advice.

I used to browse and post a bit in the weight loss thread, but it seems like it's no longer active and this looked like the most relevant thread

My story is that I started getting fatter around 7 years ago, think I weighed 96 kg at some point in 2010, and about 3 years ago I started a 'diet', and I say 'diet' because I mainly focused on limiting my carbs intake and didn't really have a menu to follow.
I weighed 60 kg for a while, but even at that point I didn't lose a lot of body fat and probably lost more muscle than body fat. I've been mostly at 75 kg ever since I got back to that point.

Last month, I went back to school, so right now my time is very limited because I've got long days but I do hope I could start going to the gym in the near future. but until that point I would like to eat healthy and lose this freaking body fat that's been part of my body for too long.

I guess I'm asking if anyone could help me make this diet. I've read a bunch about nutrition over the years and I've got loose ideas about what I need to do and how losing weight and body fat works, but I don't want to make a shitty diet that will be counter-productive.

Ivellios

Sorry for such a basic nutrition question, but i did not find this information in the OT.

How much carbs and protein should i take before sleep, so i can avoid catabolism effects and at the same time help in muscle growth?

Height: 5,5"
Weight 126 lbs

Thanks!

mf.luder

Just hit a new deadlift max of 245lbs! First time lifting more than my bodyweight.

Good stuff. New maxes are always a treat. Heading to the gym very soon to do some lower rep stuff, got a hockey game tomorrow night and don't want to overwork myself.

Got hit with a nasty bug and have been out of commission for 2 days. Haven't been to the gym, missed school (which really really sucks) and haven't had much to eat. I feel like I've lost 20 lbs just sweating it off by fever alone. Don't know what its going to be like once I get over this thing. Sucks because I was finally making some progress with BP and OHP too.

vypek

Tried body weight squats to see how it would feel. Even those give me issues. I don't know when I'll be able to do exercises that require going deep like that. This really sucks

So, take this with a grain of salt, considering I JUST pulled the tendons around my adductor...but I was having a LOT of similar pain a few months ago. Started in my inner thigh and was sometimes painful enough to feel like it was "pulling" all the way down through my knee (not like a neural pain, but a strain). Would really come into effect when I would squat, especially deeply.

I found that adding this to my warmup mitigated most/all pain:

Butterfly stretches
Lunge stretch with knee on ground
Lunge stretch, but with rear foot propped "up" on the wall (lean back into a real good hip stretch)
Finish with another round of butterfly stretches (this, particularly, seemed to really help)

However, I should note that when I got an x-ray for my tendon strain, the doctor noted my left femur has something of a spur aroudn where it connects to my hip socket. Basically, the socket join is bigger than it should be--extra bone there. He said that this, in a deep squat position, *could* be causing additional stress on the tissue in that area.

This makes sense, as my left hip is almost always the one that pops/needs popping and also causes me pain more often.

Yeah, I think I may do a push/pull bro split. Could definitely do separate push/pull days, and if I can fit a third day in the week (I work two jobs now so it's hard to fit in days), that could be my "shoulders/arms/abs" day.

I feel dirty. But, also, this could be kinda fun. See what the other side is like...! Hopefully I don't enjoy it too much.

Not sure but my girlfriend showed me some yoga stretching but all it did was cause more pain on the left side. Any time I bend/lift my knee i get a sharp pain

DopeToast

Banned
Got stuck under the bar benching today and had to roll it down my chest and legs and then stand up to set it down. There was nobody around. That wasn't fun. I didn't have it in to me to deadlift after that so I just called it a day.

I've been cutting pretty significantly for the last six weeks and have been able to still progress every workout, but I think I may have hit a wall.

I couldn't imagine benching without spotter bars. Just seems dangerous as fuck to go without... especially for me as I've got seriously weakened ribs from multiple breaks.

DopeToast

Banned
I couldn't imagine benching without spotter bars. Just seems dangerous as fuck to go without... especially for me as I've got seriously weakened ribs from multiple breaks.

Honestly I'm benching so little and I've never had any trouble until today. But yeah, I should have a spotter or spotter bars.

Ketch

Sup fitgaf. I need some nutrition advice. I've begun tracking calories again and I'm meeting my calorie goals but not my macro goals.

I need suggestions for lower fat higher protein other then grilled chicken because holy crap I'm bored of grilled chicken.

The high fat foods that I can't kick are cheese and eggs and cooking oils

Stop worrying about fat.

Also, make curries. They're pretty much the single best way to eat a shitload of chicken breast. That, or buy a Sous Vide circulator, get some recipes and experience a completely different sort of chicken breast.

Gah... I just don't see how anyone can eat grilled chicken. Bland foulness.

Sup fitgaf. I need some nutrition advice. I've begun tracking calories again and I'm meeting my calorie goals but not my macro goals.

I need suggestions for lower fat higher protein other then grilled chicken because holy crap I'm bored of grilled chicken.

You should probably cook your chicken better, but let's address the question...

Turkey, boneless pork loin, egg whites, shrimp, lean fish like tuna or sole.

lenovox1

Fish and seafood. Dark, leafy greens. Soy and edamame based stuff. Green peas and legumes.

Use cooking sprays (or purchase a sprayer from HomeGoods or TJ Maxx). Use more mustard and vinegars. Avoid yellows; you can buy egg whites and egg substitutes anywhere that sells eggs.

Ketch

I love me some dark leafy greens and green beans snap peas are my favorite veggies. Not a big fish fan, I can deal with salmon. I will try soy and beans.

What are your guys favorite healthy soy / bean dishes?

Thanks for the help

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
How come no one ever told me about the prowler (sled)?

My gym just got one and I used it to workout for the first time in my life. I collapsed to the floor after every set. I have never in my life experienced such burn in my lower body. Legs and ass on fire. Fucking AMAZING. I LOVE the workout. Definitely going to incorporate it into my routine every week. I loaded three plates and pushed/pulled the length of my gym twice. That was one set. I could hardly breathe after each sprint. Lol

mdsfx

Stop worrying about fat.

Also, make curries. They're pretty much the single best way to eat a shitload of chicken breast. That, or buy a Sous Vide circulator, get some recipes and experience a completely different sort of chicken breast.

Gah... I just don't see how anyone can eat grilled chicken. Bland foulness.

What the hell. I literally had never heard of this until a coworker mentioned it yesterday.

Also grilled chicken is delicious. If it's not, I would imagine it's not being seasoned well or is overcooked. Then again you used to hate peanut butter, so we really can't trust anything you say to begin with!

Can finally say I can Bench my bodyweight. Woo! I suck at Bench :/

Congrats!

...I still can't. :(

What the hell. I literally had never heard of this until a coworker mentioned it yesterday.

Also grilled chicken is delicious. If it's not, I would imagine it's not being seasoned well or is overcooked. Then again you used to hate peanut butter, so we really can't trust anything you say to begin with!
Sous Vide is the only way other than BBQ to cook decent meat in my opinion (and it actually works amazingly with BBQ).

Grilled chicken is shit, always has been, always will be. It's for the same sort of people who say protein bars and shakes taste nice. :D

Edit - Ahh, grilled in the US means done like BBQ right? Direct heat? Grilled in the UK means broiled to you filthy ignorant yanks. ;)

MMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!

17155561_10207992666240553_4603427220439727062_n.jpg

TRIUMPH!

Took me 14 months to go from 270 to under 200.

This was already harder than it would have been 10 years ago. Glad I didn't wait any longer.

mdsfx

Edit - Ahh, grilled in the US means done like BBQ right? Direct heat? Grilled in the UK means broiled to you filthy ignorant yanks. ;)

Ha! Well that makes a huge difference, that's for sure. And who are you calling filthy?!

MMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!

TRIUMPH!

Took me 14 months to go from 270 to under 200.

This was already harder than it would have been 10 years ago. Glad I didn't wait any longer.

Congrats! That's awesome!!

Top Bottom