• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom on Monster Hunter possiblity on Switch: "Hope you enjoy it on 3DS first."

Zukkoyaki

Monster Hunter will be on Switch. No way in hell it doesn't show up there eventually.

PS4 is possible. Other hunter-style games like Toukiden and God Eater have done alright on PlayStation platforms. I imagine Monster Hunter there would do well enough to justify its existence. Though if it didn't I bet that would be the series' last chance on PlayStation.

MoonFrog

I mean, I could totally see Japanese companies looking to mostly western sales, especially if Nintendo didn't convince them that Switch would pick up where 3DS left off and run with it in Japan. PS niche in Japan and western PS/PC support seems like a very probable route for Japanese games that either are already niche or whose developers are sold on Japanese console industry fading into obscurity, even with portables.

Heck, plenty already do that, when 3DS is successful. Even DQ is hedging its bets and releasing multi platform with an eye on the west, instead of just hitting the biggest Japanese console its vision allowed as has been the norm. You also have Vita games going PS4 or PS4/PC and dropping vita versions.

But MH is of a bigger size in Japan than most games.

It would be strange, I think, if MH5 skips Switch or 3DS entirely. But it would be strange of the sort I could see Capcom doing if they really weren't sold on the Switch (yet) when they set about making MH5 and were sold on the limited future for domestic Japanese console market, but large western market presented by Sony. Sony throwing money in could really push this, but it's a bit of a stretch imo without Sony money. Sony did put money towards SF5, so maybe they did here too.

If Capcom has confidence that Switch can continue the console market in Japan and had it when they set to making MH5, I could also see MH5 being Switch exclusive. But I think it is likely that Capcom sees relative parity between the portable option and the stationary option (coupled with a chance to hedge their bets wrt the Japanese market) and decides to go multiplatform like Dragon Quest, only it being much more feasible to do so with PS4/Switch than PS4/3DS. Perhaps their working relationship with Nintendo/Nintendo money could convince them otherwise.

Roubjon

The day they release a Monster Hunter on Switch is the day I buy one. Next year will be the soonest it would arrive right?

jeremy1456

I don't see this remaining nintendo exclusive if they actually make HD versions from scratch.

Might as well port it to ps4 and pc or something .

If it's a 3ds "HD" port I guess it's different.

Port it to PS4 and lose out on Nintendo's marketing in the West?

Yeah makes a ton of sense!

Vuze

Nah I'm going to pass 3DS. I'm way over playing MH on a tiny 200p screen. MHXX will be the first MH I'll skip since MHFreedom. Also it's 2017 Capcom put it on Steam already.
Pretty much. Haven't skipped one since I started playing the series back when MHF1 came out but this will be the one. Completely new and revamped MH5 on Switch pls kthx

That's why they're trying to expand the brand to the west. It will be really hard for Capcom to invest into HD assets and ignore the massive PS4 global installed bases.

I'm sure the installed base of PS4 is enticing to Capcom, but don't forget that the only reason why the series has been successful outside of Japan is because Nintendo pushed it so hard on their systems. MH4U sold over 1m copies in NA + EU and that's after several entries that Nintendo spent fostering an audience with Directs, E3 presence, promo DLC, TV ads, etc. The audience is there because Nintendo built it themselves. No way that would have happened on PS4. I mean, God Eater and Toukiden probably struggled to sell even 100k on PS4 in NA + EU, let alone 1m.

Multiplat is still a possibility though. Makes sense if they need to develop HD assets anyway to go with the Switch/PS4 route.

I love MH but it will be difficult to go back to 3DS screen after Switch. Especially for an expansion. I'd be happy with just an upresed version tbh.

Mega

Banned
MH sucks on 3DS due to small screen size, low res and imperfect controls. Can't wait for a Switch version.

Freeman76

I'm sure the installed base of PS4 is enticing to Capcom, but don't forget that the only reason why the series has been successful outside of Japan is because Nintendo pushed it so hard on their systems. MH4U sold over 1m copies in NA + EU and that's after several entries that Nintendo spent fostering an audience with Directs, E3 presence, promo DLC, TV ads, etc. The audience is there because Nintendo built it themselves. No way that would have happened on PS4. I mean, God Eater and Toukiden probably struggled to sell even 100k on PS4 in NA + EU, let alone 1m.

Multiplat is still a possibility though. Makes sense if they need to develop HD assets anyway to go with the Switch/PS4 route.

God Eater and Toukiden are generally regarded as nowhere near as good though, you have to factor that in.

Ogawa-san

In an alternate reality where devs are too honest:

"Yup, it's coming, in fact XX HD is coming to Switch early 2018. Why would you even buy it on 3DS? Save your money and wait it out!"

No, thanks. I'll be on board with MH5 again. I'm through with the look of MH since MH4 and have zero interest in the X or XX spinoff. Looked good on n3DS but the series deserves new and shiny assets. Funny enough that this series hasn't reached the HD age on consoles by now. Ok, the IP works best on a handheld device. There is a nice one now. Switch it, please.

aadiboy

I think Japanese publishers have started to realize what games sell on what platforms. Platformers and classic throwbacks like Sonic Mania or Octopath Traveler do well on Nintendo. Games like RE7 and FFXV do better on PS. Monster Hunter is a series that has no reason not to be multiplatform.

I don't care if it's a 3Ds port on the Switch, just toss in some HD textures and call it a day. I want to play the thing on my TV. In fact, this is the only way I'd buy XX or Second Generation or whatever they want to call the newest one. Switch or no buy.

That's why they're trying to expand the brand to the west. It will be really hard for Capcom to invest into HD assets and ignore the massive PS4 global installed bases.
The main reason its gotten as big on the west as it has is due to Nintendo though. They've gone above and beyond for that franchise than they did for many of their own IPs.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
After three 3DS titles i bought i will wait until the Switch version - need HD MH at this point, even on a portable.

The day it releases on Switch (assuming no releases on other non-3DS hardware) is the day I buy a Switch. I can't get excited for anything on the 3DS.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
The game havent been announced for Switch yet and people are already preparing to beg for it on the PS4

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
So? That's not stopping the game from going multiplatform.

It would be stopping them from getting decent marketing though, nintendo are the ones that go out of their way to market MH for capcom in the west and why it gained so much more traction than it did 10 years ago over here.

It's the same reason so many dragon quest games came out for the Wii U and 3DS aswell as wii and DS

The one thing about capcom however, is that recently they rely incredibly on console makers to market theri games for them, with the exception of resident evil 7(and even still they rode the hype of VR on that one) they relied on microsoft and sony to market even their heavy hitter games like street fighter and dead rising

LordKano

Main reason why it possibly couldn't release on PS4 is because Nintendo is closely handling the marketing of the game, in exchange of the exclusivity.

The game havent been announced for Switch yet and people are already preparing to beg for it on the PS4

Well, after all the PS4 has right now one more Monter Hunter announced than the Switch!

It would be stopping them from getting decent marketing though, nintendo are the ones that go out of their way to market MH for capcom in the west and why it gained so much more traction than it did 10 years ago over here.

Yeah, I bet Sony (We treat key third party games like ours) would never ever give a third party game some nice marketing.

Akiller

Capcom recentely talked about how much faster is the porting work on Switch than WiiU (they mentioned MH3U HD as example: with Switch they saw that time and staff needed for porting was almost halfed), so a switch version of JP MHXX at the end of the year might be possible after all.

We're not getting Monster Hunter Stories localized for 3DS are we?

Game bombed in Japan so i dont think it will come.

beril

I wonder if they can get cross platform multiplayer going between 3DS and Switch. Otherwise I could see splitting the userbase as an excuse not to port XX

fireflame

I wish they could both release new mh games on 3ds(old ones) and still provide a better framerate. I never wanted to get a new 3DS because i felt betrayed by Nintendo and i did not want to feed them with that.

KAL2006

Banned
I wonder if they can get cross platform multiplayer going between 3DS and Switch. Otherwise I could see splitting the userbase as an excuse not to port XX

They won't port XX. They will likely be releasing Monster Hunter 5 on Switch only. But i don't expect to see it released this year. Most likely 2018 coinciding with a Switch price drop.

I think when Nintendo drop the price of Switch. They will start releasing their handheld type games and phase out 3DS. At the moment Switch is a Wii U replacement and 3DS is still going.

I suppose he's adressing to japan, right?

I doubt Capcom will even bother bringing XX to the west.
They won't even bring stories :(

Capcom recentely talked about how much faster is the porting work on Switch than WiiU (they mentioned MH3U HD as example: with Switch they saw that time and staff needed for porting was almost halfed), so a switch version of JP MHXX at the end of the year might be possible after all.

Game bombed in Japan so i dont think it will come.
it did sell 300k i think? also they have that zelda collab going on which they can bank on
MH 5 is not announced yet and going by Capcom comments next big MH being PS4/Switch is very likely.

it will be on 3DS too, trust me

Top Bottom