• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So does anyone else think that content is held back for GamesCom/PSX?

I've just watched the rest of the SONY conference that i missed and i can't help but wonder if the proximity of both events meant that that sony had held back content that surely they should have been able to show (eg: Its been 3-4 years - surely sucker punch's game is near completion and/or in a demo-able state) - There was plenty of surprises still - Monster Hunter World / SOTC and they gave away heaps of content in their Pre Show.

Anyone know what tiltes were showcased in the past at gamescom/psx and the insight it'd give us as to what will happen in the near future. GamesCom is in 2 months.

DCLhRqeVoAAHoAp.jpg:large

Turkoop

Banned
I am totally sure about this, especially Dreams.
I can imagine to see a GC/PGW presser full with indie and other stuff.

Yeah I had the same thought when I watched Sony's last night. I mean it was fine when they had plenty to show at both conference but their e3 was really mediocre this year and I hope it's not because they wanted to save their big guns for PSX.

Nah...I think there's but so many amazing conferences they can have. Games take longer to develop now. Sony was overdue for a rehash year.

We have a roadmap already for PS4 for the rest of the gen basically.

Said it in another thread they have psx and tgs, Nintendo can whip up a direct whenever they want. Only one I was worried about was Microsoft and it didn't wow me and it's worst because they don't do much else for the rest of the year

Jawmuncher

Gamescom no. If it's like last year Sony won't even have a conference there. TGS probably will be Sony just relying on third Party Japanese devs like last time.

Probably saved a lot of their stuff for PSX

pastrami

You know that Sony skipped Gamescom/PGW last year, right? I think that with bloating budgets, fewer titles being made, and third parties holding their own events, there's just not enough in the pipeline to justify all these shows. They have E3 for the West, TGS for the East, and PSX for fans.

Elios83

I don't think the point was to hold back content for other conferences but to focus the attention on a few key titles.
God of War, Spiderman, Detroit and Days Gone are their next big games in the near future and they wanted to make it clear this E3.
Although the conference was hurted by the short length and the lack of new big announcements (except the remake of SOTC) at some point they had to stop announcing games over games in an unfocused way.
We know that there are other big titles coming like TLOU2, Death Stranding, FFVIIR, Shenmue 3, RDR2 but those will be discussed later.
Also at this point third parties like to have their own conferences to announce their big games when they see fit.
I guess that we'll see more japanese games announced at TGS and then an important PSX conference as their winter update.

I expect Sucker Punch tease at PSX and fully reveal at E3 next year. I think almost all of Sony's major first-party studios have either revealed or recently released their game. So outside of Sucker Punch, I don't expect any large AAA first party game to be announced. Unless its second party like From Software.

Corpsepyre

Banned
It's obvious they will have announcements at PSX. You have to remember that GT Sport, Knack 2, Matterfall, new Supermassive game, Uncharted DLC will all be out in 2017. They will be showing way more for 2018 and beyond at at PSX. They had to show more of the games they announced last year at E3 and move them out the door. I fully expect Sucker Punch and whatever else at the event.

patapuf

I kind of doubt it ? When you announce everything that is greenlighted at once you have to release the games before having new stuff to announce. With dev cycles getting longer that's going to take some time.

Maybe they have a new game at PSX but i don't get where people see room for "lots" of unanounced games.

Floody

Gamescom? No. PSX? Definitely, be shocked if TLoU 2, Death Stranding and Sucker Punch's new game all miss that.

We might get something but I think it's more likely that Sony is just refuelling the tanks, they've had two massive E3s and PSX's and an existing slate of games to show off and get released already. Let them stockpile some announcements for a bit

Next E3 we probably get Death Stranding, TLOU 2 gameplay, Suckerpunch and the other Guerilla team's projects. Maybe a new Soulsborne.

Tonyx

Holding off something from E3 in favor of Gamescom? Unlikely.

If anything, they could have some more detail on something already announced. But new announces? Seems unlikely.

The only game I can see them truly holding back in favor of Gamescom is GT Sports.

TGS and PSX though? Maybe. Or another reason being the games that werent premiered arent ready to be shown yet.

g11

I'm holding out hope that PSX is when they announce whatever this theoretical FromSoft game is. Kojima will probably have another Death Stranding trailer too. PSX generally seems like when they show/announce remasters, indie or AA games or stuff WAAAY out in the future.

linkboy

No, I think it's more that Sony focused on showing games coming out soon as opposed to showing games that don't have a set release date (like FF7 Remake and Shenmue 3 last year).

sirap

PSX is a big event for them and TGS is the right place to debut Bloodborne 2 or whatever they've got From working on.

I think it's more likely that an unusual number of studios had their games releasing in the past 12 months or so and are in the planning stage of their next projects rather than being at a point in development to discuss them.
2017 has been so good so far, unsustainably good in terms of frequency and quality of titles. That was always going to come at a cost.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
PSX? maybe. Gamescom? Nope As noted before, most everything that Sony showed here should be out in a year's time unlike the other pipe dream releases with no hard date attached to it.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Am I the only one glad they didn't announce any new games that we wouldn't get to play for 2-3 years? I think it was fine to focus on this year and early 2018. It's almost a given that we will see BB2 and TLOU2 at PSX, as well as something new and unexpected (SP game).

Elandyll

Banned
Gotta be.
Nothing about Dreams or WilD.

Am surprised that Hellblade got 0 mentions though. It's coming pretty soon.

Am I the only one glad they didn't announce any new games that we wouldn't get to play for 2-3 years? I think it was fine to focus on this year and early 2018

Par for the course if 2019 is indeed year of the PS5.

2018 E3 will be the last year of PS4 "alone", and I imagine it'll be all about TLOU2 and Death Stranding.

Maybe we're just seeing a direction where game publishers are only announcing games that are a 1-1.5 years away––ones that have a release window at least as opposed to 'now in development' games.

Mugy

E3 happened. And so just one gameplay tráiler, not original artwork (not even by shinkiro) crap cutscenes (i think mvc3 character endings where more charismatic)

eFKac

I doubt either of the two will have Gamescom/PGW conference, at least with many new announcements.

Sony probably held something back for PSX, but it's mostly release scheduling that caught up with them. Dev time has increased and the number of studios has droppped. You just can't have E3 like 2016 year after year.

The only game I can see them truly holding back in favor of Gamescom is GT Sports.

TGS and PSX though? Maybe. Or another reason being the games that werent premiered arent ready to be shown yet.
I can see them holding back Dreams for Gamescom. Though I'm not 100% it's not at E3 show floor somehow

Maybe we're just seeing a direction where game publishers are only announcing games that are a 1-1.5 years away––ones that have a release window at least as opposed to 'now in development' games.

Yeah. They just blew their load last year by announcing games that were years away. This E3 conference had everything releasing this or next year. next year should again have more completely new titles.

Am I the only one glad they didn't announce any new games that we wouldn't get to play for 2-3 years? I think it was fine to focus on this year and early 2018
Dammned if you or don't type situation. Probably could've announced sucker punches ip,ffxvi,Bruce's game he's probably working on,Etc
Ppl would've ate it up until later when it settles in and than it turns into they announced stuff too early

big_z

nope, sony blew their load last year showing games that were years off and now were stuck working through it. well still get the occasionally exciting announcement but there wont be another big wave to get pumped about.

Chille

Considering most of the games Microsoft announced at E3 this year are also coming to PS4, they had no real reason to announce a huge amount imo, especially considering how many we had already this year and we still got a few on the way. I can see a few bomb shells being dropped at PSX.

Apathy

I think they have seen the importance of psx and the fact that that will also get exclusive media coverage at that time that perhaps some things might get pushed out there to be shown.

firelogic

I don't think they held anything big back, outside of what Sucker Punch is working on. Reason being, all the big games were announced in the past and those games haven't come out yet which means the various studios are still working on them. There isn't anything else to announce. I fully expected a no-surprise E3 for Sony this year so I wasn't disappointed.

Nothing new is going to be coming from Bend, Insomniac, Naughty Dog, Guerilla, Santa Monica, Quantic Dream, Square Enix, etc...

Gotta be.
Nothing about Dreams or WilD.

Am surprised that Hellblade got 0 mentions though. It's coming pretty soon.

Par for the course if 2019 is indeed year of the PS5.

2018 E3 will be the last year of PS4 "alone", and I imagine it'll be all about TLOU2 and Death Stranding.

I'm not sure a 2019 release for PS5 is realistic because all of the big studios are still working on games, many of which won't be out until 2018. There's not going to be anything made for the PS5 launch. The Last of Us 2 cross-gen? Horizon sequel (I think 2019 would be too soon, especially on new hardware). Sucker Punch still hasn't released anything since Infamous Second Son. Bend hasn't released Days Gone yet. Polyphony hasn't released GTS yet. They aren't going to have anything from first party for 2019 imo.

For me, the one thing about this year's E3 is that they didnt do the 'oh, one more thing' which they've always done. Kind of feel a little that they saw what the competition has shown and decided to pull a game reveal.

I'm aware that they had a few really solid looking title that they showed on the preshow - but all those could have fit into a gameplay montage and a quick talk about what we just saw. When's 2017's PSX?

flkraven

Every year can't be 'too good to be true', and do you really want them to announce a few more games that won't come along for 2+ years? What's the point in that?

Sony had an insane 2015 E3. Their biggest 'holy shit' reveals, that solidified them as the unanimous winners on GAF:
-Horizon: Zero Dawn
-The Last Guardian 'returns'
-Final Fantasy 7 Remake
-Shenmue 3
-Project Morpheus

And 2016:

-Spiderman (Insomniac)
-Death Stranding
Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

The point is, we are still waiting on FF7, Shenmue 3, Spiderman, and Death Stranding (and most of which show no signs of coming out soon). And these are the games the generated the biggest fanboy-freakout hype.

So the question is, would you rather they fill the show out with 'hype' games that have nothing but a teaser and a vague 2019 release date so people can get their freak out on? Because me personally, I much prefer this more subdued E3. Most of the games I saw are scheduled to release in the next 6-9 months and I much prefer it that way. A subdued E3 this year means that next year the surprise 'reveals' might actually come out in a reasonable time frame.

Gurish

PSX it seems.

I think, and it's just a theory, that Sony had some market research and got to the conclusion that PSX is just as important as E3 if not more so according to the feefback and buzz that they gathered around the event in social media and gaming sites, you could see it last year where they started treating it as E3 pt.2 while before that it was a pretty minor conf in regards to reveals and megatons, at best they used to put up a new demo of an anticipated game that they already revealed and demoed before.

Top Bottom