• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Wars: Jedi Survivor | Review Thread

Draugoth

Gold Member
1A1FpYV.jpg

Game Information​

Game Title: Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
Platforms:
  • PlayStation 5 (Apr 28, 2023)
  • PC (Apr 28, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Apr 28, 2023)
Trailers:
Developer: Respawn
Publisher: Electronic Arts

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 89 average - 91% recommended - 33 reviews

19gMCTF.jpg

MetaCritic - 86 average - PlayStation 5 - 59 Reviews

gwtdv7Z.jpg

MetaCritic - 82 average - PC - 13 Reviews

WDo1Pc0.jpg

Critic Reviews​

Attack of the Fanboy - Diego Perez - 4 / 5
Star Wars Jedi: Survivor builds on the foundation established in Fallen Order and delivers expansive environments crammed with content and secrets. Respawn still falls into some of the same pitfalls that it did in Fallen Order, though, namely in its underwhelming linear sections and middling story.
But Why Tho? - Mick Abrahamson - 9 / 10
Star Wars Jedi: Survivor is a fantastic definition of what a sequel should be. Its overall presentation showed that Respawn and the amazing team of developers listened to the criticism. From the improvements to combat, to exploration, to even just finding ways to add more depth to the characters, Star Wars Jedi: Survivor is the Star Wars game that fans have been waiting for.
Checkpoint Gaming - Omi Koulas - 9 / 10
With a cast of both fresh and familiar characters, an engaging story, and hours of captivating exploration across beautiful planets and biomes, this game is sure to leave fans of the franchise on the edge of their seats. Cal's incredible sense of movement and newfound lightsaber skills spur empowering battles with groups of raiders, stormtroopers, and alien creatures. Being able to personalise your experience with cosmetics, game-changing perks and optional side quests means the journey is yours to carve. Bosses might benefit from more inventiveness and there's the occasional visual bug and platforming visibility issue, yet it's all worth it for the bliss of being a Jedi in action. Whether you're a Padawan or a Jedi Master, Star Wars Jedi: Survivor is a must-play. May the Force be with you!
ComicBook.com - Logan Moore - 4 / 5
Star Wars Jedi: Survivor is a strong sequel that improves on nearly every core element seen in Fallen Order. Even in spite of some pacing troubles with its story, Cal Kestis is an even more compelling protagonist this time around and continues to be one of the best new Star Wars characters that has come about in the Disney era.
Eurogamer - Chris Tapsell - No Recommendation
Star Wars Jedi: Survivor lovable unpretentiousness is what makes it such a blast - but a lack of true focus holds it back.
Everyeye.it - Gabriele Laurino - Italian - 8.7 / 10
Quote not yet available
Explosion Network - Dylan Blight - 9 / 10
Combat feels more lively from the get-go, with Cal already able to use plenty of force abilities and feeling like a Jedi; the narrative is much more exciting thanks to a clear focus in the opposite direction of the upcoming events of the films, and instead into the secret untapped potential at the feet of all Star Wars storytelling.
GGRecon - Ben Williams - 4.5 / 5
An even more gripping and heartfelt story than the last, incredibly broadened combat, immersive exploration, and a much deeper assortment of customisation and RPG elements make this Jedi experience your own whilst simultaneously remaining the intimate tale of Cal Kestis and his crew.
All in all, with small gripes aside, Star Wars Jedi: Survivor is everything you could want from a Star Wars game. The only thing truly holding it back from perfection are some bugs, but this truly feels like the best Star Wars game in decades.
Geek Culture - Jake Su - 9 / 10
There are small issues, which in the grand scheme of things, wouldn’t amount to much when Star Wars Jedi: Survivor remains exemplary in the areas that matter more. Having been introduced to Cal Kestis in 2019, it is fitting that in 2023, we finally get to see the fruits of Respawn’s labour. Here stands a mature Jedi Knight, capable of shouldering the heavy responsibility of not just saving the day, but doing so with flair and proficiency, a similar journey for a sequel that takes centre stage in our galaxy.
IGN - Dan Stapleton - 9 / 10
If Respawn makes a third game like Star Wars Jedi: Survivor and Fallen Order, it'll complete the best Star Wars trilogy in 30 years, hands down.
Inverse - Hayes Madsen - 9 / 10
With 'Star Wars Jedi: Survivor', Respawn has crafted one of the most memorable Star Wars experiences of the last decade. If you’re a fan of a galaxy far, far away, you can’t miss this one. In the five years since 'Fallen Order', Cal has become more competent and confident, and that’s directly represented in all aspects of 'Survivor’s gameplay. The sequel doesn't take away any of Cal’s abilities from the previous game, instead building upon them in meaningful and gratifying ways.
Kakuchopurei - Kenn Leandre - 90 / 100
Sure the navigation part and bugs on PC provide a slight wrinkle. But don't let that dissuade you from picking up what is essentially, THE BEST Star Wars game in the market come release day, supplanting its prequel - like The Empire Strikes Back to A New Hope. Easy said, Star Wars Jedi: Survivor is the most fun we've had with a Star Wars game since, well, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order. And that's a huge deal.
Multiplayer First - Alex Co - 8 / 10
While there are tech issues (a lot, to be honest), Survivor is still a very fun game. There are bosses to vanquish, people to help, and even if the story isn’t the strongest part of the game, you’ll still want to finish it just to see how it plays out.
Respawn hasn’t hit the dreaded Sophomore Slump with Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, but it’s not the massive follow-up that a lot of people (including this reviewer) were hoping for. It manages to keep the status quo in providing a fantastic Star Wars experience, but one that’s marred by technical issues. Don’t get me wrong, this sequel is definitely a must-play for any Star Wars fan, but it could have been so much more, given more time and polish.
Star Wars Jedi: Survivor is a fun action game and a worthy follow-up from Respawn; just be prepared to fight some of its tech issues along the way.
One More Game - Vincent Ternida - Buy
Star Wars Jedi: Survivor is a monumental balancing act that improves upon its predecessor while standing on its own as a satisfying and emotional story. From its dynamic gameplay to an improvement in its movement and verticality to the delicate balance of its story, Star Wars Jedi: Survivor gets a lot of things right, showing us the way how to make a true Star Wars video game.
Just like Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order before it, I highly recommend this game not only to fans of Star Wars but to everyone else simply because of the experience. The game offers players a story of epic proportions, characters that they can emotionally relate to, and an experience that doesn't overstay its welcome or overwhelm you with too much content. It finds the right balance that ends up feeling fulfilling on all fronts.
PSX Brasil - Ivan Nikolai Barkow Castilho - Portuguese - 90 / 100
Star Wars Jedi: Survivor is a great sequel. The story is very good (especially in the final parts) and there is a lot of optional content. The gameplay remains excellent and with many new features. The technical part, however, needs adjustments.
PowerUp! - Leo Stevenson - 7 / 10
Jedi: Survivor, in spite of everything I've written here, isn't a bad game. It's just ok and it's suffering an identity crisis but it's still quite playable and entertaining. Hampered by some baffling design decisions, Jedi: Survivor doesn't know what kind of game it wants to be nor what kind of game it is.
Rock, Paper, Shotgun - Alice Bell - Unscored
An undeniably fun Star Wars sequel with a suitably epic story and smart combat, but a hell of a lot of busywork alongside it.
SECTOR.sk - Matúš Štrba - Slovak - 8.5 / 10
Star Wars Jedi: Survivor is an excellent game that brings many improvements compared to its predecessor in every area. Moreover, these changes are not just for show, but are all in response to player feedback. Richer worlds, more varied combat styles, additional content, and numerous smaller innovations take the game to a new level. However, the game's performance cannot be bad like this.
Sirus Gaming - Lexuzze Tablante - 9 / 10
Over the past week, I immensely enjoyed my time with Star Wars Jedi: Survivor. There's no doubt Survivor is a great follow-up to 2019's Fallen Order. With the game's significantly refined combat gameplay, expansive areas, and a decent story, you will enjoy what Survivor has in store, whether you're a Star Wars fan or a casual gamer looking to experience a solid Star Wars game despite its technical flaws. Star Wars Jedi: Survivor is definitely strong with the Force!
TechRaptor - Erren Van Duine - 9 / 10
Star Wars Jedi: Survivor expands on the foundations of its predecessor by crafting a bigger, more fleshed-out, and customizable Jedi experience.
Tom's Hardware Italia - Andrea Riviera - Italian - 8.7 / 10
The Force is powerful in Star Wars Jedi Survivor: an impressive sequel in every respect. Respawn Entertainment has created something with a lot of heart, bringing to life a work, which between gameplay, staging, level design and an all-around well-orchestrated storyline, has proven to deserve to be among the best video games of this 2023. Net of a decidedly improvable technical optimization and while not revolutionizing anything in the genre, Cal Kestis' journey is one of those must-see adventures and the Star Wars experience we have been waiting for and can finally enjoy.
TrueGaming - Arabic - 9 / 10
Without a shadow of a doubt, Team Respawn Entertainment has proven once again that what we saw in the previous part is no coincidence. They have indeed outdone themselves with StarWars Jedi Survivor.
Twinfinite - Joe Craven - 4.5 / 5
Quote not yet available
We Got This Covered - David James - 3 / 5
Star Wars Jedi: Survivor does so much right in continuing Cal Kestis' story, delivering the best lightsaber combat in a game to date along with some huge environments to explore. Sadly it's also launching with a bevy of technical issues and frame-rate problems that will provide the worst experience for early adopters. Players deserve better.
WellPlayed - Adam Ryan - 9 / 10
Challenging combat, rewarding platforming, engaging exploration and a surprisingly unique story has Survivor in the conversation for the best Star Wars game ever released.
Worth Playing - Redmond Carolipio - 9.1 / 10
I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Star Wars Jedi: Survivor and would recommend it to anyone who is remotely a fan of the Star Wars universe, whether they're getting exposed to it for the first time or are of a certain age and have loved it since they heard Luke Skywalker whine about power converters decades ago. Respawn is onto something here, and I've low-key been waiting - wishing - for Cal Kestis to show up in one of the upcoming shows or movies. These games have made that kind of impact, and I'm looking forward to where the story goes next.
XGN.nl - Luuc ten Velde - Dutch - 9 / 10
Star Wars Jedi: Survivor sports an excellent return for Cal Kestis and his adventures to escape the grasp of the Empire. Thanks to a ton of new additions in both gameplay and customization, you've never felt closer to being a Jedi than in this game even though the performance could've been better.
XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 9.4 / 10
STAR WARS Jedi: Survivor continues Respawn’s run as one of the best in the industry. It is an incredible accomplishment, blending top-tier gameplay and narrative in a package few games can match. Performance during my review was rough, but if they can smooth it out then this is a game that no one should miss. For fans of STAR WARS, this is the game we have been waiting for. One that fixes the mistakes of the previous, and soars to heights we could have only dreamed of.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Seeing lots of 9s and 9.5s out of 10

Let's fuckin go boys

EDIT: lol at IGN's review

If Respawn makes a third game like Star Wars Jedi: Survivor and Fallen Order, it'll complete the best Star Wars trilogy in 30 years, hands down.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Basically what I was expecting, if not even better. I was already all in and so hyped, but now I'm even MORE hyped! LFG!

I just came back from visiting Galaxy's Edge for the first time this past week. Star Wars is always flowing through me, but it's been REAL bad as of late because of that. :pie_roffles:

Last edited:

TheZink

I am here if anyone wants to ask any (non-spoiler) stuff. For the score, we deducted it for its tech issues. There's quite a lot of it on PS5. Not sure what platform other reviewers played it on.
did you happen to have the day one patch that is supposedly happening?

TrebleShot

I’m very interested in Thai and will get it as I lived the first but I need to know about the performance on PS5 and PC.

Rough go​

The only thing that threatened to ruin my good time were the constant performance issues with the PC version. Even with Nvidia's latest driver specifically optimized for the game, my framerate regularly slowed to a crawl at very annoying moments. Stepping through doors sometimes triggers double-digit framerate drops for ten seconds or more. Cutscenes often plummet to 15-20 fps, cut off or overlap dialogue, and usually don't recover until I get control back.

I'm no Unreal Engine expert, but the worst slowdowns always seem to occur when the game's loading stuff in the background. Using the galaxy map on Cal's ship turned into a slideshow every single time—presumably because it's begun loading the planet I'm about to travel to. Performance in the most open parts of Koboh is pretty bad, too. On an RTX 2080 Super, i9-9900KS 4.00GHz, and 32GB RAM, I was lucky to squeeze a 35 fps average in the semi-open world. Isolated levels ran flawlessly at 80-90 fps, so there's clearly something up with the way Respawn is drawing big spaces. I briefly tried one other machine (RTX 3060, Ryzen 7 5700G, 16GB RAM) and had the same problems.

(Image credit: Respawn)
Fiddling with graphics options didn't help much, either. There's no native option to limit the framerate, but the Nvidia control panel did the trick. The only upscaling option is FSR 2.0, which usually failed to improve my fps but always succeeded in making Cal's face blurry and unintelligible in motion. I've never missed DLSS more.

For what it's worth, there's a pre-release patch coming a few days before launch, and among the patch notes EA shared with press is "performance improvements across all platforms." Hopefully it'll help, but I'd be surprised if all of those framerate drops disappeared overnight. We are living in a time of bad PC ports (opens in new tab), after all.

Unacceptable performance aside, the good news is I still had a great time. Jedi: Survivor is a bigger, bolder game than its predecessor that prioritizes tight level design over map scale, a rarity in an age of sprawling sandboxes. This is Respawn firing on all cylinders, having finally figured out what works in its weird soulslike adventure format.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Reviewing very well, good to see.

Not picking this up before May so hopefully any launch day issues are fixed by then.

Hugare

Way better than I was antecipating

I was ready to buy Dead Island 2, but then Jedi Survivor comes.

2023 has been harsh to my wallet

Fbh

Respwan stays winning.

With Zelda and FF16 on the Horizon I don't really have the budget for more day 1 games right now, but I'll definitely be buying this on sale.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
did you happen to have the day one patch that is supposedly happening?
Yes. We tested it with the patch and without it and noticed a slight improvement but issues still there.
what specific issues?
Crashing, I died like twice inside a friggin' elevator just by jumping around. I got stuck more than once in an environment after running and jumping. Hard crash (straight to dashboard) happened too.

GymWolf

I am here if anyone wants to ask any (non-spoiler) stuff. For the score, we deducted it for its tech issues. There's quite a lot of it on PS5. Not sure what platform other reviewers played it on.
Is exploration rewarding this time or it's just cosmetics and fucking ponchos again?

Because i'm not gonna even bother exploring this time if the majority of what you find is useless crap.

Is the map as terrible as the first one or you can actually see shit this time?

Does combat still feels kinda clunky sometimes or they reached sekiro level of perfection?

Last edited:
Okay, gonna save this for next week when I get paid. Just picked up Dead Island 2 and really enjoying the co-op. This and Redfall for me next week, then with TOTK right around the corner...2023 is firing on all cylinders.

Reactions: KU_

Meicyn

Gold Member
Yes. We tested it with the patch and without it and noticed a slight improvement but issues still there.

Crashing, I died like twice inside a friggin' elevator just by jumping around. I got stuck more than once in an environment after running and jumping. Hard crash (straight to dashboard) happened too.
Dang, that’s disappointing to hear. Looks like I’ll wait for bugs to get patched before I fully commit to playing, much like last time.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Is exploration rewarding this time or it's just cosmetics and fucking ponchos again?

Because i'm not gonna even bother exploring this time if the majority of what you find is useless crap.

Is the map as terrible as the first one or you can actually see shit this time?

Does combat still feels kinda clunky sometimes or they reached sekiro level of perfection?
its mostly useless crap again. some quests might award you skill points but chests are still full of cosmetics. only this time cosmetics includes more than just ponchos. beards, hairdos, and other clothing items.

in short, dont bother exploring.

GymWolf

its mostly useless crap again. some quests might award you skill points but chests are still full of cosmetics. only this time cosmetics includes more than just ponchos. beards, hairdos, and other clothing items.

in short, dont bother exploring.
Jesus, imagine making a 3d metroidvania structure with shit rewards for exploration...

Well i think i'm gonna try redfall before this one, i still have to finish di2 first.

MiguelItUp

7:20 he says game ran horribly on his 3080Ti at 1440p High and couldnt keep a 60fps

Uh O 😬
True, but he also said he had an absolutely great time with the game, and that it was one of the best, if not the best Star Wars game in a long while. He compared PC performance to Hogwarts'. Which, I can't speak on behalf of everyone, but I didn't notice any crazy performance issues during my time with it. I'm sure and hope it'll be patched in time, maybe even before launch, but I'm not concerned.

Does anyone say how long the game is? Any stuff regarding PC performance?
The Fextralife review I posted goes over a pretty good amount while being spoiler free. Said the main campaign was about 20 hours on Normal. Max completion could be 25-30. Said that on Hard it would probably be 30 - 40 due to dying, etc. He said performance was pretty rough, but he was still able to enjoy and complete the game. Said it felt a lot like Hogwarts' did at launch on PC.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

I'm no Unreal Engine expert, but the worst slowdowns always seem to occur when the game's loading stuff in the background. Using the galaxy map on Cal's ship turned into a slideshow every single time—presumably because it's begun loading the planet I'm about to travel to. Performance in the most open parts of Koboh is pretty bad, too. On an RTX 2080 Super, i9-9900KS 4.00GHz, and 32GB RAM, I was lucky to squeeze a 35 fps average in the semi-open world. Isolated levels ran flawlessly at 80-90 fps, so there's clearly something up with the way Respawn is drawing big spaces. I briefly tried one other machine (RTX 3060, Ryzen 7 5700G, 16GB RAM) and had the same problems.​

FFS, Why is this so hard? Games have been using streaming in the background for a good decade and a half. Why is this becoming an issue recently?

I swear we are going backwards.

Most likely it's console (which one I don't know) but PC doesn't have "quality" or "performance", you just tweak the settings.

Ok...i'll wait for all patches and a price drop then, like i did for the first game. You'd think not releasing on past gens would help with stuff like this. These consoles have SSDs for god's sake. No need to wait 15 seconds for a damn set to load in front of us.

Will wait and see what happens with patches unless the XSX version is good. Fextralife did say the XSX version performed very well but I'd like a second, third and forth opinion at least.

PC version sounds really poor and the PS5 reviews I found said it's at 40fps fairly often and has a lot of pop-in. It looks kind of rough too with poor IQ unless it's just bad footage.

Top Bottom