• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Resident Evil Revelations Screenshots And Footage [And Gifs]

Neiteio

Man, I already feel like Mr. Grey Monster is my new best friend. I've watched him smear windows with blood splatter and ominously stalk Jill down the stairs so many times that I feel I can call him by his first name. So I will -- Hey Grey, how's it going, bud? Love ya, man.

Seriously, let's see, he's got a spiny, club-like arm for smackin' foos, and a lumbering gait, and thick grey skin cuz he ain't phased by the haters, and what alternatively appears like a helmet-like scalp and a tentacled maw. Some serious Innsmouth shit on this ocean y'all.

Let's talk about Revelations. :(

The M.O.B

Neiteio said:
Man, I already feel like Mr. Grey Monster is my new best friend. I've watched him smear windows with blood splatter and ominously stalk Jill down the stairs so many times that I feel I can call him by his first name. So I will -- Hey Grey, how's it going, bud? Love ya, man.

Seriously, let's see, he's got a spiny, club-like arm for smackin' foos, and a lumbering gait, and thick grey skin cuz he ain't phased by the haters, and what alternatively appears like a helmet-like scalp and a tentacled maw. Some serious Innsmouth shit on this ocean y'all.

Let's talk about Revelations. :(

.....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................wow

GDGF

Soothsayer
3DS fans are dropping like flies in these threads. Stop getting banned, people.

Anyway, game looks awesome. I want to see more.

Wondering what alternate costumes we'll unlock in this one.

Neiteio

I wonder where the ship will arrive, if anywhere. I'm getting a "Deadliest Catch" vibe from the storm-whipped seas in the debut trailer, so maybe we're talking Alaska, or someplace cold and snowy? It'd be nice to see snowflakes falling in stereo 3D.

Kard8p3

What was that RE4 style game that took place on a ship? This is reminding me a lot of it but I can't remember what it was called.

Neiteio

So, what are we to make of the flashes of random zombies shown in the trailer from E3? We see what appears to be a mansion on the boat, complete with water bursting through the windows; we see HUNK fighting Uroboros-esque slithery things; and we see drooling, snarling, flesh-eating cadavers. Will this game bring back zombies?

Also, a neat little detail I just noticed in the game reel from Nintendo's recent summit: the grey monster makes this wet gurgling sound as he lumbers about. Very menacing!

Luigiv

GDGF said:
3DS fans are dropping like flies in these threads. Stop getting banned, people.

Anyway, game looks awesome. I want to see more.

Wondering what alternate costumes we'll unlock in this one.
GDGF
Banned
(10-04-2010, 10:36 AM)
Reply | Quote

Oh the Irony!

So it zooms into 1st person instead, huh? Due to the enclosed space and small screen, possibly?

Also the monster bites Jill exactly like a Regenerator. Never gonna let those assets go to waste.

How About No said:
So it zooms into 1st person instead, huh? Due to the enclosed space and small screen, possibly?

Also the monster bites Jill exactly like a Regenerator. Never gonna let those assets go to waste.
or maybe because going into first person while seeing those monster coming at ya looks way better in 3D than in 3rd person?

I like the first person shooting.

SixStringPsycho said:
or maybe because going into first person while seeing those monster coming at ya looks way better in 3D than in 3rd person?

Without a doubt that's why they did it.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Someone on Gamefaqs said ONM has a write up on Revelations and Mercaries. Just gonna copy what they wrote:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997614-3ds/56930330

zerokandery said:
Mercenaries
The newest issue of Official Nintendo Magazine (ONM) hit store shelves today in Europe, and while there is no real big news there are a few snippets of it for the title. First they confirm that every single playable character from Resident Evil 4%u2032s and 5%u2032s Mercenaries modes are playable in the game (in case you’re not aware, this includes Leon, Ada, Krauser, HUNK, Wesker, Chris, Jill, and Sheva and while we’re not sure if this includes the Mercenaries Reunion characters we do know that Barry and Rebecca are in so Josh and Excella could be as well), as well as the stages in the game being the Eight Mercenaries stages from RE5 and the Four Mercenaries stages from RE4. This will be included with some more hidden characters who have not previously been in Mercenaries (like Claire Redfield), new Game Modes, and some new alternate costumes for the characters (in Mercenaries style having a different weapon set). A smaller but still fine detail is the mention that the RE4 stages may have been made more like the RE5 Mercenaries stages with the different time crystals and more enemies as well as some graphical face-lifts.

REvelations
ONM seem excited as they think Revelations could be the very best Resident Evil game to date, combing and evolving the series in ways to take what works and amplify it. Having a Resident Evil 4/5 camera style while maneuvering cramped spaces in the dark haunted house-like cruise ship, the camera style changes to a first person view when they aim, with ONM also confirming in this mode players can move and shoot while aiming. Given you’re not going to be running and shooting but stick to a crawl as you can allow yourself to pace around as you aim. They also say 3D is one of the best things to happen to horror gaming, there’s nothing quite as terrifying as looking left or right and seeing nothing there only to turn around and see something coming at you in fully rendered 3D.

They also speak a bit how the game is very story-heavy, and their interested to see how a friendship-turning sour between Chris and Jill fares as some initial disagreements turn into distrust which soon turn in suspicion and madness. They also speak that the game uses weather to it’s efficiency, and that the cruise ship they are on is doomed and as the game progresses parts of the ship are getting flooded and torn as monsters break free and multiply. They even hint that this all happens in real-time and not scripted to reaching certain points in the game, so the longer you dwiddle-daddle the worse state the ship finds itself in and the harder it gets for our heroes, with it maybe even including timed events in the style of The Legend of Zelda Majoras Mask where it sounds like the whole ship is screwed and you need to get out of there before time runs out with specific events linked to certain times on the ship. All very interesting an unexpected.

They share 8 reasons why this may be the best Resident Evil yet and a real system seller for the 3DS, check out ONM for the two pages on the game.

Serenade said:
Someone on Gamefaqs said ONM has a write up on Revelations and Mercaries. Just gonna copy what they wrote:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/997614-3ds/56930330
That sounds awesome. I was one of those people who was severely disappointed by RE5 but Revelations looks like it's rectifying all of my issues with that game and then some. Zero interest in Mercenaries aside from the fanservice, though, and that's unlikely to get me to shell out when there's so much else to buy.

Eh, not digging shooting while moving if this plays like RE4/5, but I'll wait to see exactly what type of game it is and how it meshes together. The cramped settings are certainly appealing though :D

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Why would you not dig the move while shooting bit? Isn't that part of what has held RE back lately?

To me it's only frustrating to not be able to, it doesn't increase tension.

Boney

Banned
Thunderbear said:
Why would you not dig the move while shooting bit? Isn't that part of what has held RE back lately?

If it's well designed, holding your ground works well. Like RE4.

If you wanna move, you'd better get something to accomodate, wobbly aiming, the chance of tripping or bumping into something. I don't know...

Glad to hear that revelations seems to be returning to horror rather than the action fest re5 was. Lost in Nightmares was the direction I hoped the RE series would follow.

Worried about that flooding tidbit. I don't enjoy games with time limits and don't like being rushed.

abstract alien said:
Eh, not digging shooting while moving if this plays like RE4/5, but I'll wait to see exactly what type of game it is and how it meshes together. The cramped settings are certainly appealing though :D
creeping down corridors in first person 3d could be creepy.

i wouldn't remotely worry about it. just as RE4 and 5 were designed around not being able to move and shoot, if this indeed does let you move and shoot it will have been designed accordingly.

all that matters is that the gameplay has been designed for the controls really.

ptown

Boney said:
If it's well designed, holding your ground works well. Like RE4.

If you wanna move, you'd better get something to accomodate, wobbly aiming, the chance of tripping or bumping into something. I don't know...

They could probably just make the enemies more aggressive to compensate.

I didn't like how in RE4 and 5 they just run at you and stand around.

Thunderbear said:

My main gripe with RE is that it isn't survival horror anymore. There is no tension, no suspense, to cheap or deep scares...nothing. It's just a really good action game, which is fine and all for actions games. As far as the shooting is concerned, I've always loved the non moving from a mechanic perspective. Always having to plan when and where to take shots, and it did add to the tension for me in certain situations. Restriction usually adds tension for my personal tastes, provided the game is actually balanced and doesn't necessarily feel restricted. It's part of the reason I love games like the older resident evil game, and even titles P.N.03. I'm not discrediting this game because of its inclusion though, as in the end, if its balanced well and plays well, I can't really complain at all.

plagiarize said:
creeping down corridors in first person 3d could be creepy.

i wouldn't remotely worry about it. just as RE4 and 5 were designed around not being able to move and shoot, if this indeed does let you move and shoot it will have been designed accordingly.

all that matters is that the gameplay has been designed for the controls really.
Yep. It's always my main concern with any game, but capcom will pull through. I have yet to play a resident evil that wasn't designed well from a mechanical perspective.

RuneFactoryFanboy said:
Lost in Nightmares was the direction I hoped the RE series would follow.
Lost in Nightmares was a cheap imitation of classic RE, mixed with gameplay mechanics and an atmosphere that did not fit it at all.

Effect

The more I see video of the Capcom games the more I feel good about my preorder for the 3DS. I wish the Resident Evil games were coming out sooner but at least there is SSF4. What makes Capcom's work possible does seem to be the MT Framework engine they have. Are they unique in this regard? Does no one else have a engine this flexible?

king zell

Mii's

jill-valentine.jpg

chris-redfield.jpg

parker-luciani.jpg

jessica-sherawat.jpg

erlim

yes, that talented of a member
Kard8p3 said:
What was that RE4 style game that took place on a ship? This is reminding me a lot of it but I can't remember what it was called.

It was called Resident Evil: Dead Aim.
resident-evil-dead-aim.292376.jpg

Top Bottom