• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Resident Evil Revelations Screenshots And Footage [And Gifs]

Neiteio said:
I still can't believe people were playing this in Japan but they haven't released impressions. I mean, what the hell? There are actually normal people out there who could be telling us about the pacing, the controls, the scenario, the environment, the enemy AI, the combat, the atmosphere, etc, but nooooooooo. That would be too useful.
Beyond the controls and to a lesser extent combat and atmosphere how much can be gleaned by a limited amount of time with a glorified demo? Although, either way I want to hear everything I can about this game.

Phife Dawg said:
Well I for one was pretty damn impressed by SMG/SMG2 and I own a competent gaming PC.
Aren't those 2 different worlds though? One game on a polygon/fillrate focused system, the other on one not so much but makes up for it with shaders. It would make sense (if I understand the technical aspects correctly) that a company that excels in the world of the first game would have issues in the different world of the second.

Man this looks really dang good. This and MGS put Nintendo's studios to shame I can't believe how far ahead of Icarus they look.
This along with "is Paper Mario 3DS a remake" and "where's mah 360 graphics, 3DS sucks" is getting pretty annoying. Not to pick on anyone in particular.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Bending_Unit_22 said:
Beyond the controls and to a lesser extent combat and atmosphere how much can be gleaned by a limited amount of time with a glorified demo? Although, either way I want to hear everything I can about this game.

the blood splatter, the hair clipping, the monsters, the "feel" of the controls, etc.

ILikeFeet said:
the blood splatter, the hair clipping, the monsters, the "feel" of the controls, etc.
Seeing that blood splatter once was enough for me and clipping is clipping, it's bound to happen somewhere. Controls and monsters would be interesting to hear more about but how much relation will they bear to the final game? Again I'd still love to hear about it, I just don't think it's terribly useful info from which to gauge much about the final game.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Bending_Unit_22 said:
Seeing that blood splatter once was enough for me and clipping is clipping, it's bound to happen somewhere. Controls and monsters would be interesting to hear more about but how much relation will they bear to the final game? Again I'd still love to hear about it, I just don't think it's terribly useful info from which to gauge much about the final game.

the first two was a joke (see the last couple pages). the monster is what I wanted to hear about. in that short clip, the monster appears twice. judging how it reacts to Jill's shots makes me think it is the main monster of the story (like Nemesis).

wrowa

Okay, a friend of mine roughly summarized this article for me http://gamez.itmedia.co.jp/games/articles/1009/30/news035_2.html and since people asked for impressions I'll summarize his summary for you guys (yes, a summary of a summary, isn't that great?).

So, they are roughly saying that they were able to play the game for 5 minutes. During that time they were on a ship (who would've guessed). Furthermore they got the feeling that the developers tried to go back to recreate the former horror-feeling of the former Resident Evil games (the usage of 3D adds to that feeling). Graphically they are very impressed, Revelations is surprisingly good-looking and doesn't look much worse than it predecessor.

wrowa said:
Okay, a friend of mine roughly summarized this article for me http://gamez.itmedia.co.jp/games/articles/1009/30/news035_2.html and since people asked for impressions I'll summarize his summary for you guys (yes, a summary of a summary, isn't that great?).

So, they are roughly saying that they were able to play the game for 5 minutes. During that time they were on a ship (who would've guessed). Furthermore they got the feeling that the developers tried to go back to recreate the former horror-feeling of the former Resident Evil games (the usage of 3D adds to that feeling). Graphically they are very impressed, Revelations is surprisingly good-looking and doesn't look much worse than it predecessor.

Sounds good.
Should please old fans of the series.

Gomu Gomu

wrowa said:

Those 5 minutes sound awesome. I'm more worried about the rest of the game.

Prez

wrowa said:

What are they referring to with "predecessor"?

QuiteWhittle said:
Resident Evil 5, most likely.

No, obviously Deadly Silence.
resident-evil-deadly-silence-20060210103625903.jpg

It's just another DS revision, after all.

Prez

Willy105 said:
The 3DS could be running Crysis on full settings, and they would still complain it's in low resolution.

NeoGAF

Even if it was high resolution, the main character's bad looking thumb nail is inexcusable!!!

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Jocchan said:
Not going to happen, especially this late in development (it's apparently a launch window game).
The models in SSFIV3D look this good for a reason. The 3DS can only output a number of triangles, and wasting them on background characters would mean losing A LOT of detail on the fighters (and your eyes will be fixed on them 90% of the time, so it wouldn't be smart).
Making them sprites is a compromise, the most likely alternative would have probably been completely empty stages :p
The game was supposedly 10% done 2 months ago.

ILikeFeet said:
I remember hearing something about the whole percentages thing not very accurate.

It really isn't.
A game can jump from 50% done to complete in a matter of a couple of months.
It all depends on the resources available.

Vic

ILikeFeet said:
I remember hearing something about the whole percentages thing not very accurate.
I know but it still means that it was very early in development.

Sega

GDGF said:
I thought the blood splatter on the window was awesome. Pretty sure they were going for an all at once "blood cannon" effect, like the type you would see in any horror movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZqnRphKBOw
I assumed that too. I was kinda surprised no one seemed to be familiar with that pretty-damn-common movie effect. I thought it would have been slightly stronger as a two-stage effect, but it would display the same way, just with one texture showing up a frame or two after. But yeah, that's such a subtle thing that I felt silly even thinking about it. It's fine the way it is.

sfried

Gomu Gomu said:
Those 5 minutes sound awesome. I'm more worried about the rest of the game.
You mean if it will play more like the action oriented RE4/5 than REmake? That's what The Mercenaries is for!

Bring back the puzzles and the creepy pacing.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Sega said:
I assumed that too. I was kinda surprised no one seemed to be familiar with that pretty-damn-common movie effect. I thought it would have been slightly stronger as a two-stage effect, but it would display the same way, just with one texture showing up a frame or two after. But yeah, that's such a subtle thing that I felt silly even thinking about it. It's fine the way it is.

the one in the video felt like it was too instantanious

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Vic said:
The game was supposedly 10% done 2 months ago.
According to andriasang, it's planned for release next Spring, which places it around the launch window.
Also, never trust percentages. 94% of percentages are made up on the spot.

Vic

Jocchan said:
According to andriasang, it's planned for release next Spring, which places it around the launch window.
Covered that already at the post #325.

Neiteio

Regarding the blood splatter... It looks GREAT. I don't see what people are upset about. First of all, under normal conditions -- i.e. not watching a stuttering GIF -- you'll round the corner and see the window at the end of the hall and watch as the club-armed beastie throttles the poor sap and throws him -- in threeeeee-deeeeeeeee -- at the window, resulting in the lickity-split gore-slick we all know and love. All you'll be thinking at that point is, That thing is fierce! And then when it comes shambling through the door, I need to get out of here!

What I'm wondering about is the game's overall structure... In RE4/RE5, you more or less clean house in each room before advancing to the next, backtracking on occasion and using one room's key to unlock another. Here, though, the focus is back on horror, not action. What does this mean?

I imagine there will still be puzzles, probably moreso than RE4/RE5. Perhaps we'll be inspecting items, looking for the right key to the right door. And, for the most part, a trip down any given hallway will be uneventful, though it'll always feel like something could happen, due to sound effects and shifting shadows and a harmless dead body slouching over or a scurrying rat here and there. And perhaps the illusion of said threat could be maintained by the occasional spawning of The Monster around a blind corner, its AI then doggedly pursuing you through the network of corridors composing the ship (and, perhaps, wherever the ship arrives, which judging from the waters and the title's font color could be somewhere snowy and cold, but I digress).

Maybe shooting The Monster just right will slow and impede the beast, and in time kill it, but ammo is scarce. Maybe there are tricks and traps you can exploit to foil the monster, such as the drums of nitrogen you used to freeze Verdugo in RE4. Maybe fleeing it and running far enough away and/or hiding until it passes could shake it off your trail. And in time the threat subsides, and you can resume searching for the key or door... Maybe at points you'll encounter epic boss creatures, and here is where your limited resources will be most useful. I'd love to see some Godzilla-sized monsters in 3D.

All I know is I can't wait to find out more. :)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Scalemail Ted said:
They need to port REmake in 3d.
I agree. They could also change the terrible controls into something bearable. Maybe use the RE4 camera. Maybe update the character designs. Also, they could change the setting to something Capcom seems to love recycling nearly as much as the Spencer Mansion... like a boat.
Now that would be awesome.

EDIT:
Vic said:
Covered that already at the post #325.
Well, not really :D

Also, we don't know:
1. how many people are working on the port, what's their deadline
2. how much work is effectively needed to downport the game and how much MTF helps in that
3. how advanced is the 3DS SDK, especially for Tag mode and online (if planned)
4. how much stuff they're adding, how many of those features will be cut to release the game in time :)p)

It's not unreasonable to expect such a game to have a pretty short development cycle.

Vic

Jocchan said:
Huh? Of course. Why are you asking?
Not a single stage was animated in any way and a lot of stuff was missing; Rufus's stage being the most obvious example. I'm certain that the bg will be a good representative of the other versions just like the characters, once Capcom starts to put some work on them...

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Vic said:
Not a single background was animated in any way or a lot of stuff was missing. Rufus's stages was the most obvious example. I'm certain that the bg will be a good representative of the other versions just like the characters, once Capcom starts to work on them...
Honestly, it's hard to say.
Maybe they were rougher because the game is early and they will get improved later, maybe they were to keep the polygon count low and won't change much (if not at all).
We can't know for sure. But, if andriasang's list is to be trusted (and I don't see why not), the latter option seems more likely to me.
About the percentage: yeah, they're mostly bullshit numbers, but even if 10% was absolutely correct it wouldn't still prove much. The game could still be just a quick downport with a short development cycle, and still make it in time for next Spring. It depends entirely on Capcom.

-Winnie-

Sectus said:
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/4083/69628332.jpg - I asked a Japanese friend and I finally got this translated.

The mysterious fifth option (the virtual analog stick on the touch screen) is simply "camera control". So I guess the controls actually completely mimic the controls from 360 and PS3, with the only exception that the second analog stick is virtual.

I hope it's comfortable to play like that because it seems like it could be a decent solution.

ILikeFeet

Banned
I won't lie, this game seems to defeat the portable angle. of course you can play it in your bed, with all the lights off, under the covers.

Luigiv

Neiteio said:
Regarding the blood splatter... It looks GREAT. I don't see what people are upset about. First of all, under normal conditions -- i.e. not watching a stuttering GIF -- you'll round the corner and see the window at the end of the hall and watch as the club-armed beastie throttles the poor sap and throws him -- in threeeeee-deeeeeeeee -- at the window, resulting in the lickity-split gore-slick we all know and love. All you'll be thinking at that point is, That thing is fierce! And then when it comes shambling through the door, I need to get out of here!
I have yet to complain about the blood splatter myself (can't really say something so minor from such an early build was worth complaining about) but honestly it looks terrible. I noticed it from the first time I watched the trailer. The guy hits the window, then nothing for a few frames and then in a single frame the splatter is all over the window. Its just poorly executed and can be easily seen for the cheap pop-in effect that it is. It needs more frames of animation.

Whilst It doesn't really bother me much and I'll have no trouble living with it, I just can't defend something so obviously poorly done.

Jocchan said:

Final Fantasy XIII was something like 10% done for around 2 years...

no, wait, that sounds about correct actually.

Top Bottom