• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Resident Evil Revelations Screenshots And Footage [And Gifs]

Davey Cakes

The "hair clipping" discussion reminds me of how much I hated it when Link's cap would clip into his shield in Twilight Princess.

Celine

Rash said:
The "hair clipping" discussion reminds me of how much I hated it when Link's cap would clip into his shield in Twilight Princess.
6F57l.gif

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I will not deal with it motherfucker I will complain!!!! :lol

Massive clipping on the main character... especially when it's right in your face is kind of wtf-worthy. That Link example mentioned above is spot on. I notice that stuff straightaway... and cannot look away.

I'm not a pixel counter and things like framerate and tearing only bother me when they're super bad, but clipping is like bright, flashing neon lights.

I should add though, that the game looks cool as shit otherwise. Even with tank controls.

wrowa

I'm feeling glad that I neither care about the hair-clipping nor about the blood. Live is much simpler that way.

wrowa said:
I'm feeling glad that I neither care about the hair-clipping nor about the blood. Live is much simpler that way.

This.
Seems that being a graphics "whore" (I'm not implying that people in this thread care only about graphics, it's just that there's no better description) is too much of a burden.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Foxtastical said:
Haha, hair clipping. Christ.
The hair is not clipping into her neck when she runs. It's flowing in back of her. The only clipping is when she does a quick turn a tiny bit of the pony tail clips into the shoulder blade. That's it.

Sectus

ILikeFeet said:
the problem is the way it pops up. it's too instantanious
Just look at it realistically. You're playing the game... you see that effect suddenly and unexpectedly and really fast, and never ever happens again. It's just one small scripted event. I don't think Capcom planned for the effect to look great in an everlooping gif.

Sectus said:
Just look at it realistically. You're playing the game... you see that effect suddenly and unexpectedly and really fast, and never ever happens again. It's just one small scripted event. I don't think Capcom planned for the effect to look great in an everlooping gif.
Then they were wrong. They knew gifs would be made, and they're paying the consequences!

BOYCOTT

ILikeFeet

Banned
Sectus said:

it will never happen again, but the one moment will traumatize me forever. the blood pop-in. so bad. can't unsee!

Supervlieg said:
looks great. Cant see why others cant use shaders like capcom can.

Because other third parties didn't design an incredibly versatile engine a few years back in preparation for PS3/360. Their loss.

ILikeFeet

Banned
Always-honest said:
holy shit... is this 3DS?... that's looks incredible..

yep. it's amazing. Konami and Bamco needs to step their game up. though Kojima's studio and Hudson are putting our great looking games

Takuan

re47hxj.jpg

I just dislike this shot. Otherwise, it looks reasonably good for a handheld. I wonder how much more it would've cost for GC-level hardware to be put in there?

Rezbit

Looks really good, even though Jill appears to be cross-eyed. I don't expect this to be a launch title, so it should look like the absolute hotness when it comes out.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Shaheed79 said:
The hair is not clipping into her neck when she runs. It's flowing in back of her. The only clipping is when she does a quick turn a tiny bit of the pony tail clips into the shoulder blade. That's it.

You're blind.

Schrade

Sagitario said:
How do you guys make these GIFs so smooth?
I use Avidemux to cut out the piece of a video I want to GIF. Then I load that into JASC Animation Shop 3 and that's what I use to make the animated GIF.

Takuan said:
http://h-3.abload.de/img/re47hxj.jpg[img]
I just dislike this shot. Otherwise, it looks reasonably good for a handheld. [B]I wonder how much more it would've cost for GC-level hardware[/B] to be put in there?[/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3131/2313356652_f2b27826c4.jpg

ILikeFeet

Banned
Takuan said:
http://h-3.abload.de/img/re47hxj.jpg[/ig]
I just dislike this shot. Otherwise, it looks reasonably good for a handheld. I wonder how much more it would've cost for GC-level hardware to be put in there?[/QUOTE]

shaders!

Rich!

Takuan said:
re47hxj.jpg

I just dislike this shot. Otherwise, it looks reasonably good for a handheld. I wonder how much more it would've cost for GC-level hardware to be put in there?

IT IS GC LEVEL HARDWARE!!!

Holy shit, where do these guys come from?! :lol

daakusedo

For me, the problem is the blood itself, kind of pizza style.
The game in general looks great but a recurrent element like that can be troublesome.

VAIL

daakusedo said:
The game in general looks great but a recurrent element like that can be troublesome.

It might be something that looks better in 3D and does translate the same on the 2D plane.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
richisawesome said:
IT IS GC LEVEL HARDWARE!!!

Holy shit, where do these guys come from?! :lol

How the hell do you define 'GCN level hardware' though? Or any hardware for that matter?

This is the problem with trying to compare platforms; you cant just say 'A hardware is better than B hardware' when the specifications are so close.

For example, from what we know, on the shader front the 3DS isn't GameCube level of hardware, its not even Wii hardware, instead it exceeds both of these. It seems to be pushing modern shaders easier than any Nintendo platform to date.

On the other hand, the texturing quality is obviously below the Wii and the GameCube. I would also argue that there is no game shown so far, including Resident Evil, that pushes a triangle count matching the GameCube or the Wii.

I doubt you will ever see a 3DS game coming close to the triangle count of the GCN's best, like Rogue Leader, nor will you see any games with the kind of texture clarity of the best GCN/Wii games. Yet despite this, you're already seeing games pushing more shaders.

It's not so black and white.

antonz

VAIL said:
It might be something that looks better in 3D and does translate the same on the 2D plane.

I do suspect the blood effect is intended to be viewed in 3D so you get an in your face style splash

.la1n

Seems odd Capcom would have chose the 3DS for resident evil revelations especially seeing as how Nintendo's third party practices haven't changed it seems (although Capcom may be a special exception what do I know.)

Either way, impressive for a handheld and definetly puts the first party nintendo games at this point to shame. Going to take alot more than that and MGS remakes to push that price tag though imo.

of course im well aware alot of GAF bought a PS3 at 599.99 US DOLLERS

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
daakusedo said:
I don't know, it looks like a one-time effect used in a scene meant to strike you with a sudden blood splatter you're not expecting. I think you people are overanalyzing it.

Instro

Well the game is a long ways off, the blood spatter we saw could be a place holder effect. The way it just pops up like that is a bit odd, but not something I care about.

antonz

.la1n said:
Seems odd Capcom would have chose the 3DS for resident evil revelations especially seeing as how Nintendo's third party practices haven't changed it seems (although Capcom may be a special exception what do I know.)

Either way, impressive for a handheld and definetly puts the first party nintendo games at this point to shame. Going to take alot more than that and MGS remakes to push that price tag though imo.

I think for the larger publishers issueshighlighted in the other thread arent as important especially with major franchises. Most studios are approaching the 3DS as is expected. They are coming out with guns blazing and making sure they build their following.

The 3DS and rightfully so is being approached as the successor the the most successful handheld. That much like the PS2 and even PS3 in a way meanss upport is gonna be stellar due to preaccepted dominance.

Wait, guys, are we sure her ponytail is moving the exact right way and at the right speed relative to the direction and trajectory of her strides and collarbone vibration????

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
EatChildren said:
I would also argue that there is no game shown so far, including Resident Evil, that pushes a triangle count matching the GameCube or the Wii.

I doubt you will ever see a 3DS game coming close to the triangle count of the GCN's best, like Rogue Leader, nor will you see any games with the kind of texture clarity of the best GCN/Wii games. Yet despite this, you're already seeing games pushing more shaders.

It's not so black and white.
So again, Kojima lied about his high level models?

Can't wait until the hardware is out and this is finally put to bed honestly.

ILikeFeet

Banned
.la1n said:

actually, the whole third party thing is one of the main points about the 3DS. it was given so much power because Nintendo didn't want developers to say "Nintendo hardware isn't good enough to run our games." and they want to increase the sales of third party games

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
jj984jj said:
So again, Kojima lied about his high level models?

Can't wait until the hardware is out and this is finally put to bed honestly.

I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about. The MGS 3DS demo was 100% in-engine running on the system, but it wasn't 'gameplay'. I'm hoping the final game, once AI and all that jazz is taken into account, looks just as good.

But also, like Metal Gear Solid on the PS2, and like pretty much every well optimised games, characters will be presented with additional graphical detail whenever in cutscenes thanks to free system resources.

TheGreatMightyPoo said:
Wait, guys, are we sure her ponytail is moving the exact right way and at the right speed relative to the direction and trajectory of her strides and collarbone vibration????

Capcom just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about ponytails (I'm an expert), but speed and trajectory are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can just license Havok and it should probably kinda work. If you screw up ponytail physics in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is by fixing dat shit, and by repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase RE: Revelations, nor will they purchase any more of Capcom's games featuring ponytails. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Capcom has alienated an entire market with this move.

Capcom, publicly apologize and get those ponytail physics right or you can kiss your business goodbye.

Top Bottom