• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

Jez_0

Neo Member
Hey guys. I'm looking at upgrading my TV and was just wondering if anyone could give me any advice. It's mainly for gaming, but I do like 3d as well (movies).

I'm thinking either the Samsung 65KS9500 (KS9800 in USA) because it's backlit rather than edge and the last time I had a Samsung 65 inch edge lit it had really bad banding. So hopefully a backlit one will reduce this.

Or the LG 55E6, the LG looks awesome and is said to have the best 3d ever put into a TV, but the gaming side worries me a little. I know that there are currently some issues with HDR game mode and I do like to play extended sessions so retention is a bit of a worry.

If I went with the Sammy it doesn't have 3d but my current TV does, so I would have to keep it around for the 3d.

Or I could wait for the 2018 sets in the hope that some of them added 3d back in.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these sets ?

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
I just made the 4K plunge. I'm getting an XOX in the fall but i'm looking for a solid streaming service now. I watched Spectre last night via Amazon UHD and while it was nice looking, it looked worse than the 4k videos that the Roku Youtube page pointed to.

Am I doing something wrong? Does Amazon Prime UHD suck?

MWake

Neo Member
I just made the 4K plunge. I'm getting an XOX in the fall but i'm looking for a solid streaming service now. I watched Spectre last night via Amazon UHD and while it was nice looking, it looked worse than the 4k videos that the Roku Youtube page pointed to.

Does your set support HDR as well? If so check out some of the Amazon original shows. Spectre did not wow me either.

e90Mark

Check out The Grand Tour if your set is 4K and HDR.

blakdeth

The B6 HDR Game mode was always slightly dimmer than Standard mode (except for US models where the very first version of HDR Game was a bit brighter but suffered from screen tearing). Thus downgrading the firmware won't help you. If you find HDR Game mode too dark try fiddling with dynamic contrast and ingame brightness controls.

The things you've been reading about on AVSForums concern the other OLED models (the C/E/G series). These models recently received a firmware upgrade that significantly decreased the overall brightness of HDR Game mode. It might be a good idea to disable automatic updates on your B6 in case LG plans to also bring this dim HDR Game mode to the B6.

Thank you for the clarification.

Does anyone know if the B7 has the same (dark-ish) HDR game mode? My B6 is only three months old, and I am so tempted to sell it for a B7 (assuming the B7 doesn't have this issue), but I don't know if I can justify the expense. I mean, would it be that much different that the cost of selling the 2016 model and buying a new 2017 model would be worth it? My gut says no, but my obsessive personality won't let it go.

Marmelade

Interesting gaming video comparison between the Philips POS9002 OLED using its very good motion interpolation implementation ("Natural Motion") compared to the LG B7 in game mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eYH_me14pg

I don't speak german so no idea what the guy's saying but for people who aren't too bothered by higher input lags it looks pretty good.
55ms with interpolation is pretty decent all things considered

tmdorsey

Is Spectre even available in UHD on Amazon? Are you sure it wasn't streaming in just HD?

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Does your set support HDR as well? If so check out some of the Amazon original shows. Spectre did not wow me either.

Well here's the thing, is it possible that Tv's can have HDR upgraded via firmware?(I know consoles can) I ask because I know some one who has the exact same TV as me and the box his TV came in does not mention HDR. My TV, same model but my TV clearly says 4K/HDR on the side and the website says, HDR10. I had 2 out the box firmware updates once I connected online.

MY Tv

I know there is something about true HDR vs Bunk HDR but I'm not there yet. The Youtube videos I've seen are absolutely stunning and Spectre was just good.

Ashhong

Guys, please help me decide!

With the appearance of that Sony 55" X900E Dell deal, I've calculated my cost for that TV to only be 750$ after tax, which is only $100 more than the TCL P605 I was looking at.

So my real dilemma is, should I go for that TV now or should I wait for the next model that has Dolby Vision, HDR10+, etc? I am not in a real hurry for a TV. I don't have anything 4k. I'm only looking because my current plasma has a few dead pixels all of a sudden. Is it worth waiting? Or is the price cheap enough that I should jump in?

MNC

Hnngh just went to the store and they mentioned the B6 won't be restocked there. It's all B7 and C7 now. Difference between B7/C7 would be the stand. I don't know man, is the B7 worth the extra bucks over the B6 or should I hunt down a B6. Someone make a decision for me lol

Hnngh just went to the store and they mentioned the B6 won't be restocked there. It's all B7 and C7 now. Difference between B7/C7 would be the stand. I don't know man, is the B7 worth the extra bucks over the B6 or should I hunt down a B6. Someone make a decision for me lol

That's a question that doesn't really have an answer without the context of the price difference.

Severianb

With HDMI 2.1 coming out in the next year or two, bringing with it improved HDR and variable frame rates, I don't see the point of replacing my 1080p sets.

I mean, HDR and OLED are in their infancy and will get much better in the near future.

I personally don't care that much about 4K, my projector is the only screen that is big enough to take real advantage of that resolution and those projectors are nowhere close to being mainstream in price or adequate in performance.

HDR/wide color gamut and VFR are what truly impress me and HDMI 2.1 will bring that.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Well here's the thing, is it possible that Tv's can have HDR upgraded via firmware?(I know consoles can) I ask because I know some one who has the exact same TV as me and the box his TV came in does not mention HDR. My TV, same model but my TV clearly says 4K/HDR on the side and the website says, HDR10. I had 2 out the box firmware updates once I connected online.

MY Tv

I know there is something about true HDR vs Bunk HDR but I'm not there yet. The Youtube videos I've seen are absolutely stunning and Spectre was just good.

When watching Spectre, do you remember it triggering HDR? I can't check right now, but I'm wondering if it's 4K and not HDR.

Youtube HDR demos are nice but they are essentially tech demos trying to sell the product. They are the same ones they have on repeat on tvs in show room floors. Spectre isn't in HDR just 4K. Amazon is dumb and doesn't label them (at least not in the Roku app).

Amazon's UHD label can mean: 4k, 4k+hdr10, or 4k+dv (bosch is the only one that i know of right now)

Youtube HDR demos are nice but they are essentially tech demos trying to sell the product. They are the same ones they have on repeat on tvs in show room floors. Spectre isn't in HDR just 4K. Amazon is dumb and doesn't label them (at least not in the Roku app).

Amazon's UHD label can mean: 4k, 4k+hdr10, or 4k+dv (bosch is the only one that i know of right now)

Oh shit Bosch is DV??

Didn't know that AZ had anything in DV yet, I literally thought it was only Netflix.

That's good. More DV content is going to push more desire for DV updates from Nvidia and Roku so I can finally get a streaming box and hang up the LG TV Apps

RedAssedApe

Banned
Oh shit Bosch is DV??

Didn't know that AZ had anything in DV yet, I literally thought it was only Netflix.

That's good. More DV content is going to push more desire for DV updates from Nvidia and Roku so I can finally get a streaming box and hang up the LG TV Apps

Apparently only if you have a LG TV though lol

BumRush

Oh shit Bosch is DV??

Oh shit, is there no streaming box that does DV yet?

Oh shit, is there no streaming box that does DV yet?

Unless I missed something in the last month, don't think so.

Likely candidates would be the NV shield or whatever that top tier Roku is (Ultra?), but none have gotten fw updates yet afaik.

Goes back to the discussion on the last page about DV and licensing. Those are not expensive boxes, and again i'm not in the industry or anything so i can only speculate, but if Dolby wants to charge them $X per unit to push out an update so they support that format, if i'm running that business, I sure as hell better have boat loads of customers demanding the functionality, otherwise it makes zero business sense to do it.

And maybe it isn't per unit, but some big one time licensing fee for existing units or something. Either way, nothing's free. If there's more DV content, more people will want the functionality in the boxes, so here's hoping.

DKF590

Guys, please help me decide!

With the appearance of that Sony 55" X900E Dell deal, I've calculated my cost for that TV to only be 750$ after tax, which is only $100 more than the TCL P605 I was looking at.

So my real dilemma is, should I go for that TV now or should I wait for the next model that has Dolby Vision, HDR10+, etc? I am not in a real hurry for a TV. I don't have anything 4k. I'm only looking because my current plasma has a few dead pixels all of a sudden. Is it worth waiting? Or is the price cheap enough that I should jump in?

I would absolutely go for the X900e over the the TCL at that price difference. Much better TV overall.

Even without any native 4k devices you will still have access to all the built-in 4k streaming apps. Up to you if it's worth waiting, but the X900e is an amazing TV. Especially at that price.

ToD_

I currently have a Pioneer Kuro (KRP500M, last plasma panel Pioneer made), which has served me well for 8 years. With OLEDs dropping in price the upgrade itch is starting to become very real.

I am really on the fence here, however. The Kuro is 50" and I'm leaning towards getting a 55" LG B7A. I would go larger but for the sake of the living room aesthetics and my girlfriend's wishes I think I'll stick with 55". With the small size increase and a viewing distance of about 10-12ft, I'm not sure if 4K is even going to be a big deal. The black levels produced by the Kuro are already good as well, so that upgrade isn't going to be substantial either.

Has anyone upgraded from one of the later plasma models to an OLED? What is your experience? I am little concerned about losing the motion resolution of the plasma, but am looking forward to checking out HDR, the low latency of the 2017 LG OLEDs and other perks newer TVs may offer.

I just upgraded from my 2 year old EG9100 to a C6 OLED. Had to get a C6 while I still could for the 3D. I'll say this now; if 3D even slightly interests you, get a C6 or E6 while you still can. They're arguably the best 3D TVs ever crafted. I think if the tech started off this good it would have really taken off. I just can't emphasize enough how fucking good it looks.

Anyways, spent a few hours last night calibrating with my AVS HD 709 disc. My 2 big gripes with my old EG9100 (judder and banding) are greatly improved on this set. I can just turn trumotion off completely and it beats out my custom settings on the EG9100 that took me ages to fine tune. Banding is almost non-existent; got really lucky with this panel. Have to go down to 5% to barely see a single band on the right side of the screen, and down to 0% near black it's more prominent with a couple other bands barely creeping in. I have yet to see them in any content. Very happy so far.

After demoing some BRs and 4k streaming content I feel confident that I have those settings dialed in to my liking. For gaming, I don't know what to with the gamma setting. I target 2.2 for BRs and streaming content, but in game mode there's just Low, Medium, High 1 and High 2. Default is medium which is where I left it. Haven't tested much gaming content yet, just a little Doom on Xbox for input lag (which is excellent btw). Is there a "correct" setting for gaming or is it a preference thing?

ApharmdX

Banned
I currently have a Pioneer Kuro (KRP500M, last plasma panel Pioneer made), which has served me well for 8 years. With OLEDs dropping in price the upgrade itch is starting to become very real.

I am really on the fence here, however. The Kuro is 50" and I'm leaning towards getting a 55" LG B7A. I would go larger but for the sake of the living room aesthetics and my girlfriend's wishes I think I'll stick with 55". With the small size increase and a viewing distance of about 10-12ft, I'm not sure if 4K is even going to be a big deal. The black levels produced by the Kuro are already good as well, so that upgrade isn't going to be substantial either.

Has anyone upgraded from one of the later plasma models to an OLED? What is your experience? I am little concerned about losing the motion resolution of the plasma, but am looking forward to checking out HDR, the low latency of the 2017 LG OLEDs and other perks newer TVs may offer.

I had a 500M before getting my current 65" B7. Expect the upgrade to be incremental rather than generational and you won't be disappointed. Even today, for 1080p sources, the Kuro delivers a beautiful picture and has superior motion and uniformity compared to OLED. The biggest leap for me was the size and HDR brightness. Well-done HDR is amazing. Also, the OLED has a bit less input lag for gaming.

The thing is, there's not really another worthy upgrade to the later plasmas outside of OLED. LCD still doesn't deliver competitive black level performance. So you have two choices here in the US- the Sony A1E and the LG OLEDs. Can't go wrong with either.

BumRush

Unless I missed something in the last month, don't think so.

Likely candidates would be the NV shield or whatever that top tier Roku is (Ultra?), but none have gotten fw updates yet afaik.

Goes back to the discussion on the last page about DV and licensing. Those are not expensive boxes, and again i'm not in the industry or anything so i can only speculate, but if Dolby wants to charge them $X per unit to push out an update so they support that format, if i'm running that business, I sure as hell better have boat loads of customers demanding the functionality, otherwise it makes zero business sense to do it.

And maybe it isn't per unit, but some big one time licensing fee for existing units or something. Either way, nothing's free. If there's more DV content, more people will want the functionality in the boxes, so here's hoping.

Not really a streaming box, but the only one is Chromecast Ultra currently.

Roku Premium+ and Nvidia shield are HDR10.

Rumors point to the next gen Apple TV be DV capable.

Good to know. Thanks guys.

ToD_

I had a 500M before getting my current 65" B7. Expect the upgrade to be incremental rather than generational and you won't be disappointed. Even today, for 1080p sources, the Kuro delivers a beautiful picture and has superior motion and uniformity compared to OLED. The biggest leap for me was the size and HDR brightness. Well-done HDR is amazing. Also, the OLED has a bit less input lag for gaming.

The thing is, there's not really another worthy upgrade to the later plasmas outside of OLED. LCD still doesn't deliver competitive black level performance. So you have two choices here in the US- the Sony A1E and the LG OLEDs. Can't go wrong with either.

It is certainly good that plasma owners finally have an upgrade path without sacrificing black level performance. That said, it is a little disappointing OLEDs aren't quite up to par when it comes to motion resolution and uniformity. There just isn't a whole lot to look forward to outside of HDR, since I'm not getting a much larger screen.

I think I will still hold off for a while. Thank you for the information.

Not really a streaming box, but the only one is Chromecast Ultra currently.

Roku Premium+ and Nvidia shield are HDR10.

Rumors point to the next gen Apple TV be DV capable.

Ahhh, great call. Totally forgot about that one.

Trying to remember why it wasn't on my mental list....

Does it do Atmos? Maybe that's why I didn't remember it. I think it supports Atmos, but the specific version of the Netflix app on Chromecast does not support Atmos

i moved from a 55ST60 to the C7. Zero complaints on motion handling and mine is probably 75% for gaming use.

Ashhong

I'm coming from a Panasonic S1 and hoping LED is a good enough upgrade. When people praise the black levels of a Kuro and such, is the black as good as OLED? My black levels are pretty grey/washed out looking. I love the overall picture quality, but when I watch at night it's nothing compared to what I imagine OLED to be..

I'm coming from a Panasonic S1 and hoping LED is a good enough upgrade. When people praise the black levels of a Kuro and such, is the black as good as OLED? My black levels are pretty grey/washed out looking. I love the overall picture quality, but when I watch at night it's nothing compared to what I imagine OLED to be..

Kuro blacks were damn close. Not quite, but damn close.

Ashhong

Kuro blacks were damn close. Not quite, but damn close.

Even at night? Damn.

So after being ready to pull the trigger on the Sony X900E, I see the 55" LG B7A available for 1100. Dammit...now what do I do....

Are there any negatives to OLED technology right now? Or is it all pretty advanced enough that there's not much issues?

Even at night? Damn.

So after being ready to pull the trigger on the Sony X900E, I see the 55" LG B7A available for 1100. Dammit...now what do I do....

Are there any negatives to OLED technology right now? Or is it all pretty advanced enough that there's not much issues?

Near black isn't perfect and you're more likely than not to get panel that has banding issues, although they aren't very notceable in much other than 5-10% gray slides (you can google that for more info).

There's also further debate about "sample and hold" and various other techniques that have pros and cons, which you can research if you're interested, but at the end of the day, I'm pretty happy with my C7.

Worth noting that there's stuff coming next year with HDMI 2.1 and everyone can make their own decision about whether that's worth waiting for.

E: Didn't answer your initial question. Yes, even at night. I spent a ton of time around the 101FD and 151FD, right as they were being discontinued. They should go in some sort of TV history museum somewhere as landmark accomplishments in image reproduction (maybe a bit hyperbolic, but still)

I'm sure Paragon and Theonik will drop by sooner or later and can give you their take as well.

e90Mark

Ahhh, great call. Totally forgot about that one.

Trying to remember why it wasn't on my mental list....

Does it do Atmos? Maybe that's why I didn't remember it. I think it supports Atmos, but the specific version of the Netflix app on Chromecast does not support Atmos

Yeah, not sure about Atmos. Dunno if the cast-able apps support it yet, but I'd think the hardware would be capable of passing Atmos along.

Ashhong

Near black isn't perfect and you're more likely than not to get panel that has banding issues, although they aren't very notceable in much other than 5-10% gray slides (you can google that for more info).

There's also further debate about "sample and hold" and various other techniques that have pros and cons, which you can research if you're interested, but at the end of the day, I'm pretty happy with my C7.

Worth noting that there's stuff coming next year with HDMI 2.1 and everyone can make their own decision about whether that's worth waiting for.

E: Didn't answer your initial question. Yes, even at night. I spent a ton of time around the 101FD and 151FD, right as they were being discontinued. They should go in some sort of TV history museum somewhere as landmark accomplishments in image reproduction (maybe a bit hyperbolic, but still)

I'm sure Paragon and Theonik will drop by sooner or later and can give you their take as well.

Awesome thanks for the info. I'll have to read up on that stuff, especially HDMI 2.1. I think if I buy a tv, the extra 300$ for the OLED should be well worth it. Correct me if I'm wrong but I should see a much better picture quality on the OLED with 1080p content than an LED, just because of the blacks alone.

ToD_

Even at night? Damn.

Yep, the Kuro's (later ones at least) have amazing black level performance. Going from a an older Pioneer plasma to the Kuro was one of the biggest jumps in image quality I have seen. The older plasma looked washed out, whereas you need an extremely dark room to even pick up any grey on the Kuro.

Where can the B7A be found for 1100? I saw it for 1549 at Buydig (you have to call) and thought that was an amazing deal already from an authorized seller. They also have the C7 for $1699. If I end up making the jump I think I will go for the C7 simply because of the black bezel.

Awesome thanks for the info. I'll have to read up on that stuff, especially HDMI 2.1. I think if I buy a tv, the extra 300$ for the OLED should be well worth it. Correct me if I'm wrong but I should see a much better picture quality on the OLED with 1080p content than an LED, just because of the blacks alone.

The blacks will be darker than an LED, absolutely. Some high end LEDs are still really great too, just no where near the prices you're discussing. (like the Sony Z9D)

Others can jump in about color reproduction and ability to convert a 1080p signal to a quality 4K image, but I've been happy with mine.

Nothing will serve you better than going to see all the sets you're interested in, at a store, side by side. And in a realistic lighting environment if at all possible.

Everyone here can tell you about what you shouldsee and what shouldlook better, but none of that will be more convincing than what your own eyes see =)

TheBoss1

Even at night? Damn.

Damn where?

e90Mark

Yeah I'm almost positive that it is. I think i've read about guys streaming rips of UHD movies and the Atmos works.

Speaking of Netflix and Atmos though.. I'm hoping Netflix adds support to more devices in the near future.

I don't have an Xbox anymore, nor a 2017 OLED. With that, really hope the Shield gets a DV update. I think the handful of Netflix Atmos titles are also DV.

Ashhong

Yep, the Kuro's (later ones at least) have amazing black level performance. Going from a an older Pioneer plasma to the Kuro was one of the biggest jumps in image quality I have seen. The older plasma looked washed out, whereas you need an extremely dark room to even pick up any grey on the Kuro.

Where can the B7A be found for 1100? I saw it for 1549 at Buydig (you have to call) and thought that was an amazing deal already from an authorized seller. They also have the C7 for $1699. If I end up making the jump I think I will go for the C7 simply because of the black bezel.

Use a CC price match option to match it to here for 1055

http://www.ebuyusa.com/prodinfo.phtml?id=3321&ref=google&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse

I've been wanting to do that but the price match max is 500, and most stores have the TV for $2000. Now that Buydig has it for 1500, it can be price matched to that, and no tax outside of NJ!

The blacks will be darker than an LED, absolutely. Some high end LEDs are still really great too, just no where near the prices you're discussing. (like the Sony Z9D)

Others can jump in about color reproduction and ability to convert a 1080p signal to a quality 4K image, but I've been happy with mine.

Nothing will serve you better than going to see all the sets you're interested in, at a store, side by side. And in a realistic lighting environment if at all possible.

Everyone here can tell you about what you shouldsee and what shouldlook better, but none of that will be more convincing than what your own eyes see =)

Thanks again. I'll try to check it out but I can only see them at like Costco or BestBuy, not very realistic lighting. The impulse buyer in me is ready to buy this damn OLED though LOL

Thanks again. I'll try to check it out but I can only see them at like Costco or BestBuy, not very realistic lighting. The impulse buyer in me is ready to buy this damn OLED though LOL

Best Buy should have C7s possibly in a better lighting environment if they have a Magnolia section and it's the same panel so no PQ differences.

Even at night? Damn.

Where are you seeing the 55" B7A for $1,1000? Have a friend looking for a new set.

e90Mark

That deal is actually insane. I got my C6 Q1 this year for just about the same amount, with the same tactics.
CC Price protection makes it very easy.

Don't regret having the 3D capability though.

Ashhong

That deal is actually insane. I got my C6 Q1 this year for just about the same amount, with the same tactics.
CC Price protection makes it very easy.

Don't regret having the 3D capability though.

Yea fuck it, I'm buying it right now. The OLED should be more than good enough for a long time. I don't need 8K support with HDMI 2.1 for years

killbox

Just thought I'd chime in....

I just upgraded from a Sony XBR8 55 inch to a LG C7 65.

Pros for me are the Black levels, viewing angle, and lower input lag (the sony had 85 ms in game mode)

Cons though, high gloss vs matte finish on the screen (makes for some mean reflections)

Suprises for me , the HDMI control stuff that allows a device to turn on the amp and the tv is super nice. works real well with an apple tv, just hit the apple remote and everything powers up.

Getting audio to go from the tv back to the amp via the hdmi cable. I didn't even know that was a thing. Needed for running netflix on the tv (for 4k) but wanting to hear 5.1 from the amp.

I thought the 10 inch increase in size would wow me, It's really not that noticable (the LG tv is actually slightly smaller than the Sony even with the larger screen)

Top Bottom