• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Television Displays and Technology Thread: This is a fantasy based on OLED

TCL 605

That picture was with Backlight maxed.

Here's another

https://imgur.com/igwPEcu

(Screen looks cloudier and lighter than in person).

TV brightness: darker
Picture mode: movie
Local contrast: off
Dynamic contrast: off
Backlight 0
Brightness 50
Contrast 100
Sharpness 0
color 45
Gamma 2.2
Noise Reduction: off

Well I wouldn't accept in any way this panel. There are limits inherent lcd technology but without doubt there are better examples out there.

I luckily abandoned lcd years ago when I went the plasma route (and now Oled which is a game changer), unfortunately these days low end sets are often mediocre at best.

Greenymac

Ok guys, I have decided pretty much on the 55 inch Sony x900e. Before I pull the trigger are there any other TVs in that $1000-$1500 range I should also check out? I'm just trying to be as thorough as possible in my decision. Thanks in advance for the opinions.

This is very strange but lately i've been playing Borderlands 2 THC a whole lot and i've been noticing weird black spots on my 65B6 when i open Xbox One settings screen where it's partly grey. To instantly remove these spots i just have to press the gear icon on my remote and it's gone......

It seems those black spots are from the HUD elements, i'm glad as hell these don't produce IR, but those spots that are gone as soon as i press the remote's settings button is odd as hell.

DieH@rd

Banned
You any idea what tv's this is compatible with?

Would consider going Radeon if it worked with my B6

It's panel lottery, but according to some impressions the newer the model of TV the higher the chance that it will be able to handle variable refresh.

Anyone here can try it. Just download CRU v1.3, click on the extension block>EDIT>ADD>Freesync, and then pick your variable refresh range. Close the app, and reset the display driver using "restart64" option. After that, Radeon Settings will detect that Freesync is active.

The best way to test if the range is working is using Freesync demo app [it offers easy exit to the desktop by simply pressing ESC].

If all goes well, I will be able to test this on 49XE9005 [49X900E] next week, or the week after that.

Ok guys, I have decided pretty much on the 55 inch Sony x900e. Before I pull the trigger are there any other TVs in that $1000-$1500 range I should also check out? I'm just trying to be as thorough as possible in my decision. Thanks in advance for the opinions.
The only one I can think off is X930E/LG OLEDs that are on a heavy discount. :) Or that 55" Pseries from TLC that has Dolby Vision.

Or, you can go on neverending bandwagon of "wait and see what will come out next". IFA is just a few days away, there will be new models announced there most likely.

Jigolo

B7/C7 in 3 months will likely be in your price range

Greenymac

B7/C7 in 3 months will likely be in your price range

I've decided against the OLED models (personal preference) so that's not really a big factor for me. I plan on snagging the TV most likely before next Saturday as I'd love to watch my Georgia Bulldogs on a new TV. Im going from a Samsung 55 LED which is only a couple years old, but itching to make the switch to 4k HDR with a proper display.

dsk1210

It's panel lottery, but according to some impressions the newer the model of TV the higher the chance that it will be able to handle variable refresh.

Anyone here can try it. Just download CRU v1.3, click on the extension block>EDIT>ADD>Freesync, and then pick your variable refresh range. Close the app, and reset the display driver using "restart64" option. After that, Radeon Settings will detect that Freesync is active.

The best way to test if the range is working is using Freesync demo app [it offers easy exit to the desktop by simply pressing ESC].

If all goes well, I will be able to test this on 49XE9005 [49X900E] next week, or the week after that.

The only one I can think off is X930E/LG OLEDs that are on a heavy discount. :) Or that 55" Pseries from TLC that has Dolby Vision.

Or, you can go on neverending bandwagon of "wait and see what will come out next". IFA is just a few days away, there will be new models announced there most likely.

It's weird man, I thought people would ha e been really excited at the prospect of freesync working on Tv's that are out now but I can't find anybody talking about this and I don't have an an AMD card.

Well I wouldn't accept in any way this panel. There are limits inherent lcd technology but without doubt there are better examples out there.

I luckily abandoned lcd years ago when I went the plasma route (and now Oled which is a game changer), unfortunately these days low end sets are often mediocre at best.

Yeah my concern is I keep replacing and finding something else wrong. (Pixels, more clouding, etc).

I mean, this is my budget for now so I may have no choice but to accept it for now.

Panasonic VIERA TC-P50GT25. The options aren't massive, probably more in line with your ST30.

I can post the settings tonight if you'd like (although all rooms are slightly different). Just let me know and I'll give it a shot.

Yeah if you could, I'd like to compare it with my current settings. Thanks

Stiler

TCL 605

That picture was with Backlight maxed.

Here's another

https://imgur.com/igwPEcu

(Screen looks cloudier and lighter than in person).

TV brightness: darker
Picture mode: movie
Local contrast: off
Dynamic contrast: off
Backlight 0
Brightness 50
Contrast 100
Sharpness 0
color 45
Gamma 2.2
Noise Reduction: off

Do you see that with local contrast on?

I have the same tv and while mine is no where near that bad there are a few light corners (mainly top left) but with local contrast turned on to high or medium it goes away. Local contrast is the tv's name for FALD, which should always be set to on either medium or high.

Samsung UE40MU6100KXXU 40 inch, 4K Ultra HD Certified Pro HDR, Smart LED TV

Sharp LC-55CUG8362KS 55 inch, 4K Ultra HD Certified, Smart TV - Black

Hisense H43N5700UK 43 inch, 4K Ultra HD Certified, Freeview Play, Smart TV

Either one a decent entry 4k hdr tv?

whats the downsides to either?
MU6100 is your best choice out of those. Picture quality is better compared to those TVs, just don't expect real HDR on any of those sets. The screen has a bit of grey uniformity issues but they are not a big problem. Color, contrast, black uniformity and motion blur are great in this set.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Save those complements for your mother and good luck with finding answer here.

Classy.

MU6100 is your best choice out of those. Picture quality is better compared to those TVs, just don't expect real HDR on any of those sets. The screen has a bit of grey uniformity issues but they are not a big problem. Color, contrast, black uniformity and motion blur are great in this set.

Really appreciate the help. That was the TV I was leaning toward too after reading a few user reviews. Just after a decent budget 4k HDR TV so that doesn't bother me too much. Thanks again.

Do you see that with local contrast on?

I have the same tv and while mine is no where near that bad there are a few light corners (mainly top left) but with local contrast turned on to high or medium it goes away. Local contrast is the tv's name for FALD, which should always be set to on either medium or high.

I don't notice any improvements. The only way I see any improvements is when blacklight is turned all the way down.

In person, it's not as apparent looking at it than it is at a screenshot. The only bits that are noticable if I let myself get distracted by it is the upper right splotch , if you will. Here's a screen of Frankenweenie playing. Also, screen looks darker in person than they do in photos

https://imgur.com/F5Yav6S

Lucasfilm logo below

https://imgur.com/PR0PAoh

Again, it doesn't appear as blue in person as it does in photo.

I dunno. I really don't want to go back and forth on the only to find dead pixel on the next one etc. If my biggest problem are black colors on the screen, and not dead pixels...

I dunno lol. This rabbit hole, man.

Stiler

I don't notice any improvements. The only way I see any improvements is when blacklight is turned all the way down.

In person, it's not as apparent looking at it than it is at a screenshot. The only bits that are noticable if I let myself get distracted by it is the upper right splotch , if you will. Here's a screen of Frankenweenie playing. Also, screen looks darker in person than they do in photos

https://imgur.com/F5Yav6S

Lucasfilm logo below

https://imgur.com/PR0PAoh

Again, it doesn't appear as blue in person as it does in photo.

I dunno. I really don't want to go back and forth on the only to find dead pixel on the next one etc. If my biggest problem are black colors on the screen, and not dead pixels...

I dunno lol. This rabbit hole, man.

That is quite strange, with local contrast set to high it should literally be turning off the leds where it's black. On a full black screen you should literlaly have a pure black screen with no light at all.

If it still shows that with FALD set to high you definitely have something wrong.

Also are you watching things through the tv's built in apps or going through an a/v receiver? If you are using a receiver make sure it's not set to mess with the video signal or change anything, just pass a pure signal and let the tv do the image scaling, etc.

That is quite strange, with local contrast set to high it should literally be turning off the leds where it's black. On a full black screen you should literlaly have a pure black screen with no light at all.

If it still shows that with FALD set to high you definitely have something wrong.

Also are you watching things through the tv's built in apps or going through an a/v receiver? If you are using a receiver make sure it's not set to mess with the video signal or change anything, just pass a pure signal and let the tv do the image scaling, etc.

So the pure back screen was through YouTube. I just searched black screen. Results the same for both in app and app on Xbox one.

The movie shots were Blu Ray app on Xbox one

No receiver.

So it looks like local contrast being set to high isn't turning off LEDs. That may be a problem bigger than "panel lottery".

I will do one more comparison between local contrast set to high with Backlight turned all the way down vs local contrast set to off and backlight all the way down.

Edit: Yeah, I'm screwed. I turned backlight all way down, turned contrast level high and off, then turned backlight all way up, turned contrast off and high, and saw zero change between all four images.

Edit 2: the change between blacks with contrast level high and off is obvious in the Xbox one calibration test. Problem is I can't test entire screen in black.

mhayze

So the pure back screen was through YouTube. I just searched black screen. Results the same for both in app and app on Xbox one.

No receiver.

So it looks like local contrast being set to high isn't turning off LEDs. That may be a problem bigger than "panel lottery".

I will do one more comparison between local contrast set to high with Backlight turned all the way down vs local contrast set to off and backlight all the way down.

Edit: Yeah, I'm screwed. I turned backlight all way down, turned contrast level high and off, then turned backlight all way up, turned contrast off and high, and saw zero change between all four images.

Edit 2: the change between blacks with contrast level high and off is obvious in the Xbox one calibration test. Problem is I can't test entire screen in black.

Another explanation is the mapping of black levels is not right, PC RGB modes expect 0 to be black per 8 bit complement, i.e. RGB values should be 0,0,0 for black. Video modes expect 16 to be black i.e. 16,16,16 is black, with sub-16 values reserved for BTB. Consoles have setting to align black values with what you have set on your TV. PC is generally RGB 0=black mode, unless you tweak it in the Nvidia or AMD control panels.

Stiler

No receiver.

Definitely a return then.

On my set if I go to youtube (in the built in youtube app) and watch a pure black video it's jet black since the fald is set to high and it turns off the leds.

However on my pc when I first setup the tv and I was using it from pc>a/v receiver>tv I had issues where the FALD didn't seem to be working correctly and found out that if I set my receiver to not do image scaling or anything and pass an untouched video signal then the FALD on the tv worked correctly and make the blacks a looooot better with no issues of blooming or the flashlighting on the screen.

This is very strange but lately i've been playing Borderlands 2 THC a whole lot and i've been noticing weird black spots on my 65B6 when i open Xbox One settings screen where it's partly grey. To instantly remove these spots i just have to press the gear icon on my remote and it's gone......

It seems those black spots are from the HUD elements, i'm glad as hell these don't produce IR, but those spots that are gone as soon as i press the remote's settings button is odd as hell.

I've noticed that as well when I was playing Fallout: New Vegas. It scared me at first, but then it quickly disappeared.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I know I've been peppering questions in here lately and sorry in advance, but if a tv has a motion rate of 50hz and a processing rare of 100hz what exactly does it mean?

That it'll be a blurry mess? I'm just wondering if it means my games would be locked at 50 fps too? I'm reading up on what they both are but the articles are usually pretty long and never really answer my question.

Reason I ask is because I've found a good deal for an LG 43UJ630V so been reading up on it. Supports HDR 10 and HLG apparently. Don't know if that's true or marketing bullshit.

Edit: the 43UJ630V and 43UJ670V seem identical? https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/f4121c554

I'm currently deciding between the 43UJ630V, 43UJ670V and Samsung UE40MU6100KXXU 😣

BumRush

Yeah if you could, I'd like to compare it with my current settings. Thanks

Mode: THX
Contrast: 65
Brightness: 50
Color: 51
Tint: 6
Sharpness: 60
Temp: Cool 1
Color Mgmt: On
CATS: Off
Video NR: Weak
Blur Reduction: On
Aspect: Full, Size 1
Mosquito NR: Off
Black Level: Dark

Is QLED much better than SUHD? I'm a Samsung guy and there's some good deals near me.

Also do you think picking up an ex-demo unit is a good idea? I'm thinking no.

Is QLED much better than SUHD? I'm a Samsung guy and there's some good deals near me.

Nope. It's basically the same TV, just with a better build quality and a fiber optic cable for the One Connect. Image quality wise it's almost identical. Same Edge-Lit 'local dimming'.

Stiler

No to ex-demo units, you're basically paying for a tv with a shorter lifespan and burn out.

Stores literally turn them on the super vivid color setting and then let them run all day long day in and day out.

There's no real reason to choose a demo unit, I mean unless it's like 50% cheaper and hasn't been a demo unit for THAT long, otherwise I'd avoid them.

MazeHaze

Banned
Nope. It's basically the same TV, just with a better build quality and a fiber optic cable for the One Connect. Image quality wise it's almost identical. Same Edge-Lit 'local dimming'.
It seems like the 2017 Samsungs are worse than last years. The Q7F is worse than the KS8000, and it's supposed to be higher end than the KS.

I've noticed that as well when I was playing Fallout: New Vegas. It scared me at first, but then it quickly disappeared.

Yeah, those spots are exactly at where the HUD elements are. The first time I saw it I immediately decided to see if they would go away if I changed picture mode but pressing the settings button was enough. It's odd, but harmless.

If you are truly ballin' you would put in one of these: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTNtTL08Og8

Yeah, this thing is nuts haha.

Linus gets up right next to it here too, lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X5GDVSA1dQ

With OLEDS and their perfect blacks you can pretty much treat the borders as a thicker bezel. Looks nice. It's becoming rather difficult holding off on buying one with some of the deals I see from time to time.

Yeah, and then especially when you turn out the lights it's pretty crazy.

Devil

Are we expecting any news coming from IFA in Berlin concerning HDMI 2.1 availability or anything from producers about their 2018 models at all?

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Weird question, I've just replaced my Panasonic VT30 50inch plasma.

Now should I sell that or hold onto it? I think there's a weird nostalgia attached to plasma TVs and it still looks great tbf, will these end up being collectors items or anything like that?

BumRush

Now should I sell that or hold onto it? I think there's a weird nostalgia attached to plasma TVs and it still looks great tbf, will these end up being collectors items or anything like that?

Collectors item? Probably not. Do you have space for a second TV? If not, sell it as folks will still pay for plasma

rizzo0

So if a rich doctor friend was looking for a tv closer to the 75" range with close to unlimited funds. What would you guys recommend? Is it pretty much OLED or bust? Any particular panels would be great thanks.

NYR

So if a rich doctor friend was looking for a tv closer to the 75" range with close to unlimited funds. What would you guys recommend? Is it pretty much OLED or bust? Any particular panels would be great thanks.
77 inch LG OLED W7 - $15,000. Especially if it will be mounted.

77 inch LG OLED G7 - $13000. If he isn't mounting.

It seems like the 2017 Samsungs are worse than last years. The Q7F is worse than the KS8000, and it's supposed to be higher end than the KS.

Well, I think they're about the same level. Contrast is better in the KS as well as peak brightness, but color gamut, build quality and motion response are better in the Qs. Both have pros and cons and Rtings' ratings is a bit tougher this year since they changed it to 1.1.

MazeHaze

Banned
Well, I think they're about the same level. Contrast is better in the KS as well as peak brightness, but color gamut, build quality and motion response are better in the Qs. Both have pros and cons and Rtings' ratings is a bit tougher this year since they changed it to 1.1.

At 1800 dollars though, you might as well spend 200 more and get an LG B7.

frogger

I have 4000 to spend on a TV. I want to get a 75 inch or bigger. What are my best choices?

Vizio p75
samusung un82mu8000

Also is curved TV worth it?

ITSMILNER

GAF I need some help setting my new TV up

I picked up a Sony Bravia KDL40WE663BU (Full 1080p, HDR) as I got a good deal and I have connected my PS4 Pro and Nintendo Switch to it

I currently just went straight to the options and set the picture to HDR game mode. The PS4 Pro seems fine with it but the whites seem really....bright, like too bright in a way.

What is the best way to calibrate the TV settings? Is it advisable to leave the TV in HDR mode for when playing Switch games as well?

Mrbob

Bloody Disney. I bought Guardians 2 4k disc and didn't realize the digital code on Vudu is only for the HD stream. Not the UHD stream. First 4k disc I've bought that didn't include the Digital UHD version of a movie when it's available on Vudu.

If you have space to use it, keep it. I have my 42" plasma tv in a secondary room. I don't think I'd keep it as a collector's item though.

ApharmdX

Banned

I'd probably keep it and put it in a spare bedroom if you have one. That said, your VT30 should be worth 200-300 bucks? It's still a nice set for 1080p, particularly for 60Hz gaming. The black level on that year's Panasonic was fixed so it shouldn't rise appreciably, and it remains deeper than today's flagship LCDs like the Sony Z9D or the Samsung Q9.

There's definitely a market for used plasma TVs like later Panasonic and Samsung or any of the Pioneer Kuro models.

Bloody Disney. I bought Guardians 2 4k disc and didn't realize the digital code on Vudu is only for the HD stream. Not the UHD stream. First 4k disc I've bought that didn't include the Digital UHD version of a movie when it's available on Vudu.

If you have space to use it, keep it. I have my 42" plasma tv in a secondary room. I don't think I'd keep it as a collector's item though.

Hey I just figured this out:

Different versions of Vudu have yet to be updated. So, I had mentioned earlier how I had the same problem you were having . When I log onto the Vudu app on Xbox, it tells me that I own UHD but Dolby Vision and Atmos are not highlighted.

However, if I log onto the Vudu app on Firestick or the app on my TCL 605, not only are they highlighted but there is a huge difference in image (and streamiing quality)

So try a different Vudu app

Top Bottom