• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD | Bulldozer, Fusion, AM3+, FM1, and What's To Come

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30793843&postcount=399

9/7 B2-G

ZvcIC.jpg

Biostar TA990FXE 5.x
http://www.biostar.cn/app/en-us/t-series/bios.php?S_ID=554

AMD Bulldozer FX CPUs dated: October 12th. Shhh.
http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/AMD-Bulldozer-FX-CPUs-dated-October-12th-Shhh

by Scott Michaud

AMD has not been too well received in the upper end of CPUs for quite some time now. Once Intel started pushing for performance with their Conroe core, AMD was forced to stay competitive in the mainstream market to survive and that is pretty much where we have been for the last 5 years. Also returning after a nearly 5-year hiatus is the FX moniker for AMD’s flagship products. According to leak(s) from Microcenter that floated past our desks we should see a resurgence of at least one of those two on October 12th, 2011:
"AMD is launching their new AM3+ FX series processors on 10/12/11. We currently have a number of AM3+ compatible motherboards in stock. These motherboards will support the new AM3+ FX processors as well as legacy AM3 processors."
Also from the memo we learned that the new AM3+ FX SKUs that will launch includes: FX-6100, FX-8120, and the FX-8150. The 6000-series parts constitute 6-core processors where the 8000-series parts constitute 8-core parts. To support those processors we shall see three Gigabyte motherboards, four ASUS motherboards, and four ASRock motherboards. Update Oct 1 @ 2pm: There may be more motherboards at launch but since this is a Microcenter leak it only considers their stock.

2oy7f.jpg

Each of these motherboards will require a BIOS update to be serviceable though the leak suggests that the update would be performed by Microcenter themselves. If for some reason you have the board on your own you will need an older AM3 processor to perform the update. Also, the last two ASRock motherboards (asterixed) do not yet have a BIOS update for AM3+. AMD is expected to post an official blog about the topic on October 3rd at AMD.com.

Mudkips said:
The vast majority of work a CPU does is fetch/decode and integer operations.
The FPU is used least of all. The FPU is used more in gaming, media, and scientific applications, but scientific and media applications are increasingly using the GPU to do the runt of their work. Furthermore, the floating point unit in a BD core is actually two 128-bit floating point units. The two can function as a single 256-bit FPU, or they can function as two symmetrical 128-bit FPUs. Very few things need 256-bit precision.

Huh, so as long as I don't use my PC for dumb things like gaming and video editing or Photoshop, I will be fine with an AMD CPU? Well sign me up then, because I certainly need 8 cores for Firefox and Microsoft Word!

Anybody who posts to GAF really wants grunty FPU, and Intel has that. Which means anybody who posts on GAF is silly not buy Intel, the superior performing product.

Shambles said:
Not to mention only a few percent of the market actually gives a shit about high end performance and anyone who honestly believes that AMD has been behind the ball in consumer products over the last several years is pretty disillusioned. Until Sandy Bridge came out AMD had Intel beat on performance/dollar at every price point up to 200$ at which only Intel really had viable products above that. Bulldozer doesn't have to outperform sandy bridge, it just has to outperform it at the price points that the majority of the market buys at. I think it's easy to forget that even though we're the enthusiasts, we're largely irrelevant to the market forces that drive the decisions for these businesses.

Let's be 100% clear on this. Intel could destroy AMD on a whim. They could lower all their CPU prices and introduce new bins at every price point and annihilate AMD at will. They don't because they don't want the US Government and the European Union breathing down their necks with antitrust actions, and also Intel has good use for AMD. By letting AMD set the pace of innovation, they are keeping things nice and slow and Intel can rake in fat margins by selling stuff that's slower than it needs to be and pricier than it needs to be. There's nothing preventing Intel from crushing AMD except the realities of government regulation and the fact that keeping an also-ran competitor in the market has many uses.

AMD will never again catch Intel in technology, it's just not possible. But Intel will keep AMD on a tight leash, never too far behind, never too much less expensive, so as to ensure this current state of the market remains forever. Intel benefits from having AMD around, that's why they allow AMD to exist. Period.

Umm I doubt that. AMD has been pretty close to bankruptcy some years in the past so if Intel was "keeping them alive" they aren't doing a very good job of it.

Also you have companies like Apple filing patent lawsuits because they desperately want to be a tablet monopoly in EU/US, you think Intel is the reverse?

If that is true though, then I'm all for it. Long as we have some competition. And dont forget AMD is also big in GPU's (which also undercuts your Intel theory). And dont forget some years ago when AMD was riding high (back in Pentium 4 days), they were outselling Intel easily in consumer desktop, again not what you'd expect for a company kept on a leash.

Overall AMD has a niche because there's room for two players (AMD being the lower priced, not top line performance niche), not because Intel wants them to exist. Does Intel want ARM to be eating their lunch in mobile and now making noises about moving up into Intel's desktop territory, too?

Anyway those FX prices posted above boast something fairly competitive with Sandy Bridge. As I've always stated, NO specification tells you more about a chip's performance than price. So far so good anyway. $259 for the high end model means it'll perform around whatever chip Intel sells for 259 does. Which would be above a i5 2500k ($219), but below a i7-2600 (299).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
specialguy said:
Umm I doubt that. AMD has been pretty close to bankruptcy some years in the past so if Intel was "keeping them alive" they aren't doing a very good job of it.

Also you have companies like Apple filing patent lawsuits because they desperately want to be a tablet monopoly in EU/US, you think Intel is the reverse?

If that is true though, then I'm all for it. Long as we have some competition. And dont forget AMD is also big in GPU's (which also undercuts your Intel theory). And dont forget some years ago when AMD was riding high (back in Pentium 4 days), they were outselling Intel easily in consumer desktop, again not what you'd expect for a company kept on a leash.

Overall AMD has a niche because there's room for two players (AMD being the lower priced, not top line performance niche), not because Intel wants them to exist. Does Intel want ARM to be eating their lunch in mobile and now making noises about moving up into Intel's desktop territory, too?

Anyway those FX prices posted above boast something fairly competitive with Sandy Bridge. As I've always stated, NO specification tells you more about a chip's performance than price. So far so good anyway. $259 for the high end model means it'll perform around whatever chip Intel sells for 259 does. Which would be above a i5 2500k ($219), but below a i7-2600 (299).
I don't agree with the notion that AMD can not possibly catch up to Intel (they have in the past when Intel took a misstep, but got burned by delays and stagnation), but it won't be for a long time since they still have a lot of poor management that affected their roadmaps, and will continue to affect them until they reach the 16nm node or so.

But Intel absolutely benefits from AMD being around, and that's not really comparable to ARM, since Intel doesn't really have a good embedded solution yet. Atom can't compete with ARM, two totally different market segments (or heck, markets in general).

Also, unless I'm mistaken, Phenom IIs price didn't reflect their performance relative to Intel CPUs. i7 920 was a better value for $50 more than the PII 955, but in fairness to AMD, they did have cheaper motherboards.

chaosblade said:
I don't agree with the notion that AMD can not possibly catch up to Intel (they have in the past when Intel took a misstep, but got burned by delays and stagnation), but it won't be for a long time since they still have a lot of poor management that affected their roadmaps, and will continue to affect them until they reach the 16nm node or so.

But Intel absolutely benefits from AMD being around, and that's not really comparable to ARM, since Intel doesn't really have a good embedded solution yet. Atom can't compete with ARM, two totally different market segments (or heck, markets in general).

Also, unless I'm mistaken, Phenom IIs price didn't reflect their performance relative to Intel CPUs. i7 920 was a better value for $50 more than the PII 955, but in fairness to AMD, they did have cheaper motherboards.

Probably Arm and Nvidia's GPGPU stuff might be enough to already be considered a competitor to Intel. They probably dont even need AMD for that.

I just doubt it, Intel has drive AMD close to the brink many times, they wouldn't do that if they were somehow keeping them on life support. The whole thing is a little tinfoil hat for me.

For the CPU pricing stuff, pricing is not linear to performance. "$50 more expensive but a better performance value" isn't really relevant here, as there's some people who simply cant or wont afford the extra 50 (especially when it's mom and pop who just websurf cruising Best Buy for desktops). It's much like video cards in that regard.

I've followed prerelease video cards for years, and it's often difficult to judge performance on leaked specs especially when they differ so much between AMD/Nvidia. But the one spec you can count on to be exact to performance is usually price. If a GPU is on par in price with another, it will perform roughly on par.

Soldier has been a relentlessly annoying twat, this is the bulldozer thread, go shill for intel in the PC buying thread.

believe it or not some of us own intel hardware yet we're still interested in AMD's new architecture. Feist has done a fucking superb job of keeping us informed.

belvedere

Junior Butler
fizzelopeguss said:
Soldier has been a relentlessly annoying twat, this is the bulldozer thread, go shill for intel in the PC buying thread.

believe it or not some of us own intel hardware yet we're still interested in AMD's new architecture. Feist has done a fucking superb job of keeping us informed.

It's one thing to debate, but he's clearly way too emotionally invested...

Pretty hilarious.

Datschge

Unknown Soldier said:
AMD will never again catch Intel in technology
AMD is ahead in graphics technology, that's its last but huge ace. How hugely Intel is dropping its balls in that area can be witnessed again at the latest Atom releases which includes Imagination Technologies' PowerVR graphics after the last couple of Intel homebrew graphics version even though Intel's PowerVR drivers issues are the same old disaster (this time they dropped promised DX10 compatibility to DX9+). Doesn't sound like Intel finally got how to do graphics, while AMD is very slowly but surely arriving at the overdue CPU+GPU convergence at which point it will be really interesting how Intel intends to reacts.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Nice to see I was right on target for the 8120 price point. Exactly at what the 2500K is going for.

I guess it has to be faster, right? Or at least clock better.
If it's the same general performance, but markets '8 cores' then smh.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I guess I'll wait for reviews/benchmarks on these new processors before upgrading my PC.

Iadien said:
I guess I'll wait for reviews/benchmarks on these new processors before upgrading my PC.

Same here.

My Corsair case should arrive 22nd of this month, set on a corei52500k but could change my mind depending on reviews.

Hazaro said:
Nice to see I was right on target for the 8120 price point. Exactly at what the 2500K is going for.

I guess it has to be faster, right? Or at least clock better.
If it's the same general performance, but markets '8 cores' then smh.

I hope good things from the new AMD chips. It would be nice to see Intel drop the price on the 2500k's a bit due to them. I'd love to upgrade my main system to dual boot Mac & Win7 without spending too much.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Iadien said:
That's always a good idea. I had a friend that spent $1500 building an AM3+ rig last month planning to do a drop-in upgrade when BD gets launched. I really hope it works out for him, but locking yourself into a corner like that before you even have benches or anything just seems crazy to me.

Mudkips

Banned
Gvaz said:
What were those previous reviews then for, they were pretty shitty.

What previous reviews? Do you mean the dozens of obviously fake benchmarks that have been trotted out over the past couple of months?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
About what I expected, maybe a bit higher. Passmark alone doesn't really say much though, we don't know the clock speed (might not be stock) and it takes advantage of things like Hyperthreading that generally won't improve real world performance. The eight int processors are probably being fully taken advantage of here in a way that might not be in real world conditions.

Still expecting the 8150 to be about on par with the 2500 in most cases, but I'd love for it to give AMD an edge to drive prices down.

Mudkips

Banned
chaosblade said:
About what I expected, maybe a bit higher. Passmark alone doesn't really say much though, we don't know the clock speed (might not be stock) and it takes advantage of things like Hyperthreading that generally won't improve real world performance. The eight int processors are probably being fully taken advantage of here in a way that might not be in real world conditions.

Still expecting the 8150 to be about on par with the 2500 in most cases, but I'd love for it to give AMD an edge to drive prices down.

Bulldozer doesn't have hyperthreading.
Hyperthreading is Intel's technique of jamming a second, independent, instruction into a long pipeline and hoping there won't be a branch that causes a collision.

Mudkips

Banned
Kyaw said:
When is the official release of BD?

Need the price details and more extensive benchmarks...

The current rumor is October 12th (Wednesday).

When you'll be able to buy them off Newegg/TigerDirect/Microcenter no one knows, but it should be on the official release date, or just a few days after. Lots of places have shit listed already, and you can probably get your orders in and have them honored, but you should still treat the prices as placeholders.

Pricing rumors peg the 8150 at $220 - $250. This is the price to retailers in batches of 1000, though these prices are usually the same for actual customers, and sometimes less. Unless there's a limited supply (which there shouldn't be - wanting ample supply on release was one of the reasons for all the delays).

If the October 12th date is true, then if there's any sanity left in the world, NDAs will expire on Monday at 5PM (Pacific) at the latest. I'd guess that the NDA ends tomorrow, though.

Eiji said:
Hope the AMD Ninja's don't get him first!
He's replied once since, didn't say much at all, apart from essentially stating "just a few more days." So, no benches, at least until the NDA lifts.

http://semiaccurate.com/forums/showpost.php?p=137042&postcount=118
Dahakon said:
Some Dutch magazine had a review online premature accidentally.

http://translate.google.nl/translat...dware/componenten/processoren/fx-8150&act=url

Google Cache is our friend, translate too.

One point of interest: Cinebench 11.5 does not give a 5.xx score for BD FX-8150
Original:
http://www.pcmweb.nl/hardware/componenten/processoren/fx-8150

*Since caches don't last:

AMD FX-8150
Thursday, October 6, 2011 - 15:56 | Jaap Veenstra

It took a while, but here it is: the brand new FX series from AMD. No botched Athlon core, but a new architecture code-named Bulldozer. We test the top-eight CPU cores at 3.6 GHz tap. Turbocharged 4.2 GHz or even 3.9. Delicious!

AMD called the Bulldozer different approach than the Phenoms. Bulldozer CPUs are built in modules, each containing two cores. AMD has therefore not only about cores, but also the number of modules that a processor exists.

Modular

Let us briefly explain which a module exists. As mentioned earlier, each commanded Bulldozer module two nuclei. These two 16KB L1 lodge each data cache and 64KB instruction cache. They share the data fetcher, decoder and L2 cache (2MB per module). Each module has an embedded scheduler to the instructions on the two cores distributed. Each module receives a 16-bit HyperTransport link. In case of octacore FX processor, there are four HT links.

The linked modules share L3 cache. With a quad core is 4MB, 6MB and one gets a hexacore octacore get 8MB. As much as the L2 memory is. Naturally, the modules share the memory controller. This is however still dual channel, but can now officially 1866 MHz DDR memory along.

The advantage of modular building, is that you can easily create a large line of processors can launch. AMD can now dual cores, quad cores, hexacores, octacores, etc release. Simply by one, two, three, four, or eight modules such linking. This is especially for the server market is particularly interesting. Moreover, a segment where AMD wants to hit back hard with Bulldozer.

Type HyperThreading?

You could say that the FX line uses a kind of hyper threading. However, hyper-threading does not work with two discrete nuclei. For example, there are four cores i7 2600K which can process eight instructions simultaneously. AMD actually uses eight cores, but they share certain parts of the CPU. Therefore you will not see perfect scaling. However, better than hyperthreading.

AMD also indicates that these modules in relation to work more efficiently and more powerful than hyperthreading. For programmers, it is also easier because they do not specifically take into account HyperThreading: there are simply eight cores available. Any application that multi-core programming, it can cope with these CPUs. When hyperthreading is not the case. Just look at the CPU load while playing games. In an i7 will see that only four threads in use.

Line-up

AMD currently has quite a few CPUs. We see three quad cores: the FX 4100, FX and FX-4170 B4150. Then another hexacore: the FX-6100. And three octacores: the FX 8100, FX 8120 and FX-8150. There are of course models at. Example, a higher clocked FX-8170.
The new FX line works on all motherboards with socket AM3 + and a 900-series chipset. That's all pretty happy that, thanks to the postponement of AMD.

What about prices? We only have only seen U.S. dollars, but guess at launch at around 220 euros for the FX-8150, EUR 200 for the FX 8120, 190 euros for the FX-8100 and 180 euros for the FX-6120. These are competitive prices for octa-and hexacores!

High speeds

A case where AMD has been doing well, its clock speeds. Bulldozers are all over 3GHz. Partly thanks to a turbo mode. For example our test candidate to act out, the FX-8150: Standard on 3.6 GHz, touch it. With trubo on all eight cores, the speed to 3.9 GHz. The turbo four cores active, the clock speed to 4.2 GHz. These are not bad scores. Last year you had to pretty hard to overclock to those speeds with a quad core processor to get!

Overclocking Potential

Speaking of overclocking might wish you the news meegepikt: the FX-8150 has broken the world record for overclocking. The professional overclockers got more than 8.4 GHz processor. Now we have no liquid helium in the lab, but we have made an attempt with a fairly average cooling tower. The motherboard is an Asus Crosshair V with many delightful settings.

We have found that 5 GHz is feasible with excellent all four modules are enabled (eight cores so). We have 1.47 volts on the cpu needed it. This is a very respectable overclocking! Especially considering the fact that the first samples and the motherboard BIOSes often with premature work. The Asus is quite stable though.

Energy

Processor manufacturers are trying not only the CPU's faster, but especially energy efficient. A8 AMD is a very good example. The fastest in the series, the 3850 A8 is about as fast as one Phenom 940, but uses a fraction of the energy (38 watts in idle and just over 100 watts full load) and therefore offers a swift integrated GPU.

Bulldozer is an efficient processor. At rest, with a consuming HD5970, uses the platform 118 watts. We draw about 50 watts from the card, then we arrive at 68 watts for the CPU, motherboard, memory and hard disk. It's a bit more than that Sandy Bridge with a high-end motherboard comes out at about 40 watts using the GPU geïntegrerde. We stress the CPU then Aida64 consumption up to 238 watts: an increase of 120 watts, which is right, given the TDP of 125 watts.

Real life performance

But how the processor performs standard speed now? We set the FX-8150 in the socket of an Asus Crosshair V and put a 4GB DDR3-1600 Memory (7-7-7-20). If we use an HD5970 GPU (dual gpu). The operating system, Windows Ultimate 64-bit, standing on a WD Velociraptor.

We run both benchmarks for CPU, GPU, and as for the entire system. Of course we are curious about how the bulldozer is performing compared to the i5 i7 2500 and 2600: the alternatives from Intel. AMD puts the FX-8150 to the i5 line. Both in terms of price and performance.

We start with Cinebench-10. And here we get a core 4074 issues. Approximately 1.5 times less than an Intel core so (both the 2600 and the i5 i7 2500 get about 5800 points. An 'old' i7 965 is around 4900 points)

But the bulldozer hits back hard in the multi-CPU test. Here we see 20615 points. A multiplication of 5.06. We had expected a bit more honest, more close to six times. Perhaps the faster memory to work out better. Yet five times faster is not bad: a hyperthreaded i7 gets just four times. In addition, a very nice score 20,615 points: it is 2000 points more than an i5 2500K and 2000 points less than the more expensive i7 2600K. 11.5-in Cinebench scores Bulldozer with 6.01 points and between the i5 and i7 2500K 2600K in: get the i5 and i7 5.37 6.73 gets points on our test platform. I7 965 sits on a 5.73 points.

Going to 3DMark Vantage, we see a CPU score of 19,119. A perfect score in the top segment. Again between the i5 and i7 in. I7 gets around 22,500 points on the CPU. The total score is an nice 21949 points. Less than an i7 with this card comes out around 25,500. However: every game is without problems on super high detail and resolution to play with this system.

In 3DMark 2011 scores 6616 points in total AMD. Again, neat and a good sign that the processor can feed data to the HD5970. For comparison also take an i7 965 with the HD5970: 7385 points, roughly equivalent to a 2600K i7 with that GPU. Tag is a still faster. With an i5 you're at about the same level as the FX-8150.

Gaming

AMD focuses FX platform especially for gamers. Gamers with separate graphics cards will work, sometimes in CrossFire. We turn therefore take the Dirt3 benchmark at 1920 by 1080 and every detail. The HD5970 has to work hard and certainly not limited by the CPU.

The FX-8150 gets 105 fps on average in this test with a minimum of 75 fps. An incredibly good score, considering the load this game can give both the cpu and gpu. If we look at our platform with the 965-i7 Nehalem CPU, then we - of course with the same settings - at 93 fps and a minimum of 71 fps. Definitely good to play, but lower than the FX-8150.

We turn then still Mafia II. A very CPU-intensive game. There we see that the new platform averaged 68.3 fps able to render. Nehalem setup squeezed out, 76 fps. Just over the Bulldozer. Perhaps some help here 6GB memory.

Finally, even the cpu-intensive game Far Cry 2. We run a loop on a full-HD with all settings at maximum and direct X 10 on. The AMD FX-8150 renders an average of 111 fps and a minimum of 23 fps. I7 126 fps compared to 965 puts it, and a minimum of 75.2 fps. Here you see a bit more powerful Intel cores than AMD.

Conclusion

Conclusion The FX-8150 is an excellent processor from AMD in particular on price / quality convincing. He comes easy with the i5 in 2500 - he is actually slightly faster - and sometimes comes close to the i7 2600K during multi-threaded instruction. Not bad for 220 Euros. Also on the gaming field newcomer know without a doubt convince. The CPU is powerful enough to be a very swift GPU data needs. That leaves the benchmark Dirt3 see. For Intel CPU-intensive games is still ahead. If we look at overclocking potential, we can only conclude one thing: Bulldozer overclocks well. Combine that with not too expensive motherboards and you have a very nice price for a very rapid system

Advantages

menu-leaf.gif
Eight cores
menu-leaf.gif
High clock speeds
menu-leaf.gif
Fri economical [Very??]
menu-leaf.gif
Price​

Cons

menu-leaf.gif
Performance per watt​

Rating

stars45_x.gif

*The author's CPU lineup remarks mention the long rumored 8170, and the following, assuming it's correct:

AMD FX-8150: 3.6Ghz/4.2Ghz, 125W TDP, 8 Cores, 8MB L3 Cache, AM3+, 1866+ Mhz Memory Support

AMD FX-8100: 2.8Ghz/3.7Ghz, 95W TDP, 8 Cores, 8MB L3 Cache, AM3+, 1866+ Mhz Memory Support

AMD FX-6100: 3.3Ghz/3.9Ghz, 95W TDP, 6 Cores, 8MB L3 Cache, AM3+, 1866+ Mhz Memory Support

AMD FX-4170: 4.2Ghz/4.3Ghz, 125W TDP, 4 Cores, 8MB L3 Cache, AM3+, 1866+ Mhz Memory Support

AMD FX-B4150: 3.8Ghz/4.0Ghz, 95W TDP, 4Cores, 8MB L3 Cache, AM3+, 1866+ Mhz Memory Support

AMD FX-4100: 3.6Ghz/3.8Ghz, 95W TDP, 8 Cores, 4MB L3 Cache, AM3+, 1866+ Mhz Memory Support

Mudkips

Banned
The Stealth Fox said:
AMD FX-4100: 3.6Ghz/3.8Ghz, 95W TDP, 8 Cores, 4MB L3 Cache, AM3+, 1866+ Mhz Memory Support

I WANTS IT

That's a typo. The 4100 has 4 cores.
The first digit indicates the number of cores.
8xxx
6xxx
4xxx

And according to those benchmarks, it looks like what everyone (with a brain) suspected:
i5 2500 < 8150 < i7 2600

With the price and overclocking potential, it's a clear winner for me unless Intel goes for a significant price cut.

Gvaz

Banned
AMD FX-4170: 4.2Ghz/4.3Ghz, 125W TDP, 4 Cores, 8MB L3 Cache, AM3+, 1866+ Mhz Memory Support

Want this. Seems like the best CPU right now

Gvaz

Banned
Wazzim said:
Do you guys want me to translate something or is google translate enough?
Google translate is enough to get the point across in this case, but it's shitty to read.

Mudkips

Banned
There was no mention of the stock cooler included with the processor, so it's safe to assume it's just a standard air cooler, and not a self-contained water cooler as previously rumored.

Unless there are different SKUs with a water cooler. (The 8170?)

Wazzim

Banned
The 5ghz OC is insane but we were told the same with SB so we'll see how the retail ones will perform.

It's a bit more than that Sandy Bridge with a high-end motherboard comes out at about 40 watts using the GPU geïntegrerde.
lol even the original dutch version is badly written. (he meant 'integrated' btw)

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Would have been nice if they had mentioned gaming performance compared to newer Intel CPUs instead of just an old one.

But otherwise it looks okay. Interested in seeing some real overclocking results since it's not safe to assume 5GHz will be typical. And 1.47v seems high for a 32nm chip.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Leaks haven't shown anything surprising if true or not.
Waiting on leaked benches from Asia BBS now.
Wazzim said:
The 5ghz OC is insane but we were told the same with SB so we'll see how the retail ones will perform.
1.47V is more insane for a 32nm chip. If true and if reviewer has any idea of what he is doing. Probably just aiming for max speed, no mention of stability or other stuff so I'm not taking much stock in it.

For EuroGAF, price search engine Prisjakt.nu has the FX 8150 listed from ~2,500-2,700, or about $280-$310 (~€210-€230), across different retailers.

screencap:
http://i.imgur.com/Ef1s5.jpg

http://www.prisjakt.nu/produkt.php?p=994049

2 170,40 SEK - AMD FX-8150
http://webshop.k-e.se/m4n?seid=etailer-product&prodid=614627&viewMode=3&ref=priskt

Mudkips said:
There was no mention of the stock cooler included with the processor, so it's safe to assume it's just a standard air cooler, and not a self-contained water cooler as previously rumored.

Unless there are different SKUs with a water cooler. (The 8170?)
Yeah, after being dispelled, this rumor has come back up again. That being, AMD may have an "Asetek-like" solution similar to Intel, Antec, and Corsair.

Aside from the world record run, and other private press briefings, every public showing of BD has used a standard AMD air cooler. Now, we just need to see if they are in fact like the heat pipe HSFs that come with some Phenom II BEs or (doubtful), closer to the basic HSF they include with most lower end options.

http://i.imgur.com/gwVPs.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/Hepu8.jpg

c4FPe.jpg

Wazzim said:
This review, AMD, AMD affiliates, and others have all mentioned hitting ~5GHz on air. AMD, and their direct affiliates, have claimed that there isn't a great deal of cherry-picking going on, so we'll see how valid that is. Along with the world record event, where they showed various clocks on different solutions, AMD has had a few other events that many of the major tech sites attended, and some commented on the overclocking results.

iEJdq.png

Do you guys remember the recent Bulldozer presentation slides that were written off by many, in part because DH, and OBR were the first to post them? The ones which are supposed to be under embargo until October 12?

Techbang posted off-angle camera shots of a few slides from a presentation they attended.

Fake edit: JUST as I was posting this, Techbang pulled their 2-page piece. Unfortunately, I can't save it as a PDF, but I'll upload all of the relevant photos. The text is really just a recap of the slides, and other info that we already know.

AMD &#20843;&#26680;&#25512;&#22303;&#27231; bulldozer &#20358;&#20102;&#65292;&#19981;&#37782;&#38971;&#31354;&#20919;&#21487;&#26395; 5GHz
http://www.techbang.com.tw/posts/7202-eight-core-amd-bulldozers-came-air-cooling-is-expected-to-5ghz

gGpnY.png
DX6EW.png

bcWD9.png
8aMCT.png

qZwg4.png
ZuJGv.png

The rest:
http://i.imgur.com/kwGXk.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/30Fv6.png
http://i.imgur.com/soZ5g.png
http://i.imgur.com/0qzZ5.png
http://i.imgur.com/h8unr.png
http://i.imgur.com/u28fz.png
http://i.imgur.com/KeAeN.png
http://i.imgur.com/bL3cy.png

It isn't the (claimed) full 33+ slide presentation, though.

*click for 1,600px × 387px

On a related topic:

http://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/l2g82/im_just_gonna_say_it/

I'm sitting in on a press briefing for AMD Bulldozer right now, and while everything is embargoed, I will say this: If you're building a gaming PC, this is going to be the way to go.

Edit 1 We're gonna be covering the normal stuff (Benchmarks, etc.) but we're also going to talk about value proposition against Intel as well as some of the exciting new advancements that Bulldozer brings to the table. On October 12th, 12:01am CST.

Edit 2 "We" means Icrontic. I'm not trying to shill my site or anything; we do have a Bulldozer on the testbench, we sat in on a press briefing tonight, and we will have a launch-day piece about it. Of course, you'll also find reviews and other awesome content at [H], AnandTech, TechReport, and so on. Please consider us in your content rotation, we're a small but very, very dedicated team who have been doing this since 2000. Thanks!

http://icrontic.com/

Top Bottom