• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD | Bulldozer, Fusion, AM3+, FM1, and What's To Come

The FX 6300 looks like it will be great for budget gaming rig. It drubs the i3 3220 (which is roughly the same price) in nearly every benchmark I've seen thus far.

An AMD chip worth upgrading to? I'll keep an eye out... my unlocked 3x Phenom 2 (now a 4x) is still doing me pretty good, but in the next year or so I'll be looking into such an upgrade. I lost the extra back plate to my water cooler for Intel chips, so I'd much prefer to upgrade to AMD if a decent enough one comes about.

aeolist

Banned
AMD is back? I won't habeeb it.

It's better than Bulldozer but it's still far worse single-threaded performance compared to Sandy Bridge, and forget about IVB. Games performance is still worse and power consumption is still high.

They're not hitting 20nm until 2014, at which point Intel will have released 14nm silicon with their next major architecture change in the pipeline and the gap will likely have widened.

I want AMD to succeed but this pace is not working for them, they're not getting into new markets aggressively enough, and they're slashing their engineering workforce.

I'm sure they'll survive the next few years but I doubt we'll see them as a big player in the performance x86 space again.

DieH@rd

Banned
Vishera looks to be a good product, but my quad Phenom II is serving me well. I will wait until Steamroller before thinking about upgrade.

Top Bottom