• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Binding of Isaac Dev on Steam Sales

Opiate

I believe this will eventually be a press release, but it isn't quite yet. I cannot reveal my source, but I have been allowed to share it with you. This is Ed McMillen, developer of Binding of Isaac:

Ed MCmillen said:
So as you may know, The Binding of Isaac was released on Steam last week, and i have to say I've been very taken aback by the overwhelmingly positive and high review scores, even more so by the sales numbers that now rival Super Meat Boys release numbers. I never at all expected such a great launch and die hard fan base, especially for a game as odd as Isaac. As I've mentioned on my blog, since the game has superseded my expectations, i will be doing my best to give back to the fan base that got me where I a today and continue to support my work, much like we did with SMB.

First off, i just released the "Flash Demo" of Isaac on Newgrounds.com (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/581168)
The Demo consists of 2 of the games early levels along with 8 possible bosses and 60+ items, enough to get your feet wet and i believe it gives a good sense of what the full game has to offer.

Second i'd like to officially announce that The Binding of Isaac will be getting a very large (and free) content update via Steam this Halloween.
The update will consist of 20+ new items, 3 new bosses, 1 new playable character, a few more achievements and a new "final chapter" for the people out there who have "finished" the game.
This final chapter should be a much bigger challenge.

This 2nd update is more or less my dream update, something i wanted to be able to do for release but knew it would push the game back another month to get done, so in a way on the 31st Isaac will become exactly what i wanted to release but didn't have the time to finish.
One of the many awesome things about steam is the ease of updating, so this should be a very seamless update for people.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I was going to pass on this game because of the color palette, but after all the good things people are saying I think I need to play it.

Aguirre

Opiate said:
I believe this will eventually be a press release, but it isn't quite yet. I cannot reveal my source, but I have been allowed to share it with you. This is Ed McMillen, developer of Binding of Isaac:
188135_226083674086294_4413740_n.jpg

this is gonna be great, good game

The Technomancer

-PXG- said:
http://www.impossibledecals.com/store/image/cache/data/Rage%20Faces/misc-are-you-fucking-kidding-me-clean-l-500x500.png[IMG][/QUOTE]
What? I wasn't attracted to a game that seems to be an exploration in brown, grey, and reddish-brown with a visual style that seemed cartoonishly grotesque. Didn't really do anything for me.

MNC

Awesome game, awesome dude. I talked a friend into buying the game yesterday and he's loving it. Spread the words guys :)

The music guys, the music...

watch

For people still on the fence: Listen to that music while you read this.

The story is disturbingly creepy; (all I'm doing is transcribing the intro)
your mother wants you killed to show her undying love for the Lord above, God. She's hearing voices that tell her that that her son (Isaac) is the source of corruption. Isaac escapes to the basement, getting all kinds of fucked up powerups fighting all kinds of fucked up things in the basement and depths below. Also, these monsters are your brothers and sisters.

That your mother also tried to kill/put in the basement. They are deformed and have serious deficiences. Holy shit.
This game is so dark.

Tunavi

Banned
How about you release the mac version of super meat boy, which I bought a year ago? Won't buy this until that happens.

jonno394

Just played the demo! It's Legend of Zelda's dungeons but with copious amounts of blood and twisted imagery. I'm off to buy!

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The_Technomancer said:
What? I wasn't attracted to a game that seems to be an exploration in brown, grey, and reddish-brown with a visual style that seemed cartoonishly grotesque. Didn't really do anything for me.

I have a dream that we will one day live in a nation where games will not be judged by the color of their pixels but by the content of their gameplay.

BlueLegs

Always good news when a good game exceeds it sales targets. I've finished it a few of times and am looking forward to going through it a few more. Can't wait to see what sick and twisted stuff he puts into the Halloween update.

The Technomancer

hey_it's_that_dog said:
I have a dream that we will one day live in a nation where games will not be judged by the color of their pixels but by the content of their gameplay.
Well to be fair the "shooty-classic-Zelda-ish" gameplay didn't exactly make me super excited either, its not like I was "man, if only this was in primary colors I would be all over it"

But if its as good as everyone says then at $5 I need to give it a chance

Weenerz

Banned
Not a big fan of the roguelike genre, but I bought this game to support an awesome developer, they really get how to support PC gaming and deserve our money.

Draft

Great news.

Isaac is fucking disgusting. I was fighting that one sub-boss, the twin snakes. They drop poop as they move around the screen. My Isaac had received the urine arrow upgrade. Every time one of the snake's segments is blown up it leaves behind a puddle of blood. By the end of the fight, the room was covered in piss, shit and blood. I mean, imagine something like that rendered in Unreal Engine 3.0.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
The game is gdlk and really difficult, especially after you beat it the first time. I'm around 14 hours in and only beat the damn thing 3-4 times. This generation of games has made me soft and this is a kind reminder on how things use to and should be.

Stitch

Gold Member
Draft said:
Great news.

Isaac is fucking disgusting. I was fighting that one sub-boss, the twin snakes. They drop poop as they move around the screen. My Isaac had received the urine arrow upgrade. Every time one of the snake's segments is blown up it leaves behind a puddle of blood. By the end of the fight, the room was covered in piss, shit and blood. I mean, imagine something like that rendered in Unreal Engine 3.0.
I would buy it

MNC

The_Technomancer said:
Well to be fair the "shooty-classic-Zelda-ish" gameplay didn't exactly make me super excited either, its not like I was "man, if only this was in primary colors I would be all over it"

I had the same idea. The thing is there are so many powerups that make the gameplay quite different the whole time.

K701

Banned
I thought this thread was going to be about a steam sale for the game. I kinda want to buy it after watching a let's play of it, but last time I bought an indie game (terraria) it went on sale for like 3 dollars like a week after. And that game was still new when it went on sale. As soon as I buy this is gonna be like 1.50 and I'm gonna kick myself.

How long did it take super meat boy to get a sale?

inky

The_Technomancer said:

I am not a fan of this kind of aesthetics either, not my cup of tea really. Some people like them, some people don't mind them; me, they actually put me off the game. I don't enjoy grotesque visuals, but it's cool that the game is doing fine and people like them.

Mako_Drug

K701 said:
I thought this thread was going to be about a steam sale for the game. I kinda want to buy it after watching a let's play of it, but last time I bought an indie game (terraria) it went on sale for like 3 dollars like a week after. And that game was still new when it went on sale. As soon as I buy this is gonna be like 1.50 and I'm gonna kick myself.

Grow some balls man. It's a good game and totally worth $5.

Glass Rebel

Fantastic game, would be even better if it had Steam Cloud saves, wasn't in Flash and had built-in controller support. I'll still buy everything you make, Edmund, but it would be nice if you cared more about the technical side of your game.

K701 said:

How long did it take super meat boy to get a sale?
are you serious is a difference of THREE DOLLARS AND FIFTY CENTS really going to ruin the game for you

ugh i hate the world so much right now

vocab

Tunavi said:
How about you release the mac version of super meat boy, which I bought a year ago? Won't buy this until that happens.

Ed really has nothing to do with the Mac version of SMB.

MNC said:
Awesome game, awesome dude. I talked a friend into buying the game yesterday and he's loving it. Spread the words guys :)

The music guys, the music...

watch

For people still on the fence: Listen to that music while you read this.

The story is disturbingly creepy; (all I'm doing is transcribing the intro)
your mother wants you killed to show her undying love for the Lord above, God. She's hearing voices that tell her that that her son (Isaac) is the source of corruption. Isaac escapes to the basement, getting all kinds of fucked up powerups fighting all kinds of fucked up things in the basement and depths below. Also, these monsters are your brothers and sisters.
Holy crap

Davidion

My game just crashed after grabbing a skeleton key, ugh.

I really wish the game preserved the *last* generated session, so that when you crash it doesn't wipe out a potentially great run with it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
-PXG- said:
http://www.impossibledecals.com/store/image/cache/data/Rage%20Faces/misc-are-you-fucking-kidding-me-clean-l-500x500.png[IMG][/QUOTE]What the problem? It looks like hemorrhoids. Red and brown. Nasty.

Some of us don't want to be reminded of that suffering.

wutwutwut

Glass Rebel said:
Fantastic game, would be even better if it had Steam Cloud saves, wasn't in Flash and had built-in controller support. I'll still buy everything you make, Edmund, but it would be nice if you cared more about the technical side of your game.
Does Ed even write code?

I'm glad it's doing well. I've been the evangelist among my friends and in my office, again, for this game after my crazy YOU MUST BUY THIS spree for Super Meat Boy.

I would LOVE an update that fixed the frame rate issues.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
The_Technomancer said:

I'm just razzin' ya. I have only played the demo and it's not an insta-buy for me either. But it's not because of brown.

Orayn

Futureman said:
is it fine with keyboard controls?

don't have Steam, but maybe it's time...
1. You really, really should get Steam.
2. Yes, it's based on 8-way movement and 4-way shooting with WASD and arrow keys respectively.

Futureman said:
is it fine with keyboard controls?

don't have Steam, but maybe it's time...
Step on up.

Just make sure to set aside a nice chunk of money in your steam wallet. Christmas sales are the most insane thing that has ever happened to video games on the sales front.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Davidion said:
My game just crashed after grabbing a skeleton key, ugh.

I really wish the game preserved the *last* generated session, so that when you crash it doesn't wipe out a potentially great run with it.

I agree. It's one thing to lose your progress due to a death, but something else entirely to lose because of the game crashing.

Duxxy3

I tried mapping the controls to a 360 pad and didn't like it. Tried it with the default keyboards controls and after the learning curve i found the demo to be hard but fair.

Top Bottom