• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wtf... I can play nearly half of my Steam games on my 13 years old PC!

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I brought my old PC that I left at my parents' house back home. I was initially thinking of extracting old photos etc. from it and throwing it away. Then I decided to install Linux(ubuntu) on it.

While experimenting to see if I could run my Steam library on Linux, I was surprised to find that many of my games run very well(~60fps) on this PC(specs: 1st gen i5 760, 6GB RAM, 6870 HD Radeon). As you might guess, most of them are indie games, but I had doubted they would even work.

I mentioned earlier that I was looking forward to the Steam home console, but now I'm not that excited anymore.

Here are the games that I tried(on Linux);

Cuphead, Wasteland 2, Battle Brothers, Dead Cells, The Case of the Golden Idol, Civ 5, Lil Gator Game, Binding of Isaac, Pizza Tower, FTL, Into the Breach, Don't Starve, Dusk, Rogue Legacy 1/2, , Stardew Valley, Mount& Blade, Monster Train, Zero Sievert, Terraria, Wargroove, Slay the Spire, Spelunky 1(2 didn't work, because of Ram probably), Wizard of Legend, Hotline Miami 2, Shovel Knight, Salt and Sanctuary, OlliOlli 2, Owlboy, Katana Zero.

Vanquish, Bloodstained, 7 days to die didn't work. I didn't try Xcom 2 but it will probably work on it.

Linux gaming is indeed real. Even without Vulkan, Proton is doing a great job. Some of them are native Linux games even.

TLDR: Don't build an expensive PC just for indie games. Try Linux, it's great.

HL3.exe

I still use a 2014 (back then) high-end CPU, with a modern RTX 3070 and i'm blown away how well in still plays modern AAA games. I recently tried Ratchet and Clank on PC just as a test, the big next gen only title, but it runs great with DF's optimized settings, 1440p at 60. Same goes for Alan Wake 2 (using PS5 equivalent settings)

That CPU stagnation is real guys. Think about it: when you go back another 10 years (2014 -> 2004) you could never run modern games well from 2014 on a 2004 CPU.

Last edited:

Papa_Wisdom

I’m still really impressed with what my alpha r2 is capable of.

I packed it away a couple of months ago after I was having problems with the fans not spinning up on my 1660 super In the amp and eventually gave up as I was moving house anyway.

Got it back up and running this past week or so, updated yuzu, and I’m getting pretty much consistent 30/ 60fps in most games.

Even got resi evil 2 remake and ff 7 remake running with pretty high settings.

Convinced me to upgrade the cpu to a full 6700k, going to get a new ssd as my 1tb is pretty much full now.

Emulation wise I’ve got
Saturn
Dreamcast
Naomi
Model 2
Model 3
Daytona 3
N64
GameCube
Wii
Wii u
Switch
Ps2

All running upscaled in full speed.

Add on top of that a range of pc games from red alert 2 / yuris revenge all the way up to resi evil 2 remake.

It’s made me fall in love with pc gaming again tbh.

Last edited:

Crayon

If you aren't going to zip-flop-bang and switch, linux is nice for secondary computers around the house because it's very low manintenance.

And yes it's wild how slow of a pc you can have and still get a ton of gaming done. If you busted me down to a dusty laptop to play all my games on, I'd be dissapointed for like like 2 days then get to gaming.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
That CPU stagnation is real guys. Think about it: when you go back another 10 years (2014 -> 2004) you could never run modern games well from 2014 on a 2004 CPU
Yes, that's a valid observation. There used to be a concept of a 'next-gen PC' where if you didn't have certain new features, games wouldn't even run. I particularly remember the Shader 3.0 issue with GPUs. In this PC, even though my graphics card doesn't support newer technologies like Vulkan, I can still play the latest games. It's awesome.

Dazraell

I brought my old PC that I left at my parents' house back home. I was initially thinking of extracting old photos etc. from it and throwing it away. Then I decided to install Linux(ubuntu) on it.

While experimenting to see if I could run my Steam library on Linux, I was surprised to find that many of my games run very well(~60fps) on this PC(specs: 1st gen i5 760, 6GB RAM, 6870 HD Radeon). As you might guess, most of them are indie games, but I had doubted they would even work.

I mentioned earlier that I was looking forward to the Steam home console, but now I'm not that excited anymore.

Cuphead, Wasteland 2, Battle Brothers, Dead Cells, The Case of the Golden Idol, Civ 5, Lil Gator Game, Binding of Isaac, Pizza Tower, FTL, Into the Breach, Don't Starve, Dusk, Rogue Legacy 1/2, , Stardew Valley, Mount& Blade, Monster Train, Zero Sievert, Terraria, Wargroove, Slay the Spire, Spelunky 1(2 didn't work, because of Ram probably), Wizard of Legend, Hotline Miami 2, Shovel Knight, Salt and Sanctuary, OlliOlli 2, Owlboy, Katana Zero.

Vanquish, Bloodstained, 7 days to die didn't work. I didn't try Xcom 2 but it will probably work on it.

Linux gaming is indeed real. Even without Vulkan, Proton is doing a great job. Some of them are native Linux games even.

Valve does some really good things for Linux. I'm constantly surprised how well games run on Steam Deck. Honestly the only game that gave me headache so far was setting up Gwent: Rogue Mage, but after some tinkering it worked

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I still use a 2014 (back then) high-end CPU, with a modern RTX 3070 and i'm blown away how well in still plays modern AAA games. I recently tried Ratchet and Clank on PC just as a test, the big next gen only title, but it runs great with DF's optimized settings, 1440p at 60. Same goes for Alan Wake 2 (using PS5 equivalent settings)

That CPU stagnation is real guys. Think about it: when you go back another 10 years (2014 -> 2004) you could never run modern games well from 2014 on a 2004 CPU.
Early 2000s were something else when it comes to hardware anyway. Shit got better soooo fast. Remember buying the 5950 Ultra and like 1-2 years later it was obsolete.

Soodanim

Gold Member
I've been seeing posts about Linux being a good choice for older machines lately, it seems like an interesting way to go, especially with the performance gains over Windows. Some even get fully modded Bethesda games up and running.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
You can also just grab a Steam Deck for $279 refurbed, slap a Micro SD in it and buy a dock. But yes. Deck was my initial exposure to Linux gaming and it's 100% feasible.

Sure, if they work.

I just checked my Steam Library for compatibility with the Deck and of over 200 games, going back 20yrs, only 35 were listed as fully compatible.

..and the older the games, the less compatible they were.

Elysium44

Banned
True. CPUs haven't been bottlenecks for a while now. The focus these days is solely on GPUs.
If CPUs weren't bottlenecks then new CPUs wouldn't produce higher framerates than ones a few gens old, yet they do. Maybe you mean they aren't a significant bottleneck - even that isn't true though in some modern games.

Elysium44

Banned
Yeh the windows overhead is real.

All my old laptops now run Linux exclusively for non-gaming purposes, while the deck has shown me that it's now a viable modern gaming OS.

Windows is still faster for games IIRC. The overhead is overstated.

Dazraell

Sure, if they work.

I just checked my Steam Library for compatibility with the Deck and of over 200 games, going back 20yrs, only 35 were listed as fully compatible.

Thing is that most of the older games needs literally the same tricks as on modern PC to make them work. And here you also have an extra benefit of custom controller layouts that you don't on your pc. Some community layouts are very creative and make the games not only playable but also extremely enjoyable to play

The bigger issue I found so far is the small fonts. These ones are bigger problems as in most of cases you can't really fix it

HL3.exe

If CPUs weren't bottlenecks then new CPUs wouldn't produce higher framerates than ones a few gens old, yet they do. Maybe you mean they aren't a significant bottleneck - even that isn't true though in some modern games.
It's not to say the CPU's aren't progressing, but the brute force approach of having faster single-thread performance hasn't been a thing for some years, due to physical limitations. And game- logic and deterministic simulation complexity is rather dependant on single-thread IPC.

https%3A%2F%2Fsubstack-post-media.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F2059e188-16be-46b6-9f8c-0d571540b29f_789x498.png

See how Blue and Green have been stagnated for some time now compared to the 90's and 2000's. And those are the one's game-logic/simulation complexity rely on the most. Think about the massive jump between Half-life 1 -> 2, or San Andreas -> GTA IV, or the jump to Crysis (2007).

Recent CPU performance gains are only possible with solutions like die shrinkage, more cache and software being better optimized to utilize multiple cores. Even though multicore parallelization is used to offload work-load, but games are still dependent on one fast single-thread (the main game thread) to collect/synchronize all the workload in order.

That's mostly why older high-end (for it's time) CPUs can still run modern games just fine, because the inherent game-logic/simulation complexity hasn't leaped that much. GPU's on the other hand have seen massive leaps, and took over a lot of the non-deterministic tasks.

Last edited:

Elysium44

Banned
That's mostly why older high-end (for its time) CPUs can still run modern games just fine, because the inherent game-logic/simulation complexity hasn't leaped that much. GPU's on the other hand have seen massive leaps, and took over a lot of the non-deterministic tasks.

Define 'just fine'. Older CPUs are getting very long in the tooth especially when it comes to minimum framerates. When I went from an i7-4790K in 2020 (which I'd had since 2014) to a 10th gen i5-10600 (aka i7-8700) there were substantial improvements in games, with the same GPU. And I'd been using fast DDR3-2400 with the 4790K as well. Since 2020 CPUs have taken substantial strides forwards in single threaded performance as well. In 2020 it used to be said that all you needed for gaming was an i5-10400F and after that you were GPU limited. That did not stay true for long and nobody is saying that any more.

The reason why there are so many 30fps console games is the CPU is the limiting factor. This is why Starfield isn't 60fps. Not the GPU.

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

Yeah I can play 90% of my gog games on my 2016 laptop.

Spoiler alert - they are all old dos games or point and clicks and indies.

HL3.exe

Define 'just fine'.
On my 5930k, 6 physical cores, overclocked to 4,3ghz, i'll refer to my previous post:
I recently tried Ratchet and Clank on PC just as a test, the big next gen only title, but it runs great using DF's optimized settings, 1440p at stable 60. Same goes for Alan Wake 2 (using PS5 equivalent settings with some higher).

Of course i'm not denying the uptick in performance on newer CPU's, but i'm dissecting why big game-logic/simulation leaps haven't been happening like they used to. Part of that is the IPC stagnation. Making older CPUs way more viable then they used to.

Funny sidenote, is that the 5930k has equivalent throughput speeds as the 4700g (which the PS5 and XBOX uses)

Edit: Shockingly enough, I could also hit stable 60 (at 1440, console equivalent settings) easily in Starfield after the new patch (apart from that cowboys town which dipped in 55's, every other section is smooth sailing)

Last edited:

Kadve

Yea was kinda surprised myself how well some games ran on a HD 5770 i temporarily had to use recently (my normal GPU was in for repairs under warranty, only one i had laying around).

Last edited:

PopOS and ZorinOS are focused on gaming pretty much. The first is classic GNOME look with dock, the latter looks like a more slick Windows - both are focused on gaming drivers and Proton/Wine. Really nice Linux distros.

I'm on Ubuntu Budgie right now because I dig the look of DE, all the integrated applets, themes you can change with one click. Dunno how it would fair with gaming because I didn't try any games on it. And how well it handles the drivers. Also it has dock and is more lightweight than GNOME - and I really wanted a lightweight distro with dock. My favorite distro so far and I assume if stuff is working on regular Ubuntu then it should on Ubuntu Budgie flavor.

But ZorinOS may be more beginner friendly. Also it's a pretty nice transition from Windows to this distro. Some people may fear they won't handle a change.
hOp0uuC.png
TujHDWb.jpg
sEAhGG3.jpg

But it has all the stuff you need, looks pretty good almost like a Windows. Has Proton/Wine, graphics drivers and from what I've seen it installs all the apps with 1 click through GUI. So there's no need to get geeky with command line at all. I even run all the GOG Games no problem on Zorin. I think there was even an GOG app in the store. I thought it was pretty nice- and was impressed on an old laptop nonetheless... This thing just froze on Win7 and don't even mention Win10...

I remember playing Thief 1-3 no problem, TES Morrowind and Oblivion even. With just 1 click it was insane! I recommend all the people with old PCs and laptops to try Zorin first and be blown away by this DE. Transition is really simple.

Plus it has Night Light, a feature Win11 just implemented not so long ago and it's there for a long time.

Last edited:
PopOS and ZorinOS are focused on gaming pretty much.
The existance of yet another two forks is the reason why Linux and gaming will continue to have a hard time.
Never heard of either and why do they even exist? Having the two major forks, debian/redhat is already stupid for a rather small niche platform (outside of the server stuff), but building fork after fork after fork for every fucking purpose kills Linux for mainstream. There are a gazillion variants and maybe only Ubuntu can be recommended to average users because it has some beyond terminal install support in some instances outside of gaming the latter might work much better with steam. Building a distribution seems to be too easy, since every idiot seems to make one. smh
Valve flipflopping in what they choose as their foundation shows that even on that level more than one thing seems to be possible and it is hard to decide which is better. Everyone doing a little work here and there but universal code barely possible and much work is seemingly done for almost no one. Wasn't that a critique to Ubuntu, them doing stuff incompatible with the rest? Forks might not do anything just tinker with the optics. Pure bullshit. Thinking a gaming OS is even required is weird, make a gaming mode for Ubuntu, should be the course of action, which might in essence be the very same thing, but wouldn't be confusing af.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Yeah, some modern AAA games are hitting CPUs hard. But that’s mostly at high graphic presets. If you lower things down it’s not as bad.

Oh my main PC with Cyberpunk I dial things up to an extent (7800x3d and 3080ti).

But on my Steam Deck and Ally the game still runs fine just with much lesser res and effects of course.

GHG

Sure, if they work.

If you're only looking for games that are "deck verified" then you're doing it wrong. The vast majority of games will work without issue even without that verified tag.

What games do you think won't work?

Windows is still faster for games IIRC. The overhead is overstated.

Depends on which games you're talking about.

gd3y5sG.jpg
n5LQzWZ.jpg

Then there's the fact that generally using the OS on Linux is far easier/smoother on lower end hardware than it is on Windows.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
That's mostly why older high-end (for it's time) CPUs can still run modern games just fine, because the inherent game-logic/simulation complexity hasn't leaped that much.
Thanks Jaguar CPUs!

I wish we could see a return to physics based CPU demanding games which would actually push our processors, but alas the only 2 games that have even come close to that would be TOTK (a Switch Exclusive, btw) and Baldur's Gate 3. Which are also both the 2 prime GOTY candidates. Take note developers!!!!

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I booted up my old main gaming PC the other day..

I5
970 GTX
16 gig of ram
Windows 7..

And my god, I've been given time limits all over it. Windows 7 just shits the bed because 'reasons', UBIsoft games won't boot at all. Nvidia have utterly screwed over drivers, Steam ends on it in 48 days..

jg8P3zy.jpg

Personal computer my arse :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll

I5
970 GTX
16 gig of ram
Windows 7..

And my god, I've been given time limits all over it. Windows 7 just shits the bed because 'reasons', UBIsoft games won't boot at all. Nvidia have utterly screwed over drivers, Steam ends on it in 48 days..

jg8P3zy.jpg

Solution

Elysium44

Banned

I5
970 GTX
16 gig of ram
Windows 7..

jg8P3zy.jpg

Windows 7 is over 14 years old at this point. You won't get far using a 14 year old distro of Linux either.

Last edited:

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Windows 7 is over 14 years old at this point. You won't get far using a 14 year old distro of Linux either.
I'm going to be hip and get into this modern age stuff, that, and after retrying Arma 3 (Those mods look bloody awsome..) it reminded me how much I actually do miss pc gaming as a whole..

This old banger will just be my offline GOG and file mess around machine.

I'll stick with me Deck for the Linux stuff for now.

Kadve

If you're only looking for games that are "deck verified" then you're doing it wrong. The vast majority of games will work without issue even without that verified tag.

What games do you think won't work?

Depends on which games you're talking about.

gd3y5sG.jpg
n5LQzWZ.jpg

Then there's the fact that generally using the OS on Linux is far easier/smoother on lower end hardware than it is on Windows.
Arent devs specifically targeting the Steam Deck's hardware though? Obviously things are going to be more optimised when you don't have to encompass hundreds of different specs and configs.

GHG

Arent devs specifically targeting the Steam Deck's hardware though? Obviously things are going to be more optimised when you don't have to encompass hundreds of different specs and configs.

No.

It's treated just as any other gaming PC would be.

The existance of yet another two forks is the reason why Linux and gaming will continue to have a hard time.
Never heard of either and why do they even exist? Having the two major forks, debian/redhat is already stupid for a rather small niche platform (outside of the server stuff), but building fork after fork after fork for every fucking purpose kills Linux for mainstream. There are a gazillion variants and maybe only Ubuntu can be recommended to average users because it has some beyond terminal install support in some instances outside of gaming the latter might work much better with steam. Building a distribution seems to be too easy, since every idiot seems to make one. smh
Valve flipflopping in what they choose as their foundation shows that even on that level more than one thing seems to be possible and it is hard to decide which is better. Everyone doing a little work here and there but universal code barely possible and much work is seemingly done for almost no one. Wasn't that a critique to Ubuntu, them doing stuff incompatible with the rest? Forks might not do anything just tinker with the optics. Pure bullshit. Thinking a gaming OS is even required is weird, make a gaming mode for Ubuntu, should be the course of action, which might in essence be the very same thing, but wouldn't be confusing af.
Well two forks. Different visual aproaches.

And I think Pop_OS will be a true and only gaming Linux in a few years. The thing they do right now will shake the whole Linux community.

They are writing completely new DE. Ditching the Libraries, ditching GNOME - unnecessary code. So there won't be unnecessary callback to unused libraries or complex old code and it will be apparently pretty snappy.

They will only use Linux kernel from what I've read and the distro will be rewritten from scratch using Iced Rust language.

The focus is to ditch the spaghetti code of Linux which hasn't really changed since forever.

Rewrite it in modern language where code for visuals and functionality of programs is in separate layers lean and clean written up to modern standards.

The thing is they were tired of GNOME usage and certification process for their distro.

They can even add compatibility layers for Windows, Mac and Linux - similarly to Proton/Wine from what I've seen. They had a test build OS under different name a while back and apparently it could run everything. Every app from every OS and of course it's own apps written natively.

It can be huge and I am eagerly following blogs and twitter for any updates.

Quote from the internets:
Iced is a great choice for a GUI library. It’s massively thread-pooled and uses the WGPU crate as a wrapper for Vulkan, DirectX 12, Metal and has an OpenGL fallback called GLow. It takes Rust up to its limits.
So yeah, true gaming OS in the making. From what I've read and seen. GNOME folks have a lot of hate for System76 for even attempting this kind of thing. And say they won't succeed, I for the other hand wish them the best.

It may be the lightest and snappiest gaming OS ever. And only true gaming Linux fork ever. It definitely will be its own thing for sure. We will see how big in a year or two.

And they could achieve what Valve couldn't. Seems promising and worth to follow for sure regardless of results.

They already ditched Ubuntu based distro and give minimal updates to 22.04 LTS. The next release of Pop_OS will be iced rust release which will create yet another fork... But maybe it will be huge and well maintained.

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
What do you suggest then? Newer ones seems to be Ubuntu derivations. What's difference between new ones and the 14(19?) years old, regularly updated Ubuntu?

Elysium44

Banned
What do you suggest then? Newer ones seems to be Ubuntu derivations. What's difference between new ones and the 14(19?) years old, regularly updated Ubuntu?

I'd suggest using Windows, not because I like Windows but because it's the lesser evil in terms of hassle. Linux isn't something most people should be using, there are no real benefits and lots of drawbacks.

DaGwaphics

Likely just because there wasn't that much of a CPU bump going from PS360 into X1/PS4. There was a decent jump this time around and you see that translating over to the PC space for the latest current-gen only titles.

Some people say the PS360 CPUs were actually stronger in some instances, who knows if that is true or not though (it's not like we can run benchmarks).

Last edited:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
I'd suggest using Windows, not because I like Windows but because it's the lesser evil in terms of hassle. Linux isn't something most people should be using, there are no real benefits and lots of drawbacks.
Yeah, Windows 10-11 performs pretty well on newer hardwares(I'm using it on my main PC). But in this particular case, he won't be able to use Windows 10 after 2025 and he probably can't use Windows 11 because of TPM compatibility issues so Linux seems to be the best choice for him, don't you think?

Arcane0ne

My nearly 10 years main pc is intel i5 4690k ,16 gb of ram,2 ssd and gtx 1650 super and continues working decently well. Ill keep this pc until 2030 or when explode.

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
you can though. Microsoft may not support it but the vast majority of apps will still be made with it in mind at least until 2030
Would discontinuation of Microsoft support lead to security vulnerabilities? For instance, how secure is it to use older Windows versions currently? Depending on that, I might consider installing Linux on my laptop with Windows 10 after 2025.

Hudo

I've changed my main system at home (where I do all my gaming on) to Linux as well after having spend one week with Windows 11. What a shitshow of an OS...

Ironically, even old-ass games that didn't work well on Win 10 and Win 11 worked quite well with Bottles on Linux.

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
And my god, I've been given time limits all over it. Windows 7 just shits the bed because 'reasons', UBIsoft games won't boot at all. Nvidia have utterly screwed over drivers, Steam ends on it in 48 days:messenger_tears_of_joy:
I think you can still upgrade to Win10 for free, don't even need to reinstall everything.

EDIT: It just ended September 2023. You had like 7years to upgrade. Everything would be working fine.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
I think you can still upgrade to Win10 for free, don't even need to reinstall everything.

EDIT: It just ended September 2023. You had like 7years to upgrade. Everything would be working fine.
Found that out the hard way :messenger_tears_of_joy:

That's what I get for leaving it in the corner whilst I play everything else..

Topher

Gold Member

This is funny. Just a few days ago I installed Arch Linux on my old HP Omen desktop. It doesn't have a GPU, just integrated graphics from the i7 7700, but fine for normal desktop use. I started getting curious about how it would perform as a gaming linux desktop so I bought a Radeon 7700 from Amazon. I was thinking of starting a thread to talk about it but.....here you are. lol

So what specs is your PC?

Top Bottom