• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Fox overclocked to run on Super FX 2 chip

I've always wondered if this would be possible.

I thought there was maybe something in the code that would prevent it from knowing the difference.

fernoca

That was nice..and damn, ignored that "he" was banned! And for "that".. XD

EDIT:
And the music/sounds brought some nice memories too. XD

Emitan

Or you can emulate it...

jk

I want to try this some time, but I don't want to ruin my copy of the game.

big_z

i dont really think the framerate improves like the video says. it just looks faster which gives the illusion of being slightly smoother.

if nintendo gives us a proper star fox 3 on wii U i wouldnt mind seeing the first two games remade in HD as a nice bonus.

teiresias

big_z said:
i dont really think the framerate improves like the video says. it just looks faster which gives the illusion of being slightly smoother.

if nintendo gives us a proper star fox 3 on wii U i wouldnt mind seeing the first two games remade in HD as a nice bonus.

Well, obviously it's rendering faster so the framerate has technically improved, but it's a different feel than if the game speed were to remain the same but benefit from increased framerate at the same game speed.

ElFly

This is amazing.

Kudos to the guy who did it.

Console overclocking seems to be a rare thing. The only other instance I've heard is overclocking a Sega Genesis, which makes some games run better and faster.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
It's been done before but looks best here.

Maybe it's the same guy.
He also did Stunt Race FX. So much better!

KevinCow

Banned
Why do people on Youtube insist on sticking a minute of slowly scrolling text at the beginning of their video instead of describing shit in the description.

Because that's what it's for. It's called the description. You're supposed to describe your video down there.

Sophia

Doesn't playing Star Fox on an inaccurate emulator achieve similar effects? I honestly thought it was one case of inaccuracy being useful. =P

KevinCow said:
Why do people on Youtube insist on sticking a minute of slowly scrolling text at the beginning of their video instead of describing shit in the description.

Because that's what it's for. It's called the description. You're supposed to describe your video down there.
I know, its almost as bad as intros filled with random gameplay and anime clips from unrelated games, backed with annoying music.

Foffy

Banned
Gosh, this makes the original speed the game runs at to look horrible.

I'm not someone who's particularly picky on framerates.

I know this is technically impressive, especially since this could work on a real SNES, but I wish I were personally more impressed. I was hoping for the same gameplay speed with a faster frame rate, not simply faster speed.
Marrshu said:
Doesn't playing Star Fox on an inaccurate emulator achieve similar effects? I honestly thought it was one case of inaccuracy being useful. =P
That's actually the reason why I dislike using the emulator to play Star Fox. Feels so unnatural... lol

I'd also love to see Star Fox 2 on a real SNES for the same reason. The timing for all the cutscenes (which Star Fox 2 seems very heavy in) all have messed up timing not in sync to the music because of the speed boost.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I really really really really want a good new Starfox game.

:-(

Utako

Banned
omg.kittens said:
I really really really really want a good new Starfox game.

:-(
Now I'm sad :(

How hard is it to make an awesome over-the-shoulder shmup with a dash of Rogue Squadron?

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a way to "overclock" emulators like Snes9x, Nestopia, Gens? Eg: emulate the machine with a CPU at a high clock than original, so there are no slowdowns

ramine said:
Is there a way to "overclock" emulators like Snes9x, Nestopia, Gens? Eg: emulate the machine with a CPU at a high clock than original, so there are no slowdowns
Nope, you get speedups rather than removing slowdowns - as in, the entire game runs faster, messing with the timings of things. It's because console games, particularly for older consoles, aren't designed to just run at any speed like PC games, where if you run on a faster PC it smoothes the framerate - they are designed only to run at the speed the system runs at, so if the system goes faster, the entire game goes faster.

BTW his mhz figures are wrong. The original Starfox ran on a Super FX 1, which ran at 11mhz, not 22mhz.

The Super FX 2 is the one that runs at 22mhz (which is what he's gotten Starfox to run at, not 27mhz)

Luigiv

Dreamwriter said:
Nope, you get speedups rather than removing slowdowns - as in, the entire game runs faster, messing with the timings of things. It's because console games, particularly for older consoles, aren't designed to just run at any speed like PC games, where if you run on a faster PC it smoothes the framerate - they are designed only to run at the speed the system runs at, so if the system goes faster, the entire game goes faster.
Edit: Actually I misread ramine's post, I thought he was asking if it were possible to achieve the same thing as the video in an emulator not If you could just eliminate slow down.

-MB-

Billychu said:
No amount of over clocking would make Stunt Race FX a good game.

Herecy!! Stunt Race FX was a great game, I spend ages on it shaving on miliseconds off track records and perfecting my rounds.
Only downside to the game itself is the fact that it's all in a small portion of the screen.

That's really awesome.

Though it did make me sad to remember Nintendo has yet to rerelease this fucker. I miss it dearly, it was one of the handful of games my dad would play with me.

Celine

Dreamwriter said:
Blade Runner and Outcast are example for PC of games that have troubles on faster CPU of modern days.

Top Bottom