• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

October 2011 NPD Predictions - closes November 7

Penguin

bigtroyjon said:
Conspiracy theorist says they delayed it because it's going to be a bad month and it's always best to release bad news after the business week is over on the east coast.

With so many major releases though?

Would be kind of odd, me thinks.

We shall see.

Penguin said:
Would be kind of odd, me thinks.
lol, that's why I said conspiracy theorist.
user_nat said:
That's what I'm thinking. Not like MS to stay quiet.
It's Friday afternoon, PR people may have already left for the weekend. Probably why Nintendo got their statement out early.

Seda

npd%20top10%20oct11.jpg

NPD's October 2011 sales report has been released, revealing just a one percent increase in total sales year-over-year, as the industry generated $1.08 billion compared to last October's $1.07 billion. Software grew three percent, increasing from $604.8 million to $621.3 million. Hardware saw slightly more growth than software, rising six percent from $279.9 million to $295 million. Accessories was the only category to dip somewhat, falling five percent from $142.4 million to $135.9 million.

Xbox 360 and top software like EA's Battlefield 3 and Warner Bros.' Batman: Arkham City were the main sales drivers. “Across hardware, software, and accessory new physical retail sales, the Xbox 360 platform showed dollar growth versus last October, as did the 3DS/DS platforms (when combined). Overall, the new physical retail channel saw a sales increase of $26 million over last October, driven primarily by the performance of new physical console software,” said NPD analyst Anita Frazier.

“Based on historical seasonality trends, new physical retail sales of video game hardware, software and accessories should come in flat to down by as much as 2% once full year sales are in,” she added.

Regarding hardware specifically, Frazier commented: “The Xbox 360 was the top-selling hardware platform for the month, realizing a unit sales increase of over 20% versus last October. The 3DS was the second best-selling hardware platform, with combined 3DS/DS sales up over 25% from last October.”

“On an average sales per week basis, October 2011 unit sales of 3DS, DS, PSP, Wii and Xbox 360 platforms all saw an increase over September 2011, which was a 5-week retail month (Oct'11 was a 4-week retail month),” she added without mentioning PS3.

NPD noted that Battlefield 3 sold through "just under" 2 million units across platforms, but Frazier remarked that she "would expect that there were notable sales that occurred via digital downloading as well,” and NPD's figures don't include digital. The other hot seller, Batman, sold through 1.5 million units across Xbox 360 and PS3.

Of course, October is just the start of what's going to be a very tightly packed holiday shopping season for the games business. November should be huge. “Between Uncharted 3, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, and Zelda: Skyward Sword, I expect November to be a huge month for new physical retail sales,” Frazier said.

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/xbox-360-battlefield-3-batman-drive-october-sales-to-108-billion/

Road

https://twitter.com/#!/aarongreenberg/status/135137837552111616

360 - 393k
PS3 - 240k~250k
WII - 250k
3DS - 250k
NDS - 180k

NavNucST3

aarongreenberg Aaron Greenberg
#NPD data shows Xbox 360 has biggest October ever, with market leading 44% share and 393K units sold, up 21% YOY.

UberTag

Top 3 were pretty much expected. Somewhat surprised to see RAGE ahead of Just Dance 3. Solid showing for Dark Souls as well.

The Xbox 360 hardware sales juggernaut continues to GROW heading into Year 7. These numbers are CRAZY.

aarongreenberg Aaron Greenberg
#NPD data shows Xbox 360 has biggest October ever, with market leading 44% share and 393K units sold, up 21% YOY.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
...And in the end, the lack of PR was due to lazyness. Or because they're too busy in counting money. :)
Great October for 360.
...PS3 seems very low, a certain troll on a Italian board I know will basically ruin the lives of many people for this.
No, really. Low PS3.

Mpl90 said:
...And in the end, the lack of PR was due to lazyness. Or because they're too busy in counting money. :)
Great October for 360.
...PS3 seems very low, a certain troll on a Italian board I know will basically ruin the lives of many people for this.
No, really. Low PS3.

PS3 is flat YoY. 360 is up 21%.

Seda said:
Battlefield 3 - 2 million
Batman AC - 1.5 million
Rage - 550k

RAGE did alright in the end then! The first game who's general sales performance I've predicted wrongly all year! (I expected it to bomb)

UberTag

I can easily envision a scenario where Super Mario 3D Land fails to chart in November when it launches and yet makes numerous appearances in the Top 10 (along with Mario Kart 7) throughout much of 2012.

Mpl90

... But Nintendo said nearly 250k! 225k is NOT nearly!
225k is even lower than last year.
So, it had a worst fourth week than last year that eliminated the advantage of the first three weeks.

EDIT: Ah, it's at 250k. So, nothing. XD

Seda

user_nat said:
Would it really matter if someone else did?

no, my guess is they got caught off guard with the weird timing.

ill post it...give me a sec

EDIT: Got beat I guess :]

Elios83

So:

[360] 393K
[PS3] 250K
[3DS] 250K
[Wii]250k
[DS] 180K

Great month for the 360, PS3 flat yoy, Wii slightly better.
3DS did nice numbers but it's still not taking off.
Better than I expected numbers for the DS.
Overall it wasn't a really good month for my predictions :/

Edit: The link was wrong with Wii.

Mpl90

Elios83 said:
So:

[360] 393K
[PS3] 275K
[3DS] 250K
[Wii]225k
[DS] 180K

Great month for the 360, PS3 is slightly higher yoy, Wii slightly down.

Wii is at 250k. 225k was uncorrect.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Sorry to bring this one up again..

So Wii listed before 360 on Just Dance and PS3 first on Dark Souls. Complete coincidence right?

UberTag

OldJadedGamer said:
What were the hardware numbers in October 2010.
Last year's numbers:

Nintendo DS - 342k
Xbox 360 - 325k
PS3 - 250k
Wii - 232k
PSP - 75k

user_nat said:

So Wii listed before 360 on Just Dance and PS3 first on Dark Souls. Complete coincidence right?
You and I know this is no coincidence. But don't expect to get any official acknowledgement of the SKU order being relevant any time soon.

Road

user_nat said:

I think there has been confirmation it was actually in order.

user_nat said:

It's been standard NPD procedure for a while now. Largest contributing platform goes on the left and cascades downwards as it goes towards the right. So in this case, PS3 was the biggest platform for Dark Souls.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
Elios83 said:
So:

[360] 393K
[PS3] 250K
[3DS] 250K
[Wii]250k
[DS] 180K

Great month for the 360, PS3 flat yoy, Wii slightly better.

Edit: The link was wrong with Wii.

I really don't get it. I really expected the PS3 price drop to have a more lasting effect. Specially in a holiday month.

Top Bottom