• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony FiM Community |OT| We will love and tolerate the SHIT outta you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks to me like they're testing the waters. Will the Bronies buy the toys that they have been asking for? Well, here are some of them, so let's find out! I'm tempted to get the Nightmare Moon, actually...

Also Zecora is by herself because she's a different material. She glows in the dark, so she's being shown off specifically.

Well they add this to the show?!

Sciz

But it's all for entertainment and flair, you're supposed to get wrapped up in the show even if it's fake. Of course it's a load of bull. Like someone wouldn't go up to a wrestler who could proclaim that he can take on a bear and actually let loose a bear on him.

If bear wrestling were a valuable and important skill to society? No, you wouldn't intentionally set a bear on him, but you'd damn well expect him to be able to put up or shut up if one came around.

Sneak peak at Toy Fair toys.

424247_381668998517210_118429394841173_1690237_355485671_n.jpg

Wait, is this official?

Nightmare Moon looks really good, apart from the height. Wasnt she as big as Celestia?

Violet_0

Banned
hm, NM's size seem to be about right, it's the Celestia model that is way oversized (although I think that's because she's got a built-in speaker)

RD's mane looks, uhm, stylish

Psxphile

Also don't hype up episodes

Oh God, this. I hate it when people absolutely INSIST you'll love a specific episode of (insert show here) and it turns out to be undeserving of its hype. A perfectly acceptable, somewhat comedic episode of Fullmetal Alchemist was overhyped by the sub crowd when it was first airing on Adult Swim, and I was pissed when it wasn't as grand or epic as the fanboys made it out to be.

Being told what you're about to watch is THE BEST SHIT EVER and YOU'RE GOING TO LOVE IT can be detrimental to someone's enjoyment of a show. Please don't do this. I know that sounds like you can't say anything positive about the show at all, but that's not what I'm suggesting. Just don't fangush like it's better than the Second Coming. 'Cause it most likely won't be, and it leaves a terrible impression.

Except Sonic Rainboom, that shit's all right lol

Oh God, this. I hate it when people absolutely INSIST you'll love a specific episode of (insert show here) and it turns out to be undeserving of its hype. A perfectly acceptable, somewhat comedic episode of Fullmetal Alchemist was overhyped by the sub crowd when it was first airing on Adult Swim, and I was pissed when it wasn't as grand or epic as the fanboys made it out to be.
Original or Brotherhood?

Cheerilee

Excellent explanation but she's still a douche.

Magicians are famous for being douches. Everybody thinks David Copperfield is a douche. Supernatural had an episode titled "Criss Angel Is a Douche Bag". Harry Houdini probably would've been called a douche if the term was around back then. And Houdini's boasts were the stuff of legend. The Barnum and Bailey Circus called themselves "The Greatest Show on Earth" and Houdini sued them, because he claimed he was the greatest show on Earth.

But if one of these performers comes to town, and they're off the clock (show's over) and they're just trying to have something close to a normal life, and some kids light a building on fire with people inside because they want to see more magic, that magician is a hero when they run up and try (and fail) to put the fire out using normal means. The show persona doesn't define who these people are.

Perhaps Harry Houdini was irresponsible to give people the idea that you can handcuff someone and then drown them in a bathtub and it's easy for them to get out before they die. I guess Trixie needs to learn to say "Don't try this at home kiddies."

It is one thing to put on a show of magical prowess for the sake of entertainment. It is another thing to do so while proclaiming yourself to be the greatest of all time and also an accomplished monster slayer in a world inhabited by the D&D Monster Manual where that sort of thing is a serious concern.
Ponyville didn't seem to have seen an Ursa before and they live right next to them. Although Snips and Snails knew where to find one, so I guess Cheerilee warned them to stay clear. Book nerd Twilight never even heard of them before, and had to go look them up in that manual. Trixie picked a safely obscure specialty as her (fictional) claim to fame.

And Trixie obviously wasn't putting on a display of magical prowess, she was putting on a theatrical show, suggesting amazing magical prowess. Rarity and Applejack went in with the totally wrong idea, basically saying "Yeah yeah, stuff your presentation. Just get to the good part so I can leave." I was particularly disappointed with Rarity, since she's a performer too. She should know the value of presentation. Applejack was just being a hick (and Rainbow a follower).

She's a spy anyways, so I don't mind if she uses aliases.

*shrugs* I suppose. I mean, if I can get worked up over episode numberings, then I can sure empathize with the controversy over background pony nicknames.

Still, in this case I always preferred Lyra. Not that this one really matters to me...

...either way, toy. Awesome. Wonder if there'll be a Bon-Bon (or whatever her name is) to go with.

Not sure I'll buy it, though, even if it's a green pony toy, where green is by far my favorite color.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
But it's all for entertainment and flair, you're supposed to get wrapped up in the show even if it's fake. Of course it's a load of bull. Like someone wouldn't go up to a wrestler who could proclaim that he can take on a bear and actually let loose a bear on him.

Um... no they're not. Wtf where did you heard that.

I'm talking about wrestlers taking on bears. Wrestlers pretty much know and tell everyone everything is fake but they put off a good show enough for people to entertain them.

Trixie is just a jerkass who has a stupid fanbase to pander on. It's literally TVTrope's "Draco in Leather Pants" level of dumbness.

Um... no they're not. Wtf where did you heard that.

I'm talking about wrestlers taking on bears. Wrestlers pretty much know and tell everyone everything is fake but they put off a good show enough for people to entertain them.

Trixie is just a jerkass who has a stupid fanbase to pander on. It's literally TVTrope's "Draco in Leather Pants" level of dumbness.
Haha, she's clearly written to be a legitimate jerk, but I still like the interpretation because of the way events unfold. Though before the haters started to hate she was just doin' her thing and making a spectacle.

Sciz

Ponyville didn't seem to have seen an Ursa before and they live right next to them. Although Snips and Snails knew where to find one, so I guess Cheerilee warned them to stay clear. Book nerd Twilight never even heard of them before, and had to go look them up in that manual. Trixie picked a safely obscure specialty as her (fictional) claim to fame.

If anything, she picked the Ursa because it was all but fictional and no one could plausibly call her out on it the way they could with any of the other horrors they deal with on a weekly basis. Hydra? Giant squid? Massive, rock-devouring eels? Ponyville has every horror in the book within walking distance. If she picked anything anyone might actually know, she would run the risk of being asked to deal with it. And when Twilight did beat the Ursa? Enormous amounts of respect from everypony in the vicinity except Trixie, who couldn't stop being a jerkass long enough to have any gratitude for having her life saved.

Also, no one blinked an eye at the claim that there was a monster attacking Hoofington, only at the lack of proof that she beat it.

Monster fighting is serious business. Maybe not a profession, but having that sort of ability is not a trivial claim.

And Trixie obviously wasn't putting on a display of magical prowess, she was putting on a theatrical show, suggesting amazing magical prowess.

Trixie said:
Hah! You think you're better than the Great and Powerful Trixie? You think you have more magical talent? Well, come on, show Trixie what you've got. Show us all.

Suggesting. Sure. She had talent, and she wanted to make sure everyone knew it. She didn't have an act to demonstrate her own abilities, but a series of challenges to prove it. That's not theatre.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Haha, she's clearly written to be a legitimate jerk, but I still like the interpretation because of the way events unfold. Though before the haters started to hate she was just doin' her thing and making a spectacle.

In any case it's one of the beefs I have with fanon. Essentially anything that sheds sympathy on characters that are definitely meant to be jerkasses and/or psychopaths.

*shudders at Joker shit*

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Just watched episode 7 with the Dragon. It was a good one. I'm starting to like Pinkie more. She's funny. Also, Fluttershy is hilarious. The squeaking gets me everytime. Dragon was cool looking. I liked when Rainbow kicked in the face. Crazy fuck! Lol Probably gonna watch 8 tomorrow.

Cheerilee

And when Twilight did beat the Ursa? Enormous amounts of respect from everypony in the vicinity except Trixie, who couldn't stop being a jerkass long enough to have any gratitude for having her life saved.
Trixie was in the crowd and having the same awed reactions as every other pony. There's no reason to assume she wasn't thankful to Twilight (and it's not like the others were thankful either, all they did was not-apologize for making Twilight feel like dirt), and even if Trixie wasn't thankful, what did she have to be thankful for? Twilight saved Ponyville buildings, not Trixie's stuff. Twilight didn't save Trixie's life, because Trixie could've just run away (which she didn't).

After the explanations were all said and done, Trixie left town her way, in character (why would she stay a minute longer, she had nothing left in a town full of haters who just wrecked all of her stuff and just moments earlier were continuing to badmouth her).

Suggesting. Sure. She had talent, and she wanted to make sure everyone knew it.
There's two main trains of thought on Trixie (that I'm aware of), one is that she's an egotistical narcissist who travels around to let ponies bask in her glory because it feeds her ego, and the other is that she's a genuine traveling performer. We can't tell which because Rarity started wrecking the show after one line came out of Trixie's mouth.

If you see a strongman in a carnival, they're often claimed as the strongest people in the world, and they're fakes. They pick up barbells falsely marked as 1000 lbs or whatever. It's part of the show. You're supposed to go with it and enjoy the show. And if you try to heckle them and challenge them to arm wrestling or whatever, you'll find that they're actually really strong people, and their barbells are actually really heavy. They're just not 1000 lbs heavy. That part is show.

This episode basically involved dropping a Honda Civic on someone, because you want to see the strongman pick it up. And the strongman runs over and tries to help, because it's an emergency and he'll do anything he can to try and help, but it's too heavy for him. Oh noes, he's a fraud. He needed a crane operator's assistance to lift a puny car. Let's run him out of town. Bunch of hicks.

She didn't have an act to demonstrate her own abilities, but a series of challenges to prove it. That's not theatre.
But she did have an act. She told a fictional story with a neon lightshow and was performing simple magic tricks on stage. Three ponies (and Spike) in the front row were bitching and wouldn't shut up, and one of them actually started booing her and rushing the stage. She did what any good performer does when they're getting heckled, and she improvised. She worked her detractors into the show, managed to get some pretty good performances out of them, and still managed to outshine them.

Trixie: Watch in awe as the great and powerful Trixie performs the most spectacular feats of magic ever witnessed by pony eyes!
[show begins]
Rarity acting pissed: My my my, what boasting.
Twilight: There's nothing wrong with being talented, is there?
Applejack acting pissed: Nothing at all. 'ceptin when someone goes around showing it off like a school filly with fancy new ribbons.
Rarity acting pissed: Just because one has the ability to perform lots of magic does not make one better than the rest of us.
Rainbow Dash: Especially when you've got me around being better than the rest of us. I mean, yeah, magic schmagic. Boo!

[Trixie stops the show and strongly hints that they should shut their traps.]
[show continues]
[Rainbow Dash charges the freaking stage and gets in Trixie's face, stopping the show again]
[Trixie moves ahead to the prearranged lightshow storytime]
[Spike's still heckling and Rarity/Applejack look like they want to kick her ass for no reason]
[Trixie stops the show, confronts her hecklers, eggs them into making three great performances, and responds with three better performances, which shuts them up long enough for the show to end.]

Twilight: I know how much you hated Trixie showing off with her magic tricks, and I just thought...
Rainbow Dash: Whoa whoa whoa, magic's got nothing to do with it. Trixie's just a loudmouth.
Rarity: Most unpleasant.
Applejack: All hat and no kettle. (?)

These three ponies challenged Trixie (although Trixie invited challenges, knowing they'd be the ones to bite) and they got their flanks handed to them. And none of them did a thing to save the town, Trixie at least stalled the Ursa, which gave Twilight time to arrive before more major property damage. But they still think that Trixie is all bark and no bite. Trixie has more bite than any of them do, just not as much as Twilight.

If Rarity thinks Trixie's unpleasant, maybe it's because she tried to ruin Trixie's show. I suspect that Rarity was jealous because she's what Twilight described at the start of the episode, a Unicorn with just a few abilities that help her with her work. Well guess what? Trixie is that too. Applejack was jealous because she's always jealous, and Rainbow Dash (with her conflicting stories) was bullying because she wanted to fit in.

Curiocity

WIP for my painting class. The directive was to paint a dessert in a delicious style...as far as I'm concerned that means only one thing. Sorry for the crappo image quality.

UX6T6l.jpg

Theonik

WIP for my painting class. The directive was to paint a dessert in a delicious style...as far as I'm concerned that means only one thing. Sorry for the crappo image quality.

http://i.imgur.com/UX6T6l.jpg
Haha nice! Tell us how your teacher reacted afterwards.

apparently they just didn't like it (the winners were picked by a jury)
-_-' Why bother having a vote in the first place then...

Also: DJ-P0N3 needs a wobblehead.
A Vinyl Scratch bobble-head would be quite nice actually. Now it needs to happen.

$200

Banned
So um, I've recently got into this series (thanks to Jappleack) although all I have watched are small clips on Youtube and parodies.

What are some legitimate ways to watch all the episodes in Australia (Hubworld is US only)? There's a DVD on Amazon but with only 4 or 5 episodes. Is there one for the full complete season 1?

Orcastar

So um, I've recently got into this series (thanks to Jappleack) although all I have watched are small clips on Youtube and parodies.

What are some legitimate ways to watch all the episodes in Australia (Hubworld is US only)? There's a DVD on Amazon but with only 4 or 5 episodes. Is there one for the full complete season 1?
The only legitimate way to purchase all the episodes at the moment is iTunes, but I'm not sure if they're available Down Under. That DVD is the only one currently planned and Shout! Factory, the company that has DVD rights to the series in the US, has said they have no plans for full season sets because according to their data there's not enough demand for them. However, all the episodes are available on Youtube. Hasbro has taken some of them down, but there's so many copies of each episode that it hardly matters.

Also:
6WAlS.gif

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
has hasbro actually taken them down? to my knowledge they've only taken down the HD torrent archive and the youtube requests were trolls.

$200

Banned
The only legitimate way to purchase the all the episodes at the moment is iTunes, but I'm not sure if they're available Down Under. That DVD is the only one currently planned and Shout! Factory, the company that has DVD rights to the series in the US, has said they have no plans for full season sets because according to their data there's not enough demand for them. However, all the episodes are available on Youtube. Hasbro has taken some of them down, but there's so many copies of each episode that it hardly matters.

Eww I hate iTunes. Guess I will watch them on Youtube for now. They will get my money when they release the DVDs.

Cheerilee

has hasbro actually taken them down? to my knowledge they've only taken down the HD torrent archive and the youtube requests were trolls.

Nah, there was a story on Equestria Daily recently about how they talked to Hasbro, and they really were behind the takedown requests. Hasbro accidentally derped and identified themselves to Youtube as "Habsro", which made some people think it was trolls again, but it was really Hasbro.

It's also been said that Hasbro doesn't currently want to send takedowns and rock the brony boat, but they're legally required to protect their IP otherwise they'll lose the rights to it.

Edit: Right now their offensive strategy is to fire warning shots. When they learn of you, they let you know they're about to raid, you clear out, they raid, they find nothing. They warned Ponyarchive, but Ponyarchive refused to move.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"

UX6T6l.jpg

This is awesome.

But it took me a second to recognize Rainbow Dash without her namesake rainbow.

tafer

Nah, there was a story on Equestria Daily recently about how they talked to Hasbro, and they really were behind the takedown requests. Hasbro accidentally derped and identified themselves to Youtube as "Habsro", which made some people think it was trolls again, but it was really Hasbro.

It's also been said that Hasbro doesn't currently want to send takedowns and rock the brony boat, but they're legally required to protect their IP otherwise they'll lose the rights to it.

Edit: Right now their offensive strategy is to fire warning shots. When they learn of you, they let you know they're about to raid, you clear out, they raid, they find nothing. They warned Ponyarchive, but Ponyarchive refused to move.

As a guy who finds this fandom extremely interesting, and potentially important, this is a mandatory read about it:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/danielnyegriffiths/2012/01/19/skyrim-ponies-sopa/

And the full interview with Linda Steiner, Senior Vice President, Preschool and Girls at Hasbro Studio (linked in the article)
http://www.danielnyegriffiths.org/2011/09/friendship-is-money-ponies-internet.html

Sciz

pony overanalysis, go

Trixie was in the crowd and having the same awed reactions as every other pony. There's no reason to assume she wasn't thankful to Twilight (and it's not like the others were thankful either, all they did was not-apologize for making Twilight feel like dirt), and even if Trixie wasn't thankful, what did she have to be thankful for? Twilight saved Ponyville buildings, not Trixie's stuff. Twilight didn't save Trixie's life, because Trixie could've just run away (which she didn't).

After the explanations were all said and done, Trixie left town her way, in character (why would she stay a minute longer, she had nothing left in a town full of haters who just wrecked all of her stuff and just moments earlier were continuing to badmouth her).

The only reason it didn't literally fall on her is because Twilight caught it. And the only reason she was in that position was because Snips and Snails are morons and she had to make a desperate attempt to prove her story or be exposed as a fraud. Her options were down to "fight the life-threatening monster to save face" and "admit it was all a story" and she chose to fight. And in the end, after having her credibility destroyed, she stuck to the story anyway. That's not even sane, much less plausible as a mere act.

There's two main trains of thought on Trixie (that I'm aware of), one is that she's an egotistical narcissist who travels around to let ponies bask in her glory because it feeds her ego, and the other is that she's a genuine traveling performer. We can't tell which because Rarity started wrecking the show after one line came out of Trixie's mouth.

Given that she doesn't appear to have a business model (no ticket sales, no donation intake, no merchandise), I can only see one of those being a possibility.

*strongman, etc*

Already addressed this. The strongman/wrestler analogy doesn't hold up because those characters have zero serious real-world importance. Equestria is a land that has magic, has monsters, and presumably has powerful magic-users who defeat powerful monsters. If you claim to be able to defuse bombs in the middle of a war zone and some idiot hands you a live one to see it happen, well, shit. The idiot's still an idiot, but why would he expect that you were lying?

And Trixie went and cut the red wire to save face instead of running like hell.

But she did have an act. She told a fictional story with a neon lightshow and was performing simple magic tricks on stage. Three ponies (and Spike) in the front row were bitching and wouldn't shut up, and one of them actually started booing her and rushing the stage. She did what any good performer does when they're getting heckled, and she improvised. She worked her detractors into the show, managed to get some pretty good performances out of them, and still managed to outshine them.

I'm less hung up on this one since the main cast was holding the conflict ball something fierce and it's at least framed as a stage show, but the emphasis seems unquestionably on "isn't Trixie fantastic?" over "isn't this entertaining?" The audience is dismayed or silent as much as they cheer and laugh, and even the background characters aren't smiling all the time.

ruby_onix laying the smackdown on all the sad Trixie haters.

Meh. You want a moderately sympathetic character, vouch for Gilda. I was expecting that episode to be a "just because your friends have other friends doesn't mean they don't like you too" episode, and then it veered in a completely different direction out of nowhere. The only reason she doesn't come off as the victim is the scene where she's explicitly written to be a bitch, in between the one where she's trying to get some personal time with an old friend and the one where she suffers a series of increasingly mean-spirited jokes. I came out of that not liking anyone involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom