• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best graphics on PS2?

kingkaiser

God damnit, this is how a hd-remix of FF12 could look like

ff121.jpg

ff122.jpg

ff123.jpg

ff124.jpg

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU Square-Enix!

I'd say a tie between:

Technical:
SH
GoW II
Black
SotC
Burnout

FF XII HD shots are really godo too, but I think on PS2 wasn't that good; but maybe because I didn't like the game, I don't remember it looking as good as it actually was

Artistically, there were so many so good, even FF X had many extra gorgeous scenes.

Yasae

Banned
FF XII HD shots are really godo too, but I think on PS2 wasn't that good.
It really wasn't. 640X480 original resolution.. And it was a good looking game at that size, but not great. PCSX2 has uncovered how nice it really is.

I've also seen some posters saying it looks this gen. Nah.

Not sure how expensive these are, but backwards compatible PS3s do a great job of upscaling 480i titles. If you can find one of the older PS3s for cheap, it might be worth it if playing PS2 games is important to you.

i have a backwards compatible PS3. It actually does a worse job than the xploder does- (black borders aside).

probably because the PS3 is upscaling a 480i signal (as a good tv would do), whereas the xploder uses some kind of hack that forces the ps2 gpu to output the game in 480p/576p/720p natively.

It doesn't work for all games (which is probably why the ps3 doesn't do this) but when it does, you end up with a "clean" image, instead of one that looks slightly blurry from upscaling.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It really wasn't. 640X480 original resolution.. And it was a good looking game at that size, but not great. PCSX2 has uncovered how nice it really is.

I've also seen some posters saying it looks this gen. Nah.

The character models are. They animate better than the characters in many major RPGs.

The character models are. They animate better than the characters in many major RPGs.

I had kind of forgotten about this. one of the reasons i'm as fond of XII as i am is that the cast doesn't move like they're out of a saturday morning anime- wild gesticulations, mugging for the camera, etc.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Onimusha 3 CG intro video. loved these games for the art. I think the visuals peaked at Onimusha 2

They completely lost that art style in Onimusha Dawn of Dream, what a huge bad change, hell the game itself was not really Onimusha.

As for your screens of Onimusha 2, well pre-rendered backgrounds help a lot I guess.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I feel like the character models are of a really high caliber, so much so that they don't have a lot of flexibility in the way their face animates. Lots of dead eyes and slate faces. Its pretty common for characters to not seem to have any focus on each other while they interact.

I'm surprised I don't see more praise of Dragon Quest VIII in here. It's really a phenomenal looking game. Hits a good spot between attention to detail and scope that has always impressed me.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Then you're completely wrong. The PS2 version has a few minor dips on occasion but it doesn't run at 30 fps most of the time, like you claimed.

Yeah, 30fps most of the time is probably an over exaggeration on my part. But it does dip pretty severely fairly often. Even the fabled rain scenes, from what I remember.

[edit]Unless this was only the PAL version.

I always thought MGS2 looked better than MGS3. I guess it's because of the different settings: MGS2 has a very clean-looking setting whereas MGS3 is a bit messy when it comes to textures.

AppleBlade

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time was definitely impressive when it was released. I still remember going into first person view and admiring the details in the world. Riddick on Xbox and Metroid Prime on GC I think were the two biggest graphical highlights from last gen for me.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
The original trailers for SH4 made me think that would be the best looking game ever on PS2. The Room of Angel trailer was so incredible.

Even though other games ended up surpassing it, MGS2 at the time of release was simply mind boggling.

Didn't really get into God of War until the 360 came out, so by that time I wasn't as impressed even though for a PS2 game it was simply amazing.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I want a HD remake of FFXII more than a new FF game.

I generally liked FF XIII and the demo for XIII-2 (haven't started the full game yet), but yeah, I'd rather have FF XII HD than a new FF.

so does black,it was a terrible game after the awesome opening level

The first level was awesome. Once you got to level 2, the one in the forest, the game just turned to shit.

Special J

Banned
whats so great about jak3? art design looks fairly bad, there are games with much more detailed characters, better enviroments and hides low poly models much better.

these are the best shots i could find and find them pretty underwhelming

Fezan

Since this is a 'best looking game' I have to respectfully disagree regarding Jak 3 - it may be a fun game / good game etc., but far from the best looking that the PS2 had to offer. Same with PoP.

it is when you play it!
Animation Particle effects and things which you would think were never possible on ps2.
when i first time played in 2008 i had no problem playing it.its hd version can easily stand there with next-gen games and people will mistake it for hd console game

Chamber

love on your sleeve
MGS3 is fresh in my mind due to the HD collection. That game is absolutely stunning in certain spots.

Can't wait to see ZOE2 again later this year.

Top Bottom