• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best graphics on PS2?

ScOULaris

He said artistic or technical.

Next time I'll be sure to pick a game you like.
But that game isn't impressive on a technical or artistic level, graphically. My opinion of the game itself has nothing to do with me questioning whether or not you were being serious.

Kingdom Hearts II especially would look wonderful in a HD collection.

sparrowkingdomhearts.jpg

kingdomheartstron.jpg

kingdom-hearts-ii2.jpg

kingdom-hearts-ii.jpg

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I would say Jak 3 as well. Yes it had some screen tearing but the game was just gorgeous. I really miss those characters.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Champions of Norrath/Return To Arms

I still play them a little bit today. They look fantastic. Can't find a decent screenie or video tho.

CTE

But that game isn't impressive on a technical or artistic level, graphically. My opinion of the game itself has nothing to do with me questioning whether or not you were being serious.

I liked the game and the way it felt. I thought it was good artistically. I'm not going to come into a thread and pick a game many have already picked like GOW series or Black. I'll pick a lesser known game I liked to give it some exposure.

If you want the best technical game on the PS2, the OP already answered.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I really don't like how brown most of FF XII is.

This is especially funny considering how much I like how MGS 3 looks and parts of that game are downright next gen levels of brown.

Ocaso

Another vote for Shadow of the Colossus from me. Not only were the Colossi themselves technical marvels with their faux fur-shading and self-shadowing, but the game engine was also doing tricks that shouldn't have been possible on the PS2, like HDR and motion-blur. The huge and seamless environment also impresses. It even ran in 480p widescreen. Sure, the framerate suffered, but it managed to wow me like nothing else on the system regardless.

first thought was GOW2, but then i remembered the framerate being wonky and the overall IQ seems to take a step back in favor of neato effects.

probably MGS3.

FFXII is nice, but you really have to play it on PCSX2 to see everything (like in that 1440xW/e pic above.) Half the details are not clear on regular ps2.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Goddamn. The only HD collection we need is the only one we will never get.

Fuck Square.

Lots of individual games have very impressive uses of the PS2 to create approximations of effects now common place.

Silent Hill 3 has very impressive lighting and texture work. Equal parts artistry and technical mastery. SotC using an approximation of modern light scattering, and a similar approach to fur shading that Rare took on the GCN, but I'd wager infinitely harder without a dedicated pixel shader; fixed-function or otherwise.

Hell that Transformers game that came late in the PS2's life impressed the hell out of me. Pushing triangles and transparencies out the poomaker while retaining serviceable image quality and framerate.

That system had such an esoteric way of solving problems hardware manufacturers were already using dedicated hardware to achieve, but you can't argue with the end result.

I'm kinda shocked no one has mentioned Burnout Revenge yet. From a technical perspective it was amazing for that hardware. 60fps, incredible speeds, great lighting effects and bloom on the cars, no screen tearing, 480p and widescreen.

Pretty much all the main entries have been named, but I thought I'd toss in an oddball pick.
Splashdown: Rides Gone Wild

I think on a technical level it fares pretty well.
Ah. I really wanted to love that game, but I do recall it's framerate being shaky, and that was a real buzz kill.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Due to it's art style Persona 3-4 are the only Ps2 games I've seen running that didn't immediately remind me ohhhh this is a last gen game.

Black/god of war may be more technically impressive, but all I can see is the downgrade from current gen when I see it running.

Transformers Armada was bonkers. The Amazon jungle level was essentially Far Cry running on the PS2. Though the rest of the game actually looked kind of crappy. They must have spent all of the development time designing the dense jungle environments.

Flavius

Pretty much all the main entries have been named, but I thought I'd toss in an oddball pick.

I think on a technical level it fares pretty well.

Don't know how it fares vs. the cream of the crop already mentioned, but I liked the way it looked...and goddamn did I play the hell out of it.

Shadow of the Colossus. Okami and Odin Sphere also had memorable graphics, but SotC blew me away.

And yet again I am reminded I need to play ZoE2...

WhyMe6

I was really impressed by Yakuza 2 in my recent playthrough. Artistically, definitely it and Okami stand out for me.

@that video, Black looks bloody amazing for a PS2 game. I've never played it. Criterion know how to do fancy tech though - Burnout 3 really impressed me back in the day.

Goddamn. The only HD collection we need is the only one we will never get.

Fuck Square.

As evidenced by FFX HD, they're going to release them all individually ; _ ;

Top Bottom