• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III |OT2| Queues Rise. Servers Fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

KorrZ

Getting torn a new asshole on Hell. I've been playing solo and in public games all day today and I've not once gotten past a pack of Champions/Elites without just pure attrition of dying 5-6 times. Invulnerable minions and Arcane powered is fucking bullshit.

Looks like I'm going to have to buy a whole new set of gear off the AH again. I don't even know how it's possible to play this game in hell without the AH. Bosses drop complete shit all.

bogg

Can anyone give me a hand with my monk?

0EX3b.jpg

I've been fine up to hell, I have about 33k hp.

There's absolutely nothing I can do against even the simplest of named champion packs. I simply die almost instantly and cannot kill anything.

I easily stood in Nightmare mode Diablos face and didn't even move while killing him, but now I cannot play at all and the game simply isn't fun.

I farmed up and spent a fortune to get my health and defense that high, but I still die immediately as I have no way to keep my health up.

The only way I can play the game right now is to use the spirit exploit with Sweeping wind and quickness. Otherwise I have no where near enough spirit to keep using abilities.

any advice? gear and build. Thank you.

You got more then enough HP, you should really use mystic ally earth, he can tank mobs plus he gives you 10% boost to your hp. Use the healing mantra with the protection boon rune, gives you 15% absorb of you total HP for 2 sec, and with the quickness strike + sweeping wind you can spam in and have the 15% absorb plus the big heal all the time, it also works on your ally so you will keep him alive as well.
And try getting a good cheap 1 hand weapon from the ah to boost your dps. A shield with a high % of bock chance is great too, even better if it got dex and vit on it.
I'm really tired right now so I hope that made sense.

Getting torn a new asshole on Hell. I've been playing solo and in public games all day today and I've not once gotten past a pack of Champions/Elites without just pure attrition of dying 5-6 times.
Yep, just got rick-rolled by an Illusions Mortar Fire Chain group of blues in the first dungeon on Hell. No, thanks. Seems I'll just be farming for
Staff of Herding
mats for now.

So GAF, Frost Arrow or Ball Lightning for Elemental Arrow? Ball Lightning has been great for me so far but I just got Frost Arrow and I like that it slows down the enemies as well as travelling faster than Ball Lightning. Which have you found more useful?

I like Frost Arrow personally. It moves faster, does more damage (per hit, so better for single target as well), and is still AoE, in addition to the slow that I appreciate on Nightmare. I am using a slow-centric build though.

Caltrops would be better if it was targetted, instead of on top of yourself.

Like Spike Trap? Yeah. Using Caltrops you have to run around like stupidly for a bit leaving a trail of them to give you distance. It's why I dropped it from my current build.

TylerD

Legendary item count = 2

Found it in cathedral level 1 inferno. Ran by the stupid waller, plagued, nightmarish, extra fast pack and the waller affix actually saved me from having to leave the game.

It's decent. :)

vCHvX.jpg

Thoraxes

Windows. If I surpass the minimum, the game should run at a playable framerate, right? Especially at the lowest possible settings. Isn't that what minimum implies?

For reference, my laptop can run SCII on Ultra, WoW at High, and I played through The Witcher II (and it looked and ran fine all the way through). Considering this, D2 shouldn't be unplayable, right?

For my original question, are there other settings that you can flag on and off in a config file?

Edit: Keep in mind, it ran just fine through the first two acts, but once I hit Act III the framerate started getting really bad and hasn't really recovered.

D3 is more GPU intensive as opposed to CPU intensive (which both WoW and SCII are).

There's some benchmarks out there on the popular sites.

Do we still need to be in General chat in order to avoid disconnects? Just wanna know since I've seen nothing but gold selling spam the last two days and I'd rather not be in chat with those tards.

Einbroch

Banned
After nine attempts on
Belial
on Inferno, disconnection at less than 5%. Error 37.

I'm done with this game. Blizzard needs to fix this shit.

Lunatic, you definitely have too much vitality. Definitely enough to scale it back for more intelligence or something. Your DPS is pretty low. For Wizards in higher difficulties I still stand by high damage low HP, since you can just use energy force.

Petrie

Banned
I see all you guys with these massive DPS, my WD is just starting Nightmare and only has 199. Am I doing something wrong?

Which stat should I focus on?

Loofy

0EX3b.jpg

There's absolutely nothing I can do against even the simplest of named champion packs. I simply die almost instantly and cannot kill anything.

I easily stood in Nightmare mode Diablos face and didn't even move while killing him, but now I cannot play at all and the game simply isn't fun.

I farmed up and spent a fortune to get my health and defense that high, but I still die immediately as I have no way to keep my health up.

The only way I can play the game right now is to use the spirit exploit with Sweeping wind and quickness. Otherwise I have no where near enough spirit to keep using abilities.

I was able to tank any blue and yellow mobs up until late Act 3 Hell using this.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38058419&postcount=13250

Depending on how fast you can get spirit you may be able to make some adjustments.

Sothpaw

I see all you guys with these massive DPS, my WD is just starting Nightmare and only has 199. Am I doing something wrong?

Yea you need to get more int gear, a higher dps weapon and socket your weapon with a red gem. 199 is super low for nightmare.

TheExodu5

Banned
The game is fun and plays well, but the balance and itemization just reeks of a team who doesn't know how the hell to design a Diablo successor. I really hope they drastically fix this over the coming weeks.

I was able to tank any blue and yellow mobs up until late Act 3 Hell using this.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=38058419&postcount=13250

Depending on how fast you can get spirit you may be able to make some adjustments.

The problem with that build is that it's broken.

It's currently an exploit. At least that is what I was told.

You gain way more spirit than you are supposed to use and virtually makes you invincible using a high hp build. I don't want to use that :(.

specifically this part;

Fists of Thunder>Quickening
Sweeping Wind>Inner Storm

*sigh* I want so bad to love the giant toad, but alas it seems worthless. I can't "fire" it on a specific enemy to get him to eat. I just throw him out and he seems to just randomly eat whoever he wants - most of the time. Sometimes he doesn't eat anybody. And he certainly doesn't have an appetite for elites. Me sad.

RS4-

The mob they're farming is right after a quest checkpoint, so their WD goes in and solos it to like 5% and they then join his game (with MF gear on) and kill it. They loot and repeat.

Thanks. Do you happen to remember which way point/quest that was involved?

I do have to work on my MF. Pretty sure I'm at 50 or something right now lol. And still on the end of act 1 hell. So it'll be nightmare for me

The game is fun and plays well, but the balance and itemization just reeks of a team who doesn't know how the hell to design a Diablo successor. I really hope they drastically fix this over the coming weeks.

Hate to say it, but I agree with this.

There are things it does incredibly well, far beyond my wildest expectations...but there are a few fundamental game systems which seem to have been designed by people with little design-level comprehension of the series. Itemization is the big one. Yeah, Diablo II vanilla itemization needed a lot of work...but that was over a decade ago, so it's an excuse that's already wearing thin. Back then they didn't get it fixed until the expansion pack, and that's two years out? I'm not gonna hang out waiting for better itemization for two years.

I'm finding it hard to believe that there's wizards my level doing 2K dmge, let alone 1K.

Currently I'm lvl 38 and my dmge is 743, is this the average dmge output for a wizard my level or no?

Int and +DMG. That DPS is pretty anemic for having completed normal. Geared right, people should be reaching that by about level 20.

Pretty much. I don't know how they let this stuff get through. What's intriguing is that it's balanced pretty much fine throughout Normal at least, and Nightmare as far as I've seen. It's Hell and Inferno where it's just stupid, so clearly they didn't test enough there. Not that I don't think they can fix it, but it seems like it was amateur hour over there when it came to balancing high-end items.

Sothpaw

The good thing is that D3 is a million times more fun than D2, and the itemization and balance can be fixed.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I gotta say, I hadn't been that hyped for this game before despite putting obscene amounts of time into D2. But during the install, the twangy, ominous guitar clicks in and I feel like I'm getting into D2 all over again suddenly. That ol' Blizzard shine is coming back into view.

Ah man. Somebody handicap me: about to play in 15 mins for the first time. What are the odds the servers ruin my euphoria? :p

So when do Pages of Training start dropping?!

I've got my Blacksmith and Jeweller as far as they can go before both need the pages to keep upgrading.

Just started Act IV Normal last night, but still haven't seen one yet. Is it just Nighmare on?

parasight

What's more important: Resists or Armor? I heard 30k HP is a sweet spot for Monks in Inferno (Acts 1 & 2), so now I'm just filling out armor and resists. Thank goodness for One With Everything.

nowai

Is 199 the DPS of your weapon or your damage listed in the character window? If it's your damage, that is painfully low and you should hit up the AH.

Here is my level 41 WD:

So when do Pages of Training start dropping?!

I've got my Blacksmith and Jeweller as far as they can go before both need the pages to keep upgrading.

Just started Act IV Normal last night, but still haven't seen one yet. Is it just Nighmare on?

They don't drop in normal.

I'm finding it hard to believe that there's wizards my level doing 2K dmge, let alone 1K.

Currently I'm lvl 38 and my dmge is 743, is this the average dmge output for a wizard my level or no?

I'm thinking that's not bad. It's hard to know when people throw numbers around if that's buffed or not. At 36, I'm at like 1.4k buffed, but gear is pretty heavily slanted towards +int right now... Also, glass cannon, magic weapon, etc.

The easiest way to really get it up is to go buy a good weapon off the AH every few levels. I just go search for something under 5k-ish, and pick out something with high dmg, and preferably +int. If nothing fits the bill come back later.

So as a wizard, should I be taking +dmg rings/amulets over +int where I can? I'm a bit confused as to how that actually works.

Nightmare and Beyond: Attack Speed, Intelligence, and Vitality. +Damage is nice early, but fades in effectiveness later.

Normal Mode: If you're in normal, +damage may up your DPS more than the others. I might recommend one ring +3-5 damage and one ring with Int/Vit/AS, with an amulet bringing Int and/or Vit.

You have to remember that even LoD itemization was saved by dupes post 1.10 (and still sucked). The best itemization balance the game has ever seen was the time between 1.09 and 1.10. Fuck farming high runes being the only shit worth anything :p It would have been complete hell without dupes, there would be like 3 or 4 enigmas TOTAL per ladder season.

It shouldn't be THAT hard to fix, but it will take some dedication to it on their part and also working a bit faster than they usually do.

First of all, they need a ladder. Items need to get reset every ladder and characters go out to non-ladder, gives more replayability too.

Second, they need to give white items more purpose, adding runewords that are restrained might also be nice, though this is more of an expansion thing. They have this whole gradation of white items that means.... what exactly? They should add an imbuing quest like D2 always had, doable once per difficulty.

Third and most obviously, buff legendaries and buff the more interesting mods, like % to freeze, % to diminish CC, and so on. Bigger more important versions of the cool mods. It seems like they're too worried about balance which is a WoW like mindset.

Won

Damn, Zombie Dogs die fast....and a 1 min cooldown. I still don't understand the concept behind that....

I got a legendary today on Inferno act 2.

ejXyl.jpg

Worse than blues by a mile.

Fuck you Blizzard. This is something only Square-Enix would do.

After getting one-hitted by the Butcher I will just asume he threw that thing away and replaced it with a blue item.

RDreamer

0EX3b.jpg

My build is far from perfect, but I'm usually one of the last ones standing against champions/elites, so I guess I'll give you some pointers, or at least explain what I'm doing.

Way of the Hundred Fists > Blazing Fists

This attacks fast as hell and builds up spirit.

Wave of Light > Explosive Light

I use this for crowd control. It pushes everything back. If I'm getting too surrounded I just use this and then I can pick off the crowd a bit more.

Seven Sided Strike > Several-Sided Strike

This is both a deadly attack, and it can and should be used for another reason. While the animation is going on you are pretty much invulnerable. Use it when you're in trouble.

Breath of Heaven > Blazing Wrath

This ups my attack, and it can also be used as a great heal. It's mostly used for its healing power.

Serenity > Peaceful Repose

This makes you invincible for 3 seconds. I use this to get to a good position against elites or when I'm in deep trouble. It also can be used as a heal. It really helps you dig in on the trenches.

Mantra of Healing > Circular Breathing

Keep this on overtime almost at all times. With circular breathing and fast attacking there is absolutely no excuse to not have this going every 3 seconds during a big fight. Your allies will thank you for it, too. Right when you're about to go into a fight, put this on, too.

Passives:
Transcendence
Seize the Initiative
Chant of Resonance

Basically my entire strategy is to attack fast, build up my spirit and keep healing. Spread out your attacks and strategize them for maximum healing. If you're full health don't use something like Serenity or Breath of Heaven. Hell, you may want to hesitate on Seven-Sided Strike, too (on my setup). Using Transcendence also means any move you do will heal you, so you need to space out those moves!

In your case I think my first tip would likely be use Seize the Initiative. If you have a bunch of dex, that should get you a ton of armor, too. And on that note, get more dex. Your DPS and dex seem kind of low to be in hell. You probably sacrificed it all for armor. You shouldn't really do that, in my opinion, especially if you do get Seize the Initiative. In that case Dex helps your armor, your dodge, and your attack damage. It's an insane stat.

Narag

Butcher down on Inferno. Looking forward to Act II.

I wonder how much damage you can do with a heavy 2h xbow +60% damage crit + passive +50% damage crit + sharpshooter... Already 160% if you can find a crazy xbow with a socket you have about 200%. Now use it with impale grievous wounds +100 % crit damage and you have insane damage !

A ton. I've seen impale hit for 60k with a 576 dps xbow.

Dahbomb

Turned off trilinear filtering (in Documents), checked Vsync and unchecked the 2 framerate boxes.

Game's performance is much better now.

Blizzard seem to have a long history of screwing up itemization in minor ways. WoW for example had a major problem with elemental damage being way under budgeted that existed well into TBC.

I'm a bit surprised they, once again, seem to have just blown it with the stat budgets. Root cause of current problems seems to be down to the fact that weapon dmg is under-budget, so it's possible to roll a blue with just weapon dmg that's better than stuff with other modifiers that are not as valuable.

That, and as FieryBalrog has mentioned, the other modifiers are way over-budget. Low-% freeze or whatever on hit is near totally worthless...

Jubbly

For everyone commenting on the blur in-game: D3 uses a post-process anti-aliasing technique (perhaps FXAA, and if not something very similar). Instead of anti-aliasing specific pixels, PP AA simply blurs the entire image. In terms of performance it's super low, but because of the game's zoomed out perspective detail gets absolutely annihilated (zoom in on your character and try to see the specific laces and buckles on a pair of boots).

People are pointing to Dark3D as an alternative, which is also a PP technique. Where it differentiates itself is that it's a configurable FXAA injector, allowing you to sharpen or apply other filters in addition to completely changing the color of the game.

If you don't mind the game's aesthetics I would instead suggest disabling the in-game PP AA and using proper multisample anti-aliasing. If you've got anything other than a decrepit system this shouldn't pose a problem performance-wise. This will give you true 1:1 texture clarity and provide a superior level of anti-aliasing (have found that textures with baked in specularity, like the Waypoints, look incredible without a PP blur applied).

On NVIDIA systems download NVIDIA Inspector: http://downloads.guru3d.com/NVIDIA-Inspector-1.94-download-2612.html

Then set up your profile as shown and disable the in-game AA option:

98Vgr.png

If you have performance issues with 8xQ MSAA simply lower the value.

On AMD systems, ask someone who has an AMD video card, because I haven't got a clue :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom