• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

21 pictures that will make you smile

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

We can just keep this thread alive. Much like the weight loss thread being a good place for people who need inspiration and encouragement, we can always bump this thread when we find something happy.

Or we can just start a mega thread.

D_Star

Neo Member
OK the pictures didn't get me, but the videos of the olympic guy whose dad was helping him finish and the overweight veteran who lost _alot_ of weight and regained his fitness through yoga did.

Goddamnit. Negative news can have such a depressing impact on our lives sometimes, it's good to see something as refreshing and positive as this.

Please post more and make this a permanent thread!

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
This is the greatest thread in NeoGAF history.

If even cashman is here then this is a good thread. I have a feeling this is a thread that can be good for everyone.

Also, if happy images are allowed, I would like to add this:
1jcPS.jpg

Great story:

Over 50 years ago, Liu, was a 19 years-old boy, fell in love with a 29 year-old widowed mother named Xu. At the time, it was unacceptable and immoral for a young man to love an older woman.

To avoid the market gossips, the couple decided to elope and lived in a cave in Jiangjin County in Southern ChongQing area.

love-ladder01.jpg

In the beginning, they had nothing, no electricity or even food. They had to eat grass and roots they found in the mountain, and Liu made a kerosene lamp that they used to lighten up their lives.

Starting the second year of living in the mountain, Liu began, and continue for over 50 years, to hand carve the steps so that his wife could get down the mountain easily.

252.jpg

A half century later in 2001, a group of adventures were exploring the forest, they surprisingly found the elderly couple and the over 6,000 stairs of hand carved ladder.

“My parents loved each other so much, they have lived in seclusion for over 50 years and never been apart a single day.” Liu MingSheng, one of their seven children said, “He hand carved more than 6,000 steps over the years for my mother’s convenience, although she doesn’t go down the mountain that much.”

love-ladder02.jpg

The couple had lived in peace for over 50 years until last week. Liu, now 72 years-old, returned from his daily farm work and collapsed. Xu sat and prayed with her husband as he passed away in her arms.

So in love with Xu, was Liu, that no one was able to release the grip he had on his wife’s hand even after he had passed away.

“You promised me you’ll take care of me, you’ll always be with me until the day I died, now you left before me, how am I going to live without you?” … …

Xu spent days softly repeating this sentence and touching her husband’s black coffin with tears rolling down her cheeks.

In 2006, their story had became one of the top 10 love stories from China, collected by the Chinese Women Weekly. The local government has decided to preserve the love ladder and the place they lived as a museum, so this love story can live forever.

Bittersweet.

bengraven

Christian the lion made me hug my cat.

What's really crazy is that the females are the hunters of the pride. And yet, two of Christian's females also accepted the men and were friendly.

OK the pictures didn't get me, but the videos of the olympic guy whose dad was helping him finish and the overweight veteran who lost _alot_ of weight and regained his fitness through yoga did.

Goddamnit. Negative news can have such a depressing impact on our lives sometimes, it's good to see something as refreshing and positive as this.

Please post more and make this a permanent thread!

What really kills me about this is that I'm the same weight he was when he started. But I'm 15 years younger than him and I'm not disabled. There really is no excuse and I need to let that sink in as much as possible. This guy needs to write a book I think.

bengraven

You think the person that made it, will actually give Karen the money?

The whole world knows about this and the guys name, business, etc is all over his page. If he doesn't give it to her, he'll be a hated person.

http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Cultur...aren-Klein-Donations-mount-to-400k-plus-video

Was just reading that article and I didn't see this part:

One student taunted: "You don't have a family because they all killed themselves because they don't want to be near you."

Klein's oldest son killed himself 10 years ago.

Yeah, you know what? Fuck those kids forever. Forever. I don't care if one of them grows up and cures cancer.

"The couple had lived in peace for over 50 years until last week. Liu, now 72 years-old, returned from his daily farm work and collapsed. Xu sat and prayed with her husband as he passed away in her arms.

So in love with Xu, was Liu, that no one was able to release the grip he had on his wife’s hand even after he had passed away."

Does this mean his body is still holding her hand??

bengraven

This is another inspirational weight loss video - what kills me about it is seeing his dad and brother crossing the line with him at the Ironman contest. It makes me happy.

I see the guy with his father next to him and I'm like "damn I wish my dad was that kind of guy" but then I look at my kid and go "but I can still be that kind of dad".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbXgQqbOoU

DISCLAIMER: here there be Coldplay's "Fix You".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64A_AJjj8M4

oldie but a goodie, rick & dick hoyt

Jesus, I haven't seen this.

I could easily see me wanting to do this for my kid. Ican't believe he's getting up there in age, but he keeps his body in 20 year old shape for his son's sake.

moojito

Okay, seems this is the feel good thread now, much needed too.

Here is a recent facourite of mine, Arthur.

Arthur Boorman was a disabled veteran of the Gulf War for 15 years, and was told by his doctors that he would never be able to walk on his own, ever again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

Seems a shame to bring the usual vitriol to such a happy place, so I'll just politely point out that this has already been posted, but it's the thought that counts so group hugs all round!

Dead Man

Seems a shame to bring the usual vitriol to such a happy place, so I'll just politely point out that this has already been posted, but it's the thought that counts so group hugs all round!

Doh, CTRL F' Arthur and got nothing. Oh well, watch it twice!!

bengraven

I don't want this great thread to die and I can't really find a picture. However, this is one of my favorite speeches from Charlie Chaplin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WibmcsEGLKo
Hopefully it has the same effect to put a smile on your face. :)

Yeah, I adore this video. The extended version of his speech is actually pretty cool, too, if you find it online. He keeps telling his love interest via the speech to look up and know that the world is going to be a better place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kbn-GjL6WLA&t=3m55s

Edit: ugh, that's missing where she suddenly breaks into a smile and you know that everything is going to be all right.

Also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6wRkzCW5qI&list=FLm27rD71Y7W4KF9rzdFVIxg&index=48&feature=plpp_video

and then

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCPZaX_foxU&feature=youtu.be

from the same guy, in case you're like me and in a shitload of trouble with your SO. ;)

Owensboro

I always loved this one from a softball game:
080430_home_run_WWCO.jpg

With two runners on base and a strike against her, Sara Tucholsky of Western Oregon University uncorked her best swing and did something she had never done, in high school or college. Her first home run cleared the center-field fence.

But it appeared to be the shortest of dreams come true when she missed first base, started back to tag it and collapsed with a knee injury.

She crawled back to first but could do no more. The first-base coach said she would be called out if her teammates tried to help her. Or, the umpire said, a pinch runner could be called in, and the homer would count as a single.

Then, members of the Central Washington University softball team stunned spectators by carrying Tucholsky around the bases Saturday so the three-run homer would count — an act that contributed to their own elimination from the playoffs.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/24392612/

jasonng

Reminds me of the story of Jason McElway, an autistic student, who was called into the game for the last quarter. The support of his team and his classmate was beyond ecstatic.

Video.

I don't have any pictures to share.

Yesterday, I went to buy a drink and the guy in front of me was taking quite a long time. It wasn't his fault, he just had a lot of items to buy. I waited patiently, even when people behind me started to get restless. I had nothing else to do, no point in being in a hurry. When the guy finally finished his purchases he offered to buy my drink because I had waited patiently!

I refused of course, but it was a very nice gesture and reminded me there are still nice people out there. I was so taken aback by the offer I felt rather embarrassed and felt my face go red. Doesn't help that I was actually thirsty and my dry throat made it difficult to talk.

At any rate, that was my simple (and probably of no value to anyone but me) story.

Edit: It seems there are a lot of people here who also get tired of the 24/7 negative news. So many, in fact that we could almost form a sub-community.....happyGAF?

I am with you for happyGAF, nice to see similar sentiments.

RJT

German keeper clapping at the goal his opponent had just scored (a great goal, btw):

48p8ar.gif

Thought it was a damn beautiful moment.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
It's not too late to make this a mainstay on GAF, guys! Every time I see a suicide thread, a death thread, a morbid news thread -- I want to see this bumped!

My contribution is old people laughing:

laughter.jpg

Still+in+Love+by+Henn%C3%BD+G.jpg

oldwoman_laughing_or_crying.jpg

laughing-old-lady-april-fool-day_49.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom