• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

the recent decade of anime is beautiful (lotta pics)

finalflame

Gold Member
Ctrl+F "Chobits". No results.

I'M OUT.

That's a lot of effort and a really nice OT though, thanks OP. Bookmarked for reading later when I have literally all the time in the world.

I also don't understand how Hunter x Hunter is only 2 starts on the suffering scale. The second Yorkshin starts, it's just suffering all around.

You managed to mention most of my favorites from this decade (Hellsing Ultimate, Fate/Zero, Madoka, JoJo) and only missed Yamato 2199.

But man, fuck the new Berserk movies. They look horrendous for most of the time, the character designs are hideous and they completely butcher the plot and atmosphere of Berserk. The 1997 series is far superior.

Ezalc

Psycho-Pass being on this list but Kids on the Slope isn't. Some big bullshit there OP. Fine list otherwise, though Tsuritama is also fun.

Gattsu25

Banned
But man, fuck the new Berserk movies. They look horrendous for most of the time, the character designs are hideous and they completely butcher the plot and atmosphere of Berserk. The 1997 series is far superior.
Let's not disparage the new Berserk character designs too much...

Old
hkjVlli.png

New

...oh :(

I also prefer the old show to the new movies.

Chariot

Sorry for the hyper long quotation post, I know that those look ugly and are hard to read. :<
This is some dedication OP. I see you didn't opt to put Gundam Build up...hey no prob.

No Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans...? I'm seeing a trend here.

Booooooo this man. Booooo
I had GBF in an earlier draft, but I didn't see any other Gundam series and felt weird writing about it, because I completely missed all the nods to the Gundam franchise. Best I can muster is "Co-op Mecha Beyblade." :(

Ok fine. Better? :p

Very weird ranking system or whatever.
It's not a ranking system. More or less fanservice doesn't make an anime inherently better, the points of interests are just indicators for aspects that I think interest people.

as someone who has watched very little recent stuff, most of what you listed seems super generic, at least visually, and i went through it at a relatively slow pace to see if something catches my attention
Well, this is certainly true. Maybe the title is a bit misleading, I chose all series for different virtues, not just the visual uniqueness. Some are quite the looker though.

For anyone curious, i´m just gonna drop this scene and this scene without context.
Haha. This was exactly how a friend of mine got me to be interested in Gintama, by showing me the toilet battle episode, although the amazing fight scenes from the first movie really got me.

OP can you add categories for "are there robots in this" and "do characters do that floating anime sweat drop thing"? As is this is the most useful anime review system I've ever seen (not joking) and I'm just looking to enhance it further.
Unfortunately I am feeling insecure when it comes to mecha, since I have seen very few series in that genre. I don't think I currently am able to give a fitting estimate.
I could work with the sweat drop. TV Tropes has a category named Manga Effects, I could do that.

Garden of Words man
I know, I know, the gifs look amazing, it's also on my watchlist.

Not a bad list, but where...

*F3 Kill La Kill*
KLK had a nice beginning, but it disappointed me, because the mid part seemed like Trigger was struggling to remember what to do with the story, the pacing was a mess.

Ouch, not at all. Do you also think the blood in Hellsing Ultimate looks fine? That CGI blood is just terrible.
No, I don't think the blood in Hellsing Ultimate looked fine, but I think Golden Age looked good. Most of the time. CGI anime are not yet there, but they're getting closer.

Also no mention of Penguindrum from the looks of it, so yeah, PENGUINDRUM!:p

This anime got really trippy (and quite screwed up) at times.XD
To my greatest shame I couldn't get me to like Penguindrum or Yuri Kuma Arashi. I know, a lot of people love them, but I left both head scratching early on.

*No Kokoro Connect, even though you mention it because of Sawashiro. :(
Now that's failure of mine if I ever seen one. I am going to add this as soon as possible.

No Valkyrie Drive : Mermaid?
Why?

Never watched any anime, just throwing some respect to all the work the OP did on this.
Thank you very much :)

ctrl + F Love Live! smh op, smh.
If there isn't Idolmaster in the OP, then there's no Love Live. Love Live was funny, but not that funny. Sorry, Love Live GAF :(

Just realized no Symphogear. Get your act together, Chariot.
I was only two episodes in and then a new season happened and I forgot :x
Maybe I watch some day.

nuh dud anime was best in the 90's

Jokes aside, nice list. Would add:

Aku no Hana
Casshern Sins
Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou
Durarara!!
Hanasaku Iroha
Higashi no Eden
Hitsugi no Chaika
shocking truth.
Hyouka
Kuuchuu Buranko
Love Lab
Mawaru Pengindrum
Mononoke
Nagi no Asukara
Nichijou
Spice and Wolf
Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru
Toradora!
Working!!

and some movies like Kotonoha ni Niwa and Colorful.
Most of those I still need to watch, but Eden of the East and Nagi no Asukara aren't in there because they disappointed me. The two movies killed my interest in EotE and Nagi no Asukara chickening out left me bleak. Could've been so much more.
Toradora and Spice and Wolf are worth some thoughts tho. Thank you!

great work OP, some new stuff I want to pick up.

Note : no Kids on the Slope ? It's great.

No Bakumatsu ?
Kids in the Slope was dropped by me, because of something with the romance and I never heard of that Bakumatsu anime before (I assume you're not talking about Bakumatsu Rock). Sounds interesting, maybe I give it a shot.

Ctrl+F "Chobits". No results.

I'M OUT.

That's a lot of effort and a really nice OT though, thanks OP. Bookmarked for reading later when I have literally all the time in the world.
Chobits was 2002, way below the cut.
I also didn't like it very much :(

I also don't understand how Hunter x Hunter is only 2 starts on the suffering scale. The second Yorkshin starts, it's just suffering all around.
Agreed, 2 is too few, I up it to 3, mainly because of Komugi and the things that happen in the Ant Arc. I didn't feel like Yorkshin was that much suffering.

Old

New

Wow, it really looked like that? My memory must be fooling me.
Time for a rewatch, I guess.

Wanderer5

To my greatest shame I couldn't get me to like Penguindrum or Yuri Kuma Arashi. I know, a lot of people love them, but I left both head scratching early on.

I actually didn't get into Yuri Kuma Arashi that much heh. Maybe I should give it another go, but I don't know. While it has some of the nice charm and insane-ness that Penguindrum has, it just didn't click with me. Like maybe the characters weren't as appealing as those in Penguindrum, which they became so just about right off the bat really. Probably the pacing too had issues so quickly for YKA.

Excellent work OP. Thank you so much for all the helpful summaries and info. Will definitely check out some of those in the near future.

However, I have to vehemently disagree with your throwaway comment about the original Fullmetal Alchemist. I think it is an absolute masterpiece in it's own way and should definitely be watched. Yes, Brotherhood is the canon, but the original series has a deliciously dark story that really unfolds in a unique way. Love both series equally for different reasons and I feel everyone should really watch them.

Fandangox

It's not a ranking system. More or less fanservice doesn't make an anime inherently better, the points of interests are just indicators for aspects that I think interest people.

That makes more sense, but at first I didn''t think it was that because the categories seem weirdly narrowed and specific.

Aku no Hana is a masterpiece, visually and in direction. People bashed the rotoscoping as ugly and stupid, but it's visually unique, consistent by frame, and beautifully smooth in animation.

Also, wow at those Berserk shots. I tend to feel like FMA: Brotherhood (like Berserk new) vs. FMA '03 (like Berserk old) is really similar to that in terms of wonky frames and inconsistent facial animation vs. detail and consistency.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
...the fanservice and moe ratings on these things are actually really useful to me. I'm serious, I'm not joking, they're giving me sort of a safety indicator of what I'd be comfortable checking out

Gattsu25

Banned
...the fanservice and moe ratings on these things are actually really useful to me. I'm serious, I'm not joking, they're giving me sort of a safety indicator of what I'd be comfortable checking out

That would lead you sway from Gurren Lagann due to the fanservice rating (unless you are looking for a combo of the two), so it's not perfect. You really have to absorb the full review.

I actually really like this rating system and have added a few things to my watchlist as a result.

I hate to say it but anything that scored a 4+ star rating in the Suffering dept. got an instant add.

heh

Not

Banned
Steven Universe is technically not anime

And it's technically not moe because those fucking giant-pupiled shiny eyelash eyes are nowhere to be found except in gags

That said, I'll watch anything with:

Fanservice: -
Moe: -

That would lead you sway from Gurren Lagann due to the fanservice rating (unless you are looking for a combo of the two), so it's not perfect. You really have to absorb the full review.

Nope. Gurren Lagann and Kill La Kill are really off-putting. Fanservice for fanservice sake in an anime made almost 100% by dudes is annoying.

tumblr_lni7rvZUH81qclyefo1_500.jpg

Seriously, though, OP, thanks for this list. I haven't wanted to watch an anime for a couple years now, but this list gave me plenty of titles to look over, especially Kafka.

rpmurphy

I dunno, I would say that Robot Girls Z needs 3 stars for fanservice. There's quite a bit of panchira when the bots get pummeled and that
"yuri"
scene in S1.

But hell, a few shows? That's a lot you've watched. lol

Mortemis

Banned
That's a shit ton of work OP, props. I'll definitely use this thread when it comes to recs, esp. shows w/ barely/no fan service & moe.

Chariot

We don't even need to delve into mocking the CG quality to ridicule the designs.

New:

Old:
Gotta say, Guts looks better, but I can accept that, since he is still young in Golden Age. Waiting for the newly announced series to come to pass. Griffith on the other hand looks better in the movie version, just from these two shots. He is supposed to look handsome and human.

A show I would like to mention when it comes to visual beauty is Hyouka.

That show was so gorgeous to watch.
I sadly didn't got into it, but lately I am watching all the KyoAni shows I ignored and Hyouka will be part of that. Chitandas eyes are really something.

However, I have to vehemently disagree with your throwaway comment about the original Fullmetal Alchemist. I think it is an absolute masterpiece in it's own way and should definitely be watched. Yes, Brotherhood is the canon, but the original series has a deliciously dark story that really unfolds in a unique way. Love both series equally for different reasons and I feel everyone should really watch them.
Okay, good points. I change that part. I guess the movie just got on my feet too much, that I forgot the unique take on Wrath. Thanks for the feedback!

Well... the list could be worse.
*shrug*
I liked Tokyo Ravens.

I hate to say it but anything that scored a 4+ star rating in the Suffering dept. got an instant add.

heh
Ah, the sweet sweet suffering :>

I liked some moments in the pet girl of sakura hall.. the paintings especially
I liked the series, but at some point it just slowed down and got nowhere. Though, I loved the graduation scene very much.

I dunno, I would say that Robot Girls Z needs 3 stars for fanservice. There's quite a bit of panchira when the bots get pummeled and that
"yuri"
scene in S1.

But hell, a few shows? That's a lot you've watched. lol
You're right, I put it on 3 Stars. Thank you!

You managed to mention most of my favorites from this decade (Hellsing Ultimate, Fate/Zero, Madoka, JoJo) and only missed Yamato 2199.

The movies are a essentially a music video version of Golden Age with a light skinned Caska and a half ass take on Guts. I can't condone that thing either.

Is there anything with 5 stars in every single category (can take or leave Sawashiro)? That's what I need.

I also realized something. Dung Beetle from Bokurano used to remind me of Kyubey, but now I just see Monokuma.

Yes, more people need to watch Sword of the Stranger!!

I agree with the posts recommending Kids on a Slope, it's great. Also, i noticed the omission of that anime about the astronaut brothers? (Space Brothers i think?)

(No Space Dandy either?)

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Amazing OP. Bravo, Chariot.

You should throw up a general rec for Nihon Animator Mihonichi shorts, which are some of the most inventive, beautiful, bizarre, and creative short animated film I think I've ever seen (though granted I haven't gotten through the Genius Party anthologies which are supposed to be even more trippy).

TheChaos0

So it gets better after Nise? It kinda made me uncomfortable but Kaiki was great. Bake was amazing but Nise...it was probably just couple of scenes though.

I always though it was Yuri Yuri!!!!

So it gets better after Nise? It kinda made me uncomfortable but Kaiki was great. Bake was amazing but Nise...it was probably just couple of scenes though.

I always though it was Yuri Yuri!!!!

It gets so much better after Nise. I haven't watched beyond Second Season yet, but Neko, Otori, and Koi are all really great arcs.

MilkBeard

Old

New

Wow, wtf happened with Berserk's style in the movies? Who thought it was a good idea to go with really sparse looking 3d models? Is it cheaper to produce that way?

Top Bottom