• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Knights of the Old Republic 2 (finally) released on Steam.

Grayman

Is KOTOR two built of very narrow hallways like KOTOR(only played an hour), Dragon Age, and Mass effect? The Witcher manages to alleviate some of the Bioware TM gameplay but i think it was NWN based anyways.

stuminus3

The Squizzy patcher seems to let me pick 1440x900. Good enough I guess. Still wish I could get it to look like KoTOR 1 matching my resolution and with the nice HUD
You can use a combination of Squizzy and UniWS if your resolution is not listed in Squizzy. First extract the swkotor2.exe file to your Steam KOTOR2 install directory (back it up first, of course). Then instead of using the Squizzy patcher, use UniWS - it will then detect the game is installed and you can choose any resolution you like.

The reason this works is because the Steam version of swkotor2.exe is new for some reason, so UniWS doesn't detect it. I presume you'd get the same effect using a NoCD patch or something.

Levyne

Banned
You can use a combination of Squizzy and UniWS if your resolution is not listed in Squizzy. First extract the swkotor2.exe file to your Steam KOTOR2 install directory (back it up first, of course). Then instead of using the Squizzy patcher, use UniWS - it will then detect the game is installed and you can choose any resolution you like.

The reason this works is because the Steam version of swkotor2.exe is new for some reason, so UniWS doesn't detect it. I presume you'd get the same effect using a NoCD patch or something.

Well, yeah I have an .exe that UniWS can see, but it says to put in your desired resolution so I do and adjust the ini file, I do, but then it says to use the 1280x960 setting in game to go to your custom resolution. I can't see the x960 resolution option in game since mine is only x 900.

It's fine, though. I can live with the vertical bars on the left and right. At least I'm not playing in a box.

bengraven

Nope it's worse in almost every way especially the writing. But sadly he is not in the minority. Everyone worships at Bioware's feet despite them always being a 2nd tier developer.

KOTOR and KOTOR 2 were my first Bioware and Obsidian games - I had zero preconceived notions before going into them. KOTOR 1 to me was just "the Star Wars RPG" and I had no clue who Bioware were. I'm basing my opinion on playing only those two games and nothing earlier or later.

I would later become a Bioware and Obsidian fan, but it has nothing to do with how I feel about KOTOR 1. I just felt KOTOR 1 had better companions/characters, music, and environments. The intro level to Kotor 2 makes me want to kill myself every fucking time.

I fucking loved KOTOR 1 and ended up buying BG2 and NWN a few months later to see what they were about and NWN was a huge disappointment and BG2 was great.

Derrick01

Banned
KOTOR and KOTOR 2 were my first Bioware and Obsidian games - I had zero preconceived notions before going into them.

I'm basing my opinion on playing only those two games and nothing earlier or later. I would later become a Bioware and Obsidian fan, but it has nothing to do with how I feel about KOTOR 1. I just felt KOTOR 1 had better companions/characters, music, and environments.

The intro level to Kotor 2 makes me want to kill myself every fucking time.

The intro level is pretty bad but it's not any worse than 1's. The benefit is that it's not nearly as long as 1's.

edit: Note I'm counting intro as the first planet not the ship which is just the tutorial...for both games actually.

Alright, I need a little help here. So I downloaded and installed Squizzy's resolution patch, which comes with an older version of the exe (which i backed up), ran the resolution patcher, nothing took. I changed the resloution in the .ini, nothing happened. I grabbed the universal widescreen patcher, which would now work because Squizzy's patch provides you with an older, unencrypted exe, nothing happened.

I've clicked through all of the resolutions, run both resolution patchers, I've changed the resolution in the ini to match the native resolution of my monitor, cycled through all of the available resolutions and nothin'. What am I doing wrong here.

Edit: Reading helps, I needed to change the resolution in two fields in the ini and had only changed it in one. Got the game running in widescreen :)

Herla

It's still a very abrupt and "What just happened ending".

I remember finishing the game and feeling like I'm missing 2-3 hours of content. I let the credits roll thinking it would pick up after it.

It's just a very weird ending.

I thought the same about The Witcher 2, but I see no one shitting on that game.

ramine

Unconfirmed Member
Still confused about the HD patch. It seems KOTOR1 specific. Can you do it on the standard Steam exe, or do you need a new Kotor2 exe? Can you patch it with the KOTOR1 patch?

Grief.exe

I thought the same about The Witcher 2, but I see no one shitting on that game.

Well you did resolve the story in Witcher 2, you
finally caught and killed the main antagonist and his motivations were explained, setting it up for the next game

In KOTOR 2, the game just...ends. All it is 2 final boss fights, and Kreia answers some questions which don't really matter. As far as I've heard for the restored content, seems like the story they had planned was a lot more interesting.

I spent my time since writing that post on trying to find the reviews I had apparently misremembered saying that the controls hardly worked on consoles. I was wrong. Even so, don't the two versions have kind of different UIs to suit the controllers?
Yes, the console versions had a different UI that worked well with a controller.
You can't get the exact same control setup on the PC version, though you can get decently close using something like Joy2Key.

Kem0sabe

I would not recommend the restored content mod as it stands, it has more bugs (game breaking ones) than the original game had.

I tried a play through with the final version of the mod and the amount of crap i had to put with, including heavy use of the invisible debug console just to try to correct the bugs is annoying... i just gave up.

Andytizer

Neo Member

Thanks this is really useful information.

I would not recommend the restored content mod as it stands, it has more bugs (game breaking ones) than the original game had.

I tried a play through with the final version of the mod and the amount of crap i had to put with, including heavy use of the invisible debug console just to try to correct the bugs is annoying... i just gave up.

what is the first noticeable change with the restored content mod installed?

Kem0sabe

what is the first noticeable change with the restored content mod installed?

I played up to Nar Shaddaa, thats when stuff started to bug out, i got a weird bug when the Ebon Hawk was supposed to be boarded by mercenaries, then another when i was supposed to use the ship as a decoy with the freighter transponder, both were game breaking and stopped the story from progressing.

Concerning the new content, it has been so long since my previous play through that i honestly didn´t notice anything major, probably some of the dialogue was new, but that would be doing a disservice to the team and the massive change list that accompanied the mod, i´m sure a lot of stuff was changed it´s just that i didn´t remember details to compare with.

I ran the mod with a new installation and patch only, so no mod conflicts.

Thanks, I reinstalled my original disc version a few weeks ago and have been playing through. haven't had many problems, but I'm not to Nar Shaddaa yet. How can I get to the debug menu if I need to navigate around some bugs as you mentioned?

I played up to Nar Shaddaa, thats when stuff started to bug out, i got a weird bug when the Ebon Hawk was supposed to be boarded by mercenaries, then another when i was supposed to use the ship as a decoy with the freighter transponder, both were game breaking and stopped the story from progressing.

Concerning the new content, it has been so long since my previous play through that i honestly didn´t notice anything major, probably some of the dialogue was new, but that would be doing a disservice to the team and the massive change list that accompanied the mod, i´m sure a lot of stuff was changed it´s just that i didn´t remember details to compare with.

I ran the mod with a new installation and patch only, so no mod conflicts.

eot

Banned
Well you did resolve the story in Witcher 2, you
finally caught and killed the main antagonist and his motivations were explained, setting it up for the next game

In KOTOR 2, the game just...ends. All it is 2 final boss fights, and Kreia answers some questions which don't really matter. As far as I've heard for the restored content, seems like the story they had planned was a lot more interesting.

I would like to replay it again to refresh my memory, but I'm actually okay with how it ends. The ending wasn't what I expected but instead of rejecting it the ending made me reexamine the rest of the game and what the story was about. When I played it I didn't know that it was butchered by LucasArts though so I guess that helped me take it for what it was.

Hambone

I just made it through that mercenary scene you're talking about, and did not experience any bugs. I'm about 20 hours into the game using the restore content mod, and have had not one single bug or problem. Here's hoping the rest of the game goes smooth.

burgerdog

Er, so I have to use a no cd crack in order to get widescreen to work with the steam version? Dammit, not going to risk a ban even if the chance of it happening are very low.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Er, so I have to use a no cd crack in order to get widescreen to work with the steam version? Dammit, not going to risk a ban even if the chance of it happening are very low.

There is literally no chance of that happening. The only thing that could happen for is a VAC multiplayer game.

All Steam cares about is finding an .exe that matches the one it is told should start a game. I have spoofed tons of games .exes for custom stuff. Zdoom, Quake sourceports, Kotor 1, etc.

burgerdog

There is literally no chance of that happening. The only thing that could happen for is a VAC multiplayer game.

All Steam cares about is finding an .exe that matches the one it is told should start a game. I have spoofed tons of games .exes for custom stuff. Zdoom, Quake sourceports, Kotor 1, etc.

Thanks for clearing that up. Off to look the crack and then play this in 1080p!

This. I actually bought the retail collection re-release in the hopes that I could get widescreen working. Wasted an hour of my life with that Uni.ws thing and can't get the patch to work after following all of the instructions. Specifically it won't let me enter a custom resolution or patch it.

The retail re-release is a rip-off. Just, seriously, fuck Lucas Arts. Would it've been so hard to add widescreen resolution support in a 2012 re-release? I'm not going to play this in postage-stamp sized window mode.

I've bought Kotor 1 on Steam and the retail release. All I want to do is play the game in widescreen. I give up. It'd be easier just to track down the XBOX version at this point and play it on my 360.

Is there any way to get the rendered movies to display in something other than letterboxed 800x600. I don't want them blown to be fullscreen and stretched out, I just want them to be a little larger than a postage stamp in the center of my monitor.

This. I actually bought the retail collection re-release in the hopes that I could get widescreen working. Wasted an hour of my life with that Uni.ws thing and can't get the patch to work after following all of the instructions. Specifically it won't let me enter a custom resolution or patch it.

The retail re-release is a rip-off. Just, seriously, fuck Lucas Arts. Would it've been so hard to add widescreen resolution support in a 2012 re-release? I'm not going to play this in postage-stamp sized window mode.

I've bought Kotor 1 on Steam and the retail release. All I want to do is play the game in widescreen. I give up. It'd be easier just to track down the XBOX version at this point and play it on my 360.

I used a combination of Squizzy and the UniWS patchers to get KotORII up and running at 1920x1200 in under half an hour.

Squizzy's patcher will provide you with the exe you need. Just make a back up of the Steam version of the exe in another folder and replace it with the exe that comes with Squizzy's patcher. The UniWS patcher is super easy to use and it works with the exe you get from Squizzy's patcher. Just run UniWS, select the game and the resolution you want in the patcher, it will tell you what in-game res you will have to pick to get that custom resolution to work. The final step is editing the .ini in the root of your Steam KotOR II dir in two places to get that custom res to work. If you then choose the proper res that UniWS replaced, the game will use that custom resolution.

To tweak the UI to function/display properly you literally drag and drop a few files into the Override directory and drop one dll in the main parent directory of the game.

Sure it's annoying Lucasarts did fuck all to ensure the game ran in widescreen, but it's like twenty minutes of "work" to get the game running at your monitor's native resolution with a functional UI.

If you're having problems, why not post in this thread and ask for help? I think all of the links you need are posted in this thread.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
The intro level is pretty bad but it's not any worse than 1's. The benefit is that it's not nearly as long as 1's.

edit: Note I'm counting intro as the first planet not the ship which is just the tutorial...for both games actually.

Actually he is right. The intro level and first world of 2 are far worse in terms of pacing than 1. Telos is a goddamn nightmare to run through in a way I never found Taris to be.

NZNova

I used a combination of Squizzy and the UniWS patchers to get KotORII up and running at 1920x1200 in under half an hour.

Squizzy's patcher will provide you with the exe you need. Just make a back up of the Steam version of the exe in another folder and replace it with the exe that comes with Squizzy's patcher. The UniWS patcher is super easy to use and it works with the exe you get from Squizzy's patcher. Just run UniWS, select the game and the resolution you want in the patcher, it will tell you what in-game res you will have to pick to get that custom resolution to work. The final step is editing the .ini in the root of your Steam KotOR II dir in two places to get that custom res to work. If you then choose the proper res that UniWS replaced, the game will use that custom resolution.

Do you have a link to this squizzy patcher?

Edit: NVM, found it.

In this case, playing with a controller was a much better experience even with long loading and bad framerate on the XBOX. The first KOTOR game feel like an epic journey, you generally feel excitement landing on a new planet and discovering its culture, 2 on the other hand felt like it was a self-indulgent story that has planets added as padding. Despite being just as long, it feels half as short.

Pretty much how I felt playing it for 20 hours on the PC a few months ago (until I hit a game stopping bug with no fix). Even after 20 HOURS I had no idea what the story was about other than "go find the other Jedi." Ok, I finally finished this long ass into level, now onto a bland space station and ugly planet below. OK, finished that place, now on to a browner, uglier, more boring version of of a level from the first game. Ok, finished there, now onto a bland looking area filled with crime and corruption. Ok, finished that area, now the game is glitched and I can't leave the planet.

"That beggar you gave 5 credits to will be mugged and killed, that killer will use your money to buy a gun that they will use to kill a powerful politician that will lead to civil war across the planet. You need to realize the impact your actions will have."

You know what? Fuck you and your stupid philosophy on life you blind old crone. How the fuck am I suppose to predict what butterfly effect my every action will cause? If I had more jedi characters in my party I would leave you on the damn ship.

Hey, I think that was the same bug I found! It was one of the weirdest bugs I've ever experienced. The cutscene played of them boarding the ship, I went back fought them, and went back to the main mission. Then the cutscene of them boarding the ship happened AGAIN and I went back to fight them but things were getting messed up, like character's weren't there or something. I just ignored it and finished up the rest of the mission for the area then when I got back my ship was still empty. No crew or anything and I couldn't interact with the nav com.

I had no save points before that incident happened and I wasn't enjoying the game much so I shelved it. At least I got the game for free for ordering groceries from Amazon Fresh. I got a gaming mouse too! :D

szaromir

Banned
"That beggar you gave 5 credits to will be mugged and killed, that killer will use your money to buy a gun that they will use to kill a powerful politician that will lead to civil war across the planet. You need to realize the impact your actions will have."

You know what? Fuck you and your stupid philosophy on life you blind old crone. How the fuck am I suppose to predict what butterfly effect my every action will cause? If I had more jedi characters in my party I would leave you on the damn ship.

She speaks that dialogue even if you do leave her on a ship lol.

I had just one bug in my playthrough of KotOR2, it was on Nar Shaada but was related to a sidequest so whatever.

Anyway, started playing KotOR1 and writing is much worse than 2's. I found myself skipping dialogues as much as possible, at which point I decided it's not worth playing anymore.

She speaks that dialogue even if you do leave her on a ship lol.

I had just one bug in my playthrough of KotOR2, it was on Nar Shaada but was related to a sidequest so whatever.

Anyway, started playing KotOR1 and writing is much worse than 2's. I found myself skipping dialogues as much as possible, at which point I decided it's not worth playing anymore.
I honestly did the same thing when I played Kotor 1 recently, but it was probably more that I played that game to death when it came out and I didn't care enough to read/listen to everything over again.

I suppose it's a Catch-22 with me. Bioware games have weak writing (Kotor) and repetitive structures (Kotor, Dragon Age, Jade Empire), but Obsidian games are either buggy for me (Kotor 2), control like garbage (Alpha Protocol), or have characters that I cannot stand no matter how good the writing is (never ending morality lessons from your Old Crone in Kotor 2, main character in AP who is bland and monotonous no matter what you make him say). I recognize the flaws that Bioware games have, but they've never really gotten in the way of my enjoyment of their games (well, Dragon Age was pretty bland and I was never got the hang of Jade Empire's combat). With Obsidian I recognize the quality the into the writing and the systems of their games, but I've never been able to look past their flaws. From what I've played of Fallout New Vegas (few hours) it seems to be the best (least buggy, best controlling) of there's that I've played. Unfortunately I need a better graphics card to run it smoothly (I run Skyrim alright, but F:NV is slow? WTF?).

I will say that it is likely that I prefer Kotor 1 over 2 in large part because I still liked Star Wars back then. I really don't give a shit about the Star Wars universe anymore and that definitely affected my enjoyment of it. No matter how good the writing was it's still more Star Wars to me. Jedi vs. Sith, the Force, hives of scum and villiany, "I've got a bad feeling about this," etc. That universe just doesn't so it for me anymore, except for the sound effects, those are still the best part of any Star Wars game.

I love Kreia, she doesn't care about morality, light or dark side, only that you do everything with a purpose. She'll hector you equally if you murder someone senselessly or help someone just because you thought it was the right thing to do.

Edit: This game LOVES to crash on the player entering the Iziz cantina.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
KOTOR and KOTOR 2 were my first Bioware and Obsidian games - I had zero preconceived notions before going into them. KOTOR 1 to me was just "the Star Wars RPG" and I had no clue who Bioware were. I'm basing my opinion on playing only those two games and nothing earlier or later.

I would later become a Bioware and Obsidian fan, but it has nothing to do with how I feel about KOTOR 1. I just felt KOTOR 1 had better companions/characters, music, and environments. The intro level to Kotor 2 makes me want to kill myself every fucking time.

I fucking loved KOTOR 1 and ended up buying BG2 and NWN a few months later to see what they were about and NWN was a huge disappointment and BG2 was great.

agreed with every single word

Derrick01

Banned
Forgetting the smaller details and points of this game was actually a benefit as I feel like I'm being reintroduced to how good RPGs used to be as I replay it. The conversations I've had with Kreia and some other people just run circles around kotor 1's writing, not to mention how much Obsidian utilizes skill checks in conversation (speech and others). They do the same thing in most of their games so that's not surprising, it just feels so different when playing the prior games in the series they take over like this and Fallout 3.

bengraven

Forgetting the smaller details and points of this game was actually a benefit as I feel like I'm being reintroduced to how good RPGs used to be as I replay it. The conversations I've had with Kreia and some other people just run circles around kotor 1's writing, not to mention how much Obsidian utilizes skill checks in conversation (speech and others). They do the same thing in most of their games so that's not surprising, it just feels so different when playing the prior games in the series they take over like this and Fallout 3.

I do prefer how Obsidian does dialogue, both their checks and their story. But I still like Bioware's characters much better. I think if Obsidian wrote Bioware's games, I'd be happy.

Ebon Hawk is KOTORs' hub.

...main hub...sure...but hubs are not singular, always...

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
My man.

Oh and Taris is still one of the best RPG hubs ever. I would love if Star Wars 1313 part 2 was actually set in the Old Republic and in the underbelly of Taris.

Taris was incredible indeed, with its multi-layered levels, mob gangs and the splendid Bastila. I never wanted to leave. Can't tell you how disappointed I was with Telos since I was expecting something in the same league :/

Was Fallout not technically Obsidian's to begin with before getting passed over to Bethesda?

Derrick01

Banned
I do prefer how Obsidian does dialogue, both their checks and their story. But I still like Bioware's characters much better. I think if Obsidian wrote Bioware's games, I'd be happy.

I wish we were that lucky. I wish someone with a lot of funding would buy Obsidian and give them the proper budget and creative freedom they deserve but have never gotten on most of their games.

Was Fallout not technically Obsidian's to begin with before getting passed over to Bethesda?

Basically but I was mostly just talking about Fallout 3 since New Vegas was using the same formula. Like how Kotor 2 uses the same gameplay and map design as 1, which is terrible IMO. I can't stand this dice roll combat and how it makes my people miss doors or lockers when I go to bash them or making me miss stunned enemies. It makes no sense and it's just frustrating to watch.

I wish we were that lucky. I wish someone with a lot of funding would buy Obsidian and give them the proper budget and creative freedom they deserve but have never gotten on most of their games.

Basically but I was mostly just talking about Fallout 3 since New Vegas was using the same formula. Like how Kotor 2 uses the same gameplay and map design as 1, which is terrible IMO. I can't stand this dice roll combat and how it makes my people miss doors or lockers when I go to bash them or making me miss stunned enemies. It makes no sense and it's just frustrating to watch.

I think Obsidian needs more QA testers than anything. What was credited in New Vegas, like 2?

I can't remember for sure, but it was ridiculously low. Obsidian just needs more time with most of their projects. If you ever read about what they wanted to do with KOTOR2 and how much got shelved....it would have been such a more interesting game.

Derrick01

Banned
I think Obsidian needs more QA testers than anything. What was credited in New Vegas, like 2?

I can't remember for sure, but it was ridiculously low. Obsidian just needs more time with most of their projects. If you ever read about what they wanted to do with KOTOR2 and how much got shelved....it would have been such a more interesting game.

I don't know the QA situation on their older games but with New Vegas it was supposed to be handled by Zenimax/Bethesda and I don't believe they went out of their way to ensure the process was done correctly. Hell they don't even do that for their internally developed games, it's Bethesda after all. Kotor 2 definitely had severe publisher interference with time constraints and that's how it ended up with the ending that it did, which honestly I think is over criticized. As Water_Wendi explained you find out most of the stuff you need to know in order to reach some form of a conclusion, which is more than most games bother offering you anymore.

szaromir

Banned
I don't know the QA situation on their older games but with New Vegas it was supposed to be handled by Zenimax/Bethesda and I don't believe they went out of their way to ensure the process was done correctly. Hell they don't even do that for their internally developed games, it's Bethesda after all. Kotor 2 definitely had severe publisher interference with time constraints and that's how it ended up with the ending that it did, which honestly I think is over criticized. As Water_Wendi explained you find out most of the stuff you need to know in order to reach some form of a conclusion, which is more than most games bother offering you anymore.

Story-wise KOTOR1's ending felt a lot more rushed. "here's this Star Forge you've been hearing so much about, plow through Malak's droid minions, beat Malak, 30 seconds of a lame cutscene and be happy". At least the final dialogue with Kreia did provide a satisfying story conclusion.

It also set up things nicely for KotOR3 and possible sith hunting by Revan and/or the Outcast. Lucas Arts' level of incompetence and idiocy had never been more baffling than at the moment they killed the KOTOR series, it sold great and was highly acclaimed yet they butchered it for no good reason.

Arcteryx

holy **** this game is buggy. Now I know why I hated it so much years ago. Stuck on Telos and cannot progress at all. I honestly think it might be the content patch in the OP, because I've seen some other posts regarding the same issue and they all mentioned the patch as well(although they were for older versions).

The issue:
at the secret Jedi base, I did all the "correct" dialogue you need to do to avoid the other glitches, but when I come across the handmaiden...there is only one, and I have no options to spar with her at all; all of her dialogue just repeats itself. When I go to leave, it will let me get on the Ebon Hawk one time, plays the cutscene, then it just jumps back to Astria(or whatever her name is) standing in her chamber. Then I'm left standing on the ramp and I can't re-enter the Ebon Hawk or do anything else.

Plus it has crashed about ~20 times in ~8.5hrs of play

/rant

Fun game otherwise.

Derrick01

Banned
I've been running into crashes on Iziz too, like jaundicejuice did. A couple of times entering the merchant quarter and once entering the cantina. Thankfully reloads fixed it so far.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Bought this today, got the resolution patched and the content mod is installed. My one complaint is that even after pasting the HUD fix into the Override folder, the HUD still looks chunky and ugly compared to the KOTOR1 fix.

Just so I can move on and finally play the game, is this the best that the HUD can look, or did I miss something?
5a85e1570db7faf1dac04d06c19f7c9c09fdae9d.JPG

KOTOR1 for comparison:

As you can see, the difference is significant.

Top Bottom