• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scientology 'auditioned' potential wives for Tom Cruise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oersted

so he dated scarlett johannson, katie holmes and that iranian lady? and he slept with atleast one of them?

no matter how fucked up he is right now, he definetly did something right.

Oersted

You could say that about all the religions. The only way Scientology is different is time. In a hundred years it will have the dim shine of Mormanism. Five hundred years after that it will have the blazing glory of Catholicism or one of the other two Abrahamic faiths.

They all started as cults.

yup

I do love the tag of 'That's not the way we punish people'
Christ, digging ditches at night sounds like something my grandfather would make people so.

You could say that about all the religions. The only way Scientology is different is time. In a hundred years it will have the dim shine of Mormanism. Five hundred years after that it will have the blazing glory of Catholicism or one of the other two Abrahamic faiths.

So so sad. And so true :/

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
nah he's probably a pro on set. its his personal life where he seems like a complete fucking lunatic.

I've talked to several people who have worked on set with Tom Cruise who have said otherwise.

One craft service guy in particular told me once about how Tom and his Scientology goons (because he's never alone) took over the entire crafty area and made it into a Dianetics and Scientology info booth and filled it with books and pamphlets and brochures that they were trying to make everyone on the crew take.

Weird stuff.

I've talked to several people who have worked on set with Tom Cruise who have said otherwise.

One craft service guy in particular told me once about how Tom and his Scientology goons (because he's never alone) took over the entire crafty area and made it into a Dianetics and Scientology info booth and filled it with books and pamphlets and brochures that they were trying to make everyone on the crew take.

Weird stuff.
Yeah that was during War of the Worlds at the height of his couch-jumping, Matt Lauer-lambasting insanity but he's chilled out quite a bit in the past few years, at least with his public image.

thabiz

Weird stuff.

I've heard he's one of the nicest guys to work with. Gets really into the project and will basically do anything the director asks. Theres a reason why he has worked with the top directors in the industry.

Who cares about his personal beliefs. Dude makes good films.

thomaser

So how does a "church" live with itself while constantly lying about the things they do?

Because telling lies is seen as just a means to an end, and they call that end "keep Scientology working". Or KSW, as they say. That's their main concern. How they do it is not that important, so telling lies is perfectly acceptable as long as it helps Scientology in some way.

I normally don't venture into these types of threads because of the nature of 'WhoGivesAShit' but I heartily approve of this.

So that shitty threads like this are relegated to a place that I can avoid.
y'know, you didn't have to come in this thread and you didn't have to post either.

TheNatural

My Member!

Never heard Jesus, Muhammad, or Abraham quoted on the side that "the best way to become rich is invent a religion."

L Ron Hubbard was a batshit sci fi writer that wrote some scam psych book called Dianetics, saw he could make money off of it, so invented Scientology and got caught up in his own craziness.

Whether or not you think other religions shouldn't exist is one thing, none of the Biblical figures though exactly had a great life of wealth and fame though like Mr Hubbard concocted for himself. It would be no different than if George Lucas invented a religion.

Never heard Jesus, Muhammad, or Abraham quoted on the side that "the best way to become rich is invent a religion."

L Ron Hubbard was a batshit sci fi writer that wrote some scam psych book called Dianetics, saw he could make money off of it, so invented Scientology and got caught up in his own craziness.

Whether or not you think other religions shouldn't exist is one thing, none of the Biblical figures though exactly had a great life of wealth and fame though like Mr Hubbard concocted for himself. It would be no different than if George Lucas invented a religion.
Friend, it would be very different. George Lucas at one time actually wrote good science fiction.

thabiz

Isnt Jedi a religion now?

Daft_Cat

I'm actually starting to think they actually see him as royalty. King Cruise, the lord and saviour of the Church of Scientology.

Ironically, I live in Silverlake Los Angeles, which is very close to this building:

2011.07_scientology.jpg

It's like a palace...and to make it ever weirder, the grounds are almost always deserted.

Busty

Banned
I was under the impression that everyone knew that this sort of thing has been going on in Hollywood and the world of showbiz since the 1940's and continues today.

For example I know for a fact that there is a certain young female American singer who is gay and her management team make sure that she's seen with other famous in the closet men to keep the illusion of heterosexuality going.

But behind closed doors she is quite happy to live a gay lifestyle with her management team happy for her.., as long as she keeps it all quiet and away from the public.

It's almost like toddler play dates among young mums. You bring your gay client over and I'll bring over mine and they get chat and if they hit it off (in a platonic way) they can 'date' for a few months.

gutshot

I was under the impression that everyone knew that this sort of thing has been going on in Hollywood and the world of showbiz since the 1940's and continues today.

For example I know for a fact that there is a certain young female American singer who is gay and her management team make sure that she's seen with other famous in the closet men to keep the illusion of heterosexuality going.

But behind closed doors she is quite happy to live a gay lifestyle with her management team happy for her.., as long as she keeps it all quiet and away from the public.

It's almost like toddler play dates among young mums. You bring your gay client over and I'll bring over mine and they get chat and if they hit it off (in a platonic way) they can 'date' for a few months.

Who?

you didn't even read the OP if that's seriously what you're comparing this to.

Busty

Banned

Oh I'd like to tell you but I couldn't possibly. There are actually a few gay leading men in Hollywood who have 'wives' yet also openly travel with their boyfriends and introduce them to cast as crews as their 'partners'.

RE: Gay singer. If I did say something then the whole thing gets picked up by someone else and then it's picked up someone else again and they tailor it to their own needs on some celeb blog and then, as swift as the wind, it's everywhere and everyone knows.

I'm sorry but I can't say.

you didn't even read the OP if that's seriously what you're comparing this to.

No while you're right and I know this isn't a direct match (creepy cult angle is creepy) but it is mirrored by the fact that this is just Scientology's spin on what is already a well versed practice in Hollywood and beyond.

Oh I'd like to tell you but I couldn't possibly. There are actually a few gay leading men in Hollywood who have 'wives' yet also openly travel with their boyfriends and introduce them to cast as crews as their 'partners'.

RE: Gay singer. If I did say something then the whole thing gets picked up by someone else and then it's picked up someone else again and they tailor it to their own needs on some celeb blog and then, as swift as the wind, it's everywhere and everyone knows.

Young singer dating gay men?

Taylor Swift.

Busted.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Have you ever made a planet, or nation, radioactive?
Well... I mean, come on... it's not like you'd call it a planet. Even "planetoid" is a bit of a stretch, really.

Ironically, I live in Silverlake Los Angeles, which is very close to this building:

2011.07_scientology.jpg

It's like a palace...and to make it ever weirder, the grounds are almost always deserted.
My friend... that's not a palace. That's an asylum.

gutshot

No while you're right and I know this isn't a direct match (creepy cult angle is creepy) but it is mirrored by the fact that this is just Scientology's spin on what is already a well versed practice in Hollywood and beyond.

Well played.

I'm actually starting to think they actually see him as royalty. King Cruise, the lord and saviour of the Church of Scientology.

2011.07_scientology.jpg

Why does it have a cross on it? Did they take that building over from some Christian organization or does scientology use the cross as a symbol? (I don't know much about it.)

Downhome

I've heard the same thing about Taylor Swift through people I know in Nashville. Heck, it's pretty well known that her father essentially bought her contract to hit it big. Or rather her opportunity to hit it big. She is a fine country songwriter, and that is why she has stuck around. Her voice, live and in person, is awful.

Why does it have a cross on it? Did they take that building over from some Christian organization or does scientology use the cross as a symbol? (I don't know much about it.)
Basically they had to pass Dianetics off as a religion for legal and tax purposes, and LRH in his infinite creativity made this the Scientology symbol:

scientology1.gif

Doesn't it make Scientology seem all religious and proper like?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom