• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Top 3 Games of the Gen?

Neiteio

How can you guys pick -just- three? I don't even know where to begin. Way too many awesome games nowadays.

- BioShock
- Warhawk
- Demon's Souls
- Resident Evil 5
- Uncharted 2
- Red Dead Redemption
- Super Mario Galaxy 1 + 2
- Super Mario 3D Land
- Mario Kart 7
- Resident Evil Revelations
- Kid Icarus Uprising
- Sleeping Dogs
- Alan Wake
- Bulletstorm
- Deus Ex: Human Revolution
- Catherine
- Portal 2
- Crysis
- Saints Row: The Third
- Left 4 Dead 2
- Amnesia: The Dark Descent
- Arkham Asylum + City
- Vanquish
- and more!

Of all of those, Kid Icarus Uprising, Bulletstorm and Vanquish -- my Holy Trinity of Action Games -- are probably the most straight-up fun (and Warhawk, but that's purely multiplayer). Amnesia is the best at what it does. I recently replayed Catherine and swear by it as pretty damn perfect. Sleeping Dogs is probably the most consistent and well-balanced. BioShock and Demon's Souls are utterly enthralling. The Mario games and Batman games are magical. Gah!

I guess I'd say:

Vanquish_PS3-450x518.jpg

bs_face3p_enl.jpg

kidicarus_ba.jpg

1164763-demonssouls_us_ps3_front_super.jpg

1721948-catherine_ps3.jpg

super_mario_3d_land_3ds_na.jpg

sleeping-dogs-box-art-is-unusually-cool-20120301083129172-000.jpg
Wait, that's not three, lol.

LastNac

Three favorite games.
1. Uncharted 2
2. Mass Effect
3. Assassin's Creed

Favorite overall experience this Gen.
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception

news_portal_2_lots_of_trailers-10640.jpg

PORTAL 2 Fantastic writing, hilarious dialogue, great acting - in a game. Then you have some grade A level design, clever and taxing puzzles, a real sense of adventure to the story, and one of the craziest endings to a game I've ever seen.

metal-gear-solid-4-trophies-guide.jpg

METAL GEAR SOLID 4: GUNS OF THE PATRIOTS An emotional rollercoaster, chock full of brilliant set pieces, great stealth meets action gameplay, a masterful soundtrack, a ridiculous amount of collectable content, weapon mods. Most of all it wrapped up a story I had followed since 1998 on PSX. It has some of the most memorable moments of this gen and at the time moved me in a way a game never had. Final, final, final ending was shit though.

uncharted-2-will-have-90-minutes-of-cut-scenes.jpg

UNCHARTED 2 - AMONG THIEVES Indiana Jones the game. It had a great story full of entertaining characters, good humour, explosive action set pieces and amazing graphics. The gunplay felt great and the cover system was fluid. There were loads of treasures to find and multiple playthroughs were a joy. This is one of those games that I hadn't followed all that closely before launch and it blew my mind from start to end.

Neiteio

I really should've given a shoutout to MGS4 and Heavy Rain, as well, because as flawed as those games were in many regards objectively, few have as huge a heart and as unapologetic an approach as them.

gurudyne

Red Dead Redemption

17dead-span-articleLarge.jpg

The best open-world game of this gen and possibly all time, Red Dead Redemption set a high watermark for world building as well as character writing that still has yet to be matched since IMO. Despite a somewhat overstretched middle portion in Mexico, the game's story is consistently interesting, and the world and characters have a real life to them. Exploring the beautiful, open frontier with little pockets of civilization sprinkled throughout it as beautiful weather transitions shift the mood of every scene provided me with some of my all-time favorite gaming memories. And what can be said about the ending? The lead-up to it and then the ultimate conclusion are phenomenal.

Yup.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Options, options, options. I've always been a fan of freedom of choice in gaming and from a gameplay perspective, DEHR offers that. So many ways to accomplish objectives some of which reward certain playstyles and punish others--giving meaning to the choices you make. Coupled with a fantastic art style and a great world to explore, it makes for a memorable experience.

Mass Effect

Not the best image if I wanted to convey the beautiful artwork in the ME universe, but it does a better job of encapsulating my love for the first game: the sense of exploration and wonder. I remember the exact minute I jumped into the Sol system and drove to the moon. I just wanted to read the entries on the local planets, but then I noticed that the A button was lit up. I could land. On the moon. I hit it and waited. When it finally loaded up, it wasn't a habitat or science lab, but the crater-strewn surface. I literally spent fifteen minutes just driving around laughing like a gleeful maniac. Why? Because it's the moon. It was mankind's stepping stone to the stars and will always be defined by that event. Being able to drive around the quiet surface and look up at Earth gave the series so much more emotional resonance than it would have had otherwise--it tied it to humanity and the world we know instead of just being another escapist world on the game shelf.

The rest of the game is fantastic as well--the final levels, the antagonist's scene, the worlds and decisions, all of it builds to a satisfying, emotional and memorable experience that I love to death. But it's always going to be that inconsequential jaunt on the moon that defines my love for Mass Effect.

I've been here long enough to do the long spiel several times on this, so, short-hand, how I'm feeling right now, limiting to consoles so I don't go mad, hows about:

Dark Souls - Brilliant in every way etc. etc.
Bayonetta - Japanese surrealism, level design blah blah
Just Cause 2 - Explosions + exploration what else do you need and so on

Probably not going to do much better than that.

Naked Lunch

1. Battlefield 3
2. Dark Souls
3. Deadly Premonition

So many votes for RDR - thats the only game in my 25+ years of gaming that actually put me to sleep - more than once too. Horrid duck and cover gallery shooting gameplay set in a lifeless, soulless world. Give me Red Dead Revolver over it any day of the week.

7threst

1. Demon's Souls
2. Super Mario Galaxy 2
3. Xenoblade

So many votes for RDR - thats the only game in my 25+ years of gaming that actually put me to sleep - more than once too. Horrid duck and cover gallery shooting gameplay set in a lifeless, soulless world. Give me Red Dead Revolver over it any day of the week.

This is exactly how I feel. So many people praise RDR, that it feels that I must be missing something because it really bores me....

Noema

Must admit, GAF has good taste.
except for RDR! :p

My picks

Dark Souls
Bayonetta
Vanquish

I was going to pick the Witcher 2, but went with Vanquish because I just love that game so much. It, along with Dark Souls, basically renewed my faith in video games. I could write volumes about those two games but suffice it to say: they make me warm and fuzzy inside.

DaBuddaDa

This is extremely hard...ask me in a half hour and my answers would be different.

No order:

Super Mario Galaxy
Assassin's Creed II
Mass Effect

UrbanRats

In no particular order:

Red Dead Redemption:
igo9jJ6UYuqz.jpg

Probably the best (or one of them) incapsulation of videogames as immersion devices, the level of detail in the world building is unmatched and the gameplay can get seriously engaging and fun.
Its flaws are mainly dictated by R*'s stubborn unwillingness to abandon the dated mission-based gamedesign from GTA, to approach a more freeform style that would benefit their open world games.
The ability to be a rancher, a sheriff, a gang leader would've made the game that much better, instead of having to follow the linear and bland missions (albeit sustained by a great story).
Regardless, one of the most unique and intense experiences i've had this gen.

Skate 2:
i4FWQAfWT1HbU.jpg

Some things about the first one were better, like the more realistic and natural city design, but in general i regard this as the peak of the skate simulation genre in videogames.
The physics based gameplay and near perfect animations blew my mind in the first game, and Skate2 tweaked that "tech demo" in a more complete package.

Dark Souls:
ihL064C18Zz2k.jpg

Although Demon's Souls has also its strengths, i think Dark Souls is incredibly more meaty and rich, and i love the open world, labyrinthic level design.
The combat, the monsters and world design and the general rich and deep lore and gameplay, made this a very rewarding experience.
There's just so much stuff to discover and do, it's incredible how deep into the rabbit hole you can dig, and still discover new stuff.
The forboding atmosphere is also incredibly pulled off, though in this aspect, Demon's Souls was probably superior.

Honorable mentions:

SIREN New Translation/Blood Curse:
itAXvfBzMvuwr.jpg

This game, alone, justified my purchase of a Ps3 in 2008.
One of my favorites survival horrors, with an amazing visual and sound design, and an incredible atmosphere.
They improved the controls from the previous games, but also made it a tad too easy once you get your hands on a decent weapon, which is the only flaw i'm willing to move to it. :p

Machinarium:
ibcSM4ZQJnQNpR.jpg

I'm not a big adventure games buff, but this game was so charming that i had to play it.
Turns out is one of my favorites from this gen, beautiful art, challenging and fun puzzles and the best soundtrack in a game, ever (yes, like in "of all time").
Listen to this shit:
Mr. Handegote.
The Furnace.
The Bottom.

Makes me watery eyed.

jackb2424

Banned
Uncharted 2 - This is what I imagined video games would be like when I was a kid.

God of War 3 - Hands down the best looking game on platforms this gen almost 3 years later and the best combat yet seen in the series.

Metal Gear Solid 4 - Kojima can do know wrong in my eyes. It was a thrill ride from beginning to end.

Kenai

Nier, Xenoblade and TWEWY, in no particular order. There are several others that deserve mention, but most are already (highly) praised in this thread.

aaaaaa

Braid -- puzzles without the filler of minor variations
Skyward Sword -- revived my faith in zeldas after the rather bad TP and ST (although I liked PH a lot too)
Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia -- combining metroidvania with actual difficulty

Toki767

Uncharted 2 for the I can't believe this is a real game I'm playing experience.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 for the this is probably the most fun I've ever had playing a game experience.

The World Ends With You for the I finished this game but I really hope they make a sequel soon experience.

Those are in no particular order.

Honorable mention goes to Portal 1 and 2 for making you feel like they put serious amounts of thought into both games.

I really should've given a shoutout to MGS4 and Heavy Rain, as well, because as flawed as those games were in many regards objectively, few have as huge a heart and as unapologetic an approach as them.
Don't let the vocal minority of haters fool you. Both are pretty good picks and loved by the majority of GAF (MGS4: #1 of 2008; HR: #6 of 2010). They are flawed, but incredible in many areas. Not nearly as bad as some say. Their respective successors show tremendous potential (and improvements), so you have any right to call them out.

Rafaelcsa

1. Super Mario Galaxy 2

3D platforming finally perfected.

2. Batman: Arkham City

Zelda-style game design (exploration/dungeons/puzzles/gadgets) + the most fun combat system I've ever encountered + the most fun stealth system I've ever encountered + the Batman universe greatly realized

3. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Another masterpiece of game design. 3D action-adventure perfected. This game has so much variety; it keeps throwing new stuff for you to do at every turn, just like the Galaxy games do. I loved every minute of it and I'm not even that much of a big Zelda fan.

Flakster99

1. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
2. Heavy Rain
3. Tales of Vesperia

Honorable mentions include Uncharted 2, Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition, and Super Mario Galaxy 2.

FracturedZero

Neo Member
Uncharted 2-great story and characters
Bioshock-incredible atmosphere
Mass Effect-thought it was good then I got to Virmire when it became great

Honorables
Modern Warfare
Arkham Asylum
Deus Ex
Dead Space

Guilty pleasure
Alpha Protocol

dark_souls_anor_londo_art.jpg

1.Dark Souls This game is a work of art in every way. It seriously transcends the genre, going beyond a mere toy into something far more refined. I don't know how to describe it, it's like being transported inside some classic novel or some Tolkein-esque encyclopedia . It doesn't feel so much as a game, but more like a place you go to. I'd say it's the only game that actually deserves its M rating because it's something that can only be appreciated by the adult gamer. The particulars of the game have been discussed to death so I won't bother. From Soft had flashes of brilliance with Demon's Souls, but I always thought that game should have been much more. That's what Dark Souls is, it addresses all the flaws of the previous game and then goes beyond to a level I've never seen a game go. They've set an extremely high standard now so it's going to be hard for Souls 3 to top it. I just hope they don't fall into the third installment curse we so often see with a series.

wallpaper_super_mario_galaxy_02.jpg

2. Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 Pure games. It's what Nintendo does best. Lovely music and art design. You can't help but smile every time you see this. The games make you feel like a kid again.

illzonempe3.jpg

3. Killzone 2 multi 32 player warzone is such an invigorating experience. You really feel like part of a team fighting a huge battle. Great gunplay with hip fire. Stellar art direction and level design don't hurt either.

Yagharek

Pretty easy to name the top 2:

1. Skyward Sword. Lovely, beautiful game with some of the most amazing vistas in any game Ive played to date. The three main areas were so densely packed with things to do that they never got old, despite repeated visits. It also helped that the controls were perfect and the last hour of combat in particular demonstrated this.

2. Super Mario Galaxy. I think I would list this over 2, only because it was newer at the time and the music was slightly more memorable. In either case, both games would be here except for the fact I am limiting myself to just one. In which case SMG gets the nod for Buoy Base, Gusty Garden, Battlerock, Toytime and the Melty Molten galaxy with the volcano and the incredible music.

3. World of Goo. Wicked sense of humour, addictive gooball strut physics for an engineering mind, and a haunting aesthetic all round. Pointer controls were perfect on this thing.

Close calls to being listed: Pixeljunk Monsters, NSMB Wii, Pro Evolution Soccer Wii 2011, Portal 2, Batman Arkham Asylum, Orange Box, but the top three were leagues ahead of the rest and were pure, brilliant games above anything Ive played in many many years.

I have two gaming "personalities," one that plays and loves single player adventures, and the other that loves to grab a room full of mates and play some multiplayer. Both personalities are wildly different, so I'm going to pick a Top 3 single-player and a Top 3 Multiplayer:

Single-Player:
Super Mario Galaxy
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Assassin's Creed 2

Multiplayer:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Wii Sports

XDhcJ.jpg

Honorable Mentions: No More Heroes, Zak & Wiki, Professor Layton, Ace Attorney, Deus Ex, Halo, Red Dead Redemption, Half Minute Hero, Phantasy Star Portable

Top 3 "Next Gen" Games (So Far): Kid Icarus Uprising

nXaMk.jpg

1. Flower : This game defines the generation in my mind. With a trio of consoles attempting to innovate in various ways with motion-control inputs, Flower was the only game that truly succeeded for me in this area. The game is entrancing, with gorgeous environments and a narrative that is concise while being evocative and poignant. I have no doubt that, many years from now, I will still look back so fondly on my time with it.

URdhN.jpg

2. Dear Esther : Is it even a game? Who gives a shit... Dear Esther is a mental challenge, both in how one makes sense of the game itself, and how one makes sense of it within the medium as a whole. It's a scintillating enigma in the midst of an industry currently mired in banality, clutter, and concession.

rPMSJ.jpg

3. Fallout: New Vegas : One of the finest RPGs ever made. New Vegas, particularly in hardcore mode, is the sort of RPG I envisioned as the future of the genre many years ago. It isn't perfect, by any means — the open-world is relatively too linear and a huge host of bugs certainly detracts a bit from it — but with clever writing, wonderful atmosphere, and charming character atop deep mechanics, it's the most fun and engrossing goddamn game I've played in many years.

Top Bottom