• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Who else misses the PS3/360 era?

Hohenheim

In the past few weeks i've played Sanabi, Lunacid,FF7 rebirth, slay the princess and Metro. All relatively new games, except Metro. LOTS of variety.
The variety in games these days feels better than ever to me.
Lots of cool stuff back then too of course, but those games are still available. I also remember lots of games as very brown back then, and the protagonists in every action game looked like the same guy.

Zadom

Had a lot of great games. I can’t believe I missed Sleeping Dogs. Just started it yesterday and it has been impressive. (By the way, less than 5$ on PlayStation store right now.)
aLM8l8p.jpg

F31 Leopard

PSWii60 is my favorite gen. Here are some games I liked from this era.

Wii: Wii Sports, Zack and Wiki, Fragile Dreams, Xenoblade, The Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Trauma Center New Blood/2nd Opinion/Team, Rhythm Heaven, Endless Ocean, Monster Hunter Tri, Sakura Wars SLML, Mad World, Sky Crawlers, Sin and Punishment. Little King's Story, Muramasa The Demon Blade, Onechanbara BZS, No More Heroes 1&2, House of the Dead Overkill, Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn.

PS3/360: Folklore, Nier, Demon's Souls, Darks Souls, Binary Domain, Bayonetta, Vanquish, Anarchy Reigns, DoA4, NG2 (Vanilla), Gears of War, Dead Rising, Lost Planet, Onechanbara BSS, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Valkyria Chronicles, Red Dead Redemption, Mass Effect, Way of the Samurai 3&4, Dead Space, Resonance of Fate, DMC4, SF4, BF Bad Company, Uncharted, Deadly Premonition. Yakuza 3&4, MG Rising, Mirrors Edge, Portal, Dragon's Dogma, Tails of Xillia, Guitar Hero, Rockband.

Humdinger

I do. I think gaming started to go downhill in about 2014 or so. I'm not saying it's bad -- there are bright spots -- but it's not as fun, varied, and creative as it used to be. As the medium has grown bigger, it's also grown more corporate and more infested with people who want to "reform" it. Games look better but are more homogenized, especially at the AAA level.

On the other hand, I think nostalgia plays a role, at least for me. I bought a used 360 about a year ago, thinking that I could revive my enthusiasm for gaming. It worked, but only for a little while. Now the 360 is in the closet. My enthusiasm petered out sooner than I expected it would. I'd forgotten that the "glory days" had problems of their own (graphics, performance, bad checkpointing, clunky interfaces, etc.). Also, I found that playing a game like this -- one from 15 or 20 years ago -- felt isolating to me. Unlike with modern games, there's no one to talk to about your experience, no one to trade opinions with or discuss mechanics, story, etc.

So I don't know. It's a mixed bag.

Crayon

Looking back at 2010, i got GoW 3, Bayonetta, Red Dead Redemption, Darksiders, Heavy Rain, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Enslaved, Dante's Inferno, Castlevania LoS, Limbo, etc

I like bayo and Mario Galaxy there. The rest, I could live without to say the least. That was my problem with that gen. People on here going on nuts for stuff like the darkness, Japanese developers struggling, PVP modes being stuffed into games.

There was always plenty to play, but I never felt in sync with the zeitgeist. So that gen was nothing special to me.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
2007 was the top of my gaming life. Mainly because of the DS, but I liked the Wii also. It was so enjoyable to watch the incumbents get their asses handed to them by a gen old hardware. It put into perspective what matters in the world of gaming, which is the entertainment, not the tecnology.

They caught up by the end, but not before some serious forced evaluations. That was fun, and interesting. I learned so much that year.

It was a huge disappointment for me. Hardware was awful, games ran very poorly, and many of my favorite franchises had bad sequels. I did get some amazing new titles out of it, but those titles were too ambitious for that hardware. I am also still salty that I bought PS3 to play the teased Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Kingdom Hearts III, and Final Fantasy VII Remake but Square Enix pretty much decided to take the generation off.
Fozzie Bear Reaction GIF

Last edited:

DinoD

Best generation for me. Kicked off with 360 and continued with 360 3rd party + amazing PS3 exclusives. This was the generation when online multiplayer kicked in and I was at the peak of my gaming prowess (30 yrs young),

kunonabi

PS3 was a complete non-factor to me outside of like 2 games but the Wii is my favorite Nintendo console and I got more mileage out of the X360 than I expected. As a complete generation it definitely smokes the last two.

Drell

Not really... Too much FPS/TPS with grey/brown/dark green colors everywhere. HD was the new hype but these consoles couldn't maintain stable performances even at 720p.

Oh and Nintendo got that "brillant" Idea to repurpose the Gamecube with a Wiimote and sell it to us with grey/brown/dark green Zelda of their own...

No really fond memories in my case...

Oh and Nintendo got that "brillant" Idea to repurpose the Gamecube with a Wiimote and sell it to us with grey/brown/dark green Zelda of their own...
I really enjoyed the backwards compatibility (before Nintendo abandoned it) and lightgun arcade ports for the Wii. The gamecube was too limited to support those.

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

Least favorite gen tbh. Every game was washed out, grainy, same colors.

Had some good games but not as much as previous or gen after.

I really enjoyed the PS3 console. The fat had a great design, and the operating system looked incredible, and was customizable.

I do not think I'm going to look at the PS3 time period as a great time period for games. I felt it was dreadfully slow.

I feel like 15 years ago there was a lot more variety, more innovation, and games were a lot more focused and well paced, without needles content just for the sake of it

Looking back at 2010, i got GoW 3, Bayonetta, Red Dead Redemption, Darksiders, Heavy Rain, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Enslaved, Dante's Inferno, Castlevania LoS, Limbo, etc

Now everything has to be bigger and bigger, or a live service, or a huge and forgettable open-world, or another souls-like

Games like those back in that era (and the PS2 for that matter) are fewer and far between, and that's honestly sad.

There was nothing varied or innovative about Red Dead Enslaved, Inferno. Darksiders, Bayonetta, Galaxy 2, GOW 3 or LOS. They were all doing much of what had been seen before only 'bigger and better' even Limbo wasn't that new in terms of gameplay and we do have the likes of Cacoon this gen if you like those sorts of games The issue we have now is how long it takes to make a game and is a major issue, but I do agree with you about getting sick and tired of Soul like games.

All that said there so many good games out there at the moment, its just ridiculous

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

When PS360 gen was around I hated the low IQ and framerates and I missed the heyday of JRPG on PS1-PS2, and lots of IP like DMC, Onimusha, etc. FF was on its lowest ever point with the PS360 generation.

But now I like it because I rebought a PS3 about 2 years ago. I now appreciate the variation it offered in retail releases compared to today. I can fire up like Virtua Tennis 3, Ridge Racer 7, Infamous 2, NBA Street, Driver SF, Motorstorm etc and yeah.. a lot of those these genres or IP are dormant now.

There are good games out right now mind you.

It was beautiful era but at that exact time Sony and MS starting a disaster what we have today. Both companies started to spend hundreds of millions on games and that was a economic war. Nintendo in other hand was too smart and have predicted what happened now in gaming, then act accordingly by skipping a generation and focusing on fun, low cost games with simplistic (but still beautiful) graphics. That obsession with graphics going nowhere, obviously.

Shifty1897

Probably my least favorite generation. There were some great games but I definitely played the least in my life between 2008-2013.

Zheph

It was a decent gen.
We are having stacked years back to back at the moment so maybe some of you just don't like the media anymore and are enjoying looking back more than seeing what's in front of you

I reckon if most IPs you enjoyed back then would come back you'll find a way to be disappointed anyway.

Last edited:

Borowski_1

It was a decent gen.
We are having stacked years back to back at the moment so maybe some of you just don't like the media anymore and are enjoying looking back more than seeing what's in front of you

I reckon if most IPs you enjoyed back then would come back you'll find a way to be disappointed anyway.

Many games now are bigger for the sake of being bigger, bloated, grinding. Remasters and remakes aplently. 28284 different versions of the Souls formula

And of course, live service garbage games that only exist to make money, not to be good

There are some bright spots, like Hi-Fi Rush, RE series, Alan Wake 2, Returnal, Ratchet, but everything else is meh.

Look at the 3 games Sony published this year: Rise of the Ronin, the bloated Ubisoft game. Stellar Blade, the 38648th version of Souls-like, and Helldivers, the money maker

Zheph

Many games now are bigger for the sake of being bigger, bloated, grinding. Remasters and remakes aplently. 28284 different versions of the Souls formula

And of course, live service garbage games that only exist to make money, not to be good

There are some bright spots, like Hi-Fi Rush, RE series, Alan Wake 2, Returnal, Ratchet, but everything else is meh.

Look at the 3 games Sony published this year: Rise of the Ronin, the bloated Ubisoft game. Stellar Blade, the 38648th version of Souls-like, and Helldivers, the money maker
I don't think it matters what comes out, you will be disappointed anyway imo.
There are new games coming almost everyday. This year we got something a massive hit like Balatro for example. I don't understand also the comment with HD2 "the money maker" its making money so its a bad game? I look forward Stellar Blade.

Borowski_1

I don't think it matters what comes out, you will be disappointed anyway imo.
There are new games coming almost everyday. This year we got something a massive hit like Balatro for example. I don't understand also the comment with HD2 "the money maker" its making money so its a bad game? I look forward Stellar Blade.

Its purppose it's to be a money maker. That's what a live service is. No one will remember about Helldivers 2 in a few years

Borowski_1

its the purpose of all the games, it's an industry????

You're missing my point. Some of these games are just products, fodder. No passion about them

Just there to please the investors.

You can't say the same thing about stuff like Hi-Fi Rush, Pentiment or Alan Wake 2. They're great games, and will make money because of it

Zheph

You're missing my point. Some of these games are just products, fodder. No passion about them

Just there to please the investors.

You can't say the same thing about stuff like Hi-Fi Rush, Pentiment or Alan Wake 2. They're great games, and will make money because of it
I understand your point but you are being harsh/unfair just because of a genre or a model. Ultimately HD2 is a very fun game to play and you don't have to spend more than the price of the game to enjoy it so I think you are also missing my point.

It was a long generation that saw a lot of changes and styles and indie games being very popular as well. Kind of wild to think back to 2005 and then to end with TLOU.

Seems western devs peaked back then and now it's been carried by Japanese titles while we wait for GTA6

without needles content just for the sake of it
rose tinted hindsight, I suppose. Previous gens were certainly more experimental, with controller layouts still not fully established and online becoming important, and more reasonably long dev times. But drug addict content... tacked on mp was already around in that era, in games no one asked for mp content, but it was required to have it as an included feature on the box even though only few played those and it was abandoned quite soon with the majority of games. Whereas now SP is tacked on in CoD and it's all about MP.

Great generation for brown shooters and waggle.

Came here for this. Gaf delivers.

Happy I Love You GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

'T was the gen of the Poo filter. And I hated EVERY SINGLE FUCKING GAME that used it.
And it was more of an in between Gen graphics wise.

Some games looked like previous Gen, others were OK.

No its the Gen that holds the least of fond memories for me. A forgettable era.

Except the Wii. Endless nights of playing bowling with friends and LOTS of weed. We literally converted my living room into a makeshift bowling alley for immersion.

Last edited:

Unknown?

I've also always wondered what would have been if the PS3 wasn't gimped with a last minute GPU missing unified shaders because their Toshiba plan didn't work out. Blu ray storage size, Xenos GPU + eDRAM, and the Cell, what would that best of all worlds have been like

Granted Cell was weird and took time to come to grips with, but by the end of the generation when devs were really using it, it was often just making up for the lacklustre RSX by doing preculling etc for it
I wish it had kept it's two HDMI ports and three Ethernet ports.

SHA

I'm tired of these stories that %99.9999 of the time the person don't have a f clue about pc, pc is a whole different world, not a master race, living in the console world is like the matrix world, you constantly forced to swallow the blue pill, just wake up from this nightmare, only infants think pc guys aren't on our side, this is stupid, you barely knew these people, bad tunes exist on every swamp, don't bother about these people.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
People saying the Wii was Nintendo making less core games when the thing had two Mario Galaxy games, two very different Zelda games, some of the best Kirby ever, and the last Wario game that isn’t a party game (and hand-drawn and animated at that)… I don’t know, really. Plus the Operation Rainfall trifecta, objectively some of the best Japanese RPG output of that whole generation (Pandora’s Tower is an underappreciated gem that too few people seem to have played). Also, Virtual Console!

Sure, JRPGs struggled, but those that struggled the most were the biggest IPs that had a hard time living up to the production values they were famous for, combined with a need to westernize graphics and designs while keeping anime tropes. This is how you get Lymle, that “dinner! dinner!” scene, and FF13, among others. AA JRPGs fared pretty well, all things considered; it’s in this gen that Atelier started to garner attention beyond its previously limited audience, and the same goes for Persona. It was just impossible to live up to the ridiculous PS2 JRPG deluge, of course; but if quantity unquestionably suffered, I’m not that sure quality really did.

Alan Wake

The last generation when I had that feeling of magic, and so many new franchises! Assassin's Creed. Mass Effect. BioShock. Gears of War. And Halo 4 looked incredible, the Uncharted games were amazing at the time. The Last of Us. So many experiences. But I had tons of fun last gen too. This current gen feels slow.

Generic

I like bayo and Mario Galaxy there. The rest, I could live without to say the least. That was my problem with that gen. People on here going on nuts for stuff like the darkness, Japanese developers struggling, PVP modes being stuffed into games.

There was always plenty to play, but I never felt in sync with the zeitgeist. So that gen was nothing special to me.
I miss the PVP modes, so many games today are singleplayer-only.

Top Bottom