• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (The Movie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

marrec

Banned
My LTTP on the Previous Movie:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=490207

It's been a few weeks since the last one, so here's a quick rundown:

At the beginning of August I'd never seen a single Harry Potter movie and had only read the first book. I'd intentionally avoided the series in any fashion out of a misplaced hate for it based on the first book alone. My SO, in an effort to make me pay for all that I've done, took it upon herself to get the movies via Netflix so we can watch them all in order.

Last time I watched 'The Order of the Phoenix' and this time I watched:

rRn8i.jpg

First let me apologize for the delay in creating this thread. It's been in the back of my head for at least a week and a half and yet real life would not allow me to sit down and do it. Well SCREW YOU real life! LOOK AT ME NOW!

The movie opens to the immediate aftermath of the previous movie. People are taking pictures with their inferior Wizard cameras of Harry and Dumbledore and Harry is looking none too pleased. (Are the photographers Wizards too? What kind of job is that for a wizard?) I enjoy that the director decided to deal with the aftermath of the Voldemort fight in that way. It's big news that he's back and Harry's the dude who has to deal with it so he's (once again) a celebrity. It's a very real way of showing that while Voldemort's return is a threat to everyone, only Harry is getting his ass beat because of it.

So far! Because the very next set of scenes involves the Death Eaters fucking with Muggle London. (Mugdon? Longle?) Very rarely have we seen the Wizard world interact with the Muggle world in any way and almost always there seems to be at least some kind of consequence for that interaction. Now we see not only some Wizards interacting, but we see them treating London like Johnny Depp treats a hotel room.

I don't know if that joke works anymore.

Not much happens because of this, it's obviously just to show that the Death Eaters do what ever the hell they want and you can eat a bag of vomit flavored jelly beans if you think otherwise. What would Voldemort's plan for Muggles be if he was able to... do whatever it is exactly that he wants to do anyway? These are the kind of things an aspiring evil dictator needs to think about.

For there we transition to Harry sitting in a diner reading a Wizard paper that impresses a pretty server. Instead of getting laid for the first time ever he's whisked away by Cockblockledore to a house being occupied by an old professor whom they trick into coming back to teach at Hogwarts. Dumbledore seems to want to involve Harry more in actually trying to stop Voldemort and explains to him that Slughorn is an important player in this war. The pacing in this film is already much better than the last and I don't feel lost yet at all. It seems like the director stopped trying to so blatantly ape the feel and tone of the 3rd movie and it's for the better.

The Headmaster then takes him to Ron's house where Harry and Ginny share an awkward moment made even more awkward for me because she's slowly, movie by movie, starting to look better than Hermione. Where as in the previous movies this part of the film moved at breakneck speeds, trying to get through all these bits so it could get to what was deemed more interesting bits, this movie has no problem taking it's time setting up for the rest of the film which isn't exactly action packed. Our heroes follow Draco to a shop where they see him, his mother (presumably?), and some nasty looking guy that's on some wanted posters.

At this point everyone SHOULD know that he's evil.

4A6Jm.jpg

Well, as evil as a 17 year old emo kid can be.

Snape turns out to be in deep double agent territory (or so I think) and has to make some magical pinky swear with Draco's mom. If this does turn out to be a double agent thing then I'm not entirely sure WHY he needed to do this... it's obvious he in some way arranged this meeting afterall. It could also just be that he wants to protect Draco from what happened to him after being lured into Voldemorts personal army.

Then they all go to school with a brief scene of Harry spying on Draco and Luna saving the day. Might I again say how grounding it is having an insane character to make everything else look relatively normal by comparison? I don't know if I would have liked to have her in all of the movies, but she's a great addition to the last two. Oh, before they go to school we get to see the Weasley twins new business venture and I have to say... it stands out.

Dumbledore wastes no time this year fucking around and tells all the students that Voldemort will push their shit in given the slightest opportunity. It seems irresponsible to have school this year, but maybe it's better to have the students busy with classwork instead of out there doing who knows what. For as much as he has manipulated Slughorn into teaching this year, maybe the ENTIRE year is a ruse simply to get information out of him. If this movie taught me anything about Albus Dumbledore, it's that he puts the defeat of Voldemort above everything else to the point of madness.

With the normal introduction out of the way, Harry finds a special book in the Potions class that lets him basically cheat his way through everything while everyone else bumbles around. Someone put a lot of hard work into finding out all the information in the book and Harry is just content to treat it like an Answer sheet. I know that he's only taking the class in order to pry information out of poor Slughorn's addled brain, but have a little self-respect man! This sequence starts a secondary plot that kinda of fizzles out and goes no where, but I'll get to that. Harry bests everyone else in class by cheating to get a potion of liquid luck. (The only real reason he needed the book to begin with.)

A lot of these regular school scenes are punctuated by Dumbledore and Harry conspiring to get what they want out of Slughorn. It serves well to break up the doldrums present in most of the other films and constantly reminds the viewer exactly what is going on. For story reasons this couldn't have been done before, but I would have really enjoyed all the other movies much more if there was these kind of secret top-level meetings interspersed with school related things. Dumbledore is at this point just using Harry but at least we get to see that there are pieces being moved around the chess board. (Unlike in the previous 5 movies.)

The idea is that the need to figure out what really happened between Voldemort (Then Tom Riddle) and Slughorn. The old professor has muddled with his memory, so he's obviously hiding something. The fact that Dumbledore has access to these memories is unnerving. A weird parallel to real life London where CCTV is everywhere. Dumbledore plays the roll of Big Brother, benevolent as he may be, and Harry is his unwitting pawn. Shit's getting very mature and serious very fast in this part of the story and suddenly little things start having much broader implication than just "Teenagers do stupid shit yall!".

Although, teenagers do still do stupid shit. The humor and humanity of the movie comes from Harry's growing affection for Ginny and Hermione's unrequited love of Ron. Both of these relationships probably cut deep for most people watching. Teenage angst over starting a new relationship and not being able to even have one are something that everyone can identify with and, as usual, the fact that these teens can all cast deadly spells makes for interesting drama. Hermione's troubles in particular are most poignant because the genders are usually reversed in popular media, with the boy looking on in anguish as the girl romps around with someone else.

For the first time in six movies, I felt like Hermione was more than just a walking talking Potter Wikipedia/Dues Ex Witchia.

These angsty scenes also have a darker twist as we continually see Draco having emotional trouble in dealing with his new position of Jr. Death Eater. He's lashing out much more violently then before and even cries in what I can only presume is helplessness with his lot in life. There's an unstated narrative of Father and Son here where Draco undoubtedly feels the pressure of redeeming his Father's failures. It's nice that they don't spell it out for you.

All of these machinations (including the C plot love stories) culminate in Harry FINALLY finding out what happened between Slughorn and Riddle. It turns out that Riddle asked the professor about Horcruxes. Magical charms that let a person split their soul so as to be essentially immortal as long as the soul is not brought back together.

Here is where I find issue with the story.

I get that the finding of the magic seals is a tried and true trope in fantasy fiction. But lets not be so heavy handed with it yes? Voldemort goes as far as to ask Slughorn 'Could you split your soul into seven parts?!' with a laughable gravitas. Why seven? Why not 100? Or 1,000? It's a stupid conceit and ruins an otherwise engaging and mature plot. So now, obviously, they're going to have to go on a magical journey to find all of them and destroy them. (Well, Dumbledore's around found a few, and Harry accidentally destroyed one.)

Armed with their new knowledge, Harry and the Headmaster fly off to some cave where inexplicably Dumbledore knows there is a Horcrux. An aside quickly... if Dumbledore was ALREADY collecting Horcruxes, and knew the location of the next one, why on earth did he have to manipulate Slughorn? Just to find out how many there were? To confirm his suspicions even though there was ample evidence already? The adding of these charms to the story is so far fucking awful and I hate Rowling for it. Anyway, they fly to this cave where to get the Horcrux Harry has to make the old man drink a bunch of rancid water that makes him cry and weak. Then they fight off a bunch of Smeagols and fly back to school.

Here we have another climax, the Death Eaters have broken into Hogwarts and are looking to wreck shit. Dumbledore tells Harry to hide as Draco makes his move to accomplish what was requested of him. The Death guys find them and cheer him on, but he just can't do it. Poor guy. Snape, sworn to finish Draco's deed if needed, crawls up and (on Dumbledores insistence)
Snape kills Dumbledore

Truth be told I was not able to remain unspoiled for this part. It was all over the internet for ages at the time the novel was released and became such a part of the internet culture that for all the trying you'd never be able to hide from it. So for me, I was not surprised. It seems that Dumbledore knew what was going on and knew that Snape, to remain undercover, had to kill him.

Harry goes after Snape (after the Death Eaters blow stuff up for shits and grins) and Snape then lets him know in the worlds stupidest climax that HE WAS THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE! To which I said... kay? Who cares. We dropped that story-line pretty much half the movie ago... does this get fleshed out later?

All in all, I really enjoyed this flick. Better than Order of the Phoenix, there are only a few glaring issues that mar the overall pace and plot. The acting is probably the best it's been out of Dumbledore and the guy who plays Slughorn is equally as fantastic. If only they didn't introduce these stupid charms I'd be VERY excited to see the next film. I'd heard this film described as slow in the past, but I think the slow pace is well suited for what I want from the story. I want them to be deliberate and measured without having to spell everything out and Half-Blood Prince mostly succeeded in this.

Cyan

Banned
Nailed it. Really enjoying your reviews.

As for the half-blood prince subplot... yeah. It wasn't all that much better in the books, although at least it wasn't dropped midway through. It mostly served to make the murder that much more of a gutpunch to Harry, as he'd kind of started to think of the HBP as a friend.

Also, my favorite scene in both the book and the movie is when he uses the liquid luck. So awesome.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
The book had a much better climax, and was done in such a way that for the 2 years between book 6 and 7 there were long discussions and debates about Snape's loyalty. I always thought the movie was trying to replicate that by having the dialogue between Snape and Harry be much shorter.

I wish there had been more backstory pieces, as the book goes much more in depth and organizes things well.

The scene with the Teachers looking over Ron, Hermione and Lavender in the hospital may be one of my favorite scenes in the series. The stone faces they keep is amazing.

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
Harry goes after Snape (after the Death Eaters blow stuff up for shits and grins) and Snape then lets him know in the worlds stupidest climax that HE WAS THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE! To which I said... kay? Who cares. We dropped that story-line pretty much half the movie ago... does this get fleshed out later?

It's basically the same in the book. Snape suddenly reveals it at the end and no one gives a damn. Bit strange that it was in the title, really.

Jarmel

Banned
The book had a much better climax, and was done in such a way that for the 2 years between book 6 and 7 there were long discussions and debates about Snape's loyalty. I always thought the movie was trying to replicate that by having the dialogue between Snape and Harry be much shorter.

I wish there had been more backstory pieces, as the book goes much more in depth and organizes things well.

The scene with the Teachers looking over Ron, Hermione and Lavender in the hospital may be one of my favorite scenes in the series. The stone faces they keep is amazing.

This, the movie ruined the stuff in the book. This was probably the worst movie as an adaptation.

It's basically the same in the book. Snape suddenly reveals it at the end and no one gives a damn. Bit strange that it was in the title, really.

It's just Rowling's way of trying to be clever without actually doing so.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Movie had a hilarious CGI goof too during the Felix scene in Hagrid's hut when Slughorn's hand occasionally passes through Hagrid's arm.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg9_4txd_MI

Eh, in the book it's a bit more effective reveal as Snape is pissed that Harry tired to use the sectumsempra spell against him, a spell Snape invented and just blurts it out.

marrec

Banned
The lighting in this film is badass. Props to whoever was in charge of that.

Seriously good job on the lighting, the opening feast speech was especially awesome this time around because of it.

Nailed it. Really enjoying your reviews.

Thanks!

As for the half-blood prince subplot... yeah. It wasn't all that much better in the books, although at least it wasn't dropped midway through. It mostly served to make the murder that much more of a gutpunch to Harry, as he'd kind of started to think of the HBP as a friend.

I figured that's why it was included, but it seems like such a throw away thing when considering it's the subtitle to your movie. By the time Snape revealed he was the Half-Blood Prince I really didn't care.[/quote]

Also, my favorite scene in both the book and the movie is when he uses the liquid luck. So awesome.

I enjoyed the hell out of that too, and the actor obviously had a lot of fun doing it.

It seems pretty obvious so far that Snape is doing what Dumbledore wanted him to do, my only question is WHY he had to make that pact to begin with. He was in the position of power during the meeting between him, Bellatrix, and Draco's mom.

I forgot to mention how much I loved that scene. The fact that this is taking place with Dumbledore and Snape in the room is amazing.

Khezu

Movie had a hilarious CGI goof too during the Felix scene in Hagrid's hut when Slughorn's hand occasionally passes through Hagrid's arm.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xg9_4txd_MI

Eh, in the book it's a bit more effective reveal as Snape is pissed that Harry tired to use the sectumsempra spell against him, a spell Snape invented and just blurts it out.

I always thought it was weird that Snape invented that spell. I mean in all the hundreds or w/e years of magic bullshit Snape is the first person to think of magic sword slashes?

I've read the books, but actually hadn't seen this movie all the way through, there was a surprising amount of stuff cut, but it was still pretty good.

Jarmel

Banned
I get that the finding of the magic seals is a tried and true trope in fantasy fiction. But lets not be so heavy handed with it yes? Voldemort goes as far as to ask Slughorn 'Could you split your soul into seven parts?!' with a laughable gravitas. Why seven? Why not 100? Or 1,000? It's a stupid conceit and ruins an otherwise engaging and mature plot. So now, obviously, they're going to have to go on a magical journey to find all of them and destroy them. (Well, Dumbledore's around found a few, and Harry accidentally destroyed one.)

The reason behind this is the more you split your soul, the bigger ramifications. Voldemort really pushed the limits when he did it 'seven' times but he could technically do more. As to why the limit is 7, well the books atleast established 7 as a magical number.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
It seems pretty obvious so far that Snape is doing what Dumbledore wanted him to do, my only question is WHY he had to make that pact to begin with. He was in the position of power during the meeting between him, Bellatrix, and Draco's mom.

Why he made what pact? The unbreakable vow? There was no reason not to. Dumbledore wanted him to kill him, and hence help Draco anyways so he had nothing to lose by making it. It also built his credibility with the Death Eaters. It's slightly touched on in the film, and more so in the book, but most of the Death Eaters did not trust Snape before he killed Dumbledore. Even Bellatrix, who worshiped Voldemort, though Voldemort was mistaken about Snape

Jarmel

Banned
I always thought it was weird that Snape invented that spell. I mean in all the hundreds or w/e years of magic bullshit Snape is the first person to think of magic sword slashes?

It's kinda bullshit we didn't see more spell invention throughout the entire series.

As cool as it is that you're going through these films and feeding GAF your impressions along the way, I can't help but feel surprised how much you're able to write about each of them. I mean, there really isn't that much to them.

Kimaka

Yeah, in the books they also go into how Snape came up with the name, he's halfblood and his mother's maiden name is Prince, but didn't go further than that. The title isn't as significant as it was made out to be.

The reason behind this is the more you split your soul, the bigger ramifications. Voldemort really pushed the limits when he did it 'seven' times but he could technically do more. As to why the limit is 7, well the books atleast established 7 as a magical number.

It was a pretty mediocre excuse, but it at least works as it's tied into his [Voldermort's] fascination with the magical worlds hairlooms and his own past - which in turn explains how Dumbelodore was able to sucessfully discover the Horcrux's location in the first place.

I haven't seen the film, but it seems a little odd they didn't explain those two points given how evidently important they are in the final installments.

marrec

Banned
As cool as it is that you're going through these films and feeding GAF your impressions along the way, I can't help but feel surprised how much you're able to write about each of them. I mean, there really isn't that much to them.
Well in the many years since the books and movies started coming out there has been a lot of discussion on the finer aspects of each. When I did the write up of the first movie it was more tongue in cheek but as I've gone through each movie in such a quick succession I find I have a whole lot to say about what is ostensibly a by the numbers fantasy tail.

Also I love the sound of my own voice a bit too much probably.

marrec

Banned
It was a pretty mediocre excuse, but it at least works as it's tied into his [Volermort's] fascination with the magical worlds hairlooms and his own past - which in turn explains how Dumbelodore was able to sucessfully discover the Horcrux's location in the first place.

I haven't seen the film, but it seems a little odd they didn't explain those two points given how evidently important they are in the final installments.
One of the many things that seem to be handled better in the books. I suppose you can't expect to cram every little detail into a 2.5 hour movie and the Horcruxes are kind of rubbish any way you spin them.

ascii42

I found it amusing how people were upset with Harry using the Half-Blood Prince's potion instructions. As far as I can tell, potions is just following instructions anyway. I guess he's kind of taking credit for someone else's insight, but whatever. Snape should have gone ahead and written a potions book if he obviously knew of better ways to brew potions.

The book is probably my favorite in the series. I liked Prisoner of Azkaban, but time travel is always frustrating. If you get around to reading the book, you'll get to see a few more Tom Riddle flashback scenes, which are nice.
The movie succeeds on many levels but fails on a few as well. Overall I very much enjoyed it, but get frustrated when I think about certain things. A few of the Harry/Ginny scenes were very awkward, for example (the shoelace scene was in this one, right?)

One of the many things that seem to be handled better in the books. I suppose you can't expect to cram every little detail into a 2.5 hour movie and the Horcruxes are kind of rubbish any way you spin them.

Yeah, it's why I never was against dividing the last book into two movies. They benefit greatly from having time to actually cover everything.

I have never watched a single Harry Potter film until last week. I have now watched all of them. So this is what I was missing out on? I rather enjoyed them.

I found it amusing how people were upset with Harry using the Half-Blood Prince's potion instructions. As far as I can tell, potions is just following instructions anyway. I guess he's kind of taking credit for someone else's insight, but whatever. Snape should have gone ahead and written a potions book if he obviously knew of better ways to brew potions.

I agree. Snape obviously couldn't find a publisher. Bleak wizard times.

Raonak

Banned
I liked it.

3 > 6 > 4 > 5

havent seen 7 and 8 enough to actively rank and 1 and 2 are too different from the rest of the series.

rekameohs

Banned
If you haven't watched them yet, I would strongly encourage watching both parts of Deathly Hallows together, although they do work on their own. Part 1's slower paced isolation and Part 2's grand spectacle work best as a whole, in my opinion.

It's the second best Potter movie. The washed out, monochrome look they gave Hogwarts was really good. I

enjoyed the scene at Hagrid's Cabin in the book, but that scene in the movie was soemthing else. Broadbent was fantastic.

Was there ever any insight given as to how Snape managed to come up with a new spell and do all these little tricks to make amazing potions?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Was there ever any insight given as to how Snape managed to come up with a new spell and do all these little tricks to make amazing potions?

It was implied in the book that the book was Snape's mother. Given that she kept an old school book, it's possible that she was an accomplished potions maker.

ascii42

All spells must have been created by someone at some point. Most wizards and witches probably never bother creating new spells, but some do. I never thought of the fact that came up with a spell as being noteworthy, just the spell he did come up with.

As for potions, he must have experimented a lot.

It was implied in the book that the book was Snape's mother. Given that she kept an old school book, it's possible that she was an accomplished potions maker.

I don't remember that at all. When did that happen?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
All spells must have been created by someone at some point. Most wizards and witches probably never bother creating new spells, but some do. I never thought of the fact that came up with a spell as being noteworthy, just the spell he did come up with.

As for potions, he must have experimented a lot.

I don't remember that at all. When did that happen?

They said that the book was old, over 50 years. Snape is in his mid thirties when HBP takes place.

the book. WAS his mother? This changes everything.

The book possibly belonged to his mother, but there's no doubt that Snape is the one who wrote all over it. Unless he has identical writing to his mother. We know Snape created sectumsempra and there was no indication it was written in different handwriting.

ascii42

The book possibly belonged to his mother, but there's no doubt that Snape is the one who wrote all over it. Unless he has identical writing to his mother. We know Snape created sectumsempra and there was no indication it was written in different handwriting.
However, if it was, that would explain why Hermione initially said the handwriting looked like that of a girl's.

Cyan

Banned

There really wasn't. Fan speculation (and *cough* fanfic) gets into ideas like there being deeper theory behind spells and potions, that Hogwarts is just a kind of crappy school that only teaches rote memorization, or alternately that while the theory is teachable, the people in charge are a bit worried about giving kids that much power.

It's one of the things JKR kind of just glossed over, possibly because she didn't really think about it.

Razek

Banned
I was actually surprised. I thought all those "Snape Kills Dumbldore" things were a lie all these years and just became a meme. Nope, it was actually true and kind of blew my mind in that scene.

Cheerilee

Not much happens because of this, it's obviously just to show that the Death Eaters do what ever the hell they want and you can eat a bag of vomit flavored jelly beans if you think otherwise. What would Voldemort's plan for Muggles be if he was able to... do whatever it is exactly that he wants to do anyway? These are the kind of things an aspiring evil dictator needs to think about.
Wizards (or any human for that matter) can inherit some or all or none of the magic of their parents, or they can spontaneously develop their own magic at birth, or they can get whatever combination of magics, or they can get none of the above.

The "pure blood" wizards believe that you can breed stronger magic by keeping it within the family, specifically a number of "houses" that were established ages ago.

Salazar Slytherin also believed that war with Muggles was inevitable (just a matter of time), and that certain classes of Wizard could not be trusted to side with Wizards in a war against Muggles. They might actually side with the Muggles. And those Wizards and their power would constitute a serious threat to the Wizarding world. "Mud bloods" are Wizards born to Muggle parents and raised in the Muggle world (like Hermione). They're the biggest threat. Half-bloods are Wizards born to blood-traitors. They're sort of a threat, but obviously even their trustworthy Wizard parents were proven threats, so what does that say about their half-Muggle children? Squibs are humans born to Wizards, but without any magical power at all (like Filch, the Hogwarts caretaker). They're Muggles, plain and simple. But they're Muggles that were born and raised in the Wizarding world, so they're loyal to the Wizarding world. Unless they were to suddenly decide to turn against their betters in retribution for a lifetime of treating them like the pathetic dirt that they are? So many threats all over the place... How best to deal with them?

The first step, according to Salazar Slytherin, was to deny them education. Keep them as powerless as possible. Maybe kill one or two with a Basilisk, just to send a message. Godrick Gryffindor said "Not on my watch, you won't."

Voldemort was a half-blood. Raised by Muggles even. He was a self-hating racist. Not sure what his plans were for the Muggles, or even if he had a plan, but it probably wouldn't have been good. For now, yeah, wreck shit and get away with it.

It's basically just there for a quest, but in the books they mentioned that Riddle was really good at Numerology, the magical science of numbers (Hermionie's also good at it), so he was basically applying a second layer of magic to a magic that already seemed incredible. According to Riddle's magic math (which we never see), it had to be seven. Not six, not eight. And if seven was possible, then horcruxes would go beyond immortality, they would be some kind of unexplored next level magical shit. Voldemort never got there, because Harry stabbed the diary.

As was mentioned, it was there to gut-punch Harry.

For years, Harry was unable to learn Potions from Snape. Bottom of the class, every time. He flunked out of Potions under Snape, and wasn't allowed to take it again. Fortunately for him, Slughorn doesn't mind having kids with sawdust for brains in his class. If they're willing to attend class, he's willing to try and teach them something.

Then Harry finds this book and it's telling him all the things he wants to hear. The book's wrong. Don't do this. Teacher's an idiot. Don't listen to that part. Teacher's not listening. Wrong wrong wrong. Boring. Lets stare out the window. No, do that this way instead. The book was speaking to Harry, instead of speaking at him.

Harry wasn't using a cheat sheet. Everybody had a set of instructions right in front of them, telling them exactly how to make perfect liquid death. Harry's instructions were just... different. That modified book was a perfect match for Harry's learning style. Harry stayed up late nights for months reading over and over everything in his Potions textbook as recreation and that helped him genuinely learn the art of Potions and score excellent grades in an advanced class, even when the book wasn't in his possession.

"The Prince" was someone who Harry identified with. The Prince was an anti-Snape. The Prince was Harry's friend. And then the Prince was Snape. The Prince who Harry trusted with his life was the Snape who just
killed Dumbledore

As for the name, Harry and company tried throughout the book to find out more about The Half-Blood Prince, to see if he could really be trusted the way Harry trusted him, but they hit a wall, because he seemingly didn't exist. And it turned out that he was no champion of the half-bloods, he was "The half-blood, Prince." Because Snape wanted to fit in with the pure-bloods of Slytherin, he denied his Muggle father's name and chose to use his mother's pure-blood maiden name, but he was always "the half-blood".

ascii42

This is THE BEST scene in the series. One of 2, maybe 3 scenes in the saga where I felt the same way I did reading the passages in the books for the first time.

Come to think of it, how in the hell did the Weasley brothers have enough money to buy that enormous shop in Diagon Alley? I thought they were poor?

In Goblet of Fire, Harry gives his winnings to them as a start up investment. Over the next year they start selling stuff and taking mail-orders (well, owl orders). I guess they made enough doing that.

Nicktendo86

Good film, bad adoptation. The book was amazing, my fave of the series and they cut so much out/down that the film was like a shadow of the book.

The film definitely felt the most humorous of the series and that ran parallel to the book in many ways. The story felt more laid back because there wasn't really a constant threat to Harry inside the castle like there has been in the previous stories: Quirrell/Voldy, Basilisk/Voldy, Sirius 'mass murderer'/Dementors, Death Eater at the TriWizard Tournament and Umbridge. Though it still managed to feel as dark as the Chamber of Secrets.

My favourite scenes:

Dumbledore conjuring the fire against the Inferi - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZTeHYpGq9E
Dumbledore's farewell - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FigH6-PXEiI

The music was fantastic.

marrec

Banned
It's the second best Potter movie. The washed out, monochrome look they gave Hogwarts was really good. I

enjoyed the scene at Hagrid's Cabin in the book, but that scene in the movie was soemthing else. Broadbent was fantastic.

That actor really held his own against the talents of everyone else. Best acted movie so far by far.

You saw 8 potter movies in 7 days? That's hardcore

I know, it's taken me almost 2 months to even get through 6 of them.

I agree. Snape obviously couldn't find a publisher. Bleak wizard times.

The wizarding public doesn't want dry potion brewing, they want sex! Sex sells my good lady and if you can spice up those potions with a bit of how's your father then we've got a deal!

If Snape was the Half-Blood Prince then why was he such an awful teacher? In the movies they show him as being the most boring and by the books teacher imaginable:

'Tuuurn to pageee 152 Mrrrrrr. Pppppotttteeer."

It would have been more intriguing all around if Snape was presented as someone who was acerbic but a genuinely good teacher.

The book is probably my favorite in the series. I liked Prisoner of Azkaban, but time travel is always frustrating. If you get around to reading the book, you'll get to see a few more Tom Riddle flashback scenes, which are nice.
The movie succeeds on many levels but fails on a few as well. Overall I very much enjoyed it, but get frustrated when I think about certain things. A few of the Harry/Ginny scenes were very awkward, for example (the shoelace scene was in this one, right?)

This is really competing with Azkaban in my mind for best movie so far. Azkaban told a really good self contained story in a way that was both fantastic and relatable. While this movie was, to me, much more exciting and mature. The character interactions between Dumbledore and Harry finally made sense and we got to see some behind the scenes stuff that I felt was missing before.

Yeah, it's why I never was against dividing the last book into two movies. They benefit greatly from having time to actually cover everything.

I'm hoping the pacing remains as excellent in the last two as it was in this one.

There really wasn't. Fan speculation (and *cough* fanfic) gets into ideas like there being deeper theory behind spells and potions, that Hogwarts is just a kind of crappy school that only teaches rote memorization, or alternately that while the theory is teachable, the people in charge are a bit worried about giving kids that much power.

It's one of the things JKR kind of just glossed over, possibly because she didn't really think about it.

I've always seen Hogwarts as a place for budding Wizards to learn that they are actually being controlled by the Wizarding bureaucracy and any attempt at even starting another school in order to teach the magic children actual theory would be stamped down. Of course, these events take place in one 7 year period during a time of conflict in this world... so maybe after things calm down they have the opportunity to get more into teaching theory and less about careful practicality.

Wizards (or any human for that matter) can inherit some or all or none of the magic of their parents, or they can spontaneously develop their own magic at birth, or they can get whatever combination of magics, or they can get none of the above.

The "pure blood" wizards believe that you can breed stronger magic by keeping it within the family, specifically a number of "houses" that were established ages ago.

Salazar Slytherin also believed that war with Muggles was inevitable (just a matter of time), and that certain classes of Wizard could not be trusted to side with Wizards in a war against Muggles. They might actually side with the Muggles. And those Wizards and their power would constitute a serious threat to the Wizarding world. "Mud bloods" are Wizards born to Muggle parents and raised in the Muggle world (like Hermione). They're the biggest threat. Half-bloods are Wizards born to blood-traitors. They're sort of a threat, but obviously even their trustworthy Wizard parents were proven threats, so what does that say about their half-Muggle children? Squibs are humans born to Wizards, but without any magical power at all (like Filch, the Hogwarts caretaker). They're Muggles, plain and simple. But they're Muggles that were born and raised in the Wizarding world, so they're loyal to the Wizarding world. Unless they were to suddenly decide to turn against their betters in retribution for a lifetime of treating them like the pathetic dirt that they are? So many threats all over the place... How best to deal with them?

The first step, according to Salazar Slytherin, was to deny them education. Keep them as powerless as possible. Maybe kill one or two with a Basilisk, just to send a message. Godrick Gryffindor said "Not on my watch, you won't."

Voldemort was a half-blood. Raised by Muggles even. He was a self-hating racist. Not sure what his plans were for the Muggles, or even if he had a plan, but it probably wouldn't have been good. For now, yeah, wreck shit and get away with it.

There are so many things I would have liked from this series. Maybe given us a book written from the perspective of the Muggle Relations Committee that has to explain all of these events to the Prime Minister of England and the Queen. Or maybe fleshed out Voldemort's plan for the rest of the world and give him a bit more depth of character. Currently he's played as pretty much the big bad boss guy who shows up to have epic fights with people then disappears as soon as he's even being close to beaten. A bit like a DBZ bad guy. His first real appearance in Goblet of Fire was so fantastic and interesting but the way he's enacting his plan (if he even has a plan) seems foolish and he's loosing a bit of that luster.

It's basically just there for a quest, but in the books they mentioned that Riddle was really good at Numerology, the magical science of numbers (Hermionie's also good at it), so he was basically applying a second layer of magic to a magic that already seemed incredible. According to Riddle's magic math (which we never see), it had to be seven. Not six, not eight. And if seven was possible, then horcruxes would go beyond immortality, they would be some kind of unexplored next level magical shit. Voldemort never got there, because Harry stabbed the diary.

Next level magic shit is what I want. It sounds pretty reasonable the way you explain it. (Though, Hermione being good at Nurmerology doesn't make sense considering she hates Divination...) At least there was a bit of an explanation in the books so I won't blame Rowling for that. I still HATE the idea of a tropey fantasy quest to bring all the piece of X together in order to beat the bad guy. :(

As was mentioned, it was there to gut-punch Harry.

For years, Harry was unable to learn Potions from Snape. Bottom of the class, every time. He flunked out of Potions under Snape, and wasn't allowed to take it again. Fortunately for him, Slughorn doesn't mind having kids with sawdust for brains in his class. If they're willing to attend class, he's willing to try and teach them something.

Then Harry finds this book and it's telling him all the things he wants to hear. The book's wrong. Don't do this. Teacher's an idiot. Don't listen to that part. Teacher's not listening. Wrong wrong wrong. Boring. Lets stare out the window. No, do that this way instead. The book was speaking to Harry, instead of speaking at him.

Harry wasn't using a cheat sheet. Everybody had a set of instructions right in front of them, telling them exactly how to make perfect liquid death. Harry's instructions were just... different. That modified book was a perfect match for Harry's learning style. Harry stayed up late nights for months reading over and over everything in his Potions textbook as recreation and that helped him genuinely learn the art of Potions and score excellent grades in an advanced class, even when the book wasn't in his possession.

"The Prince" was someone who Harry identified with. The Prince was an anti-Snape. The Prince was Harry's friend. And then the Prince was Snape. The Prince who Harry trusted with his life was the Snape who just
killed Dumbledore

Ah, in the movie they made it appear as if the text books the other kids were using was not correct and Harry had the only correct one. If it's as easy as following a certain set of instructions in order to brew this perfect potion then they probably shouldn't have gotten rid of the book. Get an editor, get a publisher, and make a better book for other kids. Bah! The stupidity of youth.

I said it above and I'll say it again, if Snape is this folk hero type of figure who connects with Harry via some book he wrote two decades ago, then why is he such an awful teacher now? Did Voldemort fuck him up beyond all recognition? Maybe it was the abuse he suffered at the hands of Harry dad.

As for the name, Harry and company tried throughout the book to find out more about The Half-Blood Prince, to see if he could really be trusted the way Harry trusted him, but they hit a wall, because he seemingly didn't exist. And it turned out that he was no champion of the half-bloods, he was "The half-blood, Prince." Because Snape wanted to fit in with the pure-bloods of Slytherin, he denied his Muggle father's name and chose to use his mother's pure-blood maiden name, but he was always "the half-blood".

That's just stupid enough to come from a 16-17 year old. *lol*

I said it above and I'll say it again, if Snape is this folk hero type of figure who connects with Harry via some book he wrote two decades ago, then why is he such an awful teacher now? Did Voldemort fuck him up beyond all recognition? Maybe it was the abuse he suffered at the hands of Harry dad.

He's not...exactly a bad professor. He favors Slyterin clearly for a reason. Beyond that to individual students he hates Harry. Being mean to Harry's friends is to agitate Harry. This comes together in a chapter in book 7.

marrec

Banned
He's not...exactly a bad professor. He favors Slyterin clearly for a reason. Beyond that to individual students he hates Harry. Being mean to Harry's friends is to agitate Harry. This comes together in a chapter in book 7.

Is he known as a competent professor though?

It doesn't seem ANY of the professors who've made their way through Hogwarts are worth anything except for Lupin (the 3rd one... hee hee).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

It doesn't seem ANY of the professors who've made their way through Hogwarts are worth anything except for Lupin (the 3rd one... hee hee).

It's really just been the DATDA class with inadequate teachers, well that and Divination. Snape, McGonagal, Flitwick and Sprout are all presented as very accomplished wizards in their fields, and other than Snape needing to refine his teaching technique a bit, they're all presented as good teachers. Hagrid might not be a great teacher, but he knows his stuff.

DD even though he isn't a professor anymore...well he's a genius and I assume he was good at teaching students.

McGonagall is highly regarded.

Snape is the professor we see most of next. He's highly regarded as a potions master and DADA.

Flitwick is supposed to be good.

Slughorn could hold his own.

I think there is one thing to note that the whole of magical education is poor when compared to our own education system. However Snape's actions towards Harry in particular are shown in what some call the best chapter of the series in book 7.

And yes, Lupin was the best in the book and in the movie with how he worked with Harry. And it's then shown in the book when Harry starts teaching everyone DADA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom