• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (The Movie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

marrec

Banned
It's really just been the DATDA class with inadequate teachers, well that and Divination. Snape, McGonagal, Flitwick and Sprout are all presented as very accomplished wizards in their fields, and other than Snape needing to refine his teaching technique a bit, they're all presented as good teachers. Hagrid might not be a great teacher, but he knows his stuff.

DD even though he isn't a professor anymore...well he's a genius and I assume he was good at teaching students.

McGonagall is highly regarded.

Snape is the professor we see most of next. He's highly regarded as a potions master and DADA.

Flitwick is supposed to be good.

Slughorn could hold his own.

I think there is one thing to note that the whole of magical education is poor when compared to our own education system. However Snape's actions towards Harry in particular are shown in what some call the best chapter of the series in book 7.

And yes, Lupin was the best in the book and in the movie with how he worked with Harry. And it's then shown in the book when Harry starts teaching everyone DADA.

That's all true, we don't see McGonagall teaching much and Sprout seems very competent. I am trying to relate the teaching of wizardry to something like post-secondary school in our world and it just seems like it doesn't match up.

The real disconnect for me comes from seeing how keen Harry is at potions using Snapes book, and then remember how awful Snape was at teaching (apparently). Since we mostly see Snape teaching I probably just associated his style with everyone else's style.

Also I'm probably thinking about it too much.

I'll just say that the full explanation of the Snape/Harry relationship is explained in book 7. It's explained well in the movie (part 2), just not as in depth as it is done in the book. Why Harry was so 'bad' at potions will make sense when you know it.

Well, but Snape can be good at potions but not being a good teacher. That's common. He's always shown as knowing what he's talking about, his problem is actually teaching others.

That's why he dislikes being the professor of Potions rather than DATDA, he considers they're so easy they're wasting his talent, and the stupid-ass students don't even get something that should be obvious.

marrec

Banned
I'll just say that the full explanation of the Snape/Harry relationship is explained in book 7. It's explained well in the movie (part 2), just not as in depth as it is done in the book. Why Harry was so 'bad' at potions will make sense when you know it.

When I post that LTTP thread I'd love to have a more in depth discussion about their relationship. Quick guess, does it involve Harry's father?

Well, but Snape can be good at potions but not being a good teacher. That's common. He's always shown as knowing what he's talking about, his problem is actually teaching others.

That's why he dislikes being the professor of Potions rather than DATDA, he considers they're so easy they're wasting his talent, and the stupid-ass students don't even get something that should be obvious.

Ah ha! Now it makes sense in my mind. That explanation fits Snape's character perfectly. Thanks!

Just a boring movie. The only parts I liked were the bits with Dumbledore.

You just boiled down my entire OP into two sentences.

Not really, I liked it a lot.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Just a boring movie. The only parts I liked were the bits with Dumbledore.

ascii42

That's all true, we don't see McGonagall teaching much and Sprout seems very competent. I am trying to relate the teaching of wizardry to something like post-secondary school in our world and it just seems like it doesn't match up.

The real disconnect for me comes from seeing how keen Harry is at potions using Snapes book, and then remember how awful Snape was at teaching (apparently). Since we mostly see Snape teaching I probably just associated his style with everyone else's style.

Also I'm probably thinking about it too much.
Post-secondary probably isn't the best analogy. Consider that they attend Hogwarts from ages 11-17.

Yeah, for time reasons, you don't see much of the classes in the movies. But I think it's generally accepted that most teachers apart from DAtDA teachers were good. In the books, a Centaur takes over for Divination after Trelawny was fired, and he was well liked. The only other one I can think of that was disliked was the History of Magic teacher, but that was moreso because he was boring. A lot of people didn't like Hagrid, but that was as much for his love of dangerous creatures as anything else.

When I post that LTTP thread I'd love to have a more in depth discussion about their relationship. Quick guess, does it involve Harry's father?

Ah ha! Now it makes sense in my mind. That explanation fits Snape's character perfectly. Thanks!

You just boiled down my entire OP into two sentences.

Not really, I liked it a lot.

1) Yes, but it's more complicated than just saying yes, lol.

2) Good description of Snape's teaching!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom