• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall 2012 Anime |OT| Meet the new world, same as the old world

Status
Not open for further replies.
This so-called "fourteen-year-old disease" works as a vivid representative amalgamation of the various immature behaviors that children are forced to give up as they age, and if the events of the series were meant to be symbolic instead of literal it would potentially ease my concerns toward Rikka, but taken at face-value and not as a representation of anything else, the "disease" just isn't something that I associate with the struggles of coming of age. Children certainly have wild imaginations, but an imagination so overactive that it completely obliterates one's ability to perceive reality as it actually is isn't relatable to me personally.

Yuuta's struggle to overcome his past and gain acceptance among his peers is actually my favorite thing about the show. If this was a story about him battling against his own eccentric tendencies, the content would be much more believable and I'd enjoy it a lot more. If we're talking about being able to relate to the difficulty that some people face in gaining maturity, the scene in the first episode where Yuuta is absolutely flabbergasted by a simple invitation to have lunch with a group of other students is the kind of thing I'm looking for--that immediately made me think "yeah, that was me at fifteen". If Rikka was, say, the same as Yuuta--delusional tendencies but earnest in a desire to gain social acceptance in spite of these quirks--the character dynamics would have more potential to go in some interesting places. Personally, I generally don't like any personality trait taken to an extreme.

But Yuuta's extreme effort to come off as "normal" is just as insincere as Rika's rejection of reality. If anything, the show is more about him growing up than it is for Rika.

Narag

Aikatsu 1

EZC7Al.png

No.
q2mGRl.jpg

Yes yes!

Fuck everyone who didn't warn me about the
2D animation
. I had high hopes for this so I'll continue albeit begrudgingly.

OceanBlue

But Yuuta's extreme effort to come off as "normal" is just as insincere as Rika's rejection of reality. If anything, the show is more about him growing up than it is for Rika.

Agreed. In my opinion, this show will about Yuuta's attempt at finding a personality that he can be comfortable with more than about curing chuunibyou. I guess it's a type of personality identification.

In fact, the description of chuunibyou in the beginning of the show--that some teenagers will suddenly drink black coffee despite not liking it or listen to foreign music despite never having shown an interest before--kinda reminds me of this idea: http://psychcentral.com/lib/2007/your-teens-search-for-identity/.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Agreed. In my opinion, this show will about Yuuta's attempt at finding a personality that he can be comfortable with more than about curing chuunibyou. I guess it's a type of personality identification.

In fact, the description of chuunibyou in the beginning of the show--that some teenagers will suddenly drink black coffee despite not liking it or listen to foreign music despite never having shown an interest before--kinda reminds me of this idea: http://psychcentral.com/lib/2007/your-teens-search-for-identity/.
That's pretty much what I thought it was about, and it's part of the reason why I like it so much so far.

Medaka Box Abnormal - Episode 1

I might be the only one who likes the troll opening, but it feels like its par for the course with Medaka Box, given that its a series that's perfectly comfortably poking in holes in stuff as it is.

I like it too in a sort of masochistic sense. It's just such a gloriously painful troll.

Un-go ep 1 (dub)

OP from School Food Punishment is awesome the first moment it plays and the Ending animation is really stunning. I like the song alot though cant recall having heard anything else from the group. For the mystery almost fail victim to doing like most of the characters and jumping to the wrong conclusions
in the end called the person who did the murder wrong. Though it seems she wasnt punished for it, I think?
. Yuuki's is an interesting character and should where the shades more, while, Inga is kind of annoying
though the power when she transforms was incredible in how it was handled
. I want Hayami to have a bigger role.

Voice acting to me was impressive and solid all around for an english dub, I think mouth timing is visibly off though. Will still retain my preorder for the blu ray and patiently wait to finally see episode 2 once it comes.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Yuuta actually wants to be normal, though, which is his biggest difference from Rikka. There's nothing insincere about hiding your own nature if you genuinely want to change.

Tomat

The first episode of Code Breaker wasn't all that bad either. Decent animewatch.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb 02
I don't really get it I guess. It's not very funny, it's not very interesting, and it's not particularly attractive on a visual level.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Watching in order of quality from top to bottom.

From the New World
My Little monsters
Jo-Jo bizarre adventure
PSYCHO-PASS
Magi

Still need to watch: crazy autism girl kyoani animu, sukitte ii ya no, kamisama kiss.

Dropped: Zetsuen no Tempest.

From the New World 1

Wow, this was really good. Mysterious and scary and beautiful all at the same time. Most hyped show of the season for me, by far.

Tomat

From the New World 1

Wow, this was really good. Mysterious and scary and beautiful all at the same time. Most hyped show of the season for me, by far.

Just finished watch that too, it is good. If they really did revert back in technology after a millennium, I'd really like to see what's left of the "old world." I like how NIER did it, so it'll be interesting to see what this FTNW does.

I have to ask though: Why is everyone so fuckin mad in this show?

Soma

Totally premature impressions list so far:

Awesome Tier
From The New World
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun

Not as awesome but still great Tier
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!
Psycho-Pass
JoJo's Bizarre Adventures

Pretty Great but less great than the previous Tier
Zetsuen no Tempest
Magi
Medaka Box Abnormal
Robotics;Notes

Will probably wait for the BluRays Tier
To Love Ru Darkness

Why did I think this was a good idea to watch Tier
Busuo Shinki
Ixion Saga (Well it wasn't that bad but I just found it incredibly bland)

Might watch if I keep seeing good impressions here Tier
Kamisama Kiss
Sukitte Ii na yo
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo

I have no shame Tier
OniAi

Ultimadrago

Robotics;Notes 1

First off, this is one of the worst OPs I've had the displeasure of hearing all year. The song was most unpleasant on the ears. The visual workings of the opening weren't a treat either. Similar sentiments go for the ED as well.

As for the episode, it was largely a slog. A note I have to mark is the music accompanying the scenes with the club consultant (and the hallway) in the first-half. It wasn't complimentary at all and dragged me out of immersion. The characters (Akiho, Kaito) haven't shown any elements worthy of initial intrigue. As far as "genki" girls are portrayed, I either find myself enjoying them (rare) or disliking them (common). Akiho is definitely leaning towards the latter party. In fairness, both characters were cumbersome to watch by the end of it all. That said, the general art and animation are quite decent.

Overall, the episode was a meager work. I'll stick around for some robot battles, ideally they'll make for something much more entertaining than this flat beginning was.

More Accel World related goodie. Wondering if this steady flow of AW stuff will give rise to Season 2. Hmm...

a second season is needed ...you guys maybe don't know but there such awesome fights waiting to be seen ..i must see them animated ...

Not really. It is entertaining at times, but never excellent. The one time is starts to get really good, Kumagawa ruins everything.

kumagawa ? Ruin ? DOES NOT COMPUTE

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

Dark Pimp Master

Still have to watch PsyPass and RoboNo but enjoying everything else quite a bit. K and Girls Und Panz are pretty meh IMO but SSY, Chuuni, Jojo and Magi have been A+.

Kusagari

Medaka Box Abnormal - Episode 1

I might be the only one who likes the troll opening, but it feels like its par for the course with Medaka Box, given that its a series that's perfectly comfortably poking in holes in stuff as it is.

I did enjoy it in a masochistic way considering it's so insanely fitting for a Gainax/Nisio anime. I'm actually surprised they didn't throw in Emukae, the Hipster and others for maximum trolling.

Nafe

The "contagious" part made reference to how unstable people can act violently in situations like that they are involved in, out of revenge, extreme fear and more... this can cloud their minds and therefore that person could be a threat to others. The system interprets it as an immediate criminal behavior even if the situation is something very spontaneous, and that literalness in the analysis is the problem with those judgments.

Yep. The fundamental problem here is relying on devices that can't comprehend the humanity, the nuances in context, and judge like that without hesitation, without feelings.

I wanted to highlight the part in your second statement to go along with the first, that is the idea of context behind the stress or anxiety a person may be feeling. This seems very important because for a system that so indiscriminately paints things in such a black and white manner, it seems like it's just ripe to be very easily exploited, abused and taken advantage of by others.

An example of stress that could potentially harm others already mentioned is someone yelling "fire!" in a crowded theater, thus causing people to panic and potential hurt or kill someone by trampling them. This stress would perhaps be picked up by scanners just outside or near the theater as people were escaping. Due to the systems nature it seems it would flag these people as potential threats that may need to be subdued. That is just one example and there are many other examples which could lead to more extreme or confrontational outcomes. Since the system doesn't discriminate, how then does it now differentiate between all these cases, some of which may be legitimate threats others which may be more just false positives due to a prank?

Something else I've been wondering if the show will address is, for a system that's so incredibly computer focused what happens when the system gets hacked? Basically imagine a group like anonymous getting access to the psycho pass system. That certainly seems like it would open up quite a can of worms.

jbug617

Banned
The shows that I will probably stick with is

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo
Jojo's
Zetsuen no Tempest: The Civilization Blaster
Hayate no Gotoku! Can't Take My Eyes Off You
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Robotics;Notes 1
First off, this is one of the worst OPs I've had the displeasure of hearing all year. The song was most unpleasant on the ears. The visual workings of the opening weren't a treat either. Similar sentiments go for the ED as well.
mDOdn.gif

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. You gotta be kidding me. Not that I think it's the greatest or anything but there are so many worse OPs I've heard in like the last few days even.

Branduil

Blast of Tempest 2

iNsDfUd29Rl9Z.jpg

Uh, what? That's obviously not true.

This show is really silly. Were the three mains all in a Shakespeare club or something?

Also, is it going to be explained why Samon
stranded the girl on an island instead of just killing her?

Tomat

Blast of Tempest 2

This show is really silly. Were the three mains all in a Shakespeare club or something?

Because he's a sadistic asshole and held a deep hatred for the princess and wanted her to die slowly.

Blast of Tempest 2

Yes, it will.

And yeah, all the dialogue is just really silly.

Ultimadrago

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat. You gotta be kidding me. Not that I think it's the greatest or anything but there are so many worse OPs I've heard in like the last few days even.

Perhaps a pinch of exaggeration on my part, as there have been a handful of terrible OPs this year.
However, the one belonging to Robotics;Notes doesn't fall too far from that tree.

Articalys

I don't know if I should be impressed or ashamed by the fact that every time I go to Kinokuniya, I can recognize exponentially more of the manga and light novel series thanks to anime adaptations.

Uchip

Banned
chuunibyou 01
what the fuck? I thought this was about kids with big imaginations
it turns out they suffer from a subset of schizophrenia...
why are happy ragtime ditties accompanying their hallucinations?
why is there such an under reaction of being ostracized by his peers?
is this really an entire show based on how amusing it is for people to be delusional?
I feel sick, fuck you kyoani

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom