• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are there no good dinosaur games?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
People should play more Jetpack Brontosaurus.

Jetpack+Brontosaurus.jpg

I'm trying too, but this flash game is so old it doesn't detect my videocard as compatible: http://blurst.com/jetpack-brontosaurus/

Off-Road Velociraptor was pretty good too: http://blurst.com/raptor-safari/

because people rather kill people and look at the walls and cloths now a days. Budget price will increase as the demand for greater graphics will increase and studio will not do experiment as it will be expensive and we won't game with dinosaur. this gen should last at least 3-4 years more. gaming development should become cheap and you will get variety of games.

Oersted

Game developers would needed to be inventive to make a proper dinosaur game. You can´t easily put dinosaur behind a steering wheel or give them a gun, without making it look silly. Dudebro doesn´t want silliness.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Wow...

In this topic no one played Jurassic Park: Operation Genesis, the best Jurassic Park game.

Jawmuncher

It's like this thread was made for me.....Why did I miss it :(

But seriously, why there are a few good Dinosaur Games (Mainly Dino Crisis but still).
Dinosaurs in games is something that just needs to happen more. It's always boggled my mind why we don't see then very often. It's usually a few games per gen and thats it.

Ranger X

Games about Dinosaurs are generally shitty because Dinosaurs ARE too freaking cool and with alot of videogame potential. Ironic isn't it? Well, most think that Dinosaurs are so cool they can easily sell their games. Therefore nobody ever put more than 5 seconds of thoughts about why making a GREAT game about Dinosaurs and how to make it. They just slapped Dinosaurs here and there because it went ala mode and because they are freaking awesome. This is in return what killed it all. Now nobody is interested in Dinosaurs anymore because publishers are living in their goddamn fantasy world in their mind and think Dinosaurs aren't cool anymore. The only think that isn't cool is people receiving shit games from them but they can't realise this.

There was a Jurassic Park game for the Mega Drive that I remember being pretty awesome. You could either play as Dr. Grant or as a goddamn Velociraptor.

I think the second or third level in the Grant campaign was this crazy boating level with heaps of vertical drops and jumps. It was nuts!

Edit: Jurassic Park for the Mega Drive

Looks like the Mega Drive version was the only version that was that awesome though.

ZiZ

when I was a kid there was this cool game on PC where you could mash up dinosaur parts to make your own dinosaur (T-Rex body with a triceratops head and a stegosaurus tail was a disappointment because it was a herbivore).

it was 2D with a top down view. can't remember the name.

Jurassic Park ruined dinosaur games.
Until we can get a game that looks as good as that, the dinosaurs just aren't interesting.
A game where you go back in time with huge open areas ala Xenoblade and hunt dinosaurs ala Monster Hunter would be amazing though.

Yoshi's Island is THE dinosaur platformer and Yoshi in SMG 2 is THE Dinosaur Space Opera (paging Kajiima).

A video game based on Future War would be one funny, action packed dinosaur game (and a potential Ninja Gaiden killer heh heh):

500full.jpg

Also, not sure if this has been mentioned, but Peter Jackson's King Kong: The Official Game of The Movie (best title ever) was pretty cool.

5-king-kong.jpg

Sendaquill

Neo Member
Go Home Dinosaurs is pretty fun. It's a tower defense game for Chrome. Still in beta, though, so there aren't many levels to play.

Arklite

Dino Crisis franchise had it all. Survival horror with Dinosaurs in DC1. Arcade dual wielding action in DC2.
Regina's punk hairstyle in both.

tumblr_ljr65u7F3d1qauetjo1_500.gif

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
No good dino games?!

iCb981OiJmJHq.gif

Likewise. That section in RE6 with the t-rex style boss is about the closest thing we'll get after DC3 derailed and buried everything.

I'd love a sort of free-roaming DC with islands like the ones in Jurassic Park, using Cry Engine 3 for jungle enviroments and being an 3rd person shooter.

Would be awesome to explore and overgrown research and dinosaur park.

Pineconn

I was addicted to this game when I was younger. Damn good times.

256px-Carnivores_cover.jpg

God, this. If I remember correctly you had to shoot a T-rex in the eye to kill it, lol. Let's just say I missed once or twice.

I also recall using the sniper rifle to shoot something small, and out of nowhere a T-rex ate me. I absolutely shrieked. Damn game.

MachoSuave

Neo Member
Warpath_-_Jurassic_Park_PSX_10.jpg

I can't have been the only person on the planet to play Warpath: JP.
Or maybe I was, thinking back it wasn't that great really, still played the crap out of it though.

Also Dino Run SE is pretty cool on the platforming(ish) side.

Top Bottom