• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Good games you’ve randomly dropped

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
So, so many thanks to Gamepass.

If a game doesn't grab my attention in 20 minutes then it gets deleted and download something new.

Before GP, I'd always finish a game because I'd spent money on it. Now I have hundreds of games for a small monthly fee, so I don't feel as committed in completing something that doesn't grab me from the get go.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Alan Wake 2, FF16, FF7R, Fire Emblem, Mario + Rabbids 2

xrnzaaas

If a game doesn't grab my attention in 20 minutes then it gets deleted and download something new.

Before GP, I'd always finish a game because I'd spent money on it. Now I have hundreds of games for a small monthly fee, so I don't feel as committed in completing something that doesn't grab me from the get go.
That's actually why one of the reasons why I've stopped playing games through Game Pass. I was starting tons of different games, but finishing only a handful of them and I didn't like that and I didn't find it to be a healthy approach. What's funny is that I've played several abandoned GP titles on my own and I finished almost all of them. Suddenly I was thinking about spending money on buying them and I wasn't in a race to play them before the sub lapses or the next month's lineup arrives.

I will say a cheap monthly sub is still the best way to treat some games as trials to find out if they're interesting for a later purchase.

Hohenheim

Disco Elysium.
Loved the vibes and the writing, but as a crpg-ish videogame it was such a bore.
Wish it was a graphic novel instead. Or even better: a novel in traditional book form.

Edellus

H:ZD
GOW (2018)
Ghost of Tsushima
Resident Evil 4 (2023) (For real, just hate this remake)
Gran Turismo 7
Elden Ring
Alien Isolation
DeathLoop
Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart
Returnal
Control (big Meh)

It's just me, just hate state of gaming and myself.
Dropping Returnal is a straight up sin.

Alan Wake 2.

I'm surprised how much I don't like it considering how much I loved the first one all those years ago. It's just...a bad game. It's an ok movie/show, but as a game, it sucks ass. Very disappointed. I quit after about 12 hours, I just was not liking it at all. I can't believe the adulation it's received.

Last edited:

Mooreberg

Modern Era:

TLOU2 - "nope'd" out at the football stadium. Didn't care for the story. Seraphites seemed like a shitty version of The Whisperers. Environment got monotonous compared the cross country journey of the first game. Probably the most indifferent I have been to the first sequel of an all time favorite since Halo 2 or MGS2. And even those were played through multiple times.

Doom Eternal - Didn't hook me like Doom 2016 did. Might go back to it at some point.

RDR2 - Great game, but I didn't have time for it when I bought it and never got back to it.

Horizon Zero Dawn - Loved the game, probably got 20+ hours into it, but started playing other stuff and did not finish it. RIP Lance Reddick.

Resident Evil 7 - I liked the new premise, but I pretty much bounce off of "survival horror" games quickly.

Wolfenstein Young Blood - okay idea, monotonous execution.

Destiny 2 - Actually finished the main campaign and what was included in the 2018 add on retail package. But I dropped it after that, and never even ran through what I own with Warlock or Titan (if I've got the name right). This franchise has just always had the worst cost/content ratio ever. God have mercy on whoever paid a combined $60 for the first two expansions on this and the first Destiny.

Historical Record:

RE4 - Too much QTE in instances that should have just been real time, ordinary combat. Might try remake full package when it releases.

KOTOR2 - PC performance was shit even well after release, and the extended sequence where you cannot play as your own main character made me lose interest.

Final Fantasy VII - save file vanished, never restarted it. I guess I will try Rebirth whenever I get around to owning a PS5.

Wind Waker - Got completely bored with the sailing.

Super Mario Sunshine - simply lost interest.

Final Fantasy XV - not sure this even qualifies as "good" but it seemed like a step back from FFXII in every respect. Weirdly, I did finish FFXIII despite reaching the same conclusion regarding its quality.

TL;DR - Not a huge RPG or Survival Horror person.

_Justinian_

Gold Member
Satisfactory. It pulls me in for 50-100 hours and then I just stop and pick it up again a few months later (a new update releases and I start all over) for about 50-100+ hours. I still haven't made it all the way to Tier 8 yet.

Cities Skylines 2. I really enjoy it, but it needs to cook a little more before I jump back into it again.

King Dazzar

RE4 remake is on the edge of being dropped. About halfway through, but it all feels a bit clunky to play. A lot of the time I persevere just to justify the purchase but also a lot of the time to try and "get" why everyone else loves it. Death Stranding, Yakuza Like a Dragon, Demon Souls remake. Not for me really, though with some of those I at least can understand why others might like them.

april6e

Doom Eternal. The game is great but I lived through the FPS craze of the 2000s where you couldn't turn around without seeing yet another brown, boring Call of Duty clone being released. Even when a good shooting game gets released, I can't bother to get excited about them anymore.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
I remember back as a kid I was walking home from my great grampa grumpys house. He had bought me a ff7 disc for ps1. He said that he bought it for me to get me to shut up about it.

As I was walking home I tripped on a cat and my ff7 disc fell out onto the street. Before I could pick it up, a car came and smashed the disc.

That was the first time I dropped a good game.

Sadly I didn't get to experience ff7 until years later because grampa blew all his money on hookers, and pixie dust.

Competitive online games where you are forced into trios or teams.

League of Legends
Overwatch
Apex Legends
Counter Strike
Valorant
Rainbow Six Siege

I guess I'm just tired of playing a game where a match can last up to 20-30 minutes and at the end of it, everyone on the team doesn't even feel good because all we've been doing is either:

A) Commanding others nonstop
B) Blaming weaker team members nonstop
C) Getting angry nonstop (when losing)

I don't know how people do it. Whenever I play modern PvP games I stick to whatever offers a deathmatch mode because I just want to have fun and shoot stuff. I'm currently waiting on The Finals to offer a DM mode, because the game looks fun, but I don't want to bother teaming up with 2 other people playing capture objectives again.

Paasei

Guardians of the Galaxy
Elden Ring
Metroid Dread

I like all these games. Only with Elden Ring I can find an excuse: time. I don’t want to play that game for an hour or maybe 2 at the post a day. It’s just too short for me to be able to dive in such a big game.

tr1p1ex

I know why I quit. I am just not having enough fun because it's a meh game or it's been there, done that.

Or I get away from it because of lack of time and then I forget about it and/or don't want to spend the time to get back up to speed.

Or my kid plays my save without me and gets too far ahead and that ship has sailed.

Sometimes you get to a part of a game that is too hard or too tedious and you just lose interest. You've had your fill.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I was just thinking how I got half way through Hogwarts Legacy last year and had a great time with it.

Then I just randomly stopped playing it and never had the urge to jump back into it.

Most of the games I drop are due to them being boring, not having the time, them dragging out and stuff like that.

But in a case like this it’s a one off where my interest died and I couldn’t even tell you why.

What about for you guys?
Same here, but often a new game comes out and takes my attention.....and rarely go back.

Neon Xenon

Witcher 2. Can't explain what happened or why, but my last save was 2022, and the last save before then was 2016. I think I was just very on/off with the game.

That said, I picked it up again on Sunday after reinstalling it. Something with the game clicked with me now, and I like it again.

There's more than a few games I could mention for this thread, so this is far from the last post I'll make here.

Justin9mm

Alan Wake 2, instantly hated it. Usually, I can understand when a game is great even though I don't like it, but this is one of the rare occasions where it's real hard..

Also Spider Man and Horizon, I just don't get it at all.
Yet to play AW2, agree with Horizon but Spider Man, you trippin. Combat is so fun lol

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

GP is modern day way of renting/demo. Since you dont get rental stores anymore and also hardly any devs do demo/beta/trial downloads like the 360 era, I'll try games out too. If it sucks I drop it and thank the lord I didnt buy it. And if the game is good I'll keep playing it. I play on sub plan. And they get my sub plan fee cut.

Even for predictable games it's a great money saver. I've had my fun dabbling with The Show the first few games. Skipped last year. Might try it again as it'll probably come on GP again.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Remnant 2

I enjoyed the game. Boss fights were fun, but I stopped to try Lies of P, loved that far more and just never went back to it.

Same thing years ago for Fallout 4. I loved 3 and New Vegas, liked 4, but I started in feb/march of 2016 then Witcher 3: Blood & Wine came out. I went to that, some multiplayer games then Uncharted 4 and just never got back to Fallout 4 despite enjoying my time to that point.

Pelao

I always have a good time with any Yakuza I play, but then I drop it for some reason.
I don't have trouble playing long games, so I don't really know what it is.
The only one I've managed to make a fair amount of progress with, slowly but steadily, is Ishin.

Honestly. I’ve stopped these games solely because I work around 3 jobs one being dance and I’m just fatigued on my days off. However, been SLOWLY putting in 2 to 3 hours into single player games a week in hope to finish something, lol.

GoW:R - around Galway’s through.

Spider-Man 2 - literally the last chapter :🤦:

Cyber Punk: waited for the upgrades started it. Randomly stopped.

FF VII: literally picked it back up today after playing a bunch around launch. Finally got it chapter 9.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy
I do that with a lot of games Did that with BotW. Stopped playing it then years later restarted it. I would only play that game and took me a few months but I managed to get to the last boss and defeat him.

Really enjoyed it.

Currently doing the same with totk

If I get bored or want a break. I usually play an arcade style game. Nothing with a massive campaign to cleanse the pallet as it were.

Eimran

Yeah, but why do you drop them? Too long, overstretched gameplay?
Most of these are at least semi-open world.

Knowing that I don't have as plenty as time as when I was in my twenties, I'm already less eager to start a non-linear game.

So when I do, it pretty much has to suck me in from the beginning. And these are all great games, but nothing of them has any new elements that I haven't seen in past games I played.

tldr: Since I have less time, I don't enjoy gaming as much as I used to and these open world games sometimes feel more like a chore.

tibia

Neo Member
Relevant topic. Too many games to choose from while most of us are also older. Gone are the days of beating Megaman or Contra in 1 hour.

The Witcher 3: not interested in riding horse for hours
God of War 2018: not interested in traveling
Zelda Totk: too many puzzles
Tales of Arise: meh. Dont like animation style
FFXVI: too spam heavy, not traditional group adventure
Sea of Stars: can't grind levels early efficiently, which is essential to JRPG freedom
Armored Core VI: feels like a huge commitment

Pretty much the only games that i can commit to are ones like Megaman or Souls. You start, you pick your areas and bosses, and you finish the games in one sitting. Feels empty lol

Kindela

Banned
What's the criteria here? Games I personally consider to be good but haven't finished them for whatever reason? If so, those are really rare. Usually if a game is good I finish it. But the three exceptions that come to mind are:

Hollow Knight
Enjoyed it a lot, even though it was frustrating at times. I played it for probably 20+ hours, but at one point realised I'm getting too annoyed, and that I'm ready for the game to be over. But it wasn't, so I dropped it.

GTA IV
Don't know if I've even passed the halfway point, but I really liked the atmosphere, driving around and listening to music. The missions unfortunately started to drag a bit, and were brutal with their checkpoints if I recall correctly.

Fallout 4
Really liked the exploration, combat, crafting gameplay loop, but couldn't be bothered with the story. I'll most likely try it again once the 60 fps patch drops.

Last edited:

Regginator

Dragon Quest XI Echoes of an Elusive Age
Divinity Original Sin 2 (on console)
Outer Wilds
Ghost of Tsushima
Devil May Cry 5
Deathloop
Borderlands 3
Wolfenstein The New Order

Most of these are (or were) on PS+ Extra, so that's probably why I dropped them relatively fast. If I had outright bought them, I would most likely stick with them much longer. But if they're free (or technically not, since I paid for the sub of course), then I usually only give it an hour or two, and if it doesn't get hold of me by then, I drop them fast.

All of them reviewed well and I'm sure they're great games, but not something I wanted at that time. That being said, I'm probably returning to DQ11 and Outer Wilds at some point.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Yet to play AW2, agree with Horizon but Spider Man, you trippin. Combat is so fun lol
Subjective opinions are often trippy :) And remember, by posting here I acknowledge it's a good game

🕷️

I guess the simple issue I have with it is that I love the Batman games, and Spider-Man somewhat comes off as a worse copy. It has better boss fights though.

CGNoire

Alan Wake II -

What the fuck is this? You took the great crowd control mechanics of 1 and replaced them with what? A 2 on 1 Borefest. You even gimped the controls. Are all these jump scares supposed to scare me? I waited 13 years for this shite?

digdug2

Grim Fandango, twice.

I know it's good, I just moved past those games a long time ago. Maybe if I mod it to play the walking parts at like 10x I'll finish it one day.
Those older LucasArts and Sierra adventure games unfortunately didn't age well in terms of gameplay, IMO. They helped to usher in action/adventure games, but were then left in the newer games' dust.

digdug2

• Persona 5 (meh)
  • Elden Ring (I was hoping it'd actually improve the frustrating parts of Dark Souls, after hearing so much praise, but no)
  • Psychonauts 2 (I can see a good game underneath, but it is soooo boring).
  • Hogwart's Legacy (I enjoyed it very much for 10 hours but then something else came along and I got busy and never picked it up again. I'll play this one though)
Regarding Elden Ring, what frustrating parts of Dark Souls would you say were left in?

nemiroff

Gold Member
Alan Wake II -

What the fuck is this?

That's basically my reaction to the game too..

The dissonance between the reviews and my own experience is one of the largest I've encountered yet. Quite fascinating.

Also, I thought I was the only one, but obviously not.

yansolo

i havnt fully dropped it, but pillars of eternity i havnt played in a few weeks after about 30 hours

its a good game but i dont find it exciting enough to be in the mood to play, its also not a game you can hop into for an hour and get things done, just the loading screens and all the text to read can take half an hour

Bond007

Adulting usually screws me over

Tears of the Kingdom - 90% done. Havent played in months
Hogwarts - maybe an hour in at launch.
FF Remake - half
Jedi Survivor - hate the fucking map

Basically it happens often. If the game is too long for me or the story fails to hold me- im gonna naturally put it on the burner. I still have every intention of completing these but i will just get to it when i get to it and im in the mood for it.
Only game in recent years that i stopped and came back to start completely over and complete was Ghost of Tsushima(which i loved and im glad i fully restarted)

I often gorge myself on a great game and then burn out somewhere at the 75% mark, take a "break" and never finish it.

I can't tell how many games I've done that with. Endings aren't very important to me, I don't play most games for the story.

And well, I'd say Alan Wake II as well but alas, I think that's a straight up sheep in wolf's clothing of a game. All flash and bark but zero bite.

Most games I played the past year. I just don't have the energy for gaming sometimes, so I start a new game then I stop, not long after a new game comes and I buy it just to drop it. The cycle has been repeating itself for a while.

Games I know I'll play and finish this year are Dragon's Dogma 2, FF7 Rebirth, Granblue Fantasy Relink, and Elden Ring DLC.

Top Bottom