• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else feels Baldur’s Gate 3 is not FUN, especially when played solo?

Mythoclast

I feel that this game has turned into a “gamer’s game” and it’s become a sin just to try to question how fun it actually is.

I played through a big chunk of the game with some friends (halfway through Act 2, couldn’t really come up with times to play together after that) and I can see why this game is special. The variety of dialog choices, ways to approach combat (or not) come to mind.

But the way people talk about this game is like: you’re weird if you are not entertained by this lol. And the reality is, I wouldn’t even attempt to play this game by myself.

The learning curve is steep, you have to invest hours into creating a build, gameplay is turn based, you can save scum to get the outcome that you want (stakes are low), among others.

It’s like when a 4 hour historial biopic wins Best Movie at The Oscars. Perhaps a cinematographic achievement, but boring af.

Anyone else feels this way?

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Eh, people get very (and oddly) passionate about their opinions. Maybe it's just more of their cup of tea than yours? I know the game is great, and very deserving of all the praise. But I haven't purchased it yet because I'm not quite sure it will click with me right now or not.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Story/Audio wise it's a masterpiece. Gameplay-wise I agree, it's not that fun. It's a chore ad there are far better mechanics out there such as Pathfinder. I had more fun in Divinity OS2 than any crpg in existence.

sendit

LOL

"The learning curve is steep, you have to invest hours into creating a build, gameplay is turn based, you can save scum to get the outcome that you want (stakes are low), among others."

I hope you understand, these are some of the reasons why people love this game.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I'm not rushing out to buy it at full price. I'm sure I will probably enjoy it a lot, but impressions I've read about the pacing, UI, Act 3, and controller support look less than perfect. No one talks about the game on PS5 on here. Lots of people claim they love it but bail before the end or never talk about playing it.

It's been super obvious for a while that you're not allowed to say anything bad about it. This happens every year to one game or another. The problem is not even the game, but more the fanatical conversation that surrounds it. The game seems really cool. But there's a narrative that people were fighting hard to maintain. Maybe now that narrative will finally loosen a bit more towards reality that they got the coveted Geoff award. Mission has been accomplished. CRPG fans saw their first chance in decades and they fought the fight very hard.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
I didn’t care for it personally, think if I was into d&d or I liked crgp games I would.

I got it but have dropped it for now because it’s too huge of a game and too much of a commitment for me atm, I’m too busy and need games I can play in shorter bursts. Maybe the end of this month I will have some time.
Other than that , I did like it.

splattered

I loved Pillars 1 & 2 and Divinity 1 & 2, though i used guides to help create builds... i'm sure there are some helpful guides out there for this game already, haven't looked.

Mortisfacio

I intended to never play this game, but it ended up being my GOTY. Combat and slow pace in every video I'd seen made me not want to touch it, but actually playing it, it's one of the best games I've played in years.

XXL

If you aren't having fun, its more than likely you're not experimenting enough.

Alot of the gameplay in and out of combat is extremely flexible, between spells, character traits and the situation at hand.

It honestly so flexible, that if you approach it like standard AAA games, you're missing out.

For example, some of the spells that seem irrelevant are some of the most powerful and game changing when used in different ways.

Also when it comes to interactions, it's quite different than standard game interactions. You can lie, set people up and change your mind in any situation. You can double cross anyone. This is viable tactic and the game will respond to it accordingly.

A small example. I told a faction I would help them, then told the enemy of the faction I told them that. Then told the faction that I told the enemy and the game will respond to it.

Experiment with everything.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
I tried playing the demo on PSN and dropped it. Put me to sleep halfway through the prologue. Feels like a game that is just horrible to play on a controller, I think I may revisit it one day on PC.

I still feel like I should give it a shot, I did beat Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 and loved both. In the 90s.

Guilty_AI

You don't have to like everything everyone likes you know. And still:
The learning curve is steep, you have to invest hours into creating a build, gameplay is turn based
Those are not criticisms, plenty of players enjoy these things.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I prefer Divinity Original Sin 2. I like the combat more.

Out of DnD combat systems I ultimately prefer Neverwinter Nights and KOTOR 1/2.

Robb

Gold Member
I don’t think you’re alone at all, it’s a cRPG, it’s a pretty narrow/specific genre after all.

I’m fairly sure I wouldn’t enjoy it much myself which is why I haven’t jumped in. I’ll give it a whirl if it ever comes to GamePass or some other service though just to give it a chance.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

I feel that this game has turned into a “gamer’s game” and it’s become a sin just to try to question how fun it actually is.

I played through a big chunk of the game with some friends (halfway through Act 2, couldn’t really come up with times to play together after that) and I can see why this game is special. The variety of dialog choices, ways to approach combat (or not) come to mind.

But the way people talk about this game is like: you’re weird if you are not entertained by this lol. And the reality is, I wouldn’t even attempt to play this game by myself.

The learning curve is steep, you have to invest hours into creating a build, gameplay is turn based, you can save scum to get the outcome that you want (stakes are low), among others.

It’s like when a 4 hour historial biopic wins Best Movie at The Oscars. Perhaps a cinematographic achievement, but boring af.

No? I find the story interesting, characters well written and entertaining, character creation and planning is super interesting and turned-based combat is my cup of tea.

That said I can totally see if one is used to story lite looter type ARPGs they could find BG3 quite dry.

StereoVsn

I prefer Divinity Original Sin 2. I like the combat more.

Out of DnD combat systems I ultimately prefer Neverwinter Nights and KOTOR 1/2.
Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous is completely bonkers. Best combat out of all CRPGs I played just due to tremendous number of different builds and class/race choices.

Owlcat just released Warhammer Rogue Trader that also looks really good.

Otherwise PoE2 and Divinity 2 have a lot of variety in builds.

I love KOTOR and NWN2 (especially the expansion), but system wise they aren’t on same level.

Hell, Baldurs Gate 2 can get quite interesting if you focus on magic.

Madflavor

norm9

I couldn't stand the armor system in DOS2 amd dropped it and liked the wacky knockdown stuff in DOS1. Tempted to play as I'm a baldurs gate fan, but just don't have the time and prefer rtwp. Will wait for deep sale.

Zathalus

Nah, it's great. If you don't enjoy the genre that's fine, but for people who like this type of game it's great.

Flutta

Banned
I feel you OP i tried it for 10h and still felt i was not sure what i was doing. Story was all over the place, i had so many quests in que i was so damn confused. Most of the characters were cringe uninteresting. Combat felt overwhelming, i was just clicking on stuff lol.

Anyways not all games is for everyone so play something you enjoy instead.

SCB3

I went into it with an open mind and got swept up in the hype when it was released, I really got into it and loved it, but I can 100% see why most people would not like it and thats ok, its not for everyone

And tbh now that I am done with it, its not a game I'm jumping to replay anytime soon, so I get that, it was fun while it lasted

Mossybrew

Never played multiplayer and had a ton of fun with the game. That being said, I did struggle a bit during the first hours coming to grips with how the game worked, not the type of game I usually play.

I mostly appreciate the writing and voice work.. But I bailed after end of Act 2. I couldn't keep up with the progression, and I killed most things as I rejected the worms. By the time I reached Act 2 where I pretty much did everything, except the druids quest, and it said "are you sure next act will be bitterly difficult." I was bored at that point nothing else to do so as there was not a single vendor around I thought I'd get to Balders Gate, sell gear buy some new stuff, get prepared. But no had a big gank battle straight away and just basically couldn't survive.

Once I knew what the end baddies were and what they controlled (really!? a floating b***n) I just lost all interest. Plus not really a fan of Forgotten Realms, seems like everything and the kitchen sink chucked into it.

Also had annoying cut scenes that ruined battles. I had one dude down to one hit, was surrounded by my party. But something happened and a cutscene starts and he just walks away and flies off.

TheStam

Best game released this year, but I've tried playing it with a controller since I like couch gaming / Steam Deck, but its so much less tedious and natural with mouse and keyboard.

Top Bottom