• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

South Park: Snow Day! Review 3/10 IGN

havoc00

Thanks to recent successes, we know exactly what a great South Park game looks like, and South Park: Snow Day! couldn’t be farther from it. I’m a huge fan of throwing out the rulebook to try something completely fresh, especially in this age of samey sequels and forever live-service games that increasingly play it safe, but this bold attempt at a new direction misses the mark so drastically I’m aghast at just how sideways things went. Whether it’s due to the thoroughly unenjoyable combat or the uncharacteristicly toothless and unfunny story, I can’t recommend anyone waste their time on this cooperative lost cause – even my fellow die-hard South Park fans.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Oyv3tfP.jpg

GametimeUK

Who would think of making a South Park in 3D...The franchise is 2D, it worked very well with the Obsidian Games
I believe South Park could work in 2D. I mean Simpsons is 2D, but Hit and Run was popular.

I don't think South Park being 3D is the issue. The game sucking is the issue.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I got the impression that Trey Parker wasn’t as involved or interested in this game. Don’t quote me, but I seem to remember Matt Stone saying something like how Trey likes games with stories and strategy, but he likes more simple action-based games.

Through this very flimsy observation, my head canon is now that Snow Day is mostly a Matt Stone vision, especially since I think he’s been doing more of the interview marketing than Trey.

Of course all of this could be and probably is wrong. But I like to think that in a year or two, we’ll get an episode of South Park lambasting Snow Day and referencing how bad it is.

Crm114

I’ll give it a shot, especially if they’re gonna keep updating it like they said.

3D isn’t the problem i was actually hoping they we’re gonna try something different after the last 2. Stick of Truth being a masterpiece and TFBH being nothing special imo. 3D is a cool change IF they can execute if course.

I’ll give it a shot and give you guys an honest opinion if it sucks or not.

Last edited:

Porcile

Most amusing thing I heard about this game is that they were not going to be able to complete the animation in 3D, so in the end they just hired the actual South Park 2D animators to do all the animation in 2D and then just copied it frame by frame for the 3D models.

NickFire

I was really hoping for the same gameplay as last two with new story. Wouldn’t care if graphics stayed exactly same too considering the IP.

ElRenoRaven

For IGN to rate that low it's bad. Sad too because I loved the last two games. I had a feeling from announcement onward it was gonna suck. I haven't seen anything to make me think it was gonna be any good since it was announced.

mdkirby

This guy must have been offended by South park at some point.
He specifically cites that he was upset that he was not offended. The humor was flat, never risky, and completely out of character for any of the characters of the show. Terrible gameplay, and the humor sanitised and lobotomised.

How this ever got greenlit after two successful rpgs I have no idea. When I first realised there was a new southpark game I had been waiting for one since the moment I finished the last one, and would have bought it in a heartbeat. Seconds into the trailer it was a hard pass. It’s frankly baffling how they could fuck this up so much 🤷‍♂️

Rocinante618

Neo Member
First Southpark game was great, I had some genuine LOL experiences. Second one I didn't bother as it needed uplay. This one has "rouge" aka RNG in it so I'm completely out (also I dislike the 3D graphics style they took instead of the classic, 2D art which are true to the cartoon and filled with soul)

Top Bottom