• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Genesis Side Scrollers (That Aren't Sonic)

Foxix Von

I played Vectorman and hated it. It's another seriously bland side scroller. I remember my friend got it because I kept talking about how great DKC2 on the SNES was, then we started playing it, and within minutes we were right back to DKC2.

Strider is on my list to play.

Castlevania Bloodlines I've played a bit, but never completed. Might as well give it another try because I liked it.

I've played Valis: The Fantasm Soldier and Syd of Valis. Was considering tracking down Valis III because I didn't completely hate the previous two.

Hmmm okie dokie, no beat em ups. You might like something like Earthworm Jim, but if you prefer something a little more platforming oriented look up Mickey Mania. I just found out about that one and I intend to pick it up eventually. The animation work is excellent and it looks like a pretty fun platformer. It's also the first game David Jaffe ever worked on. :D

Roto13

GAF, can you explain why this guy has been ignored for the last 20 years?

Greendog_Cover_Art.jpg

Because he's a surfer dude. :p

sniperpon

I like Mickey Mouse and the Castle of Illusion almost as much as the first Sonic title-- it's one of the best platformers I've ever played. It's also stunning aesthetically, check it out.

Kid Chameleon is an interesting game too, grand scope, tons of secrets, almost Super Mario Bros. 3-esque in that regard. Too difficult imo, but still worth checking out.

Decap Attack is a decent filler game in the library as well.

galvatron

ViewtifulJC has a great list...

El Viento
Alissa Dragoon
Tinhead
Flink (mega drive version is a cart, only on Sega CD in the US)
Adventures of Batman and Robin (warning: some say its the hardest game for the system)

Suairyu

Banned
Rocket Knight Adventures is incredible. Probably way too hard for its own good, but still so charming and fun.

More loosely, Comix Zone is great, and Ecco The Dolphin is both challenging, atmospheric and one of the best narrative experiences in videogame history.

game is good, too bad it lasts about 3 hours
Most sidescrollers last even less.

I like Mickey Mouse and the Castle of Illusion almost as much as the first Sonic title-- it's one of the best platformers I've ever played. It's also stunning aesthetically, check it out.
I wouldn't quite put it on Sonic level, but it's certainly high quality.

VanWinkle

I seriously believe wholeheartedly that Ristar deserves a Rayman Origins treatment. I could see a pretty similar art style to Origins, and it would be a blast. It's a little slow paced now, like many platfomers of that day (Rayman 1 included), so having a reboot like Origins that speeds up the platforming would be amazing.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Rocket Knight Adventures is incredible. Probably way too hard for its own good, but still so charming and fun.

More loosely, Comix Zone is great, and Ecco The Dolphin is both challenging, atmospheric and one of the best narrative experiences in videogame history.

Most sidescrollers last even less.

yeah but Terminator is really REALLY low on content. It's got four levels, i think, all incredibly easy. Three hours is probably generous, make it one hour and a half. Which sucks, because game features great graphics, good shooting and excellent music. Worth a try at least

I seriously believe wholeheartedly that Ristar deserves a Rayman Origins treatment. I could see a pretty similar art style to Origins, and it would be a blast. It's a little slow paced now, like many platfomers of that day (Rayman 1 included), so having a reboot like Origins that speeds up the platforming would be amazing.

That would be so great, I would buy that day one. Give me this and a new 2D Ecco The Dolphin (or an HD remake like Earthworm Jim) and I can die a happy man.

Alucard

Banned

Kid Chameleon is an interesting game too, grand scope, tons of secrets, almost Super Mario Bros. 3-esque in that regard. Too difficult imo, but still worth checking out.

Decap Attack is a decent filler game in the library as well.

Oh man, I forgot about Mickey Mouse. Gorgeous game, and fun too.

Teknoman

You must play Mega Turrican. Recently grabbed that, and I see why people flip out about it's soundtrack compared to Super Turrican on the SNES (which has good themes and action as well...but Mega feels like another level).

And yes, play Ristar. I think I need to check High seas havoc.

Yeah definitely this. Possibly one of the most charming games ever made. World of Illusion and Quackshot were also very good.

wondermega

No one ever remembers to mention eswat,a fairly early game for the system. Feels very similar to shinobi (in a good way), always one of my favorites.

Foxix Von

No one ever remembers to mention eswat,a fairly early game for the system. Feels very similar to shinobi (in a good way), always one of my favorites.

Huh I'll look into this one. I think I saw it laying around a goodwill a few months ago but passed on it. I'm always down for more shinobi action.

FaintDeftone

Shadow Dancer is one of my favorite games ever. Love the hell out of it.

Anyone remember Bubsy? I remember liking it as a kid but I haven't played it in ages to see how it holds up today. Never did play any of it's sequels though.

Kosma

Banned

Greendog_Cover_Art.jpg

Is it like toejam and earl where it's not owned by Sega?

Thats totally one of the box covers that looked so next gen to me when i had NES, then when i got the Mega Drive I never played it.

Comix Zone
Castle of Illusion
ToeJam and Earl 2(the original is great, but it's not a side scroller)
Shadow Dancer
Revenge of the Shinobi
Shinobi 3
Ranger X
Quackshot
Mega Turrican
Castlevania Bloodlines
Pulseman
Contra: Hard Corps

Monster list right here. Especially Contra, Castlevania and Ranger X.

My personal favorite hidden gem is Dahna.

OP liked Gunstar Heroes but no-one recommended Alien Soldier? Really?

UAHkT.png
MUFhQ.png

RWqdC.png
XVCoF.png

aYBdt.jpg
99iK3.png

Other good stuff that I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Alisia Dragoon
James Pond III (world map is SMW tier)
Jewel Master
Wonder Boy in Monster World (what? It's a side-scroller)
Thunder Force IV (ditto)

Endo Punk

Quackshot, Taz Escape from Mars and my personal favourite ESWAT.

ESWAT-City-Under-Siege.jpg

Do let the cover fool you the game is actually really sweet, challenging but lots of fun.

Rlan

Quackshot: Starring Donald Duck

quackshot-cover-a.jpg
qs-30.png
qs-27.png
qs-5.png

World Of Illusion: Starring Mickey & Donald

woi-cover-a.jpg
woi-4.png
woi-2p-6.png
woi-2p-4.png

Castle of Illusion: Starring Mickey Mouse

Castle_of_illusion_Mickey_mouse.jpg
coi-2.gif
coi-3.gif
castle_of_illusion.jpg

And while Sparkster GEN is very different to RKA, I prefer the awesome uses of Rocket Pack that Sparkster has. It's a generally faster and more sonic-like game.

IrishNinja

2 were already posted, but here's my favorites off the top of my head (i dug Moonwalker too, as an MJ fan)

strider-genesis.jpg
j4exm.jpg

edit: ah, platforming...yeah, those disney ones are great, i recall having had fun with Quackshot as well but not sure if it holds up. I spent an entire summer on Taz-Mania though!

asa

600full-chakan-cover.jpg
25509-94772-chakaningamePNG-468x.jpg
chakan2_1205966991.jpg

Hard as nails, but imo one of the best games on the system. I played this a lot back in the day.

btw. I stumbled upon news of ipad prototype of Chakan, the first gameplay video has vanished from the vimeo, anyone have alternative links to it?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Alright, GAF. Now I'm going to have to go out and pick up a Sega Genesis.

Are you happy now? ARE YOU HAPPY?

Seriously, I never owned one. It might be time. I love side-scrollers and some of these look fantastic.

Greendog_Cover_Art.jpg

Is it like toejam and earl where it's not owned by Sega?

I guess because it's so unremarkable? I've played it a few times and it doesn't really do anything interesting or memorable.

Regarding Ristar, I don't really care for that one, either. Aesthetically it's a treat for sure, but the gameplay, again, doesn't really offer anything particularly impressive.

I also always found that Vectorman is truly terrible, and the sequel. Just appalling game-feel.

Wow, super-negative post. Most of the other suggestions here have been great!

Mickey_Mania.jpg

Great game, and gorgeous to boot. One of the best looking Mega Drive/Genesis games. It even has some well-done 3D segments.

mickey3.gif

mickey1.gif

mickey6.gif

Other games I'd strongly recommend that have already been mentioned:

Rolo the Elephant
Tiny Toons Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure
Cool Spot
Castle of Illusion
World of Illusion
Quackshot

DonMigs85

This was a rather disturbing game:

previeweu.jpg

And when I was small I enjoyed this game but never did manage to finish it:

1172269200-00.jpg

This one had some great puzzles:

58_27424_0_0_BubbleAndSqueak.jpg

Genny version of this was superior to SNES IMO:

586429_46776_front.jpg

I have a soft spot for this game as well as its predecessor:

586269_38931_front.jpg

This was pretty good too, though weird at times like most Treasure games.

w180843357.jpg

Fucking hell! I need to play this, never heard of it.

I'm still wrapping my head around the fact that it hasn't been mentioned yet, when it's one of the best Treasure games ever (which is to say a lot!). It seems like the kind of game GAF would fawn over, and yet nobody seems to know it exists. I guess part of the reason is because it wasn't released in the US orginally, but STILL. :/

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Quackshot, Taz Escape from Mars and my personal favourite ESWAT.

Do let the cover fool you the game is actually really sweet, challenging but lots of fun.

my man

Waaaaay better than the arcade version, amazing music, and quite pretty for a early Genesis game

Weltall Zero said:
I'm still wrapping my head around the fact that it hasn't been mentioned yet, when it's one of the best Treasure games ever (which is to say a lot!). It seems like the kind of game GAF would fawn over, and yet nobody seems to know it exists. I guess part of the reason is because it wasn't released in the US orginally, but STILL. :/

dat intro

DonMigs85

By the way, the Rocko's Modern Life and Chester Cheetah games were also surprisingly good.
There's also this other mascot platformer where one of the characters gets swallowed by a giant worm and digested to bones, but I can't remember the name...

Top Bottom