• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Genesis Side Scrollers (That Aren't Sonic)

Roto13

600full-chakan-cover.jpg
25509-94772-chakaningamePNG-468x.jpg
chakan2_1205966991.jpg

Hard as nails, but imo one of the best games on the system. I played this a lot back in the day.

btw. I stumbled upon news of ipad prototype of Chakan, the first gameplay video has vanished from the vimeo, anyone have alternative links to it?

I wasn't big on this game from a gameplay standpoint, but it has a really awesome atmosphere. I also liked the story. Guy literally fights death and wins, so he can't ever die, but maybe that kind of sucks. :p

SOME-MIST

OP liked Gunstar Heroes but no-one recommended Alien Soldier? Really?

UAHkT.png
MUFhQ.png

RWqdC.png
XVCoF.png

aYBdt.jpg
99iK3.png
this is what I was looking for in the replies - otherwise I was going to post it myself. it already looks like he's a treasure fan so he might as well. the only problem being that, it's hella expensive unless you buy the knock-off.

I agree with Boogerman being a good game as well. Controls good, lengthy game, large levels and excellent boss battles. When I was 9 or 10 I'd be cracking up at all the farting in the game.

I like Alien Soldier, it's a very obviously high quality game, but as far as side-scrolling shooters, I prefer Gunstar Heroes personally. Not the biggest fan of Boss Marathons that Hard Corps and Alien Soldier are built on.

Archon473

I forgot to mention that I played that one, and it was the single most vanilla side scrolling platform game I have ever played in my life. Even with all of the powers you get I can't help but feel this must be one of the most uninspired platformers of all time.

It is rare for a person to possess a wrong opinion, but you have managed.

Spwn

Rolo to the Rescue, wherein you play an elephant out to rescue his woodland friends (I know, "woodland elephant" doesn't make much sense, but still) from an evil circus that wants to enslave them all. Very difficult, very long, but quite enjoyable.

Came to post this. Got to the final boss once and I was devastated after losing. So long and incredibly difficult, especially if you don't do the infuriating hedgehog saving level to make all the hedgehog harmless for the rest of the game.

Also have very fond memories of Chiki Chiki Boys, or Mega Twins as it was called in the NA.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I always loved how X-Men 2 had that cold opening that would drop you into the prologue stage with a random character, with no splash screen or anything. I wonder how long it took 'em to convince Sega to let them do that.

Did Alien Soldier release outside of japan in cart form?
Yes, in Europe. In the US it was only available on the Sega Channel, just like Golden Axe III, Mega Man: The Wily Wars, and Pulseman. (Of those, Golden Axe III and Pulseman was only released in Japan on cart, but like Alien Soldier, but Mega Man: The Wily Wars was released on cart in Europe as well as Japan.)

This game is fucking stellar.

and hard as fuck. I've had the game since I was like 4 years old and I don't think I've ever made it past the Savage Land. and most of the time I don't even make it there, I day on the stage with the mini rolling tusks

Harlock

I thought that was more of a beat 'em up. I played through a few levels at a friends house when it first came out and didn't like it - the gameplay and style never meshed well with me.

Comix Zone is more like a puzzle game. You have so little life that you need to know the best way to beat every square from the pages of level.

I'm glad Aladdin was mentioned on the first page.

Some others:
Alisia Dragon
alisiadragon-5218.jpg

Rolling Thunder 2
4f_26930_0_RollingThunder2.jpg

Ghostbusters (at least it's better than the other versions)
Sega-Ghostbusters.jpg

Castle of Illusion
24_26896_0_0_CastleofIllusionStarring.jpg

One of these days, I need to hunt down a copy of the NTSC Sega CD version. It's one of the titles that convinced me a Sega CD might be worth the money...

When I went looking at it on eBay, though, I noticed it was a bit pricey. That was admittedly a few months ago, but still, >$50 for a CIB copy, ouch. IIRC some guy was asking $25 for just the box!

Foxix Von

One of these days, I need to hunt down a copy of the NTSC Sega CD version. It's one of the titles that convinced me a Sega CD might be worth the money...

When I went looking at it on eBay, though, I noticed it was a bit pricey. That was admittedly a few months ago, but still, >$50 for a CIB copy, ouch. IIRC some guy was asking $25 for just the box!

Yeah most sega cd titles are like that. Not so much because they're actually worth that much but because those jewel cases were so brittle only like five of them are still in existence. I know it sounds dumb but buying just the CD is definitely the way to go in some instances. I just bought Final Fight CD and the box that originally came with it is just a cardbord sleeve. Totally not worth the extra thirty plus whatever bucks vs just buying the disc only. Maybe keep an eye out for box an manual separately later.

Platy

This thread needs more Quackshot !

It is SO platformer but SO platformer that your weapon creates new platformers !

giggas

Seen them mentioned but just to say it again, Shinobi 3 and CV: Bloodlines are essential. Shinobi 3 is probably the best Genesis game ever created.

Also I bought X-Men Clone Wars & Vectorman a few years back at the same time thinking I was missing out. I thought that they were both pretty shitty.

edit: I can also suggest Quackshot. Surprisingly good Metroidvania-lite game.

Yeah most sega cd titles are like that. Not so much because they're actually worth that much but because those jewel cases were so brittle only like five of them are still in existence. I know it sounds dumb but buying just the CD is definitely the way to go in some instances. I just bought Final Fight CD and the box that originally came with it is just a cardbord sleeve. Totally not worth the extra thirty plus whatever bucks vs just buying the disc only. Maybe keep an eye out for box an manual separately later.
Yeah, I'm familiar with them; Saturn used the same boxes, to my understanding. I actually really like them, despite their fragility.

Incidentally, my Sega CD came with Final Fight CD, too, but just in a jewel case.

Top Bottom