• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3 MP Free to Play details

BY2K

Membero Americo
If I used the online pass for Uncharted 3, resell the game and download the mp, will I have the whole shabang?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
If I used the online pass for Uncharted 3, resell the game and download the mp, will I have the whole shabang?
Nope.

I traded the game in a while back (regrettably) and still have the online pass on my console, would this affect this free download ?

It won't affect the free download. The online pass on your console won't allow you to unlock the full MP component, you'll have to enter into the whole free-to-play structure or be capped at lv 15

So if I already own UC3, any chance I won't have to grind all the weapons/boosters out? Be nice if they removed that roadblock.

hamchan

One way to look at this is that this is a big risky experiment for us/the stakeholders in the UC games, even if it's been done before. So the approach to monetization was by necessity more conservative (giving away less for free). Obviously I can't guarantee or predict the future, but if this looks like it's picking up steam, then that would support a less restrictive F2P structure either for this game or for other games in the future. I don't know, but I can bet that other people at SCE, other publishers, and other developers will look to see how this plays out.

Thanks for answering and I hope it's successful for you guys. If the consoles can match F2P models seen on PC then that will be a good thing for all.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Who thought in their GODDAMN mind of Releasing UC3 GOTY as a DD title

43.5GB's really arne?

That shit is 2 times the fucking size of DC Universe Online, and that shit is a MMO

No Compression?

Also PSN is throttled to hell and back and the archaic DL + Install Allocation, this bitch alone is 87GB

Did no one properly think this through?

I have a 150Mb connection and DC Universe (Beta Version) which was 16-18GB took me 6 Fucking Hours... and another 1 hour to Install and Patch...

Fuck This Noise!

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
One way to look at this is that this is a big risky experiment for us/the stakeholders in the UC games, even if it's been done before. So the approach to monetization was by necessity more conservative (giving away less for free). Obviously I can't guarantee or predict the future, but if this looks like it's picking up steam, then that would support a less restrictive F2P structure either for this game or for other games in the future. I don't know, but I can bet that other people at SCE, other publishers, and other developers will look to see how this plays out.

I don't know, it seems to me you just found a way to take a game that is basically at the end of its tail sales-wise and turned it F2P to pull more money from it as a side project. It seems both more restrictive and less risky than many F2P multiplayer games that haven't had the benefit of a full (and wildly successful) retail shelf life to recoup their funding.

Of course, I'm just on the outside looking in so...

Killthee

Full pricing:

Available In-Game Only (Not on PlayStation Store)

UNCHARTED 3
  • UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Multiplayer Competitive MP – Level 25 Limit – $4.99
  • UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Multiplayer Competitive MP – No Level Limit – $19.99
  • UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Multiplayer Co-op Adventure Add On – $11.99
  • UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Multiplayer Co-op Arena Add On – $9.99
  • UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Multiplayer DLC Map Packs – $24.99
  • UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Multiplayer French Language Pack – Free
  • UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Multiplayer Spanish Language Pack – Free
  • UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Multiplayer Splitscreen Add On – $1.99
  • UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Single Player Experience – $29.99

NateDrake

43.5GB's really arne?

That shit is 2 times the fucking size of DC Universe Online, and that shit is a MMO

No Compression?

Also PSN is throttled to hell and back and the archaic DL + Install Allocation, this bitch alone is 87GB

I have a 150Mb connection and DC Universe (Beta Version) which was 16-18GB took me 6 Fucking Hours... and another 1 hour to Install and Patch...

Fuck This Noise!

Isn't the game only 4.7GB?

The Light

I was excited for this, but now reading about the pricing think i'm going to pass. If I ever do want to get uc3 mp i'll just go with the disc version.

arne

43.5GB's really arne?

No Compression?

Fuck This Noise!

Four/three words for you:

Dual layer blu-ray

Couldn't do any better, sorry :(

-PXG-

This is a litmus test for next-gen. EA and Activision are watching VERY closely to this.

Imagine CoD going F2P, with heaps of microtransactions and paid/tiered unlocks. Sweet Jesus....

Orca

43.5GB's really arne?

No Compression?

Fuck This Noise!

So it will take 87 GB of free space total to download and install. That's insane.

Killthee

So if I already own UC3, any chance I won't have to grind all the weapons/boosters out? Be nice if they removed that roadblock.

If I have progressed past Level 15 on my disc what progression based unlocks are available to me if I log into the Core Multiplayer Experience?

All of your unlocked Long Guns, Pistols, Weapon Mods, Character Skins, Medal Kickbacks and Boosters are available for use in the Core Multiplayer Experience.

43.5GB's really arne?

No Compression?

Fuck This Noise!
Putting aside the PS3's shitty install method, I'm rather glad they didn't gimp the DD version of the game. I'd rather have one giant download that mirrors the retail disc than a smaller download that isn't exact. You're already getting screwed on price, why would you want to get screwed on the content as well ; )

With that said, I think the download is broken up into smaller downloads (base game + language packs + map packs + so on). The base game is probably still ~30GB's though.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Couldn't you have made one download the 3D version and one the regular? It would cut down the size drastically from the FMVs.

NateDrake

Four/three words for you:

Dual layer blu-ray

Couldn't do any better, sorry :(

I don't think anyone blames Naughty Dog for it. Wouldn't be as bad if Sony didn't have a backwards download/installation process requiring double the size.

You provided us with a sneak-peak of the file sizes of PS4 digital software ;-)

Lingitiz

This is a litmus test for next-gen. EA and Activision are watching VERY closely to this.

Imagine CoD going F2P, with heaps of microtransactions and paid/tiered unlocks. Sweet Jesus....

I imagine it being pretty disgusting, although I'm willing to be a ton of people would love to buy the MP only without SP if it were cheaper.

Tagg9

The multiplayer. The full game is over 40GB. If only ND didn't use prerendered cutscenes...it might not even be a third of that. :p

I think I remember reading that it's only 14GB without the prerendered cutscenes (two versions of each - 3D and regular) and foreign audio.

Czigga

Available In-Game Only (Not on PlayStation Store)

UNCHARTED 3
UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Multiplayer Competitive MP – Level 25 Limit – $4.99
UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Multiplayer Competitive MP – No Level Limit – $19.99
UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Multiplayer Co-op Adventure Add On – $11.99
UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Multiplayer Co-op Arena Add On – $9.99
UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Multiplayer DLC Map Packs – $24.99
UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Multiplayer French Language Pack – Free
UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Multiplayer Spanish Language Pack – Free
UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Multiplayer Splitscreen Add On – $1.99
UNCHARTED 3: Drake’s Deception Single Player Experience – $29.99

Lol @ that pricing? Full MP game experience costs more than a full retail game. I'm not too well-versed in F2P but seems like those prices should be half what they are across the board.

arne

Couldn't you have made one download the 3D version and one the regular? It would cut down the size drastically from the FMVs.

there are separate smaller downloads for things like languages, etc. to cut down on the overall initial download.

arne

Lol @ that pricing? Full MP game experience costs more than a full retail game. I'm not too well-versed in F2P but seems like those prices should be half what they are across the board.

I don't understand these prices. It would be a lot cheaper to just buy the GOTY game new for $30...

Been discussed to death earlier (at least I hope to death) in this thread -- point is, you can choose to only play a subsection and save money or buy the "bundle" which in this case is the GOTY edition.

It's not meant to be like, where's all the different parts you HAVE to buy to get the full game.

Killthee

I don't understand these prices. It would be a lot cheaper to just buy the GOTY game new for $30...
It's F2P, the whole point of the thing is for them to make more money by breaking up the game into smaller chunks and suckering people who don't know the GoTY is cheaper, are too lazy to buy the full version, or were never interested in the full game.

It's great if you treat the game as a throwaway experience and minimize your purchases to the most basic things that will enhance your playtime. If you want the full experience though, the model sucks and your better off sticking to the full game.

YEHBjlB.png
Brazilian language? lol wut

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
No wonder SSM and Sony aren't doing Day 1 Digital with God of War: Ascension

Can you fucking Imagine?

49.99GB of Disc Space used of the Dual Blu-Ray, Bring on the 100GB DL + Install!

Christ PS4 BRD's are going Triple or Quads right arne?

VanWinkle

Woah, definitely wasn't expecting that stuff to cost that much, especially the no level cap. I was going to recommend my brothers download this but not going to now.

jwk94

So I just hopped on and...all of my stuff is still here from when i played originally. I can't gain any experience though. The Uncharted TV won't minimize either....

sappyday

43.5GB's really arne?

No Compression?

Fuck This Noise!
This is reason why I'm more excited for the PS4.

I don't know about unlocking the level cap being $19.99 and the maps being $24.99

The full multiplayer experience shouldn't cost more than the GOTY compilation

Hypereides

Gold Member
Level cap at 15? Too low.

I dont like this business model, but I guess every squeezeble drop from that lemon counts from SCE and ND's point of view.

inky

I find the idea of selling a split-screen add-on pretty funny. I guess I'm not creative enough to think of, uhm, interesting ways of compartmentalizing free to play.

Can't wait for next gen, lol.

there are separate smaller downloads for things like languages, etc. to cut down on the overall initial download.
I'm afraid you don't understand what he's saying...

You should offer 2 versions of UC3 SP: 2D only (around 20GB - same size as UC2) and 2D/3D (around 40GB). Or you could make the 3D cutscenes/FMVs a separate download, just like foreign languages.

Why should someone waste 20GB if he doesn't have a 3DTV? It doesn't make any sense.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Level cap at 15? Too low.

Yeah, I just ranked to level 4 with a new account in the Lab. :lol People are going to be hitting that 15 cap within like 6 hours at most depending on how many medals and KDR they go for. Then probably dropping the game since t hey leveled up and they can't get the rest of the unlocks.

Also whoever thought putting Uncharted TV in between matches to where you can't fiddle with menus as an "ad supported" service should be slapped. I dunno if you're getting money from that but it's more annoying than anything and since (AFAIK) there's no click-through, I dunno what the point of shoving a full-screen ad in my face in the middle of trying to customize things is for.

Top Bottom