• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

America still sucks if you're not white.

Status
Not open for further replies.
baby_crying_closeup.jpg

temp

posting on contract only
whytemyke said:
what? no way. racism is gone, man, remember? affirmative action isn't needed anymore!
Seems to me that this article is more about the class difference between the races as a relic of segregation and discrimination rather than racism directly affecting anybody now.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
temp said:
Seems to me that this article is more about the class difference between the races as a relic of segregation and discrimination rather than racism directly affecting anybody now.
a relic which affirmative action is generally used to counterbalance... except in michigan where it was decided that minorities are equal to white people and have the same opportunities.

Odoul

Adam Blade said:
Topic title sucks. What if you're Asian?
You get a higher rate of unemployment even though you have a higher education level.

Is it really that hard to just take 4 minutes and READ the damn articale?

temp

posting on contract only
whytemyke said:
a relic which affirmative action is generally used to counterbalance... except in michigan where it was decided that minorities are equal to white people and have the same opportunities.
I was talking about "racism is gone," not affirmative action.

yjs666

ap_racialdisparities.gif

This chart was a b!tch to read. Just make the bars based on skin colour damn it! :lol

Racism may exist but the Asians have demonstrated that ethnic minorities can succeed. I mean the median household income of Asian families are the highest!

ronito

yjs666 said:
Racism may exist but the Asians have demonstrated that ethnic minorities can succeed. I mean the median household income of Asian families are the highest!
while less own houses and more are in poverty than whites. Hmmm..

hispanicsagainstcnn.com
hispanics against cnn hispanics cnn
hispanicsagainstcnn.com

i love google ads, they're always good for a laugh. that page is hilarious

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
HA I'm stomping the shit outta that median household income #!

In other news... white people suck.

Tamanon

Banned
ronito said:

And yet they also earn a good deal more. Kinda odd, isn't it?:p Maybe they just don't want to own homes as much!

yjs666

ronito said:

I think nationality disparity within the American Asian community is pretty obvious. Call me politically incorrect but it seems that east Asians seems to be doing a lot better than others.

061113_disparity_hmed6p.hmedium.jpg

Amani Moore, 8, chases her brother Ronald Moore, Jr., 7, behind their home in Dumfries, Va., in this March photo. White adults were more likely than black and Hispanic adults to have college degrees and to own their own homes, according to data released Tuesday by the Census Bureau.

"Hey, we have a story about black Americans and home ownership. Somebody quick find me a picture of black people and a house."

Edit! On further investigation -- spurred on by the fact that this picture had to be taken for some reason -- these kids live in an affluent suburb and their house cost half a million bucks.

Maybe they aren't the best poster children for this study.

yayaba

Speaking as an asian, I think parental pressure has a lot to do with all those college degrees.

yjs666 said:
I think nationality disparity within the American Asian community is pretty obvious. Call me politically incorrect but it seems that east Asians seems to be doing a lot better than others.

I agree to that even though I think it's taboo in some respects to raise that up.

I know that all of my Chinese friends though all have engineering fathers. That fact alone raises the household income way above the average.

Gantz

Banned
yayaba said:
Speaking as an asian, I think parental pressure has a lot to do with all those college degrees.

Money is a big motivator too. Don't want to be poor like our brethen in China. Gotta instill hard work and preseverance at an early age.

Tamanon

Banned
yayaba said:

Then it sounds like it might be a more systemic issue than racism that causes the disparity in degrees. Maybe Cosby has been right all along!

emomoonbase

I'm free 2night after my LARPing guild meets.
Kobun Heat said:
061113_disparity_hmed6p.hmedium.jpg

"Hey, we have a story about black Americans and home ownership. Somebody quick find me a picture of black people and a house."

Edit! On further investigation -- spurred on by the fact that this picture had to be taken for some reason -- these kids live in an affluent suburb and their house cost half a million bucks.

Maybe they aren't the best poster children for this study.

But did you notice in the picture how many more of those houses were white than brown?

Ripclawe

Banned
They need to refine that study cause Caribbean people rocking over whites!.....in queens at least though I wouldn't be surprised if it happens elsewhere.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/01/nyregion/01census.html?pagewanted=print

In Queens, the median income among black households, nearing $52,000 a year, has surpassed that of whites in 2005, an analysis of new census data shows. No other county in the country with a population over 65,000 can make that claim. The gains among blacks in Queens, the city’s quintessential middle-class borough, were driven largely by the growth of two-parent families and the successes of immigrants from the West Indies. Many live in tidy homes in verdant enclaves like Cambria Heights, Rosedale and Laurelton, just west of the Cross Island Parkway and the border with Nassau County.

David Veron, a 45-year-old lawyer, is one of them. He estimates that the house in St. Albans that he bought with his wife, Nitchel, three years ago for about $320,000 has nearly doubled in value since they renovated it. Two-family homes priced at $600,000 and more seem to be sprouting on every vacant lot, he says.

“Southeast Queens, especially, had a heavy influx of West Indian folks in the late 80’s and early 90’s,” said Mr. Veron, who, like his 31-year-old wife, was born on the island of Jamaica. “Those individuals came here to pursue an opportunity, and part of that opportunity was an education,” he said. “A large percentage are college graduates. We’re now maturing and reaching the peak of our earning capacity.”

Despite the economic progress among blacks in Queens, income gaps still endure within the borough’s black community, where immigrants, mostly from the Caribbean, are generally doing better than American-born blacks.

“Racism and the lack of opportunity created a big gap and kind of put us at a deeper disadvantage,” said Steven Dennison, an American-born black resident of Springfield Gardens.

Mr. Dennison, a 49-year-old electrical contractor, has four children. One is getting her doctoral degree; another will graduate from college this school year. “It starts with the school system,” Mr. Dennison said.

Mr. Vernon, the lawyer from Jamaica, said: “It’s just that the people who left the Caribbean to come here are self-starters. It only stands to reason they would be more aggressive in pursuing their goals. And that creates a separation.”

Housing patterns do, too. While blacks make more than whites — even those in the borough’s wealthiest neighborhoods, including Douglaston — they account for fewer than 1 in 20 residents in some of those communities. And among blacks themselves, there are disparities, depending on where they live.

According to the latest analysis, black households in Queens reported a median income of $51,836 compared with $50,960 for non-Hispanic whites (and $52,998 for Asians and $43,927 among Hispanic people).

Among married couples in Queens, the gap was even greater: $78,070 among blacks, higher than any other racial or ethnic group, and $74,503 among whites.

Hector Ricketts, 50, lives with his wife, Opal, a legal secretary, and their three children in Rosedale. A Jamaican immigrant, he has a master’s degree in health care administration, but after he was laid off more than a decade ago he realized that he wanted to be an entrepreneur. He established a commuter van service.

“When immigrants come here, they’re not accustomed to social programs,” he said, “and when they see opportunities they had no access to — tuition or academic or practical training — they are God-sent, and they use those programs to build themselves and move forward.”

Immigrants helped propel the gains among blacks. The median income of foreign-born black households was $61,151, compared with $45,864 for American-born blacks. The disparity was even more pronounced among black married couples.

The median for married black immigrants was $84,338, nearly as much as for native-born white couples. For married American-born blacks, it was $70,324.

Arrogant too:D

What if you're Asian?

- Forty-nine percent of Asian Americans had at least a bachelor’s degree in 2005.

- The median income for white households was $50,622 last year. It was $30,939 for black households, $36,278 for Hispanic households and $60,367 for Asian households.

Hey if you don't like being black and living in America, move to Cleveland! :lol

Personally I can't wait to move someplace where I can experience a "white privilege" that isn't living in the god damned ghetto and being targeted by angry black youths for no good reason. Pity is ten years ago this neighborhood wasn't in the absolute downward spiral it's in today. Tired of watching things die around me. Gotta move. >:|

tnw

Banned
I did a program this summer in Boston, and I was shocked at the amount of whites and asians. I guess it's not really suprising, but I haven't lived in the US for awhile, and you forget about things like that. People were clearly uncomfortable when I tried to talk about it too.

I think of the about 400 students, there was not a SINGLE black person there. Maybe 5 hispanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom