• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asking out a female friend... bad news bears or worth the risk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
my age guess is 19-20.

like everyone else said - congrats! now i feel bad for being so cynical..sounds like she might have had a lil crush on you this whole time! and maybe she knows you're shy/inexperienced so she did you the favor of making the move. it might really surprise her/turn her on if *you* make a bolder kissing move next time. anyway, keep taking it day by day, and savor the newness of it all =) [i miss it!]

demon said:
confidence is definitely not one of my strong suits. sometimes i'm blown away at how much confidence some ugly geeks have compared to me, but it's not some switch I can just flip on. I don't think most people understand how truly debilitating it is.
Well, confidence means a lot. But, I mean, do you seriously want to have a girlfriend or what? I mean I read that thread where there was this girl at a bar or something and she was totally coming on to you and you did absolutely nothing.

You need serious, serious help. Get someone IRL to help you, or perhaps even better, start a GAF thread.

I think you're very funny, and I think you look incredibly good, so that's why I would really like to see you get a g/f.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Mr. TV Goggles said:
Well, confidence means a lot. But, I mean, do you seriously want to have a girlfriend or what? I mean I read that thread where there was this girl at a bar or something and she was totally coming on to you and you did absolutely nothing.

You need serious, serious help. Get someone IRL to help you, or perhaps even better, start a GAF thread.

I think you're very funny, and I think you look incredibly good, so that's why I would really like to see you get a g/f.
dude, I did make a thread. a year ago. I met up with the girl and nothing came of it. I f**king s-u-c-k at conversation with strangers.

djkimothy

demon said:
dude, I did make a thread. a year ago. I met up with the girl and nothing came of it. I f**king s-u-c-k at conversation with strangers.

I blame the parents. "don't talk to strangers." Now look at us. :(

demon said:
Make another thread. What do you want man? Do you honestly think nothing will ever come from it?

I have no ideas what kind of problems you have (I blame teh intarnets), but whatever problems you have, you can solve them.

Goddamnit. It's so ****ing easy to get a girlfriend it's not even funny. Especially for someone like you. If you go out a lot you will eventually find someone who will actually approach you.

djkimothy said:
I blame the parents. "don't talk to strangers." No look at us. :(
:lol :lol

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I blame the parents. "don't talk to strangers." No look at us. :(
I dunno man. Apparantly when I was a really little kid I was outgoing as hell.....talking to people, crackin jokes all the time, dancing in restaurants (or so my parents say). Don't know what happened. :/ Somewhere along the line I became "that quiet kid"

Goddamnit. It's so ****ing easy to get a girlfriend it's not even funny.
aren't you one of the gaf virgineers yourself?

demon said:
I dunno man. Apparantly when I was a really little kid I was outgoing as hell.....talking to people, crackin jokes all the time, dancing in restaurants (or so my parents say). Don't know what happened. :/ Somewhere along the line I became "that quiet kid"
Oh my God, me too. Well, I was always quiet, but if there were opportunities, I would go crazy and do all kinds of hilarious things.

Sigh. It really sucks. At elementary school I used to have friends and they liked me and stuff, and the girls liked me too. If I were to meet any of them I think they will be kind of shocked by how things are with me. I remember this one time a buddy of mine back then was totally SHOCKED by the fact that I never kissed a girl, and we were only 10 years old or something. His head asplode if he founds out now that it hasn't changed.

demon said:
aren't you one of the gaf virgineers yourself?
Yes, but my situation is a complex one. Or, perhaps my situation isn't complex at all, and I prefer to make myself believe it's complex in order to excuse myself of other issues. Let's just say there is a certain person (female, yeah) in my life that really restrains me, and I haven't seen this person in many, many years. Now the plan at the moment is to find her, and I have an idea on how, so I guess it's all good... but honestly. If I never liked her in the first place, I would knee-deep in pussy. Seriously.
Well, maybe not. But at least I'm confident about it. And confidence goes a long way.
wink.gif

djkimothy

demon said:

Man, I should proof read my posts more often.

But anyways, from what TV goggles is saying, you should be positioned ideally to land a girl. Time to start thinking that that kid that was once you. Good looks with a playful nature should be a winning combination.

Keep trying, like Gretzky says, 100% of the shots you don't take, won't go in.

Boogie

Mr. TV Goggles said:
Goddamnit. It's so ****ing easy to get a girlfriend it's not even funny. Especially for someone like you. If you go out a lot you will eventually find someone who will actually approach you.

Oh yeah, I'm just beating the women off with a stick.

djkimothy

All I have to say is that your time will come. I was lucky with my current gf as I'm a pretty shy guy to begin with. She was the one to actually ask me out at first.

Just be yourself and before you know it someone WILL come into your life.

djkimothy said:
All I have to say is that your time will come. I was lucky with my current gf as I'm a pretty shy guy to begin with. She was the one to actually ask me out at first.

No one will come in your life if all you do is sit at home all day. If, for example, you have some sort of job that allows you to meet a lot of people, especially women, then maybe... But it's not so simple.

Boogie

djkimothy said:

oh look, more empty assurances

Mr. TV Goggles said:

you so funny.

Guys, eyes off me and demon, let's all get back to reveling in YakiSoba temporarily relieving the GAF curse.

djkimothy

Mr. TV Goggles said:
No one will come in your life if all you do is sit at home all day. If, for example, you have some sort of job that allows you to meet a lot of people, especially women, then maybe... But it's not so simple.

Well obviously, I'm just saying, go out with friends to party's and stuff. Be yourself. You won't necessarily pick up that one night but a girl might take notice to you.

Example: I met my girlfriend at a department held "Christmas ball" held for chemistry students. I was just at a table with some friends talking and stuff saying how this party sucks and the future gf came with her date and sat at our table. We talked and stuff but nothing really came of it. A month later we bumped into the hall again and started talking again, one thing lead to another and we're a couple.

Now mind you, you can really see how luck came into play in my situation. So YMMV.

Boogie

djkimothy said:
. A month later we bumped into the hall again and started talking again, one thing lead to another and we're a couple.

Now mind you, you can really see how luck came into play in my situation. So YMMV.

Sidebar-%5Bbones,-web%5D.article.jpg

I don't know what that means.

djkimothy

Boogie said:
Sidebar-%5Bbones,-web%5D.article.jpg

I don't know what that means.

What show is that from?

I'm not going to bother with the details but... It consisted of me giving her my notes for this class and helping her out with her assignments for the class. I was 2 years ahead of her. One day she randomly called me up and invited me for dinner with some of her friends. We started dating after that and the rest is just history.

The sad part is, I think we may break up this weekend. :( really sad.

djkimothy said:
What show is that from?
Bones

I'm not going to bother with the details but... It consisted of me giving her my notes for this class and helping her out with her assignments for the class. I was 2 years ahead of her. One day she randomly called me up and invited me for dinner with some of her friends. We started dating after that and the rest is just history.

The sad part is, I think we may break up this weekend. :( really sad.
:(

Mr. TV Goggles said:
This is a lie

djkimothy said:

This is also lie. Be yourself only works for people who are naturally outgoing and confident. If you're quirky, shy person that has no desire to run their mouths about assinine shit like 99% of the population does, you're ****ed. I'll admit shyness is definately something you can change but the others aren't really. You can lie about your personality but it'll eventually come to haunt you.

djkimothy

Systems_id said:
This is a lie

This is also lie. Be yourself only works for people who are naturally outgoing and confident. If you're quirky, shy person that has no desire to run their mouths about assinine shit like 99% of the population does, you're ****ed. I'll admit shyness is definately something you can change but the others aren't really. You can lie about your personality but it'll eventually come to haunt you.

Well, when I mean be yourself, I meant to just not make a big deal out of something like talking to a girl.

The conversation we struck up would probably be considered boring by most people. But it got us talking none the less. If the conversation is going nowhere then just change the subject. It's not like i had to be "on" for her to notice me.

Alucard

Banned
Getting -A- girlfriend is easy enough. Getting a -QUALITY- girlfriend is another matter.

Even if you're a total dork, you can land a girl...but that assumes you just want any person to make you stop feeling so lonely. Finding someone you're compatible with is a lot more difficult.

djkimothy

Systems_id said:
I know, I was just making the point that getting a girlfriend isn't easy at all. Calculus III is easier than this girl shit.

Yah I know how it feels, I was in a similar situation before I met my current gf. Although my problem was that all the girls I was interested in already had SO's. Even the average looking ones. :/

Just don't give up and people's luck may change. Like mine.

It was quite limiting with me as I don't go to bars and clubs and don't like to/know how to dance (plus it's not a good part of the lake to go fishing if you know what I mean). And so I found it difficult to meet new people. But like I said, office party's are great places to break new ice.

And what is your avatar from? Reminded me of Star Trek: Generations.

Boogie

jiji said:
Do you ****ing mind? Get rid of that spoiler avatar. Some of us aren't caught up.

how could you even tell what the hell is going on in that avatar UNLESS you're caught up?

Boogie

jiji said:
I see a ship that looks like a battlestar in atmospheric free-fall, burning up, maybe disintegrating? It's pretty clear.

Well, it ain't clear to me.

And it's no more of a spoiler than the cuts of the episode shown during the opening credits every week :p

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen
jiji said:
I see a ship that looks like a battlestar in atmospheric free-fall, burning up, maybe disintegrating? It's pretty clear.

I didn't know it was from BSG and that the falling thing was a Battlestar until you brought it up. Thanks alot. :(

Hmmmm...that was a weird first date but the main positive is that you had a successful date and you got your first kiss. Congrats.

Now, I find the girl's behaviour a tad weird too. She either has very little dating/sexual experience as the OP does or she felt pity for him being so awkward on the date. I'd say it's the former rather than the latter.

ForzaItalia said:
Hmmmm...that was a weird first date but the main positive is that you had a successful date and you got your first kiss. Congrats.

Now, I find the girl's behaviour a tad weird too. She either has very little dating/sexual experience as the OP does or she felt pity for him being so awkward on the date. I'd say it's the former rather than the latter.
Wasn't the OP like 16 anyways?

Core407

Banned
Man this situation has disaster written all over it. Seems like the guy is expecting nothing short of marriage. I get the feeling she's more experienced than him and will probably mess with his mind for fun.

YakiSOBA

For your information things are going fine! Hmmpf... people these days.

Sorry for lack of updates, but I figured most people would want this thread to die out instead of hearing me ramble on haha :)

I'm 20, in university (3rd year).

We don't see each other every single day, because sometimes I have classes until 10:30pm and she has morning classes at 8:30am... and if we meet up no one sleeps till the wee hours of the morning -- it happened a few times and we agreed it's not a good idea on those days haha.. since we're both hoping to go to medschool, we're both equally serious about our studies!

we text msg each other ALL the time though (cell phone, ims, etc) and I see her probably 5 times a week... (still doing the badminton thing :D)

I was thinking of linking her this thread, to see if she'd get a kick out of it.. but I've been hesitant... do u think she'll freak out or think it was cute? :p

YakiSOBA said:
For your information things are going fine! Hmmpf... people these days.

Sorry for lack of updates, but I figured most people would want this thread to die out instead of hearing me ramble on haha :)

I'm 20, in university (3rd year).

We don't see each other every single day, because sometimes I have classes until 10:30pm and she has morning classes at 8:30am... and if we meet up no one sleeps till the wee hours of the morning -- it happened a few times and we agreed it's not a good idea on those days haha.. since we're both hoping to go to medschool, we're both equally serious about our studies!

we text msg each other ALL the time though (cell phone, ims, etc) and I see her probably 5 times a week... (still doing the badminton thing :D)

I was thinking of linking her this thread, to see if she'd get a kick out of it.. but I've been hesitant... do u think she'll freak out or think it was cute? :p
You bastard.

Slo

YakiSOBA said:

DO IT

This thread is useless without pictures. Funny, tearjerking, and similiar to that live-action Japanese show (I forget the name) but useless.

LINKING HER THIS PAGE????

Ackbar.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom