• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any Lucid dreamers out there?

Let me start off by saying I always have very vivid dreams that because lucid (where I realize I am dreaming and take control), but recently saw a Tik Tok talking about when you are in a lucid dream that if you ask someone what the date and time was everything kind of goes sideways (figuratively) and it turns into a nightmare, so last night was the first time I remembered to do this trick and here is what happened:

At my parents old house (again!) and went to my old bedroom, there was a kid (looked like it was the kid of one of my friends that I know) playing my Playstation in my old room on my old old CRT TV that I had back in the 90's, realized it was a dream and so I tried to re-hook up the Playstation to larger LCD tv that was mounted on the wall just above the CRT one, looked behind the tv stand to connect everything back to the stereo receiver but the back of stereo was missing all its ports, tried to use lucid powers to create them and the wrong ports kept showing up so I gave up, realized about the whole tik tok date/time trick so I asked what the date time was and everything slowed down as he looked and just stared at me, sky went dark room lights dimmed and everything became ominous (very WTF moment), kept asking him the date/time over and over and each time it seemed like time slowed down further and further until he stopped moving and I was the only one moving (at normal speed), pushed him over to the side and he fell very slowly. Realized it was time to go and had very hard time trying to wake up from my dream, like I lost my lucid powers, apparently I didn't wake up and instead 'woke up' into another dream (dream within a dream), I could feel myself asleep in the dream and kept trying to open my eyes, I felt my left eye open which usually brings me out of the dream but didn't this time, I stayed in the weird dream...after a few minutes I finally awoke and then talked to my wife in bed telling her about what happened and then went back to sleep. (turns out this was the dream within a dream, but very very real feeling). After that, I had another dream (again in my parents old house, this time I'm in the living room) with my mom trying to open her phone (RAZR type phone) with no LCD display, helped her open the phone to reveal chicklets gum on the inside. Realized I was dreaming again and tried asking the same question and the same thing happened, time slowed to a crawl, mom just stared at me blankly, sky went dark, everything became ominous and things outside were trying to get to me (sounded like wolves maybe?), again very difficult to wake up from dream state.

So here is my challenge to all you lucid dreamers like myself (that aren't afraid of nightmare type dreams), next time you are lucid dreaming try to ask someone what the date and time is and let me know what happens, I really didn't think anything was going to happen when I did, but this was probably the craziest lucid dream that I have ever had. The crazy thing is was before I asked the question I thought to myself in my head about the question which I knew it was Tuesday, Sept 19th and probably 1-3am'ish, so my brain knew what the date/time were, but when I asked it to her person in my dream it just makes everything go haywire.

Trunx81

I´m also a vivid dreamer myself (normanosborne.jpg) and trained myself many years ago about how to lucid dream. My trick was to look at my fingers and think "am I dreaming?", because in dreams, I never looked at my hands and got a distorted picture of them when I looked at them in my dreams (maybe I´m an AI, they also have problems with hands). Anyway, this allowed me to "know" that I´m dreaming. The trick is not to wake up after you realize it, which is the harder part.

Will try to ask for the date next time, but for nightmares, I have the concept of the movie mentioned above: I just open my eyes when they get to intense. Works every time. Haven´t had a bad nightmare since ages that I couldn´t wake up from.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I've had one in my life, ever. Was on holiday in Cuba so I'm gonna assume it was down to the extreme heat compared to miserable England.

Didn't manage to do much, I was in some sort of otherworldly version of my hotel room and could see myself in bed. Completely realised I was dreaming and it freaked me out a bit, thought I could wake up by falling. There was nowhere to fall in the room so I smashed my head into the floor to break it, broke through, fell and woke up.

Wild experience. Immediately regretted not just messing around in the dream more but I wasn't ready for it.

Trunx81

I've had one in my life, ever. Was on holiday in Cuba so I'm gonna assume it was down to the extreme heat compared to miserable England.

Didn't manage to do much, I was in some sort of otherworldly version of my hotel room and could see myself in bed. Completely realised I was dreaming and it freaked me out a bit, thought I could wake up by falling. There was nowhere to fall in the room so I smashed my head into the floor to break it, broke through, fell and woke up.

Wild experience. Immediately regretted not just messing around in the dream more but I wasn't ready for it.
I got murdered in Cuba in one of my dreams, at the age of 65. Sitting handcuffed on a chair in a small hut. Most realistic dream I ever had in my life. My wife forbids me to ever go to Cuba because of that ...

I´m also a vivid dreamer myself (normanosborne.jpg) and trained myself many years ago about how to lucid dream. My trick was to look at my fingers and think "am I dreaming?", because in dreams, I never looked at my hands and got a distorted picture of them when I looked at them in my dreams (maybe I´m an AI, they also have problems with hands). Anyway, this allowed me to "know" that I´m dreaming. The trick is not to wake up after you realize it, which is the harder part.

Will try to ask for the date next time, but for nightmares, I have the concept of the movie mentioned above: I just open my eyes when they get to intense. Works every time. Haven´t had a bad nightmare since ages that I couldn´t wake up from.

I have lots of very vivid dreams too, even more if I eat dark chocolate candy before bed, then it gets super crazy! My technique to go into a lucid dream I usually try to back track on where I was previously and trace my steps, I usually come up to a dead end really quickly which lets me know I am in a dream. Usually small details are off as well which will also give me a clue, once I realize I am in a dream then I can take full control and yes trying not to initially wake up is the hardest part, I totally agree with you on that, I can usually fell myself laying it bed for a moment but if I focus I can stay within my dream and then that is where the fun starts! Would you be open to trying to ask the date/time in your next lucid dream and reporting back? Just curious what everyone else gets as a result.

Last edited:

Trunx81

I was dreaming about lucy lawless when i was a teenager and xena princess warrior started if that count.

P62dz7P.jpg

-Minsc-

I know when I was a child I had something close to lucid dreams. Couldn't get the control in them I wanted so I gave up.

As an adult I get really uneasy when attempting to look in a mirror. When doing so I wake up.

I know when I was a child I had something close to lucid dreams. Couldn't get the control in them I wanted so I gave up.

As an adult I get really uneasy when attempting to look in a mirror. When doing so I wake up.

Hmmm, never thought about trying to look in a mirror during a lucid dream, I will have to try that. Another thing is that I NEVER have my cellphone with me, you would think since we are on them so much it would be there in our dreams, but I have yet to have my cellphone in a dream.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I'm jelly at all you lucid dreamers.

With that said. I have a very very vivid and active dream life as it were.

Literally from out of the womb.

Had severe night terrors as a toddler. Crying and screaming with eyes open while still asleep.

Turned into nightmares, waking up and immediately starting crying and or extremely anxious.

I can still vividly recall one particular nightmare in detail from when i was around 4/5/6 years old.

This went on until my very early teens. Until it just normalized having those and that continued for a long while. To this day actually but changes have taking place.

Okay, I'm probably going to go all over the place but bear with me if you're reading this...

Let's see.

My dreams are VERY vivid and "real". I mostly have multiple adventures each night and depending on the dream I'm prone to have the dream emotions/experience linger throughout the day. Although that heavily depends on the intensity of the dream(s) regarding how long said emotions and experience(s) tend to linger.

I'm able to remember whole segments as if it was a movie I've watched the night before. Depends how I wake up.

There were multiple occasions of continuing a dream I've had months before.

I have dreams from my own POV. Or being like a camera following a person having their adventure while feeling what "he/she" is going through.

I can continue a dream after a pee stop.

Regarding lucid dreaming though. I have those mildly where I know I'm dreaming somewhat but those are mostly frustrating ie; looking for and failing to enter my room on some surreal ever changing place.

I've two real lucid dreams (I've ever had or remember) and both had the same outcome.

Best example was me getting aware I was dreaming while walking through a landscape. And the moment I became aware I had to try my hardest to real time create and render the environment to keep going.

Both times I've became lucid i had to actively create the whole world around me to keep the dream going. Couldn't do it for long. A minute I guess before my brain said "bro I can't randomly create and render your environment" if that makes sense.

Anyways. At 41 I still have a very very vivid and active dream life and I've grown to love it.

It's amazing.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I haven't had a lucid dream in a few years, although I used to keep a consistent dream journal and practice some of the known techniques with some pretty cool results.

To lazy/passive to create/maintain a journal. Heard about it a lot #shame

It's like writing down a 60 min episode lol

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Thanks for this thread ThaMonkeyClaw ThaMonkeyClaw

Dreams play a huge part in my life since I have multiple a night and mostly remember them.

It's like a second life in a way.

Also. I can't remember having a nice dream in decades. Fascinating? Interesting? Surreal AF?

Surely.

Never wake me up mid sleep because my demeanor will be...Well, not friendly is an understatement. And I reckon that speaks for what I'm experiencing while sleeping.

Sorry, carry on.

E-Cat

Let me start off by saying I always have very vivid dreams that because lucid (where I realize I am dreaming and take control), but recently saw a Tik Tok talking about when you are in a lucid dream that if you ask someone what the date and time was everything kind of goes sideways (figuratively) and it turns into a nightmare, so last night was the first time I remembered to do this trick and here is what happened:

At my parents old house (again!) and went to my old bedroom, there was a kid (looked like it was the kid of one of my friends that I know) playing my Playstation in my old room on my old old CRT TV that I had back in the 90's, realized it was a dream and so I tried to re-hook up the Playstation to larger LCD tv that was mounted on the wall just above the CRT one, looked behind the tv stand to connect everything back to the stereo receiver but the back of stereo was missing all its ports, tried to use lucid powers to create them and the wrong ports kept showing up so I gave up, realized about the whole tik tok date/time trick so I asked what the date time was and everything slowed down as he looked and just stared at me, sky went dark room lights dimmed and everything became ominous (very WTF moment), kept asking him the date/time over and over and each time it seemed like time slowed down further and further until he stopped moving and I was the only one moving (at normal speed), pushed him over to the side and he fell very slowly. Realized it was time to go and had very hard time trying to wake up from my dream, like I lost my lucid powers, apparently I didn't wake up and instead 'woke up' into another dream (dream within a dream), I could feel myself asleep in the dream and kept trying to open my eyes, I felt my left eye open which usually brings me out of the dream but didn't this time, I stayed in the weird dream...after a few minutes I finally awoke and then talked to my wife in bed telling her about what happened and then went back to sleep. (turns out this was the dream within a dream, but very very real feeling). After that, I had another dream (again in my parents old house, this time I'm in the living room) with my mom trying to open her phone (RAZR type phone) with no LCD display, helped her open the phone to reveal chicklets gum on the inside. Realized I was dreaming again and tried asking the same question and the same thing happened, time slowed to a crawl, mom just stared at me blankly, sky went dark, everything became ominous and things outside were trying to get to me (sounded like wolves maybe?), again very difficult to wake up from dream state.

So here is my challenge to all you lucid dreamers like myself (that aren't afraid of nightmare type dreams), next time you are lucid dreaming try to ask someone what the date and time is and let me know what happens, I really didn't think anything was going to happen when I did, but this was probably the craziest lucid dream that I have ever had. The crazy thing is was before I asked the question I thought to myself in my head about the question which I knew it was Tuesday, Sept 19th and probably 1-3am'ish, so my brain knew what the date/time were, but when I asked it to her person in my dream it just makes everything go haywire.
You had the nightmare because of the expectation of what would happen if you asked the question.

You had the nightmare because of the expectation of what would happen if you asked the question.

I have tried inducing nightmares before, but when I am lucid dreaming I have total control, so even when stuff is getting nightmare'ish I can still control everything and if something is trying to hurt or attack me I just brush it off knowing they cannot hurt me. Even when I did the date/time thing and everything went crazy I was still not afraid or worried, I was more intrigued by what happened, people have also said this stuff happens when you tell the people in a dream that this is all a dream, etc. but I haven't had that happen yet, usually the people 90% of the time the people in my dream just don't believe me, and the other 10% are dumbfounded when I tell them. The way everything turned was so different that any other time before, that is why I am curious if this happens with all lucid dreamers. I use to be scared of my nightmares when I was a kid, which is one of the reasons I taught myself to lucid dream, nothing in my dreams phases me now, but the date/time thing caught me off guard.

I'm jelly at all you lucid dreamers.

With that said. I have a very very vivid and active dream life as it were.

Literally from out of the womb.

Had severe night terrors as a toddler. Crying and screaming with eyes open while still asleep.

Turned into nightmares, waking up and immediately starting crying and or extremely anxious.

I can still vividly recall one particular nightmare in detail from when i was around 4/5/6 years old.

This went on until my very early teens. Until it just normalized having those and that continued for a long while. To this day actually but changes have taking place.

Okay, I'm probably going to go all over the place but bear with me if you're reading this...

Let's see.

My dreams are VERY vivid and "real". I mostly have multiple adventures each night and depending on the dream I'm prone to have the dream emotions/experience linger throughout the day. Although that heavily depends on the intensity of the dream(s) regarding how long said emotions and experience(s) tend to linger.

I'm able to remember whole segments as if it was a movie I've watched the night before. Depends how I wake up.

There were multiple occasions of continuing a dream I've had months before.

I have dreams from my own POV. Or being like a camera following a person having their adventure while feeling what "he/she" is going through.

I can continue a dream after a pee stop.

Regarding lucid dreaming though. I have those mildly where I know I'm dreaming somewhat but those are mostly frustrating ie; looking for and failing to enter my room on some surreal ever changing place.

I've two real lucid dreams (I've ever had or remember) and both had the same outcome.

Best example was me getting aware I was dreaming while walking through a landscape. And the moment I became aware I had to try my hardest to real time create and render the environment to keep going.

Both times I've became lucid i had to actively create the whole world around me to keep the dream going. Couldn't do it for long. A minute I guess before my brain said "bro I can't randomly create and render your environment" if that makes sense.

Anyways. At 41 I still have a very very vivid and active dream life and I've grown to love it.

It's amazing.

That is kind of how my first experiences with lucid dreaming started as well, but eventually I was able to just keep everything together and not wake up. Usually when I try to manipulate stuff in my dreams I start with small stuff like changing the way something looks or getting myself to hover or float, the first time I hovered myself I was hovering over the ground by a foot or so in the superman style, from there I had to kind of figure out how to fly, took me lots of tries to get it right, but now it is pretty easy to do. Just keep practicing small things like that when you are lucid dreaming, you will get it eventually. As for becoming lucid, I just have checks and balances even when I am awake that I do, backtracking time from the day is what is easiest for me, because dreams jump around so much that you will get to a spot that you can remember before which is usually an indication that you are dreaming.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
That is kind of how my first experiences with lucid dreaming started as well, but eventually I was able to just keep everything together and not wake up. Usually when I try to manipulate stuff in my dreams I start with small stuff like changing the way something looks or getting myself to hover or float, the first time I hovered myself I was hovering over the ground by a foot or so in the superman style, from there I had to kind of figure out how to fly, took me lots of tries to get it right, but now it is pretty easy to do. Just keep practicing small things like that when you are lucid dreaming, you will get it eventually. As for becoming lucid, I just have checks and balances even when I am awake that I do, backtracking time from the day is what is easiest for me, because dreams jump around so much that you will get to a spot that you can remember before which is usually an indication that you are dreaming.

Hmm. It's weird. My dreams are vivid AF. Like literally exploring other worlds. But it's like I'm forced to ride it. I have moments knowing I'm dreaming but before I know it I'm on the ride again. Ehh I like it nonetheless.

Why does GAF doesn't show the link in image form like a YT vid anymore when it comes to Spotify?

Last edited:

Hudo

Actively and seriously tried it two times and both times I ended up in sleep paralysis with fairly unsettling auditory hallucinations.

Hmm. It's weird. My dreams are vivid AF. Like literally exploring other worlds. But it's like I'm forced to ride it. I have moments knowing I'm dreaming but before I know it I'm on the ride again. Ehh I like it nonetheless.

Why does GAF doesn't show the link in image form like a YT vid anymore when it comes to Spotify?

I am 48 and I feel like my dreams have gotten more vivid as I have aged, even when they don't go lucid they are still fun to have. If you want to guarantee a vivid dream just eat some dark chocolate candy, that 100% always does the trick if I eat that. I have always wondered if I took a psychedelic if I would be able to control the trip from taking it, but at my age I don't see myself taking any of those things at this point!

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Actively and seriously tried it two times and both times I ended up in sleep paralysis with fairly unsettling auditory hallucinations.

I've had SP a couple times. No external factors just trying to scream to get myself out of it.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
I am 48 and I feel like my dreams have gotten more vivid as I have aged, even when they don't go lucid they are still fun to have. If you want to guarantee a vivid dream just eat some dark chocolate candy, that 100% always does the trick if I eat that. I have always wondered if I took a psychedelic if I would be able to control the trip from taking it, but at my age I don't see myself taking any of those things at this point!

Ha! 41 here. I don't eat sweets but i do take meds. I've tried some mild psychedelics but only during the day. They really made me relax and calm ie: destroyed my trauma symptoms. Had some auditory experiences one time.. Laying on bed and in my head there were faint tribal drums sessions lol. Girl I was with said those are pretty rare. But yeah. Not anytime soon as well.

Hudo

I've had SP a couple times. No external factors just trying to scream to get myself out of it.
For me it helped to snap out of it fairly quickly by just forcing yourself to move an arm or a leg or so. But I remember being exhausted after that. Always felt like you're trying to move your limbs with a 200 kg dude sitting on top of you.

Ha! 41 here. I don't eat sweets but i do take meds. I've tried some mild psychedelics but only during the day. They really made me relax and calm ie: destroyed my trauma symptoms. Had some auditory experiences one time.. Laying on bed and in my head there were faint tribal drums sessions lol. Girl I was with said those are pretty rare. But yeah. Not anytime soon as well.

I know Nyquil or Zzzquil if I take either of those I have VERY crazy dreams, so much to the point that I cannot control them! Certain cheeses will also do it to me as well, not as strong as what chocolate does, but you might try that if you like cheese!

I despise the dreams where you for example have to buy a ticket or open a door with a code and SHIT DOENST WORK.

Very frustrating 😂😂😂

I have had this happen in my lucid dreams before, but using my lucid powers afterwards I could make the door or gate open!

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
For me it helped to snap out of it fairly quickly by just forcing yourself to move an arm or a leg or so. But I remember being exhausted after that. Always felt like you're trying to move your limbs with a 200 kg dude sitting on top of you.

I know what your referring to, the classic SP experience sans the visual "hallucinations"

I've been touched by a hand before going asleep but with SP I'm just not able to move without any of the classic external phenomena (luckily). I just try to scream or make a loud sound, takes a couple tries.... Only happened a handful of times...

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
That sounds unsettling as hell.

Happend a couple times.
Then again my brother had some real experiences that are.. i have no words. So this is nothing compared to his experiences. My cat sleeps next to me and I always feel likes she protects me.

Sounds dumb but hey.

Or rather watches over me.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Yes, but not all the time. I can't do it whenever I want, but I can do it a few times a month.

When it does happen it's probably up there with some of the best experiences I've ever had.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yes, but not all the time. I can't do it whenever I want, but I can do it a few times a month.

When it does happen it's probably up there with some of the best experiences I've ever had.

Guess it's some inherent quality you have.

Even though my dream life has mostly been very negative I'm still grateful seeing how it changed throughout my life and each night I'm like, well, let's see where I'll end up tonight haha

I’ve always wanted to have lucid dreams but never works. Kept doing things like counting fingers and looking at clocks to try train my mind to do that in dreams but no luck.

Every time I go to sleep i take deep breaths and clear my mind or focus on a mantra. I let my body go into a deep relaxation but try keep my mind fully awake. I read that it’s a way to lucid dream with the idea being your body falls asleep but your mind transitions into sleep but stays active. Well it’s obviously not working for me but I still do it because it’s an easy way to get to sleep and I really struggle getting to sleep.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I’ve always wanted to have lucid dreams but never works. Kept doing things like counting fingers and looking at clocks to try train my mind to do that in dreams but no luck.

Every time I go to sleep i take deep breaths and clear my mind or focus on a mantra. I let my body go into a deep relaxation but try keep my mind fully awake. I read that it’s a way to lucid dream with the idea being your body falls asleep but your mind transitions into sleep but stays active. Well it’s obviously not working for me but I still do it because it’s an easy way to get to sleep and I really struggle getting to sleep.

Looking at a clock, watch, the back of your hands when you're awake is just one method. It doesn't work for everyone.

Have you tried other methods?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Yup. Sometimes I get it. Totally random.

The best dreams are chick humping lucid dreams. Wow. I can’t believe a screwed her!

But the most scary ones are also lucid dreams. Sleep paralysis is the worst. Not sure if that is classified as lucid, but that’s where you’re lying there like a statue, but your eyes are open and can see the room. You know you’re fucked and can’t move and got to wait for it to end. It can feel like 5 minutes real time struggling to wake up. But in reality dreams can move super fast. It might only be 10 seconds. But feels like forever. 90% of the time I struggle to wake up. It kind of works but then I go right back to it. After maybe 6-7 times forcing myself to wake up I eventually do.

I get sleep paralysis dreams maybe once every couple months. The worst ones are when I’m dozing off and I can literally feel it going right in sleep paralysis mode.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

I don’t think it’s even possible to control dreams like that. But who knows maybe some people can perfect it doing lucid mode when they feel like it.

I’ve read stuff too about being in a lucid dream and if you stretch your hands and fingers out it makes the dream longer. Never worked.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Looking at a clock, watch, the back of your hands when you're awake is just one method. It doesn't work for everyone.

Have you tried other methods?

I'm so immersed i guess even those classic method's are very hard for me.

Top Bottom