• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 8 |OT| Don’t H8 When Fist Meets Fate

Good times when Harada said "I will never charge for a character".

This MTX thing in fighting games are TOO abusive.
Tekken is a complete package at launch, i have no complains.

The problem is: You love, you'll pay for it.
That trend is called BAD FAITH.

This MTX thing in fighting games are TOO abusive.
Tekken is a complete package at launch, i have no complains.

The problem is: You love, you'll pay for it.
That trend is called BAD FAITH.
I broke my wall for DLC-Characters, it is shit, but hey, in the end we have like 50 in a game. But nickel&diming fucking hats and eyecolors? Fuck em with a rake! And not with the handle side!

SSfox

I'm pretty sure he meant it:

"I will never charge for a character, as long as I can keep milk Arcade revenues while delaying console release"

Reminder, T6 console was delayed for 2 years after Arcade Release. TTT2 by one year, and T7 delay was by 2.5 years.

I said this before. The characters in TTT2 may seem free but at the same time remember the game was release much later on console.

If Arcade was still a thing would be same for T8, release now on Arcade then in 2026 or later on PS5 with bit more. Now it's up to each whether you prefer waiting long ass time with some extras or get the game way sooner but you have to pay some extra to get the additional post launch contents.

Rise of Tomb Raider came on PS4 a year after Xbox with extras, same with Ninja Gaiden 2 etc. It's nothing mind-blowing here tbh

Rise of Tomb Raider came on PS4 a year after Xbox with extras, same with Ninja Gaiden 2 etc. It's nothing mind-blowing here tbh
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 is completely inferior to the original...

If only gamers actually rewarded that, when Harada said that it was during the Tekken Tag 2 release and that went in to be the biggest bomb despite it being a great game.
It had fundamental problems with new mid-crush mechanic and mindnumbingly long tag juggles. The 1v2 option was also wack.

Last edited:

YCoCg

It had fundamental problems with new mid-crush mechanic and mindnumbingly long tag juggles. The 1v2 option was also wack.
That's barely something only the competitive players would notice, content wise Tag 2 was packed to the brim and any DLC characters were all released as patches so everyone got them. The stages and characters looked great too and the music was brilliant.

Then Tekken 7 comes along with paid DLC characters, season passes, etc, and becomes one of the best selling Tekken games and you're all here wondering why they'd do this.

That's barely something only the competitive players would notice, content wise Tag 2 was packed to the brim and any DLC characters were all released as patches so everyone got them. The stages and characters looked great too and the music was brilliant.

Then Tekken 7 comes along with paid DLC characters, season passes, etc, and becomes one of the best selling Tekken games and you're all here wondering why they'd do this.
I did not purchase a copy of Tekken 7 after an awful arcade experience, but I purchased Tekken Tag 2 twice and play it at least every month. I have no idea why the former sold as well as it did given the piss poor console releases. Must have been a lot of repeat purchases on PC and some guest character fans. A lot of those customers will probably not be coming back for Tekken 8 either and many will stick with a single version.

Last edited:

NT80

Final Showdown and Ultimate Showdown AI is serviceable at best. If that is your point of reference then you have no idea what Virtua Fighter 4/5 (vanilla) AI is at the top levels... Tekken 8 AI is crap for preparing for matches because they are exclusively trained in shitty mirror matches. They are incapable of reacting to other opponents in a meaningful way.
I've played all of them. VF4 vanilla did not have good AI. VF4 Evo was a big improvement. VF5 vanilla on PS3 was a step back. They improved it for the 360 version but it wasn't better than 4Evos.
T8's AI is not solely base on training it on mirror matches. It learns as a player plays against other people too but with so many characters and moves it's bound to have some gaps in how it responds until it has that experience.

There's a lot of variation in the quality and some like the Kazuya ghosts cannot seem to ever do their combos right.
Try downloading
Dustiel's Leroy,
Dewglider's Lili,
Joka's feng, Reina, Jin
Kenji's Asuka
GMfizzle's Lee
These ones are pretty good but I'm hoping they will all improve as time goes by since unlike ghosts from previous games they aren't static and can still evolve due to them going off online play data.

I've played all of them. VF4 vanilla did not have good AI. VF4 Evo was a big improvement. VF5 vanilla on PS3 was a step back. They improved it for the 360 version but it wasn't better than 4Evos.
T8's AI is not solely base on training it on mirror matches. It learns as a player plays against other people too but with so many characters and moves it's bound to have some gaps in how it responds until it has that experience.

There's a lot of variation in the quality and some like the Kazuya ghosts cannot seem to ever do their combos right.
Try downloading
Dustiel's Leroy,
Dewglider's Lili,
Joka's feng, Reina, Jin
Kenji's Asuka
GMfizzle's Lee
These ones are pretty good but I'm hoping they will all improve as time goes by since unlike ghosts from previous games they aren't static and can still evolve due to them going off online play data.
VF4 Evolution AI was worse than vanilla's. AI training mode in the original is by far the best that has ever existed in a fighting game. Also, Evolution's AI was more predictable than vanilla's, which would really mix things up. VF5's AI is slightly worse than VF4's but leaps better than future revisions and any Tekken. Only explicit AI training I am aware of in Tekken 8 is in the mirror match AI ghost battle. I don't even know if there is a search function for ghosts in Tekken 8. I just grabbed the ones with the highest battle points for each character and if they really failed to be entertaining I replaced them with the next ones down. I even downloaded the AI for Player Match opponents that bested me. They were all cannon fodder unlike the players they claim to imitate.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Ok I think I'll just take a long break from this game. I've come to truly hate it. The tipping point was Eddy. How the fuck does this character have worse animations with worse signs where he's going than T3 from 1998? His movement is headache-inducing too. The absolute incompetence at Bamco right now.

I'm pretty sure he meant it:

"I will never charge for a character, as long as I can keep milk Arcade revenues while delaying console release"

Reminder, T6 console was delayed for 2 years after Arcade Release. TTT2 by one year, and T7 delay was by 2.5 years.

I said this before. The characters in TTT2 may seem free but at the same time remember the game was release much later on console.

If Arcade was still a thing would be same for T8, release now on Arcade then in 2026 or later on PS5 with bit more. Now it's up to each whether you prefer waiting long ass time with some extras or get the game way sooner but you have to pay some extra to get the additional post launch contents.

I agree, but Ninja Gaiden 2 on 360 is faaar superior imo.

NT80

VF4 Evolution AI was worse than vanilla's. AI training mode in the original is by far the best that has ever existed in a fighting game. Also, Evolution's AI was more predictable than vanilla's, which would really mix things up. VF5's AI is slightly worse than VF4's but leaps better than future revisions and any Tekken. Only explicit AI training I am aware of in Tekken 8 is in the mirror match AI ghost battle. I don't even know if there is a search function for ghosts in Tekken 8. I just grabbed the ones with the highest battle points for each character and if they really failed to be entertaining I replaced them with the next ones down. I even downloaded the AI for Player Match opponents that bested me. They were all cannon fodder unlike the players they claim to imitate.
That's not my experience at all. I found the original VF4's AI in Kumite mode to be pretty bad considering they'd hyped this prior the PS2 release. I thought the train you own AI was a useless gimmick. I kept trying with it but it never worked remotely well. I wasn't surprised they ditched that idea after and never brought it back. Tekken 6 tried that too but again it never worked well at all despite really trying..
I don't know if you can search for ghosts in T8 by name but if you go the leaderboard and go to rank points section you can filter by character and find the ones I mentioned as they are around the top 20 for those characters.

SkylineRKR

TTT2 is a great game imo, nothing wrong with it...I really dunno why the sales was so bad!

I think the main reasons were it came out on the back of T6 which was overshipped and not universally liked.

And by the time TTT2 came out there was an influx of fighting games, including bad ones like SF x Tekken which likely hurt the franchise as well. Plus, TTT2 was seen as way too complicated as well. Still, it would've been a no-brainer to at least release a PS4 version at launch.

ThaGuy

After the new patch the game turned into a fucking mess..
Bugs everywhere, balance is still shit especially Eddy just arrived.. battle pass, mtx,..
I still play the game but really sad about the game current situation..
My biggest issue is they changed the wall splat mechanics. Now a lot of moves just simply miss because of it. It's not game breaking but it does need to be fixed.

Crayon

Ige been thinking I should dip back in but don't think I'm ready to try again yet. :messenger_downcast_sweat: My friend who plays fg's less than me but better than me asked if he should play and I told him to wait for next season to see where it goes.

Character balance doesn't really affect me at my level. The the universal stuff that is the problem for me. I really really want to see some stuff toned down. Nerf power crushes, nerf rage arts, nerf anything about heat. Nerf SOMETHING, please.

I've still been following the game because I am just waiting for that good news to drop... Any day now. I should really just play some kof and come back later.

I've still been following the game because I am just waiting for that good news to drop... Any day now. I should really just play some kof and come back later.
Ironically, I have not wanted to play KoF XV since they dropped the Advance Strike update. Such a dumb mechanic...

I've never been more than a tourist of kof... Advanced strike? Tell me it's not more of this mario party shit in our games. :messenger_downcast_sweat:
It basically reverses the flow of any trade for half a bar of super meter. It also causes the game to freeze and glitch out in certain instances. If I could downgrade to get rid of it, I would.

Last edited:
Top Bottom