• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag 2 Sales Discussion - Or why everyone should have bought this game

Sayah

No it's not.

Yeah, what a convoluted mess. No thanks. Just sit and gather dust Tekken.

I would also appreciate if you addressed the second part in my post.

And if you do find it to be a convoluted mess (it's just a fun, unprecedented feature), you don't have to use it. It's optional extra content for the many people that clearly have already used it and have had fun with it. No one is forcing it down your throat.

Nyx

I have played a lot of fighters this gen and own a lot as well.

TTT2 is the winner though, so I agree with the OP in every way.
Buy this people!

Bought it on Wii U and played the shit out of it. I got 104:17 hours logged. I just wish it had a VS CPU like SF4. I really like picking the stages and my opponents. I'd play it more if it had that.

Neff

DEATH™;57395056 said:
But then, it baffles me still when games like Marvel do something worse and people call it "hype"...

Not trying to bash but sometimes the double standard against Tekken is astounding to say the least...

The way the combo is presented makes a psychological difference, I think. In Marvel you're knocked into the air, machine-gunned with a couple of tag combos hoping you don't lose to much life, fall to the ground, and you're back in play. With Tekken every punch and kick is brutally, lovingly accentuated, and a competent juggle usually lasts longer than the average Marvel combo. All the while, the guy on the receiving end is saying to himself "wtf can I do?" The contrast makes it exhilerating for a good Tekken player, but not so much for the guy being dealt, especially if he/she isn't so good at plugging their defence and tends to eat a lot of juggles.

SUPARSTARX

PS3 & Xbox360 copies are in my consoles often! This game should've sold more copies.

All the extra and higher quality stuff they put in here helped give me more incentive to learn, even though I'm still awful at the game, I've a greater appreciation for watching the game on streams.

AAK

You're new to the series and having trouble learning a character's moves? Instead of giving you a mode that tells you the input and confirms when you've done it correctly like every single other 3D fighter, here's this thing where you can make a clusterfuck of a character.

I assume you mena the same thing as the command training feature in VF5:FS? It's there. Just go to practice mode, go to the command list, and the game automatically allows you to keep that move/string on the screen and cycle to whatever move you want next without having to go back into the pause menu and such. There are also some default combo's they try out too in that command list in the practice mode. So there most definitely is a tool to help people get the inputs of moves down.

VF's version is still better because it displays frame data, but for the purpose of the discussion the feature is fully functional and present.

The way the combo is presented makes a psychological difference, I think. In Marvel you're knocked into the air, machine-gunned with a couple of tag combos hoping you don't lose to much life, fall to the ground, and you're back in play. With Tekken every punch and kick is brutally, lovingly accentuated, and a competent juggle usually lasts longer than the average Marvel combo. All the while, the guy on the receiving end is saying to himself "wtf can I do?" The contrast makes it exhilerating for a good Tekken player, but not so much for the guy being dealt, especially if he/she isn't so good at plugging their defence and tends to eat a lot of juggles.

Woah... dude no. the length of a super alone sometimes takes 70% of the juggle time in a Tekken game.

Good game the only thing missing from it was a 1 vs 1 mode ala KOF.

Yes it's there. You can play solo vs solo in any game mode of your choice.

Sayah

I don't know about that. Marvel has got OTG's and the combos in Marvel will generally last much longer than combos in Tekken. And practically any hit in Marvel (outside of probably many projectiles) can lead to a combo. Sample vid

In Tekken, only launchers or counter hits will lead to combos and most launchers can be punished on block.

I bought it on 360 and Wii U. I played the 360 version for about 20 hours and haven't even tried the Wii U version yet.

It's good.

CPS2

The only thing I can really criticise about Tekken is, the combo system isn't quite as exciting as most 2D fighters. TTT2 has some new stuff, bound from T6 and the tag assault stuff, but everything really seems to fit into a very defined structure and it kinda makes the game a bit less interesting than some other games with far less cool features and modes.

Aside from that, it's arguably the best fighter out there. Objectively it probably is, imo, if that makes sense.

Ban Puncher

I haven't thoroughly enjoyed Tekken since the PS1 days but I triple dipped the shit out of TTT2 because it's a damn fine game.

Fraeon

Have we been playing/watching the same game? Lightning loops, infinites and all that fun lasts a crapload and kills your character in one go no matter how big and bulky your character was supposed to be. You could argue that worse players don't do that stuff but worse players in Tekken don't really go for really long wall carry juggles either.

I do think that a lot of games -- especially Tekken and Marvel -- today are a bit too combo oriented. I like the game before juggles but someone gets launched, the juggles are a bit tiresome to watch. You basically have 4 of them for every team: a wall carry and a wall combo for when one character is on point. I think SF4's combos are of a good length and even those could be less. Damage isn't the issue, their length is.

So despite all of this, why is a game like this not meeting sales expectations (this is a rhetorical question)? This is not just a quirky, niche title that should sell more. This is a game with extremely high productions. It's a game that goes above and beyond and, in many respects, epitomizes fanbase service.

Great post Sayah and yes, I do wholeheartedly agree. This game deserves so much more than it is given credit for. I mean scoring lower than most, if not all of the other current fighters to my knowledge on Metacritic and professional reviews site in my opinion is inexcusable and criminal. Even if you do not appreciate this game, you must admire the amount of heart, passion, effort and generosity that went into this title from the hard working developers. I think most gamers and reviewers do not recognize the quality of this title and prefer more flash and pizazz over substance and depth. I blame it on the shift/new direction in gaming dominated by certain genres and gamers wanting games where they can jump in a play effectively ASAP. That is why a healthy amount of games have tutorials and hand holding during gaming now.

It seems like fighting games could unfortunately be losing their popularity again and most casual gamers do not want to invest or have the patience to venture into a game as complex as TTT2. Admittedly, TTT2 can be an intimidating and complicated game, so I think that is another reason gamers shy away from it, especially when they attempt to compete online which is probably terrifying for them once they find out their diminutive button mashing skills will not work. Also, DOA5 came out in the same month and presumably grabbed some sales from fighting game casuals since it is a little easier to learn I think. Personally, I love depth whether it's a fighting game, action game or even an RPG. It's keeps me coming back for more when there is always room for experimentation and new, uncharted things to discover. Not to mention it feels rewarding once you properly learn the gameplay mechanics. I'm probably in the minority now though. I am just hoping they will not drastically alter Tekken 7 because of this incident. I like TTT2 so much I got both PS3 and X360 versions.

luokyl

Tekken 6 really burned me out on the Tekken series.

I had no desire to play TTT2 after the dissapointment I had after T6. After I actually bought TTT2 though, I loved it.

I know the Wii U version had a few graphical downgrades (though I guess some exclusive Nintendo-related extras to compensate), but how do the other versions compare to one another? Was there ever a PC version?

Very few differences. I think the X360 version looks 10% better than the PS3 version in certain areas(deeper blacks, more vibrant colors), but I noticed the snow/Christmas stage has slight slowdown when the action gets hectic. Despite that they are very close and you cannot go wrong with either version. The PS3 version probably has a more active community and the PS3 controller imo is better for this game though.

I found it hard to get into. Not the games fault, 3d fighters and tag mechanics are just not my thing.

So here I an wondering if it is worth the time so I decided to go online and at least see if it was active in my region.

Online pass required. It was at this point I sold it and moved on. All the points in the OP like no Dlc characters are a big positive, but personally that pass was just a big negative for me. Had I done more research I wouldn't have purchased it at all.
Same thing that stopped me from buying Dead or Alive 5 and Soulcalibur 5. Still took a chance on TTT2 because it looks like the ultimate Tekken experience before they can move onto something new.

alstein

Have we been playing/watching the same game? Lightning loops, infinites and all that fun lasts a crapload and kills your character in one go no matter how big and bulky your character was supposed to be. You could argue that worse players don't do that stuff but worse players in Tekken don't really go for really long wall carry juggles either.

I do think that a lot of games -- especially Tekken and Marvel -- today are a bit too combo oriented. I like the game before juggles but someone gets launched, the juggles are a bit tiresome to watch. You basically have 4 of them for every team: a wall carry and a wall combo for when one character is on point. I think SF4's combos are of a good length and even those could be less. Damage isn't the issue, their length is.

This is one thing I like about VF, outside of a few situations, you generally don't run into long combos. They do a little more than Tekken combos in a little less time.

ST to me was perfect on combo length, it was short, brutal, and you got back to the game quick or round over. SC series does a good job with this as well. Blazblue tends to be the worst offender, but hearing that BBCP puts it back in the other direction. Skullgirls used to be terrible about this, but they're shifting back towards sanity as well.

Tekken is a bit conservative with changing the core of the game- some of that I think is reaction to Tekken 4 (and VF got conservative after VF3) Hardcore fans of a series tend to be resistant to change, and Tekken's fanbase is super-hardcore in the arcades (similar to VF, maybe even moreso now)

This is why I think Tekken has an identity crisis right now, but Tekken vs SF is a great opportunity to do some experimental things and figure out what works without touching the core series.

Personally, my experience with Tekken is that it's great fun with FG friends who aren't Tekkenheads but understand basic concepts, but when you start playing people who break the game down, your options become super-limited and cautious play tends to rule the day more than any other fighter. Maybe if I understood it better I'd enjoy it more, but that's a lot of effort and execution work for a marginal reward.

I own both games and I think Marvel combos can be more devastating and even longer than TTT2 and that is saying a lot. They said this is a glitch, but TTT2 doesn't have anything on the magnitude of this to my knowledge. :p It seems people adore the lengthy, deadly combos from Marvel, but do not like them in TTT2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YAeZsX_-7Q

I'm kind of Tekken fatigued after playing Tekken 5 and 6 a lot, but I did buy TT2. Only played it once though. Mostly because the people I play with don't play anymore.

Shantom

You've convinced me to have a look at deals for the Wii U version. I haven't played a console Tekken in many years, and never really got into the series, so this should feel fresh to me.

Edit: How does local multi work on the Wii U?

Binabik15

But, I bought it. Almost full price and not waiting for bomba price, even.

Great game, but I would have liked the two usual costumes on X and square, with the custom menu on triangle. Faster loads as well. Otherwie, I'm too much of a scrub to comment on balance or netcode or anything. I've played every Tekken since 3(not owning all, though), but only against couch friends and never online. I practice until Ican do almost all of Kings chain on a controller, but I never manage to use the during fights, then we stop playing, then I forget the inputs and muscle memory fades, then a few years pass and there's a new one.

My King versus my brother's Armor King is a sight to behold when we get into it. Best/most brutal punches and throws in all of gaming and two masked hulks crashing into each other until one doesn't get up anymore. That's what Tekken is to me.

I'd honestly buy a next gen Tekken where inly lighting, framerate, AA, load times, resolution and maybe clipping (Samaritian cloth physics, drool) is improved. Maybe deforming soft body physics, but that'd be icing on the cake.

Were the sales any worse than previous Tekken titles? Projections have been crazy this generation. Leading to so many closures and layoffs.

Well, Tekken 6 sold 3.5 million units worldwide. Tekken 5 sold around 6 million units. The original Tekken Tag Tournament sold around 4.5 million units. So yeah, TTT2 sales were worse than previous entries. Expectations were not much higher, though, but it missed them anyway.

noodalls

The question I have is, SCV only just came out on PSN (I believe it was digital download on XBL for a lot longer). How much does this influence the SCV vs TTT2 sales?

I double dipped (PS3 PSN and disc) btw. And would buy again on Vita given the chance (why does team ninja bring their titles, but not Namco).

noodalls

The only thing I can really criticise about Tekken is, the combo system isn't quite as exciting as most 2D fighters. TTT2 has some new stuff, bound from T6 and the tag assault stuff, but everything really seems to fit into a very defined structure and it kinda makes the game a bit less interesting than some other games with far less cool features and modes.

Aside from that, it's arguably the best fighter out there. Objectively it probably is, imo, if that makes sense.

Hoping for Tekken Triple Tag Threat Tag Tournament Three for PS4. Two tag buttons, three character teams. Should be easy enough for the PS4 to handle. Tag once per character in combos, both tag buttons together for some fancy combined move (Chrono trigger style combinations.) If only.

I bought the limited edition on 360 and the WIIU edition At the WiiU launch. Best tekken ever made IMO. The Content, gameplay and the Ost are just amazing. And don't forget all important dlc were free(thanks MR Katsuhiro Harada) and added directly in the WIIU edition.

It deserve better.

NeonZ

So despite all of this, why is a game like this not meeting sales expectations (this is a rhetorical question)? This is not just a quirky, niche title that should sell more. This is a game with extremely high productions. It's a game that goes above and beyond and, in many respects, epitomizes fanbase service.

A game being competitive or not to advanced players generally doesn't change its own numbers that much, although it might hurt a sequel. So, TTT2's good reception among enthusiastic players just didn't help its sales much. And, in spite of the reception, the gameplay does nothing new to attract people who didn't care about Tekken before.

Then, we get to the actual content. TTT2 certainly has a lot of content, but I think the main issue is that the focus of the content was just, well, wrong? The game had more than 1h20m of CG cutscenes, yet used them for Arcade mode endings, rather than an actual more guided and linear story mode that could get players into the characters/game. People will never pick up a game to see Arcade endings nowadays, but they might for a story mode.

Tutorials also never really will be an attractive feature - they can help the lack of accessibility, but no one will buy the game for them, so the whole "Combot" mode likely was just wasted resources, not really very attractive to either veterans or new players. They really missed the mark on adding an actual custom character feature there by focusing just on the custom moveset.

Regarding the cast, Tekken already had taken an approach of having as many characters as possible. So, none of the really popular characters, popular enough to sell games, were really missing. Adding the remaining missing characters and some former npcs would never really drive the game's sales.

MrT-Tar

I hadn't played Tekken since the early PS2 days, but I bought this a few weeks ago. I've played it loads since and I'm absolutely loving it. Some mechanics are a little hard to get used to, but I didn't find it too hard as a whole to get into. I bought it for £16, and Tekken Ball alone is worth far more than that.

Doomshine

Then, we get to the actual content. TTT2 certainly has a lot of content, but I think the main issue is that the focus of the content was just, well, wrong? The game had more than 1h20m of CG cutscenes, yet used them for Arcade mode endings, rather than an actual more guided and linear story mode that could get players into the characters/game. People will never pick up a game to see Arcade endings nowadays, but they might for a story mode.

...but this is what fans wanted. So many people complained about having to play Scenario Campaign in T6 to get the endings (which wasn't true btw, just a common misconception).

Pretty much everything about this game is fan service or feedback. The characters included, the tutorial, the DLC, the online... are all a response to what fans wanted.

Malajax

One reason I didn't buy it is my massive backlog. I love fighting games, but I often get to a wall where I can't progress and stop soon after picking them up. Didn't want to put $60 to waste.

The other reason is that I just don't like Tekken's style. For a 3d game, it plays way too much like a 2d fighting game (IMO). It's also kind of stiff, given previous experiences. And then there's the intimidating massive character roster mixed with a steep learning curve. By the time I get good at it the community probably won't be there anymore.

Maybe I'm ignorant, but its just a series I can't get into.

I'm an old school tekken fan. Got all the titles and bought TTT2 day 1 and only played it for a few weeks... I don't know... it bores me?

Why Tekken didn't succeed:

1. You need ten years worth of legacy Tekken experience to even enjoy it (note: you need a few more years to win legitimately)

2. That goddamned requirement to "move" properly to even mount any kind of defense

3.Story mode has endings, sure. But they can still do better (see MK9 and Injustice)

Kyari

I picked up TTT2 at full price after having not played a Tekken game since Tekken 2.
It was alright, but I got bored pretty easily and kind of regret the purchase. Looked pretty, though.
Would have been way more awesome if every fighting game had Soul Calibur levels of character customisation.

Metalmarc

Reasons i can think of

1) streefighter X tekken - the whole charachters on the disc, i know TTT2 dis not, but by that point people had had enough, maybe some don't know that it's got free characters

2) tekken games in one year is too much for some people, especially if they paid full price for sxt, and didn't get what they hoped for, topped with the fact that tekken tag one HD was released just 4 months before SXT
And TTT2 just 6 months later,

Bsically 3 tekken related games in under 12 months is too much

And of course mortal kombat 09 was loved and people were waiting for injustice i guess

Kysen

It was the only fighting game that I could actually get into without being bogged down by insane button timings (SF) or huge combos (BB). Its a shame the training systems in many of these fighters fall short.

In terms of content I'd say BB has more than Tekken. Also what happened to that 2nd side scrolling mini game from Tekken 3, has that been in any subsequent games?

Looks like your trying to rationalize something that is out of your control.

Don't waste your time figuring out why people didn't and enjoy the fact that you did and you are.

If they come around they do and if they don't then so shall.

Bought, love it, but that D pad on the Xbox makes me want to smash my pad!

Good game though would still be playing it if I didn't lose my disk :( and also my mates just got too good for me as they would play through the tutorials etc and I'm the sort who likes to just jump in

zoukka

This was the last Tekken I never actually played. Pre-ordered it, opened it and played it once. Dunno what happened. Maybe it's too similar to T5 and T6.

Content and features are still icing on the cake. If people don't like the cake, they won't eat it.

It doesn't matter how good and in-depth the game is once you attain competency, Tekken's console sales will continue to dwindle unless they change the core of the game. I think Tekken 7 will be a pretty significant departure in terms of gameplay for the series and it will be very successful in bringing the masses back. The difference between this time and Tekken 4 is that Namco will have another game (Tekken x Street Fighter) to give these new ideas a trial run.

.la1n

Loved T5:DR, skipped out on T6 and loved the crap out of TTT2. Had it pre-ordered for what seemed like forever, even purchased a new fighting stick in anticipation. It really is my favorite fighter this generation and they did a wonderful job with adding extras without adding cost. It's unfortunate it hit just shy of their expectations but I think a remix of the roster could helps things if Tekken 7 is their next path.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
OP...
you-salty-o.gif

Top Bottom