• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter Reboot Could Be in the Works – Rumor

By way of Atlus and SEGA insider, Midori (@MbKKssTBhz5) a VF reboot is allegedly in the works. That’s right, the same insider who broke The Answer DLC for Persona 3 Reload has just dumped a bunch of information regarding the upcoming SEGA brawler.
The upcoming Virtua Fighter reboot is rumored to have all the modern bells and whistles that players expect from modern fighting games such as Street Fighter 6. More specifically, The alleged reboot will also feature tons of customization options, and both an online and an offline mode. In addition, the rumored VF will have cross-play, rollback netcode, a story mode, and more. The story mode will have a main storyline along with side stories and new characters, similar to what Tekken 8 recently did.
Midori suggested that the VF reboot is aiming to take a bite from the e-sport/ fighting game community apple, despite a long hiatus. Will it be enough for SEGA’s fighter to claim a spot in the tough FGC? Or will it be a relic like other SEGA franchises? Time will tell. Again, this is just a rumor and as the internet always warns you, take it with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

splattered

If it is good I will buy it day zero.

Would be cool if they included some of the previous titles via emulation as reward unlocks.

Bry0

If I can’t have more dead or alive then a virtua fighter reboot could be the next best thing I guess.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

cireza

The only memory i have with virtual fighter is that they plays like walmart version of tekken.
Well the memories I have are that VF paved the way for the genre and Tekken was basically a rip-off with an absurd story, lighting effects and ridiculous/tasteless character design to cater to a "different and wider" audience. Which worked quite well.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
To be fair though, we don’t even know if The Answer DLC for P3R is coming… nothing has been confirmed or announced.

To be fair though, we don’t even know if The Answer DLC for P3R is coming… nothing has been confirmed or announced.
Midori is a known Atlus/Sega leaker so there's a good chance this leak might come to pass.

But anyway, that's why the post is tagged as 'rumor'. :p

Edit: Btw, the guys over at gamingleaksandrumours even did a tier list, and Midori currently sits in the 'Tier 2 - Generally Reliable' category - https://old.reddit.com/r/GamingLeaksAndRumours/wiki/index

Last edited:

Aion002

The only memory i have with virtual fighter is that they plays like walmart version of tekken.

Well the memories I have are that VF paved the way for the genre and Tekken was basically a rip-off with an absurd story, lighting effects and ridiculous/tasteless character design to cater to a "different and wider" audience. Which worked quite well.

Ps1 x Saturn rivalry.

Good Times Drink GIF by Men in Kilts: A Roadtrip with Sam and Graham

Alx

i thought it plays the same like tekken?
It's closer to Dead or Alive or even Soulcalibur (or more exactly : it opened the path to games like DOA and SC, since Virtua Fighter is the original 3D fighter). It has a button to block/guard (G), one for punch (P) and one for kick (K), while Tekken was more inspired by Street Fighter controls (two buttons for punch, two buttons for kick, and press backwards to block).
Many people will say "it's more technical and blablabla" but actually the P/K/G gameplay is quite simple and intuitive, you can do a lot with simple inputs if you understand the flow of the combat.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Yeah, VF offense is actually pretty straightforward outside of going super optimal. Frame data advantage/disadvantage is much easier to keep track of than other 3d fighters so you can can develop some fairly reliable flowcharts to get started with. It's really the defense where you have to get disciplined pretty early on.

El Muerto

Fuck i hope this is true. Virtua Fighter is the only fighting game i care about. Still play VF5 regularly since it's backwards compatible on Xbox.

Neff

Many people will say "it's more technical and blablabla" but actually the P/K/G gameplay is quite simple and intuitive, you can do a lot with simple inputs if you understand the flow of the combat.

This. If you can play Tekken, SC or DOA, jumping into VF is a cinch. It's the easiest 3D fighter to pick up.

Sounds like a monkey's paw situation. After the last update to Ultimate Showdown added in-game advertisements and the one before that added Tekken skins my faith in the future of the IP is at an all time low.

Fuck i hope this is true. Virtua Fighter is the only fighting game i care about. Still play VF5 regularly since it's backwards compatible on Xbox.
I own the X360 Online one and cannot play it. Are you only referring to the worst version of 5 (deceptively named Final Showdown) released in some form on every modern platform?

Last edited:

El Muerto

Sounds like a monkey's paw situation. After the last update to Ultimate Showdown added in-game advertisements and the one before that added Tekken skins my faith in the IP is at an all time low.

I own the X360 Online one and cannot play it. Are you only referring to the worst version of 5 (deceptively named Final Showdown) released in some form on every modern platform?
The 360 version of VF5 Final Showdown.
74lmi80.jpg

Neon Xenon

I want to see Virtua Fighter return. The first entry I played was VF4: Evolution on PS2 (outstanding, just for being a tome of VF knowledge). But I've always wondered how you bring the series back now and set it apart enough to make it stand out without taking away from the essence of Virtua Fighter.

We'll see, I suppose. I'm anxious, but open to see what gets done with it.

shit, I thought this was virtual-on.

On a side note, there's a Virtual-On Masterpiece Collection (OMG, OT, and Force) on PS4 that goes on sale on PSN fairly often for ¥1,980 (about $20 USD). Worth looking into. This site can let you know when it goes on sale if you set a notification for it.

RAIDEN1

I thought there was a revival of the franchise with the recent release exclusive to PS4/5? As they wanted to test the water to see how much appetite there was for a new VF game?

Papa_Wisdom

Can’t wait for more virtua fighter, gotta be Leon for the old school or Vanessa for the newer characters that I usually main.

Mephisto40

If they charge full price for it and it doesn't have a properly fleshed out story mode in it, it's just going to get shit on and forgotten very quickly

DaGwaphics

Interesting, I've never played any of these and thus no nostalgia at all for any of the characters. I wonder what they could add to stand out.

Interesting, I've never played any of these and thus no nostalgia at all for any of the characters. I wonder what they could add to stand out.

Some semblance of story for the SP folks. The "story" of VF is really, really barebones. That's been the problem with VF since 3 or so, in that Tekken always had better single player content while VF was basically graphics and mechanics. They didn't keep up with what home audiences wanted.

cireza

Some semblance of story for the SP folks. The "story" of VF is really, really barebones. That's been the problem with VF since 3 or so, in that Tekken always had better single player content while VF was basically graphics and mechanics. They didn't keep up with what home audiences wanted.
This is wrong though. VF5 has the best single player gameplay I have seen in a fighting game with the Quest mode. Which basically mimics playing against real players with a variety of different AIs for every single character and going around, doing tournaments.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
VF is a franchise I found too late, and has not gotten love with a real new entry.

I would love a new title to tool around with. Day one if they ever do it.

This is wrong though. VF5 has the best single player gameplay I have seen in a fighting game with the Quest mode. Which basically mimics playing against real players with a variety of different AIs for every single character and going around, doing tournaments.

Eh, I disagree, it's interesting from a design perspective in that it feels like you're 1v1 with another player, but it can't compare to playing through a fun story campaign like any of the NRS games, Tekken, or even the latest SF.

As deep as VF may be - with only 1 punch button and 1 kick button it will never get the mass appeal of Street Fighter and Tekken.

Unless they change this in a reboot.

cireza

Eh, I disagree, it's interesting from a design perspective in that it feels like you're 1v1 with another player, but it can't compare to playing through a fun story campaign like any of the NRS games, Tekken, or even the latest SF.
I don't see why it can't compare. All of these are meaty single player contents, simply done differently. You prefer Story based content, this is what I understand. But actually, the Quest mode is much more interesting than a story that will be done once and forgotten forever. Quest offers replayability.

cireza

As deep as VF may be - with only 1 punch button and 1 kick button it will never get the mass appeal of Street Fighter and Tekken.

Unless they change this in a reboot.
If you play VF by only using Punch or Kick separately, you have access to less than half of the different attacks and combos.

If you play VF by only using Punch or Kick separately, you have access to less than half of the different attacks and combos.
That is not quite right. It uses every combination of P, K, and G (P+K is power punch, K+G is power kick, P+G is throw, and P+K+G is context sensitive).
True and I'm aware of that, but still Tekken's 1 button per limb and SF's separate buttons for light/medium/hard punches and kicks are instantly more appealing to most people.

Also having to hold a button to block isn't much fun.

cireza

Being able to block without having to walk backwards is pretty great actually. You can also input attacks while guarding, and release at the last moment to press the button that validates the attack... Always found this much better than having to hold back in 3D fighting games. A matter of preferences I guess.

Last edited:

NT80

True and I'm aware of that, but still Tekken's 1 button per limb and SF's separate buttons for light/medium/hard punches and kicks are instantly more appealing to most people.

People often complain about the block button because there simply not accustomed to it. Most fighters don't have one but it has it's advantages like being able to move and stop instantly (this is especially vital in Soul Calibur for instance) or buffer while blocking at the same time. VF3 actually had a dodge/dash button too which also had it's advantages. I wish they'd kept it.

Top Bottom